10 Players you'd be happy with the Bills drafting

DrDawkinstein

It's guaranteed the Bills will have a top 10 spot in the coming draft. I've seen mocks and posts that mention a number of different players at different positions for our first pick.

I'm compiling a list of players that I would be happy with the Bills drafting. Understanding that some wont fall to us, but at least a few have to. I know that between now, the combine, and the draft, there will be players that fall out of the first round and others that move up. So this list is far from perfect, nor is it permanent.

I've 8 choices down so far. Any input on the last 2 spots, or better yet your own Top 10 list, would be appreciated.

In no particular order:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

11. Bonus spot if the team was already stacked: AJ Green. I think he will be the next Moss, and be able to make game-changing plays on a regular basis. Luxury pick given our needs up front, but we'd be wise not to put anything past this organization.

Edit: Free Agency and any Trade Downs are not part of this discussion.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Can't really disagree any so I'll just try two fill out your top 10. Robert Quinn and dreaded DB pick of Patrick Peterson. :devil:

Ha! Personally, I see the need for CB on this team, but know better than to include one in my First Round post! :thumbsup:

I believe we'll grab a CB as early as round 3 this year. It's a much bigger need than WR even.

I'll agree with Quinn and add him to the list for now...

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

9. Robert Quinn

Nice pug I have two myself great dogs

I am onboard with

the best D end avaiable

personally like Failey the best, but if Buddy likes Darues or Bowersbest so be it

also I would keep on eye on Quinn if his measurables are to be believed and he has a great combine he will shoot up into the top 5 .

Good news is seems to be a solid draft for front seven players ,

Can't we compile our own ten then cross ref for consensus? Luck and Mallet come nowhere near my list.

Per the original post:

I've 8 choices down so far. Any input on the last 2 spots, or better yet your own Top 10 list, would be appreciated.

So yes, I'd actually welcome it, please.

It's guaranteed the Bills will have a top 10 spot in the coming draft. I've seen mocks and posts that mention a number of different players at different positions for our first pick.

I'm compiling a list of players that I would be happy with the Bills drafting. Understanding that some wont fall to us, but at least a few have to. I know that between now, the combine, and the draft, there will be players that fall out of the first round and others that move up. So this list is far from perfect, nor is it permanent.

In no particular order:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

11. Bonus spot if the team was already stacked: AJ Green. I think he will be the next Moss, and be able to make game-changing plays on a regular basis. Luxury pick given our needs up front, but we'd be wise not to put anything past this organization.

Edit: Free Agency and any Trade Downs are not part of this discussion.

can not see Carimi being a top ten pick

even though not a postion of need green and peterson are big time play makers

If the Bills are going to continue to attempt a 3-4 or a hybrid, Ryan Kerigan probably belongs on the list. He looks like a game changing OLB.

Interesting, I'll read up on him a little more today...

Nice pug I have two myself great dogs

Ha, thanks! Yeah, Ive had primarily big dogs my entire life (a Golden, a Pit/Rot mix, couple Shephard mixes) and was not thrilled when the GF bought the pug while I was out of town. But she has become one of my favorite dogs of all time!

Ha! Personally, I see the need for CB on this team, but know better than to include one in my First Round post! :thumbsup:

I believe we'll grab a CB as early as round 3 this year. It's a much bigger need than WR even.

I'll agree with Quinn and add him to the list for now...

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

9. Robert Quinn

10.DeMarcus Love

can not see Carimi being a top ten pick

even though not a postion of need green and peterson are big time play makers

He's the best Lineman on the best line in college football. Not sure about his measurables, but it will be interesting to see how he ranks after Wisc takes on TCU in their Bowl game, and also after the combine.

After watching Wisconsin a few times this year, I cant help but want him on the Bills.

What other Tackles do you like instead? Any others that you think are better?

-----------------------------------

Bill:

I can agree with Love. As much, or even more so than Castonzo.

So that means the list currently looks like this:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

9. Robert Quinn

10.DeMarcus Love

Instead of replacing players, I'd like to keep adding them. See if we cant get 15 players that we, the fans, would be happy with the Bills drafting...

