Favorite Christmas Songs?

Ok, I'm an agnostic. But I'm fond of Christmas and a lot of the music. Sue me. :D

Anyway, we already had the thread for bad Christmas songs, here are a few of my favorites...

Carol of the Bells (TSO version especially...hell, anything by TSO)

Oh Holy Night (gorgeous tune)

Snoopy Christmas

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-mlP0MDips

I don't really have a favorite. I like so many of them but seeing Christmas to me is more bringing back memories of childhood I'd have to say anything off the Ray Coniff Singers albums from the 60's. Those played non-stop at our house when we were kids.

This album is what I remember from my childhood. Fantastic version of some of the classics as well as some lesser known Christmas tunes. "Go Tell It On The Mountain" is terrific.

Garth Brooks - The Gift

As a big fan of his music, more in the past then currently, this song is a pure pander violation to the Christians who like country music. It is right up there with Allan Jackson - Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning? It is a good song, though.

Best Duet:

Martina McBride & Dean Martin - Baby, It's Cold Outside.

Best Classic Song:

Best "new" Christmas Song:

Faith Hill - Where Are You Christmas

As a big fan of his music, more in the past then currently, this song is a pure pander violation to the Christians who like country music. It is right up there with Allan Jackson - Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning? It is a good song, though.

Best Duet:

Martina McBride & Dean Martin - Baby, It's Cold Outside.

Best Classic Song:

Best "new" Christmas Song:

Faith Hill - Where Are You Christmas

Good stuff. I offer...

An equally good duet:

Willie Nelson/Norah Jones - Baby, It's Cold Outside

A rock-n-roll classic:

Keith Richards - Run Run Rudolph

And nothing like hearing it by the guy that wrote it:

The Christmas Song - Mel Torme

And nothing like hearing it by the guy that wrote it:

The Christmas Song - Mel Torme

Great song, but I much prefer Nat King Cole's interpretation:

I heard a fantastic version this afternoon on a jazz station, with good vocals and great guitar, but they never said who performed the piece.

Great song, but I much prefer Nat King Cole's interpretation:

I heard a fantastic version this afternoon on a jazz station, with good vocals and great guitar, but they never said who performed the piece.

I love Nat's version - I like mine even more - but nothing quite like hearing Rachmaninov playing Rachmaninov, I think. JMO, of course.

(Enjoying a CR Cask #16 nitecap, neat - gonna watch Colbert and call it :beer: )

I love Nat's version - I like mine even more - but nothing quite like hearing Rachmaninov playing Rachmaninov, I think. JMO, of course.

(Enjoying a CR Cask #16 nitecap, neat - gonna watch Colbert and call it :beer: )

I have yet to try that. Let me know how it is.

And, with apologies to Harry Anderson, I've never been a fan of Mel's singing. He could write a song, though.

Edited by The Dean

Trans Siberian Orchestra is pretty good, I don't have a link to provide. I haven't quite figured out that yet.

Where would you even start out - it's all good! (Now having seen them them 5 years in a row, I would say their on stage persona is not all good - they are too much like Spinal Tap. But, the music, lights, pyrotechnics, etc. are all great!)

This is short, but I just stumbled on this the other day and love Zooey's voice (and her eyes):