$250k = Rich. $172k = "Modest"

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love our IT people. I just wish I could speak better Hindi or Mandarin to better converse with them..

You can joke all you want, but, you never miss a chance to be critical of internet business, or, come down on the side of screwing us with taxes, regulation, or whatever. Since I have been here, every single time the "tax the internet" issue, or something similar comes up, you go on the warpath.

Why? Because you like us?

There would be no need to act stupid if your types focused more energy on getting computers to work than wondering how the next Captain will get the Enterprise to fly again.

See, the hostility rears it's ugly head!

:lol:

There would be no need for things to break so often if you people would make a damn decision and stick with it.

(uh, actually, keep not doing that please. My bundle is sorta predicated on you acting the way you always have. :D)

I was gonna post that in your defense... Then there is there is the ubiquitous :

ID-10T error

As much as I like to rag on the idiocy of people like GG, it's people like him that provide job security to people like me :devil:

I have worked for contractors to the government.

Now do you understand why I'm so adverse to the government running things :ph34r:

:lol: :lol:

Gotta admit... It is totally screwed up at that level!

We don't even bother calling them... Just fix it ourselves... Or install it... We would totally be "off the grid" (outside of the actual network) if we didn't have to order hardware through them. The worst thing they did was centralize IT.

:lol: :lol:

Gotta admit... It is totally screwed up at that level!

We don't even bother calling them... Just fix it ourselves... Or install it... We would totally be "off the grid" (outside of the actual network) if we didn't have to order hardware through them. The worst thing they did was centralize IT.

I disagree. Centralizing IT is a good thing.

90%+ of any enterprise IT (gov't included) is OS and generic office stuff (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, simple database). Get everyone on the same page, then worry about the specific details later

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Come work for the gov't... It is even worse. You will never be out of work! :P

Actually, I've worked in the 10 major industries including the government...and health care is by far the most F'ed in terms of knowing what they are about as an organization at any given moment during the day. Just the other day, had a Department Head RN tell me: "I didn't get into nursing to manage". :wallbash: My response: "Do you think I got into consulting to fill out time sheets?"

They think they are absolved of everything every other worker in every other industry has to do, because they give care. You want to know why the cost keeps going up? "It's a mystery!" :rolleyes:

I disagree. Centralizing IT is a good thing.

90%+ of any enterprise IT (gov't included) is OS and generic office stuff (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, simple database). Get everyone on the same page, then worry about the specific details later

Spoken like a hardware guy.

Spoken like a hardware guy.

Nope

Hardware is easily replaceable. Software requires additional troubleshooting.

The end user doesn't care if they are running AMD vs Intel, Windows vs Linux. Get them all a common work environment, User Interface and Office Productivity Suite.

Nope

Hardware is easily replaceable. Software requires additional troubleshooting.

The end user doesn't care if they are running AMD vs Intel, Windows vs Linux. Get them all a common work environment, User Interface and Office Productivity Suite.

And in doing so, you get them overpriced bloatware that doesn't speak to their business processes/rules, and provides no way for organizational memory to be created? :blink:

Then, you wonder why we have 2, 10-person departments, sitting 10 feet from each other, whose entire job is to create near-identical(2 fields difference) spreadsheets.* Each month, the same thing, and it takes them the entire month to close each division's/region's books, people can't take vacation or it's a-holes and elbows for everybody else.....but at least they have a common work environment = file server where they can save those spreadsheets? FAIL!

*First Tennessee Mortgage, Addison, Texas, 1999. Root cause: two pissant VPs that hated each other, the "common work environment" was just the vehicle

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Oh, look, Booster is contributing the only thing he can to the thread: an emoticon.

What a shocker! Booster, are you going to tell us you "agree" without being able to tell us why, again?

Tell us your legal and/or historical analysis of the basis for progressive taxation. <-- :lol: Who am I kidding?

I already posted my thoughts in this thread, but you probably missed it as it did not refer to you in any way. Getting your goat is predictable and easy and for a big picture type, you completely miss how we do it every time. Predictable and dumb is probably not how you picture yourself one imagines, but several of us have joked about how easy it is. We all use the some variation of the same tactic you boob. This bit is a gift, not a put-down, but I bet you don't get that either.

As to my thoughts, I will expound:

•  
  • Eliminate all current federal taxes
  • Eliminate the Social Security program or modify it so that people could manage the money in some fashion (people above 45 or so would continue to get benefits, everybody else, gets squat).
  • Establish say a 3% tax on all income under 25k, which becomes progressive above that level. We can increase the percentage if Social Security is to be maintained, but my personal preference would be for say a set percentage that you could choose how to invest for yourself. The default would be a safe investment of some sort (is there such a thing anymore?)
  • Once you pass a net worth of say five million, you get a small % of tax assessed to that wealth that is progressive is well.

