9/11 First responders Bill

... and about that "tax loophole" The reason the loophole exists in the first place is that the tax on foreign companies is punitive, so legislature agreed to a workaround that basically equalizes taxes that multinationals pay across the world. If US raises its tax rates on foreign companies, that simply raises their cost of doing business in the US. They can respond in two ways, accept lower profits or reduce their US-based operations.

Another win for the progressives who can't do basic math.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it wasn't a waste at all. Magox hit the nail on the head: lemmings like you and conner don't have an informed opinion on this bill either, but you just can't pass up a chance to bleat "GOP BAD!"

I found this amazing Chuck Shumer quote today at CNN: "It will be decision day in the Senate, and we will see once and for all who will keep their promise to never forget the heroes of 9/11," Schumer said Tuesday.

I'd mock you NYers aboutt his douche if we didn't contribute the idiocy trifecta of Pelosi-Boxer-Brown.

I found this amazing Chuck Shumer quote today at CNN: "It will be decision day in the Senate, and we will see once and for all who will keep their promise to never forget the heroes of 9/11," Schumer said Tuesday.

I'd mock you NYers aboutt his douche if we didn't contribute the idiocy trifecta of Pelosi-Boxer-Brown.

If I could draw I'd make a cartoon with Chuck Shumer decked out like Big Daddy Kane pimping out fire fighters on the street corner.

Edited by Rob's House

pLemming would mock him for saying that too if this was 2004 and his name was George Bush.

Big surprise there.

So you are saying he is wrong for wanting to show us "who will keep their promise to never forget the heroes of 9/11"?? If they are going to keep using the 9/11 as part of their statements/speeches they should back this bill.

Yeah, I'm a lemming because I think that this is a good bill for 9/11 First Responders. Maybe we should just say screw them because it's to expensive right KD?

Edited by pBills

So you are saying he is wrong for wanting to show us "who will keep their promise to never forget the heroes of 9/11"?? If they are going to keep using the 9/11 as part of their statements/speeches they should back this bill.

Yeah, I'm a lemming because I think that this is a good bill for 9/11 First Responders. Maybe we should just say screw them because it's to expensive right KD?

And I don't think that you'd get much pushback if this bill was targeted at 9/11 First Responders, instead of the entire living & working population of Lower Manhattan who can demonstrate a wheezy cough.

I just copied from the link and broke down in real terms what the hold up was. Even Dan, who sympathises with the party you support acknowledged it wasn't what the typical lemmings (YOU) believe it to be.. It is not just a cost issue, it is a logistical one in how it gets delivered, to who and how it is funded.

No one is against the entitlement Pbrain, everyone is in agreement with that part, your party wants to pay for it through closing tax loopholes (which is a tax) and Conservatives want to pay for it through spending cuts. Also the bill never went through Committees to be debated. That is the process.

If there were real grown ups on either side of the aisle, there would be a compromise, but considering Harry Reid has control of the agenda and what is put in the bill, there is no chance for compromise. So what they do, Schumer gets up in his First responder gear, gets some first responders as props in a news conference and says "the GOP doesn't want to save 9/11 Responders" and then makes the issue a very political one, and this of course plays on the sympathies of the weak minded (YOU), and then the liberal pundits like Stewart comes out and says "GOP doesn't want to save 9/11 responders" and then the lemmings (YOU) say "look, the GOP doesn't want to save 9/11 responders".

You see PBrain, it is exactly what I said, everyone wants to get the bill done:

UPDATED 1:44 pm ET: A deal has been reached to pave the way for Senate passage of a health bill to aid 9/11 first responders.

Some GOP senators, led by Tom Coburn, R-Okla., had been blocking quick passage of the bill over objections about its cost and the process by which the legislation passed through Congress.

But after negotiations led by New York Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, the impasse appears to have been broken, possibly setting up the last legislative action of the 111th Congress this afternoon.

"The Christmas Miracle we've been looking for has arrived," the New York senators said in a statement. "Over the last 24 hours, our Republican colleagues have negotiated in good-faith to forge a workable final package that will protect the health of the men and women who selflessly answered our nation's call in her hour of greatest need."

It's now expected that no objections will be raised that could slow down or kill passage.

The agreement reduces the total cost of the bill, closes the compensation fund after five years, and limits attorneys fees.

"I'm pleased the sponsors of this bill agreed to lower costs dramatically, offset the bill, sunset key provisions and take steps to prevent fraud," Coburn said in a statement.

The bill must be approved by the House (which has remained in session in hopes of the chance to approve the measure) before going to the president for signing.

Now the bill is even better, and this ended up being a good deal for everyone, and the Dems won political points for doing so, why?

Because they were able to fool the lemmings (YOU) into believing that the other side of the aisle didn't want to get this bill done.

