Poz would like to stay a Bill

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/02/poz-would-like-to-stay-a-bill/

So if the bills wants to keep poz, how much you think he worth?

Gary Brackett signed a 5 year deal worth $33 Million last offseason with the Colts. Poz has out-tackled him each of the last 3 seasons and is 4 years younger, so that's probably a starting point.

Keep him. Keep Whitner. Keep Florence. Keep Wilson.

Sorry, like them or not, you have to keep even your average players in order to build a franchise. Or else you are constantly RE-building.

Re-sign them and then, if nothing else, they are the low standard to add higher talent to/around.

I commented in another thread, that I believe the team's greatest weakness (even greater than its underwhelming number of blue chip players) is its lack of depth. They should try to keep serviceable players like Poz and Whitner so long as it doesn't break the bank. (In Whitner's case, it looks like he expects them to break the bank for him, which means adios.)

Why would you re-sign Poz? are you opposed to an upgrade? Do you believe the Bills are set with Poz at one ILB position? What other defesnive starters do you think are worth keeping? At the forefront of your mind should be that this defense is ranked 32nd against the run and in half of their games gave up 200 or more yards rushing. That's just unheard of in the NFL.

Personally, there is no scenario I can envision that would motivate me to want Poz back... even as a backup.

Sorry, like them or not, you have to keep even your average players in order to build a franchise. Or else you are constantly RE-building.

Re-sign them and then, if nothing else, they are the low standard to add higher talent to/around.

Although I'm not hot on overpaying Whitner, you are 100% correct, Dr.

Why would you re-sign Poz? are you opposed to an upgrade? Do you believe the Bills are set with Poz at one ILB position? What other defesnive starters do you think are worth keeping? At the forefront of your mind should be that this defense is ranked 32nd against the run and in half of their games gave up 200 or more yards rushing. That's just unheard of in the NFL.

Personally, there is no scenario I can envision that would motivate me to want Poz back... even as a backup.

So name the TWO inside LBs that you are bringing in this offseason that will be:

1. Better than Poz, to the extent that he will single-handedly stop the run, even though there isnt much of a DLine in front of him.

and

2. As good as Poz, to be a backup.

I agree, unless you have an upgrade for them. I want the Bills to spend money in free agency, but I don't want to overpay for our average players. Especially if an upgrade can be had at comprable price

Although I'm not hot on overpaying Whitner, you are 100% correct, Dr.

Yeah, Im definitely not saying to go overboard in order to keep them. But you should be able to retain players with fair (to both sides) offers. Not much you can do about a Nate Clements getting offered $100mil, but these guys arent going to command that type of money in the market.

Retaining "good" players should be one of the franchise's top priorities. Even at the cost of spending a little more than you want to.

Agree. Keep your own (the good to decent ones anyway), draft well and get high value FAs.

He's an average player. Pay him the average for his position. He would provide quality depth.

Yes -- an average salary is fair. It would be great if Poz was a back-up next year because that would mean we found someone better. I'm not sure we will. He is not any better than average at best either as a MLB in a 4-3 or an ILB in a 3-4.

Yes -- an average salary is fair. It would be great if Poz was a back-up next year because that would mean we found someone better. I'm not sure we will. He is not any better than average at best either as a MLB in a 4-3 or an ILB in a 3-4.

Problem is that we need quite a few LBs especially if we go back to committing to the 3-4. So, I don't foresee a scenario where Poz is re-signed but relegated to being a backup.

He's an average player. Pay him the average for his position. He would provide quality depth.

Depth? He's a starter.

Agree. Keep your own (the good to decent ones anyway), draft well and get high value FAs.

Yeah, you know, like we do every year.

i don't really have a problem with Poz. I think he could be pretty solid if the talent at the line improves.

My one negative would be that, in coverage, he seemed to lack a bit. So many things would change with a D line that can pressure a QB, and move some bodies.

Edited by markgbe

:oops: Well, average might be a compliment ... he is always pushed back by anyone who blocks him and can't throw the block. He never ever is able to keep pace in pass coverage with running backs and/or tight ends. Now, he is average when he is not blocked in making tackles although frequently the player he is trying to tackle pushes the Poz back a few more yards before he is pulled down.

So, if we resign him then he needs to be told he is going to be a back-up in 2011 and let him decide whether it is worth developing some strength to make tackles and some nastyness to be a force in the middle.

I am already thinking that with his history of injuries and below average play that there are plenty of other below average linebackes who would show more enthusiasm about making a base player's salary than Poz shows making his.

And, I really truly was a Poz backer before this season ... the last few games I have focused on him and I was so wrong before! :wallbash: Why do the Bills always do so poorly when we draft from Penn State?