Spray on Stem Cells

"New Shimmer SprayOn Stem CellsTM cures AIDS."

"No, new Shimmer SprayOn Stem CellsTM heals severe burns."

"Cures AIDS!"

"Heals severe burns!"

"Relax you two, new Shimmer SprayOn Stem CellsTM cures AIDS AND heals severe burns!"

"Taste delicious!"

"And just look at that shine!"

"Cures AIDS!"

"Heals severe burns!"

"Relax you two, new Shimmer SprayOn Stem CellsTM cures AIDS AND heals severe burns!"

"Taste delicious!"

SNL rip off alert!!!! biggrin.gif

"Cures AIDS!"

"Heals severe burns!"

"Taste delicious!"

:lol:

"Cures AIDS!"

"Heals severe burns!"

"Taste delicious!"

You forgot to add ShakeWeight. Just stroke the new ShakeWeightAID and you can cover yourself in stem cells.

• 1 month later...

Still, when you think on it, a very impressive future for the technique. If we can get to the point where we can regenerate tissue and organs in the next forty years that will extend the lifetime of a ton of people. That should be a good thing... :unsure:

The NOVA Science NOW series had an episode (titled "Can We Live Forever?") a couple of weeks ago where they showed organs being generated from stem cells on bio-scaffolding. They showed mouse lungs "breathing" in a jar and said they successfully transplanted into a mouse. Hearts, skin, showed one woman whose esophagus was repaired, and said some injured Iraq/Afghanistan vets will be getting stem-cell-generated ear transplants later this year.

The scientists involved said the timeline to where we'd routinely be growing people new organs from their own stem cells is about what DC Tom said --- probably four decades.

The NOVA Science NOW series had an episode (titled "Can We Live Forever?") a couple of weeks ago where they showed organs being generated from stem cells on bio-scaffolding. They showed mouse lungs "breathing" in a jar and said they successfully transplanted into a mouse. Hearts, skin, showed one woman whose esophagus was repaired, and said some injured Iraq/Afghanistan vets will be getting stem-cell-generated ear transplants later this year.

The scientists involved said the timeline to where we'd routinely be growing people new organs from their own stem cells is about what DC Tom said --- probably four decades.

Great, they'll be replacing my organs in my 90 year old body.

If by "routinely" you mean "cheaply," possibly, but I can see it being much sooner (about a decade, maybe two) than that. They'll probably be available at a significant cost much sooner than that even.

If by "routinely" you mean "cheaply," possibly, but I can see it being much sooner (about a decade, maybe two) than that. They'll probably be available at a significant cost much sooner than that even.

Point of note: when I said 40 years, it was in the context of whole limbs, not individual organs.

Although really, it depends on the organ. In principle growing any organ is easy (if they can grow skin, they can pretty much grow anything). In practice, it depends on the complexity of the organ, which dictates the complexity of the "instruction set" needed to grow the organ (e.g. I'd expect a single muscle to be much easier than a whole heart, or a bladder easier than a kidney or liver.)

Still, the fact that it can be done at all is pretty damned amazing.

Point of note: when I said 40 years, it was in the context of whole limbs, not individual organs.

Although really, it depends on the organ. In principle growing any organ is easy (if they can grow skin, they can pretty much grow anything). In practice, it depends on the complexity of the organ, which dictates the complexity of the "instruction set" needed to grow the organ (e.g. I'd expect a single muscle to be much easier than a whole heart, or a bladder easier than a kidney or liver.)

Still, the fact that it can be done at all is pretty damned amazing.

Sure is. And true, more complex organs will probably take a lot longer (the brain? forget it! I'd say even most tissues derived from the nervous system will be a long ways off).

Actually, they also featured a team that printed a mouse heart on a standard printer (I believe it was an HP) that had been jury-rigged for the purpose, and which used stem cells in the printer cartridge. And then, they got that heart to beat.

I don't know. The tech is advancing rapidly. It may be ~10-15 years before it gets to testing human hearts and trials for those who are far down on transplant lists, and have nothing to lose. So, 40 years until it could get more perfected and the cost down... it's an estimation.

Edited by UConn James

Ricky says that god created stem cells. Prove he didn't!

You really don't understand the concept of not being able to prove a negative, do you, there Gene, "I think I know logic, but I really don't" Frenkle?

You forgot to add ShakeWeight. Just stroke the new ShakeWeightAID and you can cover yourself in stem cells.

:lol: The first time I saw that I thought: There had to have been a meeting where that thing was demonstrated. And, out of everybody at that meeting, nobody foresaw the potential for hilarity? Who was at that meeting?

Blind people? (but even they can imagine things...)

Feminazis(how often do they encounter...that perspective? This one could go the other way too, since apparently every bad thing in life comes from the male organ, according to them. Kinda interesting that something so bad is also so powerful. It might even make a person...envious. :lol: Perhaps Freud was right after all. [/OCinPhilly's Feminazi Destroyer - worked great in that town, cause it's full of them])

Sex-challenged Protestant women? (Know what I mean? Of all the religions, they are most likely to have the worst abilities. They could easily miss this one.)

Gay men would get it instantly, so would most straight men, even if they tried to hide it.