Official Shanahan Thread

I'm sure his son, the offensive coordinator, thinks he's a genius. Especially for getting rid of a perfectly decent QB that he didn't like.

I have this terrible feeling of deja vu - like I've been in this exact same place just hours ago... :unsure:

Yeah -- I swear I saw this thread in the morning.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last winter after Shanahan interviewed for the Bills coaching job & went to D.C. to interview for the job there, some posters were saying that he rejected the Bills job for this reason or for that and that we "blew it" again. Well, maybe the Bills braintrust detected something in him that others missed. Who confirmed the he rejected the Bills anyway? Or was that a media creation? Look at the mess he's created in Washington. The total mishandling of McNabb, twice, as well as all that Haynesworth headache. And with those situations as a backdrop, how much trust, really, do the players have in Shanahan now? I don't think he's looking so smart now.

So we have Chan here & look at the progression the team has made since midseason. The players are playing hard & enthusiastic in Dec. Chan has a whole lot less talent overall to work with, and we're winning ball games (save the Minnesota game.) The Bills have set up a nice foundation to build on for next season and beyond. What's "genious" Shanahan got going? A mess and lots of uncertainty the he has created. I don't know what happened to his thinking there in D.C., but he's lost a lot of class & credibility w/ me. Feel free to give opinions.

I wasn't too sure about the choice of Chan and Co at the beginning of 2010. I have been pleasantly surprised; Chan and his staff have done a very good job with the team. Hope that 2011 is a great year for the Bills!

Last winter after Shanahan interviewed for the Bills coaching job & went to D.C. to interview for the job there, some posters were saying that he rejected the Bills job for this reason or for that and that we "blew it" again. Well, maybe the Bills braintrust detected something in him that others missed. Who confirmed the he rejected the Bills anyway? Or was that a media creation? Look at the mess he's created in Washington. The total mishandling of McNabb, twice, as well as all that Haynesworth headache. And with those situations as a backdrop, how much trust, really, do the players have in Shanahan now? I don't think he's looking so smart now.

So we have Chan here & look at the progression the team has made since midseason. The players are playing hard & enthusiastic in Dec. Chan has a whole lot less talent overall to work with, and we're winning ball games (save the Minnesota game.) The Bills have set up a nice foundation to build on for next season and beyond. What's "genious" Shanahan got going? A mess and lots of uncertainty the he has created. I don't know what happened to his thinking there in D.C., but he's lost a lot of class & credibility w/ me. Feel free to give opinions.

I have abetter question how much better does Gaily look now?

Well, maybe the Bills braintrust detected something in him that others missed. Who confirmed the he rejected the Bills anyway? Or was that a media creation? Look at the mess he's created in Washington. The total mishandling of McNabb, twice, as well as all that Haynesworth headache. And with those situations as a backdrop, how much trust, really, do the players have in Shanahan now? I don't think he's looking so smart now.

I think that is a lot of hooey- I think Shanahan saw he wasn't going to be able to have the large amount of power he was seeking nor a team with much talent as he saw it, and declined.

We just got plain lucky that he rejected Buffalo- he has proven that without a Hall of Fame QB and a talented team, he's just no good.

No one has to re-write history.

Elway carried Denver to 3 Super Bowl appearances before Shanahan arrived.

Shanahan worked for one of the best owners and organizations in the NFL.

Shanahan is overrated and his record post-Elway proves it.

You are rewriting history a little bit. Elway, in his prime, lost 3 SBs. Shanahan came, brought in different system that allowed an aging Elway to lead them to consecutive SBs in his final two years in a long career. After Elway retired, MS had to get to the playoffs with QBs like Brain Griese and Jake Plummer.

Since Shanahan left, the Broncos have self immolated.

You are rewriting history a little bit. Elway, in his prime, lost 3 SBs. Shanahan came, brought in different system that allowed an aging Elway to lead them to consecutive SBs in his final two years in a long career. After Elway retired, MS had to get to the playoffs with QBs like Brain Griese and Jake Plummer.

Since Shanahan left, the Broncos have self immolated.

Disagree.

IMO Elway carrried those Dan Reeves teams to the Super Bowl. How many great players were on those teams? Their best runners were people like Sammy Winder and Gaston Green. Their best receivers were guys like Steve Watson and Mark Jackson. Elway carried that team. Without him they were just another football team.

