I'll be eating nothing but lentils in 2011

In my college days there was a period where I lived on lentils and egg noodles adding sometimes tuna, or frozen veggies - and for favor hot sauce, salsa, or pasta sauce- plain lentils? I give you a week at most, more likely 3 days.

I'll take that challenge, good sir. The moment I cheat, I stop.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who didn't feel like reading the entirety of the original post, I'll quickly explain the gestalt of my experiment here...

The utility of food is for survival. But for humans with means, it is a luxury...a beneficient shared experience of the human condition. Food fills something of a similar role in our culture to music, entertainment media, reading, etc. Something we indulge in.

But what if we stopped indulging? What if food was nothing more than the means to an end, like it is for the rest of the living world? Would the remainder of our human experiences become that much more significant? Well, I plan to check that out.

Indulging in food for anything other than survival is a luxury? Good luck with this. I say you last less than a month. This is probably the stupidest experiments I've ever heard. But then again to me dining is more than just filling my stomach.

Oh and BTW. Tell all your friends to walk in front of you.

Indulging in food for anything other than survival is a luxury? Good luck with this. I say you last less than a month. This is probably the stupidest experiments I've ever heard. But then again to me dining is more than just filling my stomach.

Oh and BTW. Tell all your friends to walk in front of you.

Of course dining is more than filling one's stomach. That's why this is going to be difficult. I use the term luxury only to mean "non-necessity".

Chef, I'm not trying to denigrate the role of food in the shared human experience or the personal human experience...I'm attempting to understand it better. What becomes of the man who denies himself his most common form of joy? That's what I'm getting at.

I won't begrudge you the opinion that I'm stupid. I've gotten quite a bit of that, understandably.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

As for why I plan on doing this, the reasons are four...

1. I believe in testing the limits of our human experience....it will be more than a significant test of my will and spirit.

2. I want to develop a deeper appreciation for the simple joys in life. Sights, sounds, smells will all become more profound...at least, that's the plan.

4. I believe that one ought to do something absurd like this at least once in one's life, and embrace one's eccentricities instead of shunning them.

What don't you just drop some acid or try some shrooms??? Trust me you'll address all the above.

And BTW with all the different ways you can prepare lentils why go with 356 days of plain lentils? I take back my bet of not lasting a month. You won't last a week.

Well, we'll see. Never bet against a stubborn fool on a mission.

What don't you just drop some acid or try some shrooms??? Trust me you'll address all the above.

Ah yes, fun things indeed, but artificial. Looking for something genuinely visceral.

good luck sage!

a few years ago when i was between jobs and broke, i survived for 3 months on almost strictly Jasmine rice (with some butter, salt and pepper).

cant wait to hear how it goes.

Indulging in food for anything other than survival is a luxury?

hundreds of millions of hungry people would answer yes to that statement

Which leaves several billion that would answer no to that.

Well, given the distribution of wealth, its safe to assume that I grossly underestimated. Also, it doesnt matter if it's even 50/50, given how nature works, eating for pleasure and not survival IS a luxury. Nothing wrong with that, but that is the truth. Just like my cell phone is a luxury.

We get it though, you really really love "dining". And youre lucky that you can enjoy such a luxury.

Now make me some food! :nana:

Well, given the distribution of wealth, its safe to assume that I grossly underestimated. Also, it doesnt matter if it's even 50/50, given how nature works, eating for pleasure and not survival IS a luxury. Nothing wrong with that, but that is the truth. Just like my cell phone is a luxury.

We get it though, you really really love "dining". And youre lucky that you can enjoy such a luxury.

Now make me some food! :nana:

So my rueben sandwich with a bag of chips I just had was a luxury? Well I guess compared to plain lentils it is.

For those who didn't feel like reading the entirety of the original post, I'll quickly explain the gestalt of my experiment here...

The utility of food is for survival. But for humans with means, it is a luxury...a beneficient shared experience of the human condition. Food fills something of a similar role in our culture to music, entertainment media, reading, etc. Something we indulge in.

But what if we stopped indulging? What if food was nothing more than the means to an end, like it is for the rest of the living world? Would the remainder of our human experiences become that much more significant? Well, I plan to check that out.

What kind of degree are you getting over there? I hope it has nothing to do with earning a living?

So my rueben sandwich with a bag of chips I just had was a luxury?

Most definitely. Not only did you have the luxury of choosing your food, you have the luxury of placing more value on taste than you do nutritional value. Pleasing your taste buds over your body's health.

You are eating for pleasure, not to live.

How luxurious.

What kind of degree are you getting over there? I hope it has nothing to do with earning a living?

Why?

Statistics by the way, but I consider myself an aspiring writer.

good luck sage!

a few years ago when i was between jobs and broke, i survived for 3 months on almost strictly Jasmine rice (with some butter, salt and pepper).

cant wait to hear how it goes.

Thanks Dr. Dank! Out of curiosity...how did the dietary boredom affect you? More importantly, do you view food (and by extension, all of life's other pleasures) differently for the experience?

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Most definitely. Not only did you have the luxury of choosing your food, you have the luxury of placing more value on taste than you do nutritional value. Pleasing your taste buds over your body's health.

You are eating for pleasure, not to live.

How luxurious.

No, I did not eat my reuben sandwich for pleasure. I ate because I was hungry. If you compare my reuben to the starving of the world it's a luxury however they're a small minority. So most of the world eats because we're hungry, hardly a luxury and we dine on ocassion to take advantage of the luxury of food.

1. I believe in testing the limits of our human experience. I believe it will be more than a significant test of my will and spirit.

............Get married, that is a sure test of will and spirit

2. I want to develop a deeper appreciation for the simple joys in life. Sights, sounds, smells will all become more profound...at least, that's the plan.

............Have 3 kids within a 5 year period, You will experience plenty of profound sounds, smells and sights that you will never forget (no matter how hard you try)

4. I believe that one ought to do something absurd like this at least once in one's life, and embrace one's eccentricities instead of shunning them.

Try to raise those three kids and cloth them, feed them and send them to college, hope that they can grow up to support themselves and prosper

BONUS #5!

5. I'll save a ton of money.

No, one of those kids need major dental work.....nice try though, thanks for playing