$250k = Rich. $172k = "Modest"

Out of curiosity, who here is pulling in $250K?

I'll start: not me.

FYI, it's not exactly tactful to talk about your salary. Here are the people who know my salary:

My fellow shareholders in my business

My business accountant and payroll person

My personal accountant

My wife

My investment advisors

And that's about it. When my daughter gets a little older, she'll find out too.

That's pretty much how it should be. If you want to do this and maintain anonymity, do it as a poll with ranges. People may lie but you'll get a better read.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My investment advisors

well, if MERMF doubles in the day trading game you're gonna tell us all who that is right? (that was meant as a joke- but seriously MERMF at 18 cents- where'd you find that?)

Edited by birdog1960

FYI, it's not exactly tactful to talk about your salary. Here are the people who know my salary:

My fellow shareholders in my business

My business accountant and payroll person

My personal accountant

My wife

My investment advisors

And that's about it. When my daughter gets a little older, she'll find out too.

That's pretty much how it should be. If you want to do this and maintain anonymity, do it as a poll with ranges. People may lie but you'll get a better read.

How about this instead: we reject this attempt at personalizing a political point.

You cannot treat the guy who risked everything, worked for 10 years, and finally succeeded in building a business from scratch the same as some "idle rich" limousine liberal.

You are punishing the first guy with massive income tax, and rewarding the idle rich guy with lowered capital gains tax. :blink: Democrats have fooled themselves into going after the wrong people, or, they are doing it at the behest of their limousine liberal masters.

The first guy creates jobs. The second guy does nothing until the first guy does. Then, the second guy throws money at the first guy, and then whines if he doesn't get a 15% return on his money in year 1...while doing nothing to help the first guy.

This is why we need to move to the flat/fair tax immediately. This "attack the people who create jobs and not the idle rich" mentality has kept the economy in the gutter for the last 2 years.

WTF else do you people need to see? The stimulus failed. Keynes was wrong. Are you all morons? We are currently living Keynesian outcomes, and you think MORE Keynes will solve the problem? Stop taxing income, and start taxing wealth.

If we created this: either start investing your wealth, or, we will tax the hell out of it, the economy would be out of trouble in 3 months.

You cannot treat the guy who risked everything, worked for 10 years, and finally succeeded in building a business from scratch the same as some "idle rich" limousine liberal.

You can if you're a limousine liberal. Or a poor liberal who's jealous of people who earn success.

well, if MERMF doubles in the day trading game you're gonna tell us all who that is right? (that was meant as a joke- but seriously MERMF at 18 cents- where'd you find that?)

That's not an advisor-recommended one and that by all accounts is a lottery ticket not for the faint of heart. That's why I only spent 10% of that portfolio on it. It's next stop could be zero. I have owned it in real life but do not anymore. It's one I watch in anticipation that it will break my heart someday and quintuple in 5 minutes.

Libtard logic at its finest.

Wealthy = "More than Im making."

It's a simple question, meatball, no need for spin. And nobody's asking for a W2, just above or below $250K.

It cracks me up that not one of you yet even claims to make $250K/year, yet all of you conservative honks cry about the higher tax for people making more. You must all be very principled people when because I doubt you care so much about somebody else's problems when it comes to just about anything else. :rolleyes:

It's a simple question, meatball, no need for spin. And nobody's asking for a W2, just above or below $250K.

It cracks me up that not one of you yet even claims to make $250K/year, yet all of you conservative honks cry about the higher tax for people making more. You must all be very principled people when because I doubt you care so much about somebody else's problems when it comes to just about anything else. :rolleyes:

Actually, that's the whole point. What people make is their own business, and penalizing somebody simply because they make a penny more than some arbitrary high number is ridiculous and accomplishes nothing but a victory for envy politics.

Actually, that's the whole point. What people make is their own business, and penalizing somebody simply because they make a penny more than some arbitrary high number is ridiculous and accomplishes nothing but a victory for envy politics.

Why choose this to take a stand on if you have nothing to gain or lose personally? Aren't there like 1000 other things to worry about that do actually affect you and your family?

Well, there is the whole "being against the principle of setting an arbitrary definition of 'wealthy' at which the government can take what you earn and give it to others."

Because even if I don't make $250k...what about in ten years, when they decide "wealthy" is $150k...? The principle of "You're too rich, so anything you make above X is ours" is a bad principle whether it impacts me directly and immediately or not.

Why choose this to take a stand on if you have nothing to gain or lose personally? Aren't there like 1000 other things to worry about that do actually affect you and your family?

Because that number is an arbitrary number, which is picked solely because it sounds like a big number and does nothing but sop up to the populism.

taxation should be on a ratable basis. Flatten the tax, eliminate the deductions.

Well, there is the whole "being against the principle of setting an arbitrary definition of 'wealthy' at which the government can take what you earn and give it to others."

Because even if I don't make $250k...what about in ten years, when they decide "wealthy" is $150k...? The principle of "You're too rich, so anything you make above X is ours" is a bad principle whether it impacts me directly and immediately or not.

and this is what i argue is the real reason many people who won't immediately gain from conservative policy support it: they believe someday they will. in most cases that's an unrealistic expectation (and of course i have no way to guess in tom's case).

and what then is the reason "limousine liberals" support policies that will undoubtedly hurt them financially? i would argue that it's compassion and a sense of fairness. what do you conservatives think the motivation is? i think rkfast was heading that way but i couldn't discern his meaning.

And again maybe you don't understand discretion. Make the anonymous poll if you want a truer count. I didn't share my salary when I made 20,000/year and I don't do it now. It's gauche.

It's funny that you link those-that-want-lower-taxes with uber-wealthy. I was a lower-tax crusader when I made $10/hour in 1992 and I'm still one today.

The same for the definition of "poor"

The American poor own cars, cell phones, and LCD TVs are they really poor?

We subsidize their food and heat as they spend on luxuries.

The same for the definition of "poor"

The American poor own cars, cell phones, and LCD TVs are they really poor?

We subsidize their food and heat as they spend on luxuries.

right. no american goes to bed hungry, cold, wet, or sick without available treatment. and the tooth fairy leaves money under their pillows when there teeth rot out.

right. no american goes to bed hungry, cold, wet, or sick without available treatment. and the tooth fairy leaves money under their pillows when there teeth rot out.

I never said that were no poor in American, but I do see as I described above.

But because we are not allowed to judge people, they are provided assistance.

Instead of assisting the people that I described above we should be explaining that before they are given another dollar taken from someone elses income, they should be more responsible with their own money and by necessitiesinstead of luxuries.

Then there would be a lot more money to help the one that really need it.

Don't worry, those people will be swimming in altruistic charitable table scraps if we make the Bush tax cuts permanent for all.