You see PBrain, it is exactly what I said, everyone wants to get the bill done:

Now the bill is even better, and this ended up being a good deal for everyone, and the Dems won political points for doing so, why?

Because they were able to fool the lemmings (YOU) into believing that the other side of the aisle didn't want to get this bill done.

Yeah, you got to love those statements coming from Coburn saying that he will NEVER let it go through. That it's only there because it's the end of the year (in other words, the end of this congress). Sorry I think the dude is a hack.. and as a doctor he should have worked HARD on this bill instead of being an a-hole. The costs could have been brought down without all of his drama.

Talk about lemmings.. you believe that no matter what they always have our best interest in mind. For me, that is a mixed feeling. Best interest as long as it comes under his watch.

Edited by pBills

Yeah, you got to love those statements coming from Coburn saying that he will NEVER let it go through. That it's only there because it's the end of the year (in other words, the end of this congress). Sorry I think the dude is a hack.. and as a doctor he should have worked HARD on this bill instead of being an a-hole. The costs could have been brought down without all of his drama.

Talk about lemmings.. you believe that no matter what they always have our best interest in mind. For me, that is a mixed feeling. Best interest as long as it comes under his watch.

Never said or even inferred that point, after I studied over what really was going on, (and it only took me about 5 minutes) it had absolutely nothing to do with what you suggested. It was what I said it was, which was a logistical and funding issue, and after both sides decided to act like grownups, a deal was made, a better deal.

You on the otherhand, made the typical empty headline argument, that was fed to you by your masters, which was "Look the GOP they are blocking this bill because they are heartless obstructionists".

You never even delved into it or if you did, you weren't able to comprehend what the problem was, but rather you allowed your political masters and pundits dictate to you the argument, which again was "Look the GOP they are blocking this because they are heartless obstructionists".

Dan on the otherhand is a much brighter guy than you are. I made my case, I showed him the CBO score and factual info on the bill, and he agreed, it had to do with substantive disagreements on the funding and the logistics of the delivery mechanism as opposed to what your masters sold you, which was a bogey man argument meant to play on the sympathies of the mindless lemmings (You).

That is what we call

hook

line

&

Sinker

And the drama could have been avoided if the left didn't find it necessary to shove all those ridiculous costs and lack of accountability into the bill in the first place.

It's amazing, even when it's in black and white, right and front of him, he still refuses to accept what happened. :lol:

Dan on the otherhand is a much brighter guy than you are. I made my case, I showed him the CBO score and factual info on the bill, and he agreed, it had to do with substantive disagreements on the funding and the logistics of the delivery mechanism as opposed to what your masters sold you, which was a bogey man argument meant to play on the sympathies of the mindless lemmings (You).

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. :pirate: But, I'll take it!

It does seem like leveler heads prevailed and a good compromise reached for the betterment of all. For that, I think we can all say good job. Being down there for the initial 4 months, and very much involved in the health and safety effort within the restricted zone as well as lower Manhattan, all I can say is I have very mixed feelings about all of this. On one hand jboyst62 makes some very valid points. On the other, the circumstances down there were quite unique in most every way possible. So, I can't completely just say they had respirators and should have worn them. In the end, I guess I can say that this was one of the more tragic events in America's history and the single most tragic event in many thousands of American's personal lives. Any comfort we, as a nation, can provide; I'm all for it. More than anything... I'm just sick and tired of politicians and pundits, on both sides, politicizing and profiting from the events of that day.

Will there be people that try and abuse the bill and profit off of it? As with everything... Yes. But, that shouldn't let us detract from the many that truly do need this bill passed and will hopefully suffer just a little bit less.

Apparently it passed. The media are tripping over themselves calling BO "the come back kid" :rolleyes:

Just watched his press conference. The "press corp" did nothing but blow kisses at him except for some lardo[Noonan?] who was outraged the "rich" kept their tax cuts. BO then babbled for 10 minutes about how the Government needs money to invent things like the internet,blah,blah, and further more, etc. Dosn't he ever give a straight answer?

Apparently it passed. The media are tripping over themselves calling BO "the come back kid" :rolleyes:

Just watched his press conference. The "press corp" did nothing but blow kisses at him except for some lardo[Noonan?] who was outraged the "rich" kept their tax cuts. BO then babbled for 10 minutes about how the Government needs money to invent things like the internet,blah,blah, and further more, etc. Dosn't he ever give a straight answer?

Dude....have you ever I mean !@#$ing EVER heard any politician give a straight answer?

No, you're a lemming because you can't articulate WHY you think this is a good bill. And of course we should say 'screw it' to this and every other bill if it is too expensive. Cost is always a deterimining factor unless you are a complete retard.