Keep the suggestions coming!

Edited by DrDankenstein

check out LT Ben Ijalana, Villanova.

def not top 10 pick, but might be one to watch in later rnds, esp w/ the Bills attraction to small school players. they may be hoping to grab OT in later rnds, rather than Carimi/Castonzo in 1st.

Edited by dgrid

1. Nick Fairley

2. Andrew Luck

3. Derek Sherrod

4. Nate Solder

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Patrick Peterson

7. A.J. Green

8. Marcel Dareus

9. Von Miller

10. Gabe Carimi

I would be happy if we took any of the 10 I have listed because I believe they will all be immediate impact players for our team. I'm not sold on Quinn. Strongly considered, but left off are Mallett, Kerrigan, Costanzo, and Amukamara.

Edited by H2o

1. Nick Fairley

2. Andrew Luck

3. Derek Sherrod

4. Nate Solder

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Patrick Peterson

7. A.J. Green

8. Marcel Dareus

9. Von Miller

10. Gabe Carimi

I would be happy if we took any of the 10 I have listed because I believe they will all be immediate impact players for our team. I'm not sold on Quinn. Strongly considered, but left off are Mallett, Kerrigan, Costanzo, and Amukamara.

nice list! I also debated about Sherrod, Solder and Miller for my list as well.

First Round:

1. Andrew Luck Unfortunately, not happening.

2a. Nick Fairley Leave it to the scouts

2b. Marcel Dareus to determine which guy

2c. DaQuan Bowers will be a playmaker on D.

2d. Robert Quinn

3a. A.J. Green BPA theory- trade down?

3b. Patrick Peterson

4. Ryan Mallett Potenial franchise QB?

Second Round:

1a. The biggest, nastiest ROT on the board pref. from Mich, Wisc, Iowa etc.

2a. Cam Newton

In no particular order, with no regard for whether or not they'll declare:

2. Stephen Paea
  3. Adrian Clayborn
  4. Von Miller
  5. Cam Newton
  6. Derek Sherrod
  7. Nate Solder
  8. Gabe Carimi
  9. Bruce Carter
  10. Da'Quan Bowers
  11. Marcell Dareus

Dont even want to consider Luck if he is there, huh? Please explain, that's very interesting.

Dont even want to consider Luck if he is there, huh? Please explain, that's very interesting.

I've watched him play a handful of games, all against good opponents, and I simply haven't seen any performance that justifies what the noise machine has had the greater public believe to be true about his capabilities. So since I haven't seen it with my own eyes, I'm skeptical of the noise machine.

And since I know for certain that at least 60% of fans with an opinion about the draft rely on the noise machine, and not their own eyes, I've separated myself from the hype, because IMO, Andrew Luck is just that, hype.

His numbers and the performances I've seen from him just don't live up to that hype. And for a top 5 pick, he better as hell live up to, even exceed the hype.

Not for Buffalo, no thank you.

In this exact Order:

1 – Luck

2- Bowers

3- Fairley

4- Hopefully Luck, Bowers, or Fairley are still there.

5- I guess I’ll put Quinn this high

6- I guess I’ll put Dareus this high

7- Hopefully there is a great front 7 defender I haven’t seen this year that can take this spot.

8- NOT Mallet or Locker

9- I guess my hand is forced to say Newton, but I will defer this to Buddy Chan.as weird as this may sound, I actually have faith in Buddy Chan to select a good QB because….. they wanted/liked Tebow - which gives me confidence because Tebow is the man.

We are actually guaranteed a top 9 pick so I’ll stop there. There is not T good enough to take in the top 20 let alone 5 or 6 were we could end up so I don’t want one that high. CBs and WRs would be like pissing in the wind, aka we would only be pissing on ourselves. PS I think that WR Blackmon is better than Green FWIW.

I've watched him play a handful of games, all against good opponents, and I simply haven't seen any performance that justifies what the noise machine has had the greater public believe to be true about his capabilities. So since I haven't seen it with my own eyes, I'm skeptical of the noise machine.