As I already stated, Shanahan's record in 10 post-Elway seasons was 4 playoff appearances, and a 1-4 playoff record.

Ten years without Elway, 1 playoff victory. No. I think you're wrong.

Oh, the Irony! And the Skins have much more talent than the Bills!

Here are the starters today for Washington.

Offense: Grossman, Torain, Sellers, Moss, Brown, Montgomery, Rabach, Leichtensteiger, Williams, Cooley, Armstrong.

Defense: Hall, Carriker, Kemoeatu, Gholston, Rogers, Alexander, Fletcher, Macintosh, Orakpo, Doughty, Moore.

"Much more talent"?

I'd like to have Cooley, Williams, Fletcher, and Orakpo but would pass on the rest. In the non-20/20 hindsight department, Donovan McNabb would have been vastly preferred to Trent Edwards back in August by nearly anyone that knows football. In fact, despite having a dismal season, McNabb probably still would be. On the other hand, Fitzgibbons has really blossomed nicely in Chan's offense.

Disagree.

IMO Elway carrried those Dan Reeves teams to the Super Bowl. How many great players were on those teams? Their best runners were people like Sammy Winder and Gaston Green. Their best receivers were guys like Steve Watson and Mark Jackson. Elway carried that team. Without him they were just another football team.

As I already stated, Shanahan's record in 10 post-Elway seasons was 4 playoff appearances, and a 1-4 playoff record.

Ten years without Elway, 1 playoff victory. No. I think you're wrong.

I think you're selling Dav Reeves short here. He had success with the Giants and Falcons as well. I agree that Shanahan was overrated this offseason, but you have to give him credit for putting together a system that provided a running game to take the pressure off Elway.

I also say you have to give him credit for having the balls to bench McNabb. I know it's hard to judge after 1 game, but Rex Goliath looked better today than McNabb has all season.

I think you're selling Dan Reeves short here. He had success with the Giants and Falcons as well. I agree that Shanahan was overrated this offseason, but you have to give him credit for putting together a system that provided a running game to take the pressure off Elway.

I also say you have to give him credit for having the balls to bench McNabb. I know it's hard to judge after 1 game, but Rex Goliath looked better today than McNabb has all season.

Reeves was a good football coach. No doubt. He was good.

What I'll give Shana-dad credit for was having a good staff in Denver. Gary Kubiak is a much better offensive coordinator than Kyle Shanahan and Shana-dad is a much better offensive coach when Gary Kubiak and Alex Gibbs are on his staff.

Gary Kubiak was Broncos offensive coordinator from 1995-2005. Though his Houston teams haven't made the playoffs, no one questions what a great offensive coach Kubiak is.

The legendary offensive line coach Alex Gibbs who has built great running attacks elsewhere, was Denver's Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach from 1995-2003.

It's very possible that Shanahan built his reputation on the excellence of Elway, Kubiak, and Gibbs.

Andy Reid on the other hand, has been his own offensive coordinator with guys like Brad Childress being OC in title only.

There's no question Andy Reid can build a great offense. In my mind there's ample question whether Mike Shanahan can.

We'll get to see. Shanny will be back in Washington next year and today's first step without McNabb was a positive step forward.

I have abetter question how much better does Gaily look now?

Dumber then a box of rocks to me, the stupid sob is still trying to win games when it serves no practical purpose but to push the Bills back into a later round draft pick....

He should have started Brian Brohm and pulled Fitz as soon as the Bills were eliminated from the playoffs like Shanahan is doing with McNabb,...so if for nothing else he will finally know what he has in Brohm, and if he can rely on him as being a solid backup or perhaps even the QB of the future. He sure as heck won't know by watching him in pre season now will he, he was clueless about Edwards.

You guys just keep praising your new GM and HC, both are as stupid as they come. It took Gailey 6 weeks into the season before he realized what he had in Fred Jackson, something he should have known in OTA's. He wasted an entire off season on Trent Edwards and went into the season thinking Cornell Green could do the job at RT.

This franchise, and owner deserve the moron GM Buddy Nix, self proclaimed "not the smartest guy in the room" and his moronic hire as HC in Chan Gailey.

