Disappointed at the NFL (Monday night game)

Nasty

I have been a fan of the NFL since I can remember and I remember a time when Monday Night football was the game of the week and every team in the NFL got a chance to play in that game at least once a year and for many teams it was like there Super Bowl. Why is it not that way anymore? You would think with 2 prime time games a week (NFL America on NBC and of course Monday Night Football you can even throw on the NFL Network game of the week after Thanksgiving which make it 3) that every NFL team would have a chance to shine at least once a year. It gives the not so good teams and fans a chance to gloat at least once a year and show off there respective cities to prospective NFL free agents. I mean the last two years 07', 08' and 09' the Bills weren't very good but always played there hearts out and gave a good show on Monday night. The only time they really got blown out was in 07' against the Pats on Sunday night when they had the flex schedule. Thoughts.....

I have been a fan of the NFL since I can remember and I remember a time when Monday Night football was the game of the week and every team in the NFL got a chance to play in that game at least once a year and for many teams it was like there Super Bowl. Why is it not that way anymore? You would think with 2 prime time games a week (NFL America on NBC and of course Monday Night Football you can even throw on the NFL Network game of the week after Thanksgiving which make it 3) that every NFL team would have a chance to shine at least once a year. It gives the not so good teams and fans a chance to gloat at least once a year and show off there respective cities to prospective NFL free agents. I mean the last two years 07', 08' and 09' the Bills weren't very good but always played there hearts out and gave a good show on Monday night. The only time they really got blown out was in 07' against the Pats on Sunday night when they had the flex schedule. Thoughts.....

the Thursday nite game against the Jets last year was pretty ugly...The second half of the season play this year should land us a Monday nite game next year, or at least a 4 PM Sunday game.

That has never been the case, particularly when there was only Monday Night Football. Never. The Bills went many long stretches without prime time games, as did teams like the Cardinals, Rams, Browns, Chiefs...etc etc. When the NFL added the prime-time Sunday night games, on TNT and ESPN, they often got the bottom feeder teams....but, with the last tv contract, where ESPN picked up MNF, they paid a load of money....you can bet ESPN asked to be thrown some bones...

The Bills have essentially been irrelevant since around 2004, and I'm saying that as a die-hard Bills fan. If the Bills draft some interesting players and look like a much-improved team, maybe they will get a 4:15 or Thursday night game. To draw a parallel, how much interest do you have in watching the Seattle Seahawks play?

Well I for one live over on the West coast and very much enjoy my 10am bills games every week, by 1pm the game is over and I still have half a day left, although i would not mind a Monday Night game, but I am moving back to the eastern coast so it wont matter much next season to me to keep them early. As my dad tells me, he wishes he had football at 10am every sunday, the whole day can be football, not having to wait till 1pm like when I was growing up.

Well I for one live over on the West coast and very much enjoy my 10am bills games every week, by 1pm the game is over and I still have half a day left, although i would not mind a Monday Night game, but I am moving back to the eastern coast so it wont matter much next season to me to keep them early. As my dad tells me, he wishes he had football at 10am every sunday, the whole day can be football, not having to wait till 1pm like when I was growing up.

I feel the same way. I love watching the games at 10am. It seems like the Bills have lost like every recent prime time game so I am good with the early Sunday starts.

Edited by markinsd

If I can give a view from Britain we have the prime time games but also we have one selected game for the early Sunday slot (which is 6pm here). In short the Bills havent been on our television for the last two seasons (the game last year against the Pats wasn't on as a TV deal hadn't been signed by that point). However the powers to be have allowed us to watch 9 49er games which has been........... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I will go with the nfl game pass but over here thats a lot more expensive than back there, $23 a week or around $400 for a year but at least I get to see the whole bills games instead of the highlights.

And a view from Denmark. Havn't seen the Bills here since their last Monday Night game.

We do however see alot of the Cowboys, Colts, Pats, Giants, Jets. According to the commentators on national tv, the NFL picks the game for international broadcasting for the 1 PM game. Been a long time since the bills was picked though.

