That damn Jerry Sullivan!!!

Lv-Bills

LMAO. Your honor, the defense rests!!!

By news, I meant even a short, factual blurb of "Today the Bills signed Offensive Lineman Joe Blow from the Packers practice squad".

That statement has more insight and knowledge than anything Jerry posts, positive or negative.

Im not expecting him to write fluff pieces when the Bills suck, but at least give us some original ideas and insight instead of just reactionary complaining. Again, thats why I prefer reading the TBD posters to Jerry, they actually can present some football knowledge and ideas of their own. And they are also held accountable for changing their opinions by the rest of us posters.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol::lol:

I could care less if he praises the Bills or bashes them...the guy is a hack. In my opinion, most if not all sports "writers" who's claim to fame is writing sports commentaries are really no different from the thousands of morons like myself that post in threads on message boards...wait, he gets paid to do it, so I guess he's a "pro". <_<

Correct, so whether you like it or not, that would be the definition of a pro. And as most of us now have the technology not to need the typical game story reporter to rehash a game story play by play, because we have all most likely already have seen the game, it's highlights, and watched the press conferences online, the opinion guys are pretty much all that get read nowadays.

Correct, so whether you like it or not, that would be the definition of a pro. And as most of us now have the technology not to need the typical game story reporter to rehash a game story play by play, because we have all most likely already have seen the game, it's highlights, and watched the press conferences online, the opinion guys are pretty much all that get read nowadays.

whats your point in this post?

Today should be a great day for all the Chris Brown lovers out there.

LMAO. Your honor, the defense rests!!!

Not quite sure what your point is here. Brown and Sullivan have completely different jobs/roles. Brown works for the Bills. You won't see him dish out much criticism. But he is does supply a Bills fan with a ton of information, especially during training camp and the off season.

Sullivan is a columnist. He provides virtually NO information about the Bills. How much new have you ever discovered from a Sully piece? His job is analysis and commentary.

Brown is far better at being the company flack than Sully is at being an insightful analyst.

I don't like Jerry Sullivan at all. I don't think he is a very good writer, and don't think he knows a helluva lot about football, or offers any insights. But I will read his column. His job is to get people to read his column. He's very good at his job. I would imagine his bosses like him quite a bit.

By news, I meant even a short, factual blurb of "Today the Bills signed Offensive Lineman Joe Blow from the Packers practice squad".

That statement has more insight and knowledge than anything Jerry posts, positive or negative.

Im not expecting him to write fluff pieces when the Bills suck, but at least give us some original ideas and insight instead of just reactionary complaining. Again, thats why I prefer reading the TBD posters to Jerry, they actually can present some football knowledge and ideas of their own. And they are also held accountable for changing their opinions by the rest of us posters.

So in other words, Jerry sucks because he doesn't give us original ideas when the franchise has made the same mistakes for going on a decade and a half, but he's supposed to be original right? But wait, there's more. TBD is better because it ISN'T full of "reactionary complaining"??? Jerry has no football knowledge right, none? And TBD hasn't rehashed the same tired topics over and over and over and over and over and over? Really? Should I point out some topics that get re-hashed every day? You think it's different for a writer that has no other angle to cover this team, because the organization hasn't given them one in over ten years?

TBD original? Please. The same things are discussed all of time. This ending to this year is helping a bit, but cmon.

A lot of it will, but not all of it. Nor should all of it. For instance, in next season's AFC Championship game, when Gailey has poor clock management skills at Pittsburgh, it should be brought up. Because most likely, that is the only mistake that cost us from going to the Superbowl in 2011. LOL.

But yeah, when this team shows signs of turning the corner, a lot of negativity will go away.

I agree if a team does somthing stupid then a reporter should tell it like it is and not sugar coat it because their afraid to offend a few fans.

Not quite sure what your point is here. Brown and Sullivan have completely different jobs/roles. Brown works for the Bills. You won't see him dish out much criticism. But he is does supply a Bills fan with a ton of information, especially during training camp and the off season.

