Stl Bills Mock Draft V2.0

Stl Bills

1. Nick Fairley DT Auburn

Fairley is a freaking beast. If you've watched Auburn at all this year you know what I'm talking about. The guy is great against the run (he has literally body slammed some RBs this year) but can also get to the QB with either his brute strength or an assortment of pass rush moves. He could play 3-4 DE and move inside and play DT next to KW in our 4 man fronts (I'm assuming we will be running our hybrid 3-4/4-3 next year). Nobody is a sure thing but this guy seems pretty close. On the downside he does lose his cool sometimes and a lot of people consider him a dirty player. I think he would bring some much needed attitude and skill to our defensive front.

2. Aldon Smith DE Mizzou

Yeah this is a homer pick but its a legit one. Word around Columbia, MO is Aldon Smith will be declaring for the 2011 draft. This guy is a freak, he's a poor man's Bowers as he isn't quite as stout against the run but is every bit of the pass rusher Bowers is (thats right I just said that). Again, I'm assuming we are going to continue to run a hybrid defense and he would add some much needed pass rush in passing situations. Aldon was slowed this year by fracturing his tibia but came back after three games and is now 100% healthy. If he were to stay in school he could potentially be a top 10 pick in 2012. Even so its very possible after the combine he'll vault into the second half of the first round but for now I think there is a chance he'll be around in the second and could be a huge pick for the Bills.

Here is what draftcountdown.com's Scott Wright wrote about Smith:

Even though it’s still early most hard-core draftniks already have a pretty good idea about who the top prospects for the 2011 NFL Draft will be. However, there is always a surprise or two. In fact, a year ago at this time Jason Pierre-Paul was still a relative unknown. Missouri DE Aldon Smith isn’t coming out of left field like Pierre-Paul did but you rarely hear his name mentioned in discussions about top underclassmen, even though he is one of the countries premier pass rushers. That is a mistake though because Smith could ultimately rank among the best prospects available next April.

Smith burst onto the scene last year when he racked up 19.0 tackles for a loss and a Mizzou single-season record 11.5 sacks. For his efforts Smith earned Freshman All-American honors and was named the Big 12’s Freshman of the Year. Through three games this year Smith has tallied 4.0 tackles for a loss and 3.0 sacks, so any concerns about a sophomore slump can be put to rest. At 6-5 and 260 pounds with extremely long arms and a rangy frame, Smith already has the type of size that you look for and he still has room to fill out and get bigger. An outstanding athlete with 4.6 speed, great quickness and a tremendous burst, Smith is an absolute terror off the edge and has a great motor to boot. Smith has also shown the ability to play on his feet in space and that versatility opens up some intriguing positional possibilities. Smith didn’t even start playing football seriously until his junior year of high school so it’s scary to think how good he will be with additional experience and polish. It’s not hard to see why pro scouts are drooling over a stud pass rusher with that kind of talent and potential.

Smith is technically just a sophomore but he redshirted in 2008 and it has been three years since his high school class graduated, which means he is eligible to enter the 2011 NFL Draft. It used to be relatively rare to see redshirt sophomores go pro but that has changed in recent years, with Michael Crabtree, Aaron Maybin, Knowshon Moreno, Jeremy Maclin, and Earl Thomas all leaving for the NFL with two years of college eligibility remaining. If Smith chooses to follow their lead after this season he would most likely be a first round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Maybe even an early first rounder. Aldon Smith isn’t a household name yet but he belongs in the conversation with top underclassmen pass rushers like Robert Quinn of North Carolina and Da’Quan Bowers of Clemson.

3. Colin McCarthy ILB Miami

McCarthy is a tackling machine who is very stout in the Middle and plays with great instincts. He's not a great athlete but he should be one of the safer picks at LB in this years draft. The guy makes up for a lot of his athletic short-comings with his great instincts. Kind of reminds me of Brandon Spikes who the Pats drafted last year.

4. Rashad Carmichael CB Va Tech

Super Athletic corner with great ball skills. Can lose focus at times.

4. John Moffit OG Wisc

Big Strong Guard who has had a great year blocking for Wisconsin's potent rushing attack. Could possibly move outside to RT but will more than likely compete for the RG spot or at worst provide great depth to line.