Really dont understand why the NFL cant show us all 32 teams in the first 8 weeks. And then switch to the leading teams down the stretch to the playoffs.

And i finally made my first post on the board. Been coming here for at least 6 seasons :)

Sunday night or Monday night would be nice, but not Thursday. Last year I had to chase that thursday night Jets game around on the internet like some criminal. I wish Time Warner and the NFL would figure that arrangement out.

All of our games were 1pm this year. Last year we did not have a 1 pm game until week 4.

I think we play in SD next year so we should at least get a 4:15 ko then. There was also the speculation about the Cowgirls game being on Thanksgiving...

And a view from Denmark. Havn't seen the Bills here since their last Monday Night game.

We do however see alot of the Cowboys, Colts, Pats, Giants, Jets. According to the commentators on national tv, the NFL picks the game for international broadcasting for the 1 PM game. Been a long time since the bills was picked though.

Really dont understand why the NFL cant show us all 32 teams in the first 8 weeks. And then switch to the leading teams down the stretch to the playoffs.

And i finally made my first post on the board. Been coming here for at least 6 seasons :)

Welcome

The Bills have essentially been irrelevant since around 2004, and I'm saying that as a die-hard Bills fan. If the Bills draft some interesting players and look like a much-improved team, maybe they will get a 4:15 or Thursday night game. To draw a parallel, how much interest do you have in watching the Seattle Seahawks play?

Well with that said what did the Panthers do last year to draw them a game on Thursday night this year, now they are what 2-12 boring.... I would much rather go back to the flex schedule this time of year for these games.

It's all about the money. That is all the NFL big wigs and owners care about. The actions thay take shows each and every week that it's not the fans that are important, but the almighty greenback. can you imagine the ratings on the Detroit - Bills game if it was primetime. I'd be watching WWE Raw or The Closer. It's sad, but true.

Well, I am a long time season ticket holder, and I prefer 1pm Sunday games. Leave me out of all the special broadcasts, especially those from "the Ralph" ! The late starts disadvantage season ticket holders from out of the immediate area (that is not me) and it gets really cold at night, especially in November and December. So, I say, skip the national exposure...and gain your respect by WINNING. Unfortuantely, the winning does bring the TV exposure. Oh well

It's all about the money. That is all the NFL big wigs and owners care about. The actions thay take shows each and every week that it's not the fans that are important, but the almighty greenback. can you imagine the ratings on the Detroit - Bills game if it was primetime. I'd be watching WWE Raw or The Closer. It's sad, but true.

So let me get this straight: You're complaining that the NFL bigwigs and owners are greedy, and money is all they care about, not the fans -- but you yourself won't even watch your favorite team on prime time if they don't play a good team?

Got it. :wallbash:

the Thursday nite game against the Jets last year was pretty ugly...The second half of the season play this year should land us a Monday nite game next year, or at least a 4 PM Sunday game.

The thursday nite game against the jets last year was pretty ugly? Really? I think you should get ur facts straight. We lost 19-13. I dont think losing by six is ugly. Ugly would be the sunday nite home loss to the patriots..what was it 56-10?

the team appeared to be very uninspiring going into this season. I dont fault them at all for not putting the Bills on primetime.

I do wish to see less of Philly though. Even their fans are sick of the night games.

I would bet the Bills get a home Sunday night game next season, maybe away. Probably not a monday nighter at this point unless they make some waves (like trade up for Luck or something).

There is also the talk of the Bills having a 50/50 shot at playing the Cowboys on Thanksgiving.

The Monday Night games are scheduled based on what will get the highest ratings on a national level, not on a Buffalo or Western New York level. Outside of the Bills fans, nobody gives a crap about the Bills, and when they have been on they have blown games they should have won. Until the Bills are a good team, they won't be prime time too often, and who knows how long before that will be. They have been such a pathetic team that they can't even sell out half of the home games this year, so if there isn't enough interest locally, there sure isn't nationally. They don't want a monday night game that is blacked out in the teams local area either.

Edited by billsfreak