Sullivan is a columnist. He provides virtually NO information about the Bills. How much new have you ever discovered from a Sully piece? His job is analysis and commentary.

Brown is far better at being the company flack than Sully is at being an insightful analyst.

Really? I discovered a ton about Eric Wood today just from his quote yesterday that was pointed out in Jerry's piece today. I discovered what I thought his frame of mind was. I always thought that Eric Wood seemed very much into the game. That quote seems to confirm my thoughts. I always had an impression that Wood could be a leader. That quote today confirmed that. I always HOPED that the Bills had some players that were tuned in to the the Bills plight. That quote confirmed everything I was hoping was true about Eric Wood.

For that piece of Sully's piece today, it made it all worth it to me. 100%. Got a ton from that.

Chris Brown is useless, as is anything not roster related coming from him. He offers nothing that makes us more knowledgeable. He is good at what he does. His job is just useless. If he went away, nobody would notice, and that doesn't seem very fulfilling to me. To each his own though.

I have no affection or dislike of a definition. I don't care for sports columnists, they are inflammatory for the sake of a buck, kinda like a whore with an STD.

If I want to read opinions on what is wrong (or right) with the Bills I'd rather read it here, there are more than a few posters here who could do a much better job than Sully...just my opinion.

The biggest problem I have with Jerry, (and Schopp)is that they are whiney little bitches that make it sound like they have such horrible jobs. When Jerry is on the radio with the other two stooges, you would think they have the toughest jobs on earth. Poor guys have to watch sports and talk about it with the people of Buffalo. Show some enthusiasm and stop coming across like a miserable, condescending douchebag.

I don't like Jerry Sullivan at all. I don't think he is a very good writer, and don't think he knows a helluva lot about football, or offers any insights. But I will read his column. His job is to get people to read his column. He's very good at his job. I would imagine his bosses like him quite a bit.

He is good at his job, if you define his job as "attracting an audience". Actually I should say he might be good at his job under that definition. I haven't seen any readership data from the Snooze in years. I'd guess his column is highly read among readers of the Snooze's sports page. I would also guess more people watch Kilgore in one night than read Sully in a month. (That might have changed a bit since I stopped looking at local data.)

It's unfortunate the mind-set of sports talk radio (all controversy all the time!) has moved to newspapers. Apparently pin-headed consumers can't deal with honest and balanced analysis and discussion. It's too "boring".

So in other words, Jerry sucks because he doesn't give us original ideas when the franchise has made the same mistakes for going on a decade and a half, but he's supposed to be original right? But wait, there's more. TBD is better because it ISN'T full of "reactionary complaining"??? Jerry has no football knowledge right, none? And TBD hasn't rehashed the same tired topics over and over and over and over and over and over? Really? Should I point out some topics that get re-hashed every day? You think it's different for a writer that has no other angle to cover this team, because the organization hasn't given them one in over ten years?

TBD original? Please. The same things are discussed all of time. This ending to this year is helping a bit, but cmon.

You're kind of supporting my point, that a bunch of internet posters are just as good as this "professional".

Yes, the same topics are discussed endlessly here, same with Jerry (the "professional").

Yes, there is reactionary complaining here, same with Jerry (the "professional").

The difference is, out of all the BS posted here, if you know what/who to look for there is actually some good football analysis too. Unlike what the "professional" offers.

Based on his writing, I have no issue stating that it seems Sullivan has very little Football knowledge. I wont say he doesnt have any, since I believe he knows what a first down is, etc. But outside of the same basics my girlfriend knows, he isnt exactly a great analyst of the game. I can get better coverage here by a few amateurs. And I think that speaks volumes about his credibility as a journalist.

your post is as confusing as Sullivan's articles. Are you a fan of his writing or are you being condescending? You really never commit to either side as you call out the Sullivan haters. Are you trying to motivate dialogue for his benefit or are you being a smart a** bc you dont like him. Your conclusion "our boy Jerry Sullivan" is it condescending? I dont mean to offend but clarity would be nice. If you read that article closely you could read bewteen the lines that he is heavily discounting the team and ends the article with a condescending:

