$250k = Rich. $172k = "Modest"

I don't understand why he said "resentment"...

Not because they can't distinguish between "I want..." and "I need..." Because they can't distinguish that while the state's paying them welfare.

Had that discussion numerous times with my wife's niece (who is on welfare): "But I need a smart phone!" "No, you need to feed your kids. You want a smart phone." "But I need to be able to get on Facebook!"

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I didn't know Illinois had a God given right to all of Lake Michigan.

Is your definition of "work together" mean that Indiana should learn its proper place and get in line behind Illinois?

Mightily progresive.

Dude... The canals run through Illinois... If not for that, the ports of IN on Lake Michigan and say Jeffersonville (on the Ohio river) would never link up.

You are totally wrong... That end of the lake is the terminus of the Seaway... That terminus is tied into the inland and all points south. Without the system in place in Illinois, IN would lose a ton of business.

And I don't know what the !@#$ you are talking about with the "proper place" comment? :blink: :blink:

Think about a state like Indiana that is "doing well" even know... They never had anything to go bust and now they sit geographically in the cat-bird seat. You don't think federal money plays into the health of their economy? ESPECIALLY shipping.

Not because they can't distinguish between "I want..." and "I need..." Because they can't distinguish that while the state's paying them welfare.

Had that discussion numerous times with my wife's niece (who is on welfare): "But I need a smart phone!" "No, you need to feed your kids. You want a smart phone." "But I need to be able to get on Facebook!"

I understand. Yet, I didn't get they were not getting fed... Maybe the TV was adding to the study problems though.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Dude... The canals run through Illinois... If not for that, the ports of IN on Lake Michigan and say Jeffersonville (on the Ohio river) would never link up.

You are totally wrong... That end of the lake is the terminus of the Seaway... That terminus is tied into the inland and all points south. Without the system in place in Illinois, IN would lose a ton of business.

And I don't know what the !@#$ you are talking about with the "proper place" comment? :blink: :blink:

Think about a state like Indiana that is "doing well" even know... They never had anything to go bust and now they sit geographically in the cat-bird seat. You don't think federal money plays into the health of their economy? ESPECIALLY shipping.

I understand. Yet, I didn't get they were not getting fed... Maybe the TV was adding to the study problems though.

So to summarize, Indiana should be content with whatever scraps Illinois feels are worthy to throw in its direction?

Yes, I'm sure that's how it went down. Because you get SO much more for furniture than a big flat screen TV. :rolleyes:

But what's wrong with a used 26" CRT TV? Not huge or flat enough? Hell, you could probably even get someone to pay you to take it off their hands.

Don't be talking like that! You see how the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce jumped all over Obama's ass for his comment he made about "blowing one's money in Vegas." You don't what Sony, Toshiba, or Best Buy to take umbrage with your comments!

So to summarize, Indiana should be content with whatever scraps Illinois feels are worthy to throw in its direction?

What are you dense... Or just acting it? That has nothing to do with it. What is with this mentality (superior complex) you express?:wallbash:

Then you don't understand...the point wasn't that they weren't eating, the point is that people have a thoroughly whacked sense of priorities and risk/reward analysis, and when those people are on welfare it tends to piss off the people paying for it.

Don't be talking like that! You see how the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce jumped all over Obama's ass for his comment he made about "blowing one's money in Vegas." You don't what Sony, Toshiba, or Best Buy to take umbrage with your comments!

Those are evil rich companies.

Then you don't understand...the point wasn't that they weren't eating reinvesting soundly, the point is that people corporations have a thoroughly whacked sense of priorities and risk/reward analysis, and when those people corporations are on welfare government bailouts it tends to piss off the people paying for it.

now I hear you

[

And if that lakefront property was on Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, or the Finger Lakes and you wanted to take your vessel to the Bahamas for the winter... How would you get it there by water, which can be done all free from toll.

FWIW, there is ton of people using the system... And the richer they are, the more the system is used.

You completely missed my point. The point was that sometimes the people that pay way more in taxes (in this case re taxes)receive much less in services. It had nothing to do with your canals or the inate superiority of Illinois.

What are you dense... Or just acting it? That has nothing to do with it. What is with this mentality (superior complex) you express?:wallbash:

How about answering the question? Why should Indiana be happy with Illinois handouts? Doesn't Indiana have to provide for its citizens?

No, it comes out of the general fund. Yes they do get a free ride from the public and the shipping companies (on the inland) There is a fuel surcharge on the inlands for commercial vessels (now, $.19 a gallon) that goes into the inland trust fund which goes to maintaining certain projects. Notice I said: certain... Projects have to qualify for that money.

What about "harbors of refuge?" Where is that funded from?

Who do you think funds the Intercoastal Waterway?

Hit the "gold coasts" of FLA arounf MIA and your see a lot of rich folk using that infrastructure... Dredging still comes Congress.

Why do you think at my work I have to record every bit of data that pertains to what and when is locking through... Down to the minute... That data is passed on to district and then division (at Vicksburg) for Congressional appropriation. Traffic falls and funding from the general may fall to. At one time there were other water systems in play at the federal level, like in Wisconsin, those have since been passed to the state for funding and upkeep.

Boaters do pay property taxes on their boats.

How about answering the question? Why should Indiana be happy with Illinois handouts? Doesn't Indiana have to provide for its citizens?

Get off the superior complex.

sym-bi-ot-ic:

2 : a cooperative relationship (as between two persons or groups) <the symbiosis…between the resident population and the immigrants — John Geipel>

There really is no question to answer... We are all equal. This isn't zero-sum.