And since I know for certain that at least 60% of fans with an opinion about the draft rely on the noise machine, and not their own eyes, I've separated myself from the hype, because IMO, Andrew Luck is just that, hype.

His numbers and the performances I've seen from him just don't live up to that hype. And for a top 5 pick, he better as hell live up to, even exceed the hype.

Not for Buffalo, no thank you.

Fair enough, thanks!

Seeing the way certain QB's fell this year (Claussen, Pike, McCoy) I think we'll have a chance getting one of (Newton, Mallet, Locker) in the second. I know people are saying he should go late first round but I think Von Miller is special and will become something special in this league. Personally I think he will move up the order the nearer we get to draft time.

No counter argument?

Ehh, while I disagree about Luck, at this point it's all just opinions and guessing. And most importantly, you seem to be well researched in your opinion. If you had written something like "I havent seen him play at all, but he looked stupid in an interview", then I'd probably make a case for the kid.

If you've watched him and you havent seen anything that impresses you, all I question is what do you need to see to be impressed? He doesnt carry the entire offense on his back like Newton, but as a prospective NFL QB he seems to have all of the right attributes and abilities.

Those were my same thoughts about Matt Ryan when everyone was talking him up. :doh: I guess sometimes the talking heads do get it right.

Matty played in 40 college games, and Luck will have 25 to his name.

Matty had a 4500 yd season, Luck just barely topped 3000.

Matty had his team ranked #2, Stanford never got higher than #5

Andrew Luck is NOT Matty Ryan.

Ehh, while I disagree about Luck, at this point it's all just opinions and guessing. And most importantly, you seem to be well researched in your opinion. If you had written something like "I havent seen him play at all, but he looked stupid in an interview", then I'd probably make a case for the kid.

If you've watched him and you havent seen anything that impresses you, all I question is what do you need to see to be impressed? He doesnt carry the entire offense on his back like Newton, but as a prospective NFL QB he seems to have all of the right attributes and abilities.

I've said this before: what intrigues me most about Newton, as it pertains to the Bills, is Gailey's preference for mobile passers.

Yesterday's performance showed the need for upgraded LB play. Pass rushing, getting off blocks and coverage were all horrible yesterday. I knew Pos was slow but watching the 36 year old 300 TE Crumpler easily outrun him was alarming.

DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Robert Quinn OLB UNC

Cameron Jordan DE Cal

Quan Sturdivant, ILB, North Carolina

Greg Jones, ILB, Michigan State

Bruce Carter OLB, North Carolina

Kenny Tate S Maryland

Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon

Pierre Allen DE Nebraska

Scott Lutrus OLB UCONN

So that means the list currently looks like this:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

9. Robert Quinn

10.DeMarcus Love

check out LT Ben Ijalana, Villanova.

def not top 10 pick, but might be one to watch in later rnds, esp w/ the Bills attraction to small school players. they may be hoping to grab OT in later rnds, rather than Carimi/Castonzo in 1st.

See, there, though. Exhibit A, that's the Bills thing, trying always to pull a "sleeper" out of the late rounds.

As Bradshaw said of Kelly during the Redskins SB loss, "it's hard to throw completions if you're sitting on your ass".

(or starring in a remake of "run for your life").

They tried to grab a late-rounder in Wang. Seems he isn't developing as they would like.

It's a huge need, it would make everyone on the offense better, why not take the best OT they can get?

Matty played in 40 college games, and Luck will have 25 to his name.

1. Matty had a 4500 yd season, Luck just barely topped 3000.

Matty had his team ranked #2, 2. Stanford never got higher than #5

Andrew Luck is NOT Matty Ryan.

I've said this before: what intrigues me most about Newton, as it pertains to the Bills, is Gailey's preference for mobile passers.

1. Graham Harrell had two 5,000+ yard seasons. In the case of both he and Matt Ryan, neither had a rushing game behind them. Also, Ryan's average per attempt was under 7ypa while Luck average just a shade under 9ypa for the last two seasons. Ryan had 19 INT's in his 4,500 yard season while Luck has only thrown 8 INT's this year. Luck, on the other hand, has had a Heisman finalist in the backfield in Toby Gerhart and this year for the season his team has rushed for more than 2,000 yards without including the 440 yards he's ran for by himself. Not really a fair comparison.