"OK, it wasn't like beating Don Shula in his final game, or Jim Kelly outdueling Dan Marino in the snow. But they knocked out Miami, and when has that ever been a bad thing? Go ahead. Ask the person at the water cooler if it mattered." -Sullivan

My take is that he believes most at the water cooler wouldn't think that THIS bills win over the fins doesn't matter. Which he is wrong and being a tremendous hater bc he has to eat crow. we sat Miami Down and we nearly beat the pats last time. We are due and its a home game. Sully is just weaslin his way in on the fun after nearly begging the Bills to lose so he could get his new "Jim Kelly" and pontificate that a single man brought the org back as oppose to the COMPLETE team effort that is unveiling itself before our very eyes. Shame on sully for using quill trickery as oppose to and old fashion apology or admitting he was wrong.

Both.

Sully is weaslin his way in on the fun huh? There's no way he could be just telling it like it is huh? No way he's just stating that this win is a little better than beating woeful Detroit, Cincy and Cleveland? LOL. Of course not, he's weasling in on fun. Geesus people, get a grip.

whats your point in this post?

That Jerry is a pro. Pretty simple. I don't why some of you are so jealous that he's considered a pro.

How dare he write a positive piece, and feel good about the Bills? So, what, none of the whiny bitches want to post today that Jerry was finally teabagging the Bills and Fitzpatrick in his column today? I'm surprised. For as many of you who whine about how WGR blows (yet you all still listen to it, despite claiming not to), and that Jerry sucks because he's critical of what has been pretty much the worst franchise in the NFL over the last decade, where are you today?

I thought, after reading today's piece, some of you would be throwing confetti, like you were at a Bills game in 1991. Or popping open the champagne, because Jerry wrote a feel good column today.

Come on whiners, rejoice, today is your day. Jerry seemed to have some fun watching the Bills yesterday. He even seems to be a little bit of a fan, which some of you want so dearly. Today is your day.

Speak up. Give Jerry his props. Just think if they beat New England! Jerry will be gushing with Bills pride. And then, all of you that wish he was Chris Brown instead of Jerry Sullivan would be ecstatic.

Go Bills. ONE WIN over the Pats would be sweet, for you, me and for our boy Jerry Sullivan.

:thumbsup:

Being negative, with a little positive sells papers. Being positive most of the time doesn't. Lesson over

You're kind of supporting my point, that a bunch of internet posters are just as good as this "professional".

Yes, the same topics are discussed endlessly here, same with Jerry (the "professional").

Yes, there is reactionary complaining here, same with Jerry (the "professional").

The difference is, out of all the BS posted here, if you know what/who to look for there is actually some good football analysis too. Unlike what the "professional" offers.

Based on his writing, I have no issue stating that it seems Sullivan has very little Football knowledge. I wont say he doesnt have any, since I believe he knows what a first down is, etc. But outside of the same basics my girlfriend knows, he isnt exactly a great analyst of the game. I can get better coverage here by a few amateurs. And I think that speaks volumes about his credibility as a journalist.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!! :rolleyes:

There's no way he could be just telling it like it is huh?

Worst journalistic expression ever. Cosell should have been publicly flogged for saying that.

A person can "call em as they see em" or "pull no punches". Nobody can "tell it like it is", just the way they think it is. And since Sully is not a particularly knowledgeable football analyst, it's always a crap-shoot if his opinions have any connection to "the truth". Add to that his obvious intention to be controversial and you can't even be sure he "calls em as he sees em".

Here is why JS sucks - he has no underlying logic to where he delivers his columns from. You cannot write - exactly one week ago - that winning the Cleveland game is actually bad and meaningless, then today write that winning the Miami game is good and meaningful.

Compare his writing to say - the late Jim Kelley - and one can see the difference more eloquently.

He blows like thw wind and that is why he is still is pissy column writer for the 60th largest paper in the country.

Others like Kelley - moved up and on. If the News went belly up - who in the world would pick him up?