Da'Quan Bowers

BillsObserver

He's on ESPN right now in the Meineke Car Care bowl (lol)

Clemson v. USF

I know very little about this kid but I've seen hundreds of comments about how good he is and how we should draft him with a top pick. Instead of youtubing him right now, I'll watch this game and do some evaluating from my comfy couch.

They told a story about his father passing unexpectedly this year and leaving him with a message to focus and become great. Bowers thinks about the message every time he plays and dedicates every game to his father. Looks like a big dude to say the least.

Drafting another kid from Clemson with our top pick does worry me.

Just kidding, I haven't given up on Spiller completely.

They are really pumping this kid up like he is the BEST defensive player in college. What about my boy Fairley?

Thanks for the heads up on Bowers. I see he has a big power pack and excellent initial punch…looks like he'll be quite stout against the run.

I've only seen a few plays but he wears #93 and seems to play the left defensive end position more than anywhere else…regardless of whether the offense is strong left or right. Odd that he's not used as a blind side pass rusher.

Just watched a sequence of 5 straight USF plays culminating in a touchdown where Bowers was not even on the field…are the Clemson coaches overthinking things by platooning at the expense of having their best players on the field?

On the next drive following a Clemson turnover Bowers just defeated the tackle on that side to shed the block and make a tackle for no gain. He's looking good so far. Hopefully the idiot coaches don't want to "keep him fresh" by only letting him play half the snaps.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Lets not quibble over them. Lets get both of 'em!

I await your report on his play and thanks for the insight on Mr. Bowers.

Agreed!

Not sure I'll be able to watch this entirely but the first quarter just ended and this is what I saw:

He was in on 2 tackles in the run game. It appears he's solid in this department which is exactly what the Bills need.

USF has neutralized him in the passing game by using quick throws when he's on the field. I didn't see him on the field on USF's first touchdown which was a situation where the QB had a lot of time to throw.

Thanks for the heads up on Bowers. I see he has a big power pack and excellent initial punch…looks like he'll be quite stout against the run.

I've only seen a few plays but he wears #93 and seems to play the left defensive end position more than anywhere else…regardless of whether the offense is strong left or right. Odd that he's not used as a blind side pass rusher.

Just watched a sequence of 5 straight USF plays culminating in a touchdown where Bowers was not even on the field…are the Clemson coaches overthinking things by platooning at the expense of having their best players on the field?

On the next drive following a Clemson turnover Bowers just defeated the tackle on that side to shed the block and make a tackle for no gain. He's looking good so far. Hopefully the idiot coaches don't want to "keep him fresh" by only letting him play half the snaps.

YES, we are seeing the same things SJBF.

He also doesn't quit on plays as he was just in on a sack of the QB who was scrambling to the opposite side of the field. Not sure he'll get credit for it though as another defender was there first.

he is a 43 DE not a 34 DE or OLB. we just drafted a bunch of guys to play 34 (Troup R2, Carrington R3, Moats R6, Batten R6) so we are not going to throw away all those picks and move back to a 43. yes i know we play some 43 but with some FA this year and a few draft picks we can make the move to 34 for real next year.

he is a 43 DE not a 34 DE or OLB. we just drafted a bunch of guys to play 34 (Troup R2, Carrington R3, Moats R6, Batten R6) so we are not going to throw away all those picks and move back to a 43. yes i know we play some 43 but with some FA this year and a few draft picks we can make the move to 34 for real next year.

Disagree, Kyle Williams is probably our best DL player and probably best suited as 4-3 DT

Carrington will be fine as a LDE in a 4-3 and Troup should also be fine as a 4-3 DT

POZ is more suited to 4-3 middle LB, and Stroud is better suited as a 4-3 DT and Ellison is also better as a 4-3 LB

The move might be a negative for Moats but I think he could be agile enough to play OLB in a 4-3

the move would probably be a negative for Maybin, Merriman, Batten and Dwan Edwards and some of the larger LBs we have picked up.

the questions would be 1. can Edwards play LDE, or DT in a 4-3

2. could Merriman play RDE or OLB in a 4-3

3. could Batten be a backup RDE in a 4-3

4. can Maybin play anything in any defense

Disagree, Kyle Williams is probably our best DL player and probably best suited as 4-3 DT

Carrington will be fine as a LDE in a 4-3 and Troup should also be fine as a 4-3 DT

POZ is more suited to 4-3 middle LB, and Stroud is better suited as a 4-3 DT and Ellison is also better as a 4-3 LB

The move might be a negative for Moats but I think he could be agile enough to play OLB in a 4-3

the move would probably be a negative for Maybin, Merriman, Batten and Dwan Edwards and some of the larger LBs we have picked up.

