9/11 First responders Bill

One of the things I genuinely admire about the left is their incredible ability to take complex issues and label them such that absolutely, positively no one should be against them.

How the hell do you even THINK about arguing about anything that is titled 9/11 First Reponders (Fill in the Blank)? If you don't support this bill, you must hate firemen...police officers...emergency medical technicians. Why do you hate these people?

I'm still reading up on the Pigford case, but that has "You must hate black farmers" written all over it.

Seriously...ya gotta give the left props for hawking their wares so well.

It boils down to the fact that these where union people. NYC union people, of all things. They are all hero's.

What blisters my butt is if a military grunt who makes the same in a year as these overtime sucking "hero's" make in a week go's in the line of fire for this country and gets shot up the only "compensation" is a purple heart or a cheap box.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer the rest of what you're asking, but it seems to me that 9/11 counts for more than other, "lesser" disasters. It simply does.

In this case, I think it's mostly about all the carcinogens that these people were breathing in (for days and days) as a result of these old buildings collapsing. Katrina, for example, was very bad, but there does not seem to be type of long-term threat associated with those who helped out with that. I can't think of anything else to really compare 9/11 to.

Because skeptics who are very familiar with the terrain and the vocal parties that are clamoring for this bill without producing full evidence of the health impacts to the affected area, recognize this bill for the boondogle that it is creating.

Realistically there should be no more than 1,000 people who may suffer serious side effects from working on the hole. At a total cost of $7.5bn, that works out to about $7.5mil per person.

I wore a mask for a week - where's my cut? Shouldn't alarm bells ring somewhere?

To me the grandstanding on the 9/11 First Responder Bill is the polar opposite of the "ground zero" mosque debate.

Because skeptics who are very familiar with the terrain and the vocal parties that are clamoring for this bill without producing full evidence of the health impacts to the affected area, recognize this bill for the boondogle that it is creating.

Realistically there should be no more than 1,000 people who may suffer serious side effects from working on the hole. At a total cost of $7.5bn, that works out to about $7.5mil per person.

I wore a mask for a week - where's my cut? Shouldn't alarm bells ring somewhere?

To me the grandstanding on the 9/11 First Responder Bill is the polar opposite of the "ground zero" mosque debate.

I lived next to the Pentagon. Where's mine?

This bill does little more than legislate yet another victim class.

So I was watching Chuck Schumer speak today, wearing some sort of outfit that resembles something that a firefighter or first responder would wear, and of course he had firefighters and first responders there at his side as props (sort of like the time Obama had all those doctors in doctors garments in a speech to sell to the public his insurance bill or when he had gary coleman at his side when he signed the health insurance bill into law) and he was criticizing the GOP for playing politics regarding this issue.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in his hypocrisy?

So I was watching Chuck Schumer speak today, wearing some sort of outfit that resembles something that a firefighter or first responder would wear, and of course he had firefighters and first responders there at his side as props (sort of like the time Obama had all those doctors in doctors garments in a speech to sell to the public his insurance bill or when he had gary coleman at his side when he signed the health insurance bill into law) and he was criticizing the GOP for playing politics regarding this issue.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in his hypocrisy?

No. This whole thing got me thinking, was not Bush giving a speech at the WTC pit in a matter of days? Is he not entitled to hero status and lifetime benefits for that?

No. This whole thing got me thinking, was not Bush giving a speech at the WTC pit in a matter of days? Is he not entitled to hero status and lifetime benefits for that?

He gets a gold star for reading "My Pet Goat" so eloquently.

It's amazing to me how quickly the Patriotism on the Right runs cold once we start talking about dollars and cents.

Why is objecting to billions being given to anyone who happened to be in NYC on 9/11 running cold on patriotism?

You have to excuse Gene, he doesn't really have a firm grip on fiscal issues and it's just his schtick to paint all southerners as retards, religous people as mindless morons and Conservatives as uncompassionate heartless bastards.

That's how re rolls.

He gets a gold star for reading "My Pet Goat" so eloquently.

It's amazing to me how quickly the Patriotism on the Right runs cold once we start talking about dollars and cents.

Never caught that until now. Victims aren't just heros, they're heroic patriots.

One of the things I genuinely admire about the left is their incredible ability to take complex issues and label them such that absolutely, positively no one should be against them.

How the hell do you even THINK about arguing about anything that is titled 9/11 First Reponders (Fill in the Blank)? If you don't support this bill, you must hate firemen...police officers...emergency medical technicians. Why do you hate these people?

I'm still reading up on the Pigford case, but that has "You must hate black farmers" written all over it.

Seriously...ya gotta give the left props for hawking their wares so well.

And if you didn't support the invasion of Iraq and the Patriot Act, you were labeled as anti-American and a terrorist sympathizer by conservatives (who ironically claim to defend the Constitution while enacting laws that weaken our rights).

Or is it even more amazing that the only people in this thread who can qualify for the benefits are the ones who are questioning the bill?

It's amazing to me how quickly progressives insist we hand out money we don't have, while requiring no accountability to receive it.

I've never seen a more generous group in charge of the printing press.

I've never seen a more generous group in charge of the printing press.

Normally, I would point out that this is an inaccurate statement, in that Treasury is responsible for doling out funds, which usually means it comes from either tax receipts or treasury bonds, but in this case, you are actually partially correct, simply because the Federal reserve has now embarked upon a debt monetization strategy.

Normally, I would point out that this is an inaccurate statement, in that Treasury is responsible for doling out funds, which usually means it comes from either tax receipts or treasury bonds, but in this case, you are actually partially correct, simply because the Federal reserve has now embarked upon a debt monetization strategy.

Thanks, Cliffy. I'm sure everyone looks forward to enjoying your lighthearted, humorous side at the postal service Christmas party this week. :lol:

Edited by LABillzFan

Oh so you just chime in on a thread to bash other members here. What a waste.

Very nice of you d-bag.

Actually, it wasn't a waste at all. Magox hit the nail on the head: lemmings like you and conner don't have an informed opinion on this bill either, but you just can't pass up a chance to bleat "GOP BAD!" And that is what is being bashed -- the ignorance it takes to attack legislatures for choosing not to spend $7.4B on something when you don't understand where that money will go.

And spare us the 'closing tax loopholes' crap since that has nothing to do with the first responders expense. Why not close the loophole, not spend the $7.4B and reduce the deficit? Unless of course you can articulate who/what/how long is being covered by that $7.4B.