I am more than willing to quibble over the numbers, but my plan seems more equitable and provides transparency. Everyone realizes what they are paying and has at least some some "skin in the game".

but my plan seems more equitable

"What’s that? Ah — Equitable? Don’t talk about — equitable? You kidding me? Equitable? "

Freaking moron. When it comes to money, where does it say things have to be equitable? :lol:

You don't like it, grab a pitchfork and revolt... The numbers (people) are in your favor... I hope you get a lot of recruits. :P

Must be a cold day in hell... Was this an EiI "drive by insult."

:D

"What’s that? Ah — Equitable? Don’t talk about — equitable? You kidding me? Equitable? "

Freaking moron. When it comes to money, where does it say things have to be equitable? :lol:

You don't like it, grab a pitchfork and revolt... The numbers (people) are in your favor... I hope you get a lot of recruits. :P

Must be a cold day in hell... Was this an EiI "drive by insult."

:D

My plan is fairly liberal so will get ripped apart, way to miss the point and be an OCin.

You can joke all you want, but, you never miss a chance to be critical of internet business, or, come down on the side of screwing us with taxes, regulation, or whatever. Since I have been here, every single time the "tax the internet" issue, or something similar comes up, you go on the warpath.

See, the hostility rears it's ugly head!

:lol:

There would be no need for things to break so often if you people would make a damn decision and stick with it.

(uh, actually, keep not doing that please. My bundle is sorta predicated on you acting the way you always have. :D)

This response is precisely why you're the biggest joke of this board. Very few people can actually pick fights with the right & left with equal fervor because none of them appreciate your brilliance.

This response is precisely why you're the biggest joke of this board. Very few people can actually pick fights with the right & left with equal fervor because none of them appreciate your brilliance.

i think it also has to do with the consideration of only one or two possibilities to explain findings. many explanations are not even imagined much less analyzed. for example, one option to agreeing or disagreeing with him (that he apparently didn't consider) is ignoring him. superficial analyses are almost always incorrect or at the very least, incomplete.

Actually, I've worked in the 10 major industries including the government...and health care is by far the most F'ed in terms of knowing what they are about as an organization at any given moment during the day. Just the other day, had a Department Head RN tell me: "I didn't get into nursing to manage". :wallbash: My response: "Do you think I got into consulting to fill out time sheets?"

They think they are absolved of everything every other worker in every other industry has to do, because they give care. You want to know why the cost keeps going up? "It's a mystery!" :rolleyes:

Sorry but costs aren't going up because we, the care givers, don't know what we are about. Here's a hint: you (i.e. the non care givers, and that's a huge group of people ranging from the gubment, to the lawyers, to the insurance companies, to the patients, to yes, even IT) are the greatest part of the problem.

Edited by Doc

Actually, I've worked in the 10 major industries including the government...and health care is by far the most F'ed in terms of knowing what they are about as an organization at any given moment during the day.

But not to worry. The government's now involved; they'll straighten it out.

Sorry but costs aren't going up because we, the care givers, don't know what we are about. Here's a hint: you (i.e. the non care givers, and that's a huge group of people ranging from the gubment, to the lawyers, to the insurance companies, to the patients, to yes, even IT) are the greatest part of the problem.

Huh? :unsure:

Yeah it is. Simple fact that salaries are too high proportional to all the rest us working slobs out there. How can starting wages in other fields/jobs/profession be going down?... While wages in the health care professional continue to remain high. I know , I know demand... Yet, that is a situation headed for disaster. Then ontop of it, insurance is going up, up, and up outpacing any raises/COLA's people get. Bottom line is that the heatlh professions gotta start working for LESS.

As a care giver... Do you get full medical on top of a bloated salary? Last year, my employer (the gov't) and myself paid out over $15,000 in premiums for my family of four... And it is only going up this year. It was going up at the same high rate even BEFORE the HC bill.

Somebody has to step up and take a hit an it shouldn't be the people who have been getting fleeced all these years. It is time the health care givers (everybody) make concessions starting from the TOP to the bottom. Highest wage earners to the lowest. Every other worker's lifestyle is changing... So should the health professions.

Now don't get me wrong... I don't know how this would get done and how the system would not implode... But there has to be some sort of catalyst to drive the wages of care givers down.

I wouldn't mind this whole race-to-the-bottom crap if one important cog in the machine kept pace: Health care.

But not to worry. The government's now involved; they'll straighten it out.

~Essayons!

Who is truly going to apply that concept I mentioned above?

I sense your frustration... And understand the mockery... But who is gonna step up AND TRULY BE ON THE LEVEL? As sad as it sounds, what is happening MAY be our only hope. Yet, in this harsh climate... We get dolts that deconstruct/mock it! :wallbash:

I don't see HC getting better through the years left unchecked with human nature.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois