Donte Whitner - You got to love him!

dailar

Millions of people post on twitter everyday. And plenty of those tweets are bitching about work.

Whitner, along with all other football players, are human. They're just normal people with a job and career like the rest of us. The only difference is that they are in the spotlight, and are in a position where bored/jealous people get to pas judgment on their every move.

Everyone who gets in a huff about an athlete or celebrity's twitter, needs to just take a breath and relax.

You're seeing a one second snap shot of their thought at that very moment. It means very little.

Like I said ... I don't link Whitner's lack of production with his Tweeting habits. I just think that people - whether they're professional athletes or they're personal friends of mine - who put their lives/thoughts online for all to see, have maturity issues. Who gives a crap what you're having for dinner? Or that you're mad at your wife? Or that you just went from the living room to the bedroom?

I'm not singling Whitner out at all. I realize it's a sign of the times, but I just find it to be pathetic on many levels.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did everyone completely forget how many games this guy hast cost the bills because he can't cover a single tight end? The defense has picked up against mostly mediocre teams. Once he is gone this team will immediately get better.

I would guess after reading this comment that you have not really watched the Bills games The LB (Poz,Kelsey) covers the TE the SS will be there for help only there are only a few times that a Safety will cover a TE and that would be on a Blitz. Whitner has shown over the years he can do a good job in coverage he was part of the nickle for years and covered pretty good at them times.

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

In Pro sports people shouldnt compare salaries. Teams pay based on what u mean to them....Goodnite yall

:thumbdown::censored::wallbash:

Huh? That's sort of like being a PRO in accounting or sales.

Like I said ... I don't link Whitner's lack of production with his Tweeting habits. I just think that people - whether they're professional athletes or they're personal friends of mine - who put their lives/thoughts online for all to see, have maturity issues. Who gives a crap what you're having for dinner? Or that you're mad at your wife? Or that you just went from the living room to the bedroom?

I'm not singling Whitner out at all. I realize it's a sign of the times, but I just find it to be pathetic on many levels.

Wait a minute, you're fighting with your wife!?!

Huh? That's sort of like being a PRO in accounting or sales.

Wait a minute, you're fighting with your wife!?!

Yes ... and I forgot to take the ground beef out of the freezer this morning before leaving for work!

Its called social networking. It's goal is to increase one's visibility to prospective fans and casual on-lookers. This is extremely important to professionals with a short career span.

And regarding what one is having for dinner, I find it hypocritical to bash on this because I guarantee 10 out of 10 people would applaud Arthur Moats if he tweeted "Just got back from Duff's, those wings are awesome!!" But because it's Donte, people will bash him for anything.

I think you using the word maturity is a bit off as well. It might be stupid in your opinion, but questioning one's maturity because they post personal things on Twitter is off base. Just remember, you get to choose who you want to follow.

You, sir, are imposing your own personal belief system upon MILLIONS of others, and making presumptions about their character as a result.

Someone needs to come down off his proverbial high horse. What's more "pathetic" -- participating in a social network, or presuming you're too good/smart/important to do likewise?

If Donte told this stuff to a reporter, he'd be eviscerated. Twitter is the same thing as leaking it to a reporter. The 'twitter' thing works in reverse that way too. Athletes get a pass because it's 'only' twitter.

I think you're glossing over the key aspect. Donte is 'negotiating' in public and given his history of clamoring for attention and getting depressed because fans said mean things about him on twitter, he does not present a good image. If you don't believe his 'image' matters, well, then it's just a jump to the left and a step to the right.

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

In Pro sports people shouldnt compare salaries. Teams pay based on what u mean to them....Goodnite yall

I think it happened like this...

Donte: "I want Troy and Antrelle's money...."

Nix: "Yeah they make alot and play your position..."

Donte: "Thats why I want that kind of money..."

Nix: "Well we want their stats...."

Donte: "Well I have produced like them..."

Nix: "Actually NO YOU HAVEN"T... See look right here... your numbers... Their numbers...."

Donte: "Come on man... Its not fair to compare Stats... I am a leader..."

Nix: "Lifes not fair..."

Now that is just how I think it went down.. anybody care to add or change to what they think go ahead...

Its called social networking. It's goal is to increase one's visibility to prospective fans and casual on-lookers. This is extremely important to professionals with a short career span.

And regarding what one is having for dinner, I find it hypocritical to bash on this because I guarantee 10 out of 10 people would applaud Arthur Moats if he tweeted "Just got back from Duff's, those wings are awesome!!" But because it's Donte, people will bash him for anything.

I think you using the word maturity is a bit off as well. It might be stupid in your opinion, but questioning one's maturity because they post personal things on Twitter is off base. Just remember, you get to choose who you want to follow.

If Donte gave his personal time and tweetability to boost the local economy and kick some juice to local places, he'd get the positive response you're talking about. This thread is about his use of Twitter for self-serving purposes. More power to him when he uses tech to boost his brand, but there's always blow-back.

I'm sure we can dig up "good" Donte tweets, but that's not the point at the moment. No one has accused DW of hurting dogs, just badly playing his hand in public.

Edited by Sabre Bill

You, sir, are imposing your own personal belief system upon MILLIONS of others, and making presumptions about their character as a result.

Someone needs to come down off his proverbial high horse. What's more "pathetic" -- participating in a social network, or presuming you're too good/smart/important to do likewise?

Yikes ... my apologies for imposing my personal belief system upon millions of others. I have nothing against what Twitter and Facebook can accomplish. I use Facebook. I just don't live on it and I don't air out my personal issues or my minute-by-minute movements on it.

I'm sorry, but I do find that behavior coming from people in their 40s or 50s to be ridiculously immature.

I don't believe that I'm better, smarter or more important than anybody. But to put that crap out there for the world to see, and to think that more than .001 % of the world's population gives a hoot ... well that's just plain stupid.

There's a difference between social networking and wasting time with meaningless drivel.

And now he just tweeted that he misses Cleveland. I think Donte's out, he doesn't seem like a fit in the locker room at this point. The locker room seems to be coming together and Whitner is worried about himself right now. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing the "twitter factor" but I don't think I'll miss him if he leaves at this point. I say take whatever you were offering Donte, subtract a few years and maybe a few dollars and give it to Florence.

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

Dear Donte,

In pro sports the best way to resolve contract disputes is to complain about a couple of million dollars in a passive aggressive manner through your Twitter account so that people who make far less than you can continue to NOT GIVE A ****. Oh I'm sorry you seem to have that covered, carry on.

[quote name='Ramius' timestamp='1293032303' post='2065589'

While your point regarding the contract year is a valid one, he's also playing in a completely new defense this season, one that suits his strengths, which would have a much bigger effect on his play than being in a contract year will.

Yeah, a defense that allows him to make tackles 10 yards downfield because the front 7 can't stop the run. This isn't a London Fletcher complaint, Donte didn't make plays at the LOS when he was put there often by the previous regime, so he claims that the new defense that allows him to play deeper suits him. Maybe in run defense, but he still doesn't make plays in coverage. There is no defense that will make Whitner into the player he thinks he is.

Millions of people post on twitter everyday. And plenty of those tweets are bitching about work.

Whitner, along with all other football players, are human. They're just normal people with a job and career like the rest of us. The only difference is that they are in the spotlight, and are in a position where bored/jealous people get to pas judgment on their every move.

Everyone who gets in a huff about an athlete or celebrity's twitter, needs to just take a breath and relax.

You're seeing a one second snap shot of their thought at that very moment. It means very little.

...He isn't bitching about work. What he is doing, is trying to make the organization look bad to the fans in an attempt to help him in the negotiating process. Him being in the spotlight has nothing to do with it. Sure, I have a Facebook and I have made posts bitching about work, but the difference here is that not EVERYBODY can see my Facebook. I am not using it to broadcast my problems to other people. I am just posting how I feel and letting my friends and family know what is what.

Twitter is all about self serving and self promoting. Why else do you think every time Entertainment Tonight comes on they want to ask you trivia questions about which Hollywood star said this using twitter today? It isn't hating on the guy, it is just the way it is.

You have no right to tell people how to react to what Donte Tweets. He put it out there for a reason so he will have to deal with the positive or negative reflections on his character as a result of it.

We are not seeing a one second snap shot of their thoughts that means very little, what we are seeing is a calculated and deliberate (all be it a passive aggressive) statement that is designed to get people to support him or in the very least put pressure on the organization. I am not saying that people need to tar and feather the guy or that he is even wrong. Hell, if I was in his position I might even do the same thing, but don't get on your high horse and defend something for what it isn't. Snap shot my ass.