Dumber then a box of rocks to me, the stupid sob is still trying to win games when it serves no practical purpose but to push the Bills back into a later round draft pick....

He should have started Brian Brohm and pulled Fitz as soon as the Bills were eliminated from the playoffs like Shanahan is doing with McNabb,...so if for nothing else he will finally know what he has in Brohm, and if he can rely on him as being a solid backup or perhaps even the QB of the future. He sure as heck won't know by watching him in pre season now will he, he was clueless about Edwards.

You guys just keep praising your new GM and HC, both are as stupid as they come. It took Gailey 6 weeks into the season before he realized what he had in Fred Jackson, something he should have known in OTA's. He wasted an entire off season on Trent Edwards and went into the season thinking Cornell Green could do the job at RT.

This franchise, and owner deserve the moron GM Buddy Nix, self proclaimed "not the smartest guy in the room" and his moronic hire as HC in Chan Gailey.

:lol:

I didn't know that teams play to lose in the NFL? So I guess Carolina and Cinci must also be dumber than a box of rocks for winning this late and endangering their No 1 pick position?

He should have started Brian Brohm and pulled Fitz as soon as the Bills were eliminated from the playoffs

What makes you think Brian Brohm will ever start in the NFL? Rex Grossman at least has had a history of successful NFL starts with the Bears.

I didn't know that teams play to lose in the NFL? So I guess Carolina and Cinci must also be dumber than a box of rocks for winning this late and endangering their No 1 pick position?

What makes you think Brian Brohm will ever start in the NFL? Rex Grossman at least has had a history of successful NFL starts with the Bears.

Are you guys really this dense? How will the Buffalo Bills ever know if Brohm is good enough to even be a back up if he doesn't play? The current moron head coach clearly can't identify between a good QB and bad QB judging by last seasons OTA's-off season or pre-season, look at what he did with Trent Edwards!

Beating the Dolphins serves no practical purpose other then a "feel good" day or so, then the realization that this team "isn't going anywhere" sets in. The team should be evaluating what they have in Brian Brohm and Brown, they should already know they have the starter in Fitz. So what happens next season if the team starts out 8-0 and Fitz suffers a season ending injury, they have to start Brohm and he falls on his face...what then? Heck, wouldn't it have been a greater win if Brian Brohm stepped in and beat the Dolphins?

Yea, both head coaches in Carolina and Ciny are dumb as they come in my view, but then both those head coaches were as good as gone.... winning the next few games "might" just save their jobs. In Buffalo things are different, this is a supposed rebuilding year for the Bills and Chan Gailey shouldn't be worried about his job, he should be evaluating what he has behind Fitz.

Are you guys really this dense? How will the Buffalo Bills ever know if Brohm is good enough to even be a back up if he doesn't play? The current moron head coach clearly can't identify between a good QB and bad QB judging by last seasons OTA's-off season or pre-season, look at what he did with Trent Edwards!

Beating the Dolphins serves no practical purpose other then a "feel good" day or so, then the realization that this team "isn't going anywhere" sets in. The team should be evaluating what they have in Brian Brohm and Brown, they should already know they have the starter in Fitz. So what happens next season if the team starts out 8-0 and Fitz suffers a season ending injury, they have to start Brohm and he falls on his face...what then? Heck, wouldn't it have been a greater win if Brian Brohm stepped in and beat the Dolphins?

Yea, both head coaches in Carolina and Ciny are dumb as they come in my view, but then both those head coaches were as good as gone.... winning the next few games "might" just save their jobs. In Buffalo things are different, this is a supposed rebuilding year for the Bills and Chan Gailey shouldn't be worried about his job, he should be evaluating what he has behind Fitz.

Chan is currently evaluating his young wide receiver corps by having a quality qb such as Fitz throw to them. Sure Chan can play Brohm, but at the same time he won't get a good idea of which of his wideouts are worth keeping and progressing. It can go both ways. I can see your view about evaluating Brohm, but perhaps Chan isn't too high on him and would rather see what the receivers have to offer. Or maybe Chan is fine with Brohm and has enough on him to have a good gauge of his ability and therefor wants to spend time evaluating the receivers to see who is worth keeping. Either way talent is being evaluated to further the team.

Obvious troll.