5. Roy Helu RB Neb

Tough Runner with good power and burst. Doesn't have elite speed but would be good insurance policy if something were to happen to Fred.

6.Chris Hairston OT Clemson

Athletic enough to play either Tackle position. Probably better suited for RT, has had some knee problems.

7. Andre Smith TE Va Tech

Good Blocking TE with some athletic ability.

Flame Away!

Edited by Stl Bills

Fairley is a freaking beast. If you've watched Auburn at all this year you know what I'm talking about. The guy is great against the run (he has literally body slammed some RBs this year) but can also get to the QB with either his brute strength or an assortment of pass rush moves. He could play 3-4 DE and move inside and play DT next to KW in our 4 man fronts (I'm assuming we will be running our hybrid 3-4/4-3 next year). Nobody is a sure thing but this guy seems pretty close. On the downside he does lose his cool sometimes and a lot of people consider him a dirty player. I think he would bring some much needed attitude and skill to our defensive front.

2. Aldon Smith DE Mizzou

Yeah this is a homer pick but its a legit one. Word around Columbia, MO is Aldon Smith will be declaring for the 2011 draft. This guy is a freak, he's a poor man's Bowers as he isn't quite as stout against the run but is every bit of the pass rusher Bowers is (thats right I just said that). Again, I'm assuming we are going to continue to run a hybrid defense and he would add some much needed pass rush in passing situations. Aldon was slowed this year by fracturing his tibia but came back after three games and is now 100% healthy. If he were to stay in school he could potentially be a top 10 pick in 2012. Even so its very possible after the combine he'll vault into the second half of the first round but for now I think there is a chance he'll be around in the second and could be a huge pick for the Bills.

McCarthy is a tackling machine who is very stout in the Middle and plays with great instincts. He's not a great athlete but he should be one of the safer picks at LB in this years draft. The guy makes up for a lot of his athletic short-comings with his great instincts. Kind of reminds me of Brandon Spikes who the Pats drafted last year.

4. John Moffit OG Wisc

Big Strong Guard who has had a great year blocking for Wisconsin's potent rushing attack. Could possibly move outside to RT but will more than likely compete for the RG spot or at worst provide great depth to line.

5. Roy Helu RB Neb

Tough Runner with good power and burst. Doesn't have elite speed but would be good insurance policy if something were to happen to Fred.

Athletic enough to play either Tackle position. Probably better suited for RT, has had some knee problems.

Flame Away!

Love the Fairley, Carmichael, & Moffit picks....the rest....meh?

One thing about the Moffit pick though....doesn't he play left guard? How difficult would it be for him to transition to RG? I can see his potential to move to RT.

2. Aldon Smith DE Mizzou

4. John Moffit OG Wisc

5. Roy Helu RB Neb

Flame Away!

The biggest concern when you talk about Smith projecting to the NFL is his strength and bulk. He is going to be stuck with the tweener label because he doesn’t have enough bulk to stand up against the bigger offensive linemen. At 260lbs teams will likely be asking Smith to convert to outside linebacker and mainly for the 3-4 defensive scheme. This is going to be a transition for Smith as he hasn’t been asked to drop into coverage while at Missouri. When I look at Smith I quickly compare him to the Bills Aaron Maybin.

That might hurt

Swap Aldon Smith for one of these Dudes:

Ryan Kerrigan

Travis Lewis

Cameron Heyward

Martez Wilson

Allen Bailey

Drake Nevis

Corey Liuget

Bruce Carter

And Roy Helu for one of these guys:

Andre Branch

Casey Matthews

Lee Ziemba

Pat Devlin

And I'm happy

I love love Moffit, I think he makes Gabe Carimi look better.

Moffit, Levitre and Wood is not only a great name for an 80s electronica band it is a world class interior Offensive Line, that would be the best G\C\G combo in the NFL bar none.

Swap Aldon Smith for one of these Dudes:

Ryan Kerrigan

Travis Lewis

Cameron Heyward

Martez Wilson

Allen Bailey

Drake Nevis

Corey Liuget

Bruce Carter

And Roy Helu for one of these guys:

Andre Branch

Casey Matthews

Lee Ziemba

Pat Devlin

And I'm happy

I love love Moffit, I think he makes Gabe Carimi look better.