It isn't a handout. What are you talking about? Be happy with Illinois' handouts... Huh? You provide for your citizens by not eventually hurting them. This isn't a power game between states... I don't know what world you live, but yours isn't even remotely on my moral compass.

Yet, I will play along andl try to enter your world... I suppose Indiana should be happy because having Illinois around is a major bulk of their economy. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Still, nobody is beneath anybody.

Anyway... Back to topic.

Try again about refuting that a bulk of wealthy folk's leisure (and living) is not financed off the backs of the people... Especially when it comes to waterway and coastal use... I will prove you wrong.

Boaters do pay property taxes on their boats.

True! Good point... That is another reason why I see so many rich folk living off their vessels... Don't have to kick in their too... Yet, they are high-end users of the systems in place.

[

And if that lakefront property was on Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, or the Finger Lakes and you wanted to take your vessel to the Bahamas for the winter... How would you get it there by water, which can be done all free from toll.

FWIW, there is ton of people using the system... And the richer they are, the more the system is used.

You completely missed my point. The point was that sometimes the people that pay way more in taxes (in this case re taxes)receive much less in services. It had nothing to do with your canals or the inate superiority of Illinois.

It has nothing to do with superiority... Those are your thoughts.

What about all the folk that live of the prime realestate that intercoastal created. I'm not just talking Illinois here... That is just the tip of the iceberg were the rich feed off the backs of the people.

Those are evil rich companies.

What are you talking about? Huh? They are not evil... They are protecting their livelyhood. Do you think they want people to prioritize other products (say furniture) over their product (TV that is sold at Big Box store).

There is nothing evil here... Except that as a government, our leaders can't favor one way of living over another!

Get off the superior complex.

sym-bi-ot-ic:

2 : a cooperative relationship (as between two persons or groups) <the symbiosis…between the resident population and the immigrants — John Geipel>

There really is no question to answer... We are all equal. This isn't zero-sum.

It isn't a handout. What are you talking about? Be happy with Illinois' handouts... Huh? You provide for your citizens by not eventually hurting them. This isn't a power game between states... I don't know what world you live, but yours isn't even remotely on my moral compass.

Yet, I will play along andl try to enter your world... I suppose Indiana should be happy because having Illinois around is a major bulk of their economy. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Still, nobody is beneath anybody.

Symbiotic, yet not bite the hand that feeds you? How's Illinios feeding that hand? Are you saying that a geographic accident gives Illinois a greater entitlement to the spoils of Lake Michigan?

Then you don't understand...the point wasn't that they weren't eating, the point is that people have a thoroughly whacked sense of priorities and risk/reward analysis, and when those people are on welfare it tends to piss off the people paying for it.

And where do they get those whacked priorites and who is teaching them otherwise. Through mental osmosis.

Not that I agree... But to quote Glen:

"Why should the people on welfare be happy with handouts and scraps."

Then... This really isn't about what the !@#$ JSP and his wife think.

Symbiotic, yet not bite the hand that feeds you? How's Illinios feeding that hand? Are you saying that a geographic accident gives Illinois a greater entitlement to the spoils of Lake Michigan?

BINGO! We have a winner.

Just a NYC does on the east coast and just as BFLO lost on it's dead-end of the lake. Just as NOLA has to its advantage. What are we in the process of taking those natural spoils away? Don't kid yourself, a place like Indiana also enjoys that cat-bird seat.

If not for geographic accident, nothing would exist. You won't borrow money to start a corn farm in Antarctica.

True! Good point... That is another reason why I see so many rich folk living off their vessels... Don't have to kick in their too... Yet, they are high-end users of the systems in place.

Once again but in English please.

Yes they are high end users and they pay for that use with their proprty taxes so you rant is completely blown out of the water...pun intended.

Once again but in English please.

Yes they are high end users and they pay for that use with their proprty taxes so you rant is completely blown out of the water...pun intended.

Sorry all requests have to be delivered by certified mail!

What property taxes IF THEY LIVE ON THE BOAT? NO they don't if they are registered in some other country. (Also depends on the state if in the US and how most skirt the issue with registration).

Dude, seriously.. I can't finish this asswhipping with all of you... It is 1400 and gotta pick up the kidlets in 20... I will be back at 0200 or so... Yo may be sleeping, but you can answer all my questions in the morning when head is fresh.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Sorry all requests have to be delivered by certified mail!

What property taxes IF THEY LIVE ON THE BOAT? NO they don't if they are registered in some other country. (Also depends on the state if in the US and how most skirt the issue with registration).

Dude, seriously.. I can't finish this asswhipping with all of you... It is 1400 and gotta pick up the kidlets in 20... I will be back at 0200 or so... Yo may be sleeping, but you can answer all my questions in the morning when head is fresh.

They pay property taxes based on the value of the BOAT! So if they live on the boat they still pay property taxes. An really man, how many affluent people do you know that live on their boat. Live aboards are usually trailer trash on the water.

It has nothing to do with superiority... Those are your thoughts.

What about all the folk that live of the prime realestate that intercoastal created. I'm not just talking Illinois here... That is just the tip of the iceberg were the rich feed off the backs of the people.

What does this have to do with the point I made? I've noticed that by and large you liberals never really answer the questions put to you or stay on point. Again, my point was that there are circumstance where the people live off the backs of the rich.

Yes, we know, you hate corporations. Capitalism evil.

I just finished reading about that, in fact. A book called Surviving the Killing Fields.

I wouldn't say I hate corporations or that I think capitalism is evil. I'd say I hate fraud, I hate corporations that expect help from the American government but feel no obligation towards America, I hate that our military policy and our foreign policy seems to have more to do with corporate interests than national security or human rights.