Who's this Merriman dude you speak of?

why do people worry about taking guys from the same school if one wasnt that good? its pretty silly. not saying we should take bowers as i dont think he fits the 34 anyway.

its sad but thats probably the thinking that got us some maybin and not orakpo

why do people worry about taking guys from the same school if one wasnt that good? its pretty silly. not saying we should take bowers as i dont think he fits the 34 anyway.

its sad but thats probably the thinking that got us some maybin and not orakpo

It was a joke, brah. I could care less what school the kid comes from as long as he can play.

Done nothing special in the second half. What's the big deal? The little I've seen of Fairley, at least he stood out.

If these guys are the best Dlinemen available, I'd pick Newton or mallett.

Maybe Bowers will come up with somthing in the second half...

Are we watching the same thing? He is always putting pressure on the QB, and has made a few nice plays in the run game.

Bowers is looking like a stud in this game (this is the first time I actually seen a full clemson game all season). I would love to have this guy in a bills uniform.

I am one of those people that say you should win no matter what and not lose just to get a higher draft pick.... but man, I am starting to hope the bills lose sunday just to have a chance at some of these players.... fairly, bowers, and of course luck look just look like players that can supercharge this team. I would love it if luck came out (even if we can't get him) just to push bowers and fairly down enough so we can draft one of them. I am really really hoping we score big on our 1st rounder this time.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I wouldn't get too hung up on that for a player with the physical abilities of Bowers.

IMO 4-3 in college is pretty meaningless. Most college players with a few exceptions translate to different positions in the NFL. You will see more certain projections for the nose tackle position, but if the guy is tipping the scales in college at 330+ it is usually a good indicator that he may be put to good use clogging up the middle of a defensive front.

For example take that DE Moats that we drafted: College DE = NFL Linebacker.

All they really look for is size and ability to take on or shed blockers, there is always the downside as to how long it takes college players to adapt to playing a different NFL position, but if the talent is there....

A true 3-4 lineman is asked to do more than a 4-3 tackle - traditionally taking on 2 blockers all the time, but with all the exotic zone blitzing, substitutions, and defensive packages (think of NE when they had all their D-Line and Linebackers standing up on plays), or when we rush 3 and everyone else is in coverage....I don't know if a team should worry so much about putting the right puzzle piece in place to match some idealized defensive alignment, rather teams like the Bills just need to focus on finding impact players that can fight through blocks and make plays on the line. Oh yeah, and don't pick up a FA player like Hanesworth who only wants to play tackle in a 4-3 and does not want to participate in practice.

A good defensive coach will find a way to use a Kyle Williams regardless of his prototypical build.

I think you inadvertently pointed out that it would be extremely counterproductive to go back to the 4-3. We're already a FA and a draft into the 3-4 regime. It would reverse a lot of the gains many of the younger player(s)(Moats) made this season.

Even when the Bill's coaches point out the switch back to the 4-3 later into the season, they say something along the lines of "bringing the OLB up to the line w/ 3 down-lineman." It appears they still label/consider Kelsay an OLB.

How about we simply draft guys that can flat out play football, instead of passing on top talent simply because it might not fit the cookie-cutter shize/shape we want for a certain position?

How about we simply draft guys that can flat out play football, instead of passing on top talent simply because it might not fit the cookie-cutter shize/shape we want for a certain position?

Thank you. Read the posts earlier and just came back to say that same thing.

I dont care what scheme you are running. It can be a 3-4, 4-3, 2-5, 5-2, whatever. If you have two ballers like Willams and Fairley (or Bowers or Dareus) up front, then they will make plays. Get the best talent on the field. Let them play the game.

Everyone said Williams was going to suck this year, and he performed no matter what scheme we were in.

If we think Bowers is the best DLineman available when we pick, then pick him. Same applies for Fairley and Dareus. Just get some big nasty guys up front and let them work.

Amen!

Thank you. Read the posts earlier and just came back to say that same thing.

I dont care what scheme you are running. It can be a 3-4, 4-3, 2-5, 5-2, whatever. If you have two ballers like Willams and Fairley (or Bowers or Dareus) up front, then they will make plays. Get the best talent on the field. Let them play the game.

Everyone said Williams was going to suck this year, and he performed no matter what scheme we were in.

If we think Bowers is the best DLineman available when we pick, then pick him. Same applies for Fairley and Dareus. Just get some big nasty guys up front and let them work.

Amen again!

I was watching a little at lunch time, was that him getting into a 4 point stance at left end? I only saw about 30 minutes and couldn't hear the announcers, but he looked slow off the ball and USF scored a couple times while I was watching. He didn't seem like a difference maker to me, but that game is the only time I've seen him. Maybe I'll look for more on youtube, but count me among the unimpressed for now.

I was watching a little at lunch time, was that him getting into a 4 point stance at left end? I only saw about 30 minutes and couldn't hear the announcers, but he looked slow off the ball and USF scored a couple times while I was watching. He didn't seem like a difference maker to me, but that game is the only time I've seen him. Maybe I'll look for more on youtube, but count me among the unimpressed for now.

I fully agree. He didn't seem particularly fast at all. I too have not seen enough of him, but after this game, color me unimpressed.