2. http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings Stanford is currently ranked 4th with their only loss being to Oregon (playin in the BCS Championship game) and they are slated behind 2 other unbeatens besides that team. What's your point? The highest Matty Ice's team ever FINISHED in the rankings was #11 and Luck will almost certainly best that this season.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong in your opinion because everyone has their own, but your arguement in this case is.

1. Graham Harrell had two 5,000+ yard seasons. In the case of both he and Matt Ryan, neither had a rushing game behind them. Also, Ryan's average per attempt was under 7ypa while Luck average just a shade under 9ypa for the last two seasons. Ryan had 19 INT's in his 4,500 yard season while Luck has only thrown 8 INT's this year. Luck, on the other hand, has had a Heisman finalist in the backfield in Toby Gerhart and this year for the season his team has rushed for more than 2,000 yards without including the 440 yards he's ran for by himself. Not really a fair comparison.

2. http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings Stanford is currently ranked 4th with their only loss being to Oregon (playin in the BCS Championship game) and they are slated behind 2 other unbeatens besides that team. What's your point? The highest Matty Ice's team ever FINISHED in the rankings was #11 and Luck will almost certainly best that this season.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong in your opinion because everyone has their own, but your arguement in this case is.

Okay, well, I'd say the accomplishments of a quarterback with no running game outshine the accomplishments of a quarterback playing in a system that requires teams to account for his Heisman candidate team mate. And by your own logic, said running game is equally responsible for Stanford's finish and ranking, whereas Matty Ryan may have been solely responsible for theirs.

Also, please don't bring Harrel's name into this conversation. I don't think ANYONE...other than his coach...EVER took him seriously as an NFL prospect.

Okay, well, I'd say the accomplishments of a quarterback with no running game outshine the accomplishments of a quarterback playing in a system that requires teams to account for his Heisman candidate team mate. And by your own logic, said running game is equally responsible for Stanford's finish and ranking, whereas Matty Ryan may have been solely responsible for theirs.

Also, please don't bring Harrel's name into this conversation. I don't think ANYONE...other than his coach...EVER took him seriously as an NFL prospect.

Actually The Senator did/does.

You seem to be arguing against yourself here, in your attempt to disparage Luck at any cost. Clearly a team w/o a rushing game will use the pass more often. If you insist that Ryan had to carry more of the load for BC than Luck does for Stanford, at least admit that has something to do with Ryan passing for more yards. You can't have it both ways here.

Actually The Senator did/does.

You seem to be arguing against yourself here, in your attempt to disparage Luck at any cost. Clearly a team w/o a rushing game will use the pass more often. If you insist that Ryan had to carry more of the load for BC than Luck does for Stanford, at least admit that has something to do with Ryan passing for more yards. You can't have it both ways here.

I wholeheartedly agree that having to carry the load for BC had more to do with his passing yards. Which is why he did carry the load, get those passing yards, and help his team achieve a #2 ranking--a "carrying" (for lack of better phrase at the moment) Luck has neither been asked to do nor demonstrated he can do.

Ryan had to, he did, and he's made for a damn fine NFL quarterback. I just don't see these super star qualities/responsibilities in Luck that would justify all the hype. I don't.

EDIT: I was well aware of how vehemently The Senator championed Harrell. And while he's one of the posters I enjoy most on this site, I take his often satirical sounding "opinion" with a grain of salt.

Edited by The Big Cat

:lol: And The Senator <--(no offense my friend). I agree in part with what you are saying about the ranking aspect, Ryan did carry the 2007 BC squad. I remember the furious comeback he led against the #8 Virginia Tech Hokies, leading his team to two TD's within 2 minutes. The last was a throw across his body to the opposite corner of the endzone for the winning score with :11 seconds to go. But about the numbers, what I am saying is that Stanford doesn't need Luck to do that because he has a decent supporting cast. If he did throw as much as Ryan did that year (like 650 attempts) he would put up those numbers as well.