Moffit, Levitre and Wood is not only a great name for an 80s electronica band it is a world class interior Offensive Line, that would be the best G\C\G combo in the NFL bar none.

I would like wilson in round two

2. Aldon Smith DE Mizzou

4. John Moffit OG Wisc

5. Roy Helu RB Neb

I'm all over DT or DE 1st round

I think we need a really dominant OLB

I would take an OT and TE way higher and b4 an CB and RB.

IMO, the Jets game taught us that Fitz has been successfully covering for many deficiencies of the OL - one of which is depth

I'm all over DT or DE 1st round

I think we need a really dominant OLB

I would take an OT and TE way higher and b4 an CB and RB.

IMO, the Jets game taught us that Fitz has been successfully covering for many deficiencies of the OL - one of which is depth

I agree with you about OLB, however we did just re-sign Merriman but he is a big ?....the guy hasn't really seen any snaps in the last two years. Hell in 3 out of the last 4 years he hasn't played more than 3 games. I think Aldon Smith can play the same role however, its not like Merriman was much more than a pass rusher but he was a dominant one in his first three years. As far as OT's go, I hate this year's class and I feel if you don't address OT in Rd 1 or 2 the guys who will be around in Rds 3-4 aren't going to be much better than the guys who go in 6-7 (just my opinion though). This team is going to need a CB if we lose Florence. I don't like the idea of drafting a CB any more than most Bills fans but depending on the offseason it could def. become a need. Just like OT, I think this years TE class is pretty weak and that's why I didn't pick one really that high, I don't think the value will be there in the middle rounds when you can probably get a comparable player in Rd 6-7. :thumbsup:

Edited by Stl Bills

2. Aldon Smith DE Mizzou

4. John Moffit OG Wisc

5. Roy Helu RB Neb

Flame Away!

This is a good draft, but I really think we need to draft a QB in rounds 3-5 to develop behind Fitz.

It thought aldon smith was a true sophomore?

Nope, he's a redshirt. With Gabbert Going pro he's probably going to leave. Kind of a shame though because Mizzou just signed Sheldon Richardson, a DT who is the number #1 rated Juco Transfer in the nation. When Sheldon originally commited to Mizzou in 2008 (before it was announced he didn't have the grades to go D-I and had to go the Juco route) he was the #1 overall ranked defensive recruit in the country. Getting to play next to Sheldon next year, Aldon could have a monster year.

McCarthy is hot garbage. Probably the worst LBer class to come out of the U in some time. And I am not just saying that because I am a Nole fan. The guy is constantly pushed back and can't shed the block of bigger lineman. And his instincts are sub par. He can tackle and wrap up once he gets a hold of you though.

This is a good draft, but I really think we need to draft a QB in rounds 3-5 to develop behind Fitz.

I love your first two picks, we are inmediatly better with that 2 guys, but for the rest, i could go, like this

1- i love fairley

2- i love a. smith

3- matt reynolds ot

4- nate irving ilb

4- ras-i dowling cb

5- john moffit g

6- pat devlin qb and this is for develop behind fitz, and finally brohm is on way out of here.....

7- terry grifin nt 6'4 and 340 lbs.

in free agency, we can bring a relatively cheap, like always, but we could find some cheap diamonds, like matt spaeth te from pittsburgh, jared gaither this man deserves a chance, and we can give him a rt contract, and a good veteran lb, and im bless with this off season, what you think?

"The biggest concern when you talk about Smith projecting to the NFL is his strength and bulk. He is going to be stuck with the tweener label because he doesn’t have enough bulk to stand up against the bigger offensive linemen. At 260lbs teams will likely be asking Smith to convert to outside linebacker and mainly for the 3-4 defensive scheme. This is going to be a transition for Smith as he hasn’t been asked to drop into coverage while at Missouri. When I look at Smith I quickly compare him to the Bills Aaron Maybin."

Or he could compare to Dwight Freeney...

this just in...lots of "undersized" DE's are great pass rushers in the NFL...

Bruce Smith was technically "undersized" at 265 lbs...

Edited by matter2003

2. Aldon Smith DE Mizzou

4. John Moffit OG Wisc

5. Roy Helu RB Neb

Not bad, dont hate anything about it. Although, Id rather see an OT taken earlier (round 2), and definitely before taking a RB or OG.