I'll be eating nothing but lentils in 2011

I'll tell you Sage, I really dig your concept. I love the idea (a) of pushing yourself in such an extreme way and (b) that people should do something absurd or crazy at least once. But I'd suggest that you've set the bar too high and that you could perhaps have a more rewarding experience if you created a challenge that allowed for a higher possibility of success. I don't know you so I have no clue how strong your resolve is, but I'd have to join the field here and bet on the lentils dominating you at some point in 2011 (likely sooner than later). Yeah, you can still definitely learn a lot even if you end up failing, but I think maybe if you setup a less drastic (yet still stringent) challenge, you'd get a lot more out this.

And my doubts are not just centered on what you are attempting, but also your approach. I'm obviously making tons of assumptions here, but it sounds like you are doing things a little backwards. You've decided on and announced your goal, but you still haven't shored up such a core tenet of the plan, the health implications of an all-lentil diet. You say you plan on researching this. You say your brother is a nutritionist and you plan on using him as a resource. These are things I would have thought you'd already done. I in no way want this to sound condescending, but it sound like you were inspired/fascinated by the potato guy, decided you wanted to do something like that, picked a target (lentils) based on reasonable (but surface) analysis and then made the big announcement before really crunching the numbers. Even assuming further research shows that this plan is nutritionally safe and therefore, not DOA, I think the way you put it together is not indicative of a level of commitment high enough to take on such an onerous task. You've only been with this idea for a few weeks and it sounds like you were/are ready to jump in without having your ducks in a row. That smells to me like a recipe for a quick burnout, not a 365 day marathon.

And not that there is ever really a perfect time to do something like this, but attempting it in college lessens your odds ever more, IMO. College (for me and I'd think the vast majority of people) is the most socially chaotic stretch of your life. There is far less normalcy and routine, which is usually the lifeblood of a disciplined regimen. Maybe college life is different for you and I'm certainly not suggesting this might be any easier if you had a job, wife and kids. But the first thing I did when I read your post was wonder if I could do what you are trying. I doubt it. But I can't even fathom attempting it 6 years ago as a college senior.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do...good luck. Like I said, I dig stuff like this and I find it invigorating when I hear someone is lacing them up for a big internal struggle. Re-reading my post, I realize it comes off very very negatively. :lol: I don't mean to discourage idea of what I think you are attempting to do. Just playing devil's advocate as to my perceived pitfalls in your plan.

This would carry a lot more weight if it was something, maybe anything, besides lentils. Personally, I would have liked to seen a more inspiring sounding food....rhubarb or cactus or wolfsbane. Maybe something more challenging....like charcoal or hubcaps. But lentils? Meh.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would carry a lot more weight if it was something, maybe anything, besides lentils. Personally, I would have liked to seen a more inspiring sounding food....rhubarb or cactus or wolfsbane. Maybe something more challenging....like charcoal or hubcaps. But lentils? Meh.

I'm considering becoming a Breatharian.

He skipped the fact he is going to live on a tree branch the whole year.

I guess it was about a decade ago, a period in my life where freedom of boundaries was what mattered most. Experimentation was an integral way of life for me and I can happily say today that I feel internally fulfilled because of my experiences. During this time period, after traveling through many places, visiting many outdoor festivals, listening to mindbending music and meeting extremely liberating and interesting people I picked up a Hermann Hesse book and after reading it, my perspective on life had changed, the outlook different, humility was found.

I felt like such a self-absorbed piece of ****, that I made dramatic changes, some stuck with me, others was a mere overreacting result of demanding internal change. One of those dramatic changes was that I became a vegetarian for 19 months, no meat,no fish, just veggies. After a while, visiting friends barbecues, and only eating onions and bread off the grill while smelling beef on the grill, I realized that for me, that I had overreached, and this gesture from my part was more symbolic than anything.

What's my point? I have no !@#$ing clue....

But whatever you're looking for, probably won't be found eating strictly lentils. But then again, maybe you will....

Good luck

"He had finished with that. That also died in him. He rose, said farewell to the mango tree and the pleasure garden. As he had not had any food that day he felt extremely hungry, and thought of his house in town, of his room and bed, of the table with food. He smiled wearily, shook his head and said good-bye to these things."

I guess it was about a decade ago, a period in my life where freedom of boundaries was what mattered most. Experimentation was an integral way of life for me and I can happily say today that I feel internally fulfilled because of my experiences. During this time period, after traveling through many places, visiting many outdoor festivals, listening to mindbending music and meeting extremely liberating and interesting people I picked up a Hermann Hesse book and after reading it, my perspective on life had changed, the outlook different, humility was found.

I felt like such a self-absorbed piece of ****, that I made dramatic changes, some stuck with me, others was a mere overreacting result of demanding internal change. One of those dramatic changes was that I became a vegetarian for 19 months, no meat,no fish, just veggies. After a while, visiting friends barbecues, and only eating onions and bread off the grill while smelling beef on the grill, I realized that for me, that I had overreached, and this gesture from my part was more symbolic than anything.

But whatever you're looking for, probably won't be found eating strictly lentils. But then again, maybe you will....

Good luck

"He had finished with that. That also died in him. He rose, said farewell to the mango tree and the pleasure garden. As he had not had any food that day he felt extremely hungry, and thought of his house in town, of his room and bed, of the table with food. He smiled wearily, shook his head and said good-bye to these things."

Jesus will you people just go sit on a mountain!

Good luck

Holy crap dude share some of that doobie with Booster and Dean.

Holy crap dude share some of that doobie with Booster and Dean.

more likely opiates.

Hey, I'm good with either.

Just don't expect me to eat any crayons. That crap will make you psycho!

how about you plant a garden instead. or kill an animal, skin it, prep and cook it all by yourself. that should give you a new perspective on eating.