The Bills do not need to draft a QB

eball

Fitz clearly has "what it takes" to lead an NFL-caliber offense. After watching his 11 games this season, and the 6 or 7 last year, I'm ready to stick with the guy for the next 4-5 years.

That said, Buffalo's needs are at LB, DE, and continued strengthening of the OL. Re-sign Whitner and Fitz to 4 or 5 year deals.

Next season the offense gets Easley and Parrish back at WR, and perhaps Spiller becomes truly ready for primetime. The young guys on D have gotten a lot of playing time this year, and with a FA acquisition or two and decent draft the team could compete immediately for the playoffs.

And yes, I realize this whole plan is contingent upon the decision-makers at OBD making smart choices in the draft.

Edited by eball

Fitz clearly has "what it takes" to lead an NFL-caliber offense. After watching his 11 games this season, and the 6 or 7 last year, I'm ready to stick with the guy for the next 4-5 years.

That said, Buffalo's needs are at LB, DE, and continued strengthening of the OL. Re-sign Whitner and Fitz to 4 or 5 year deals.

Next season the offense gets Easley and Parrish back at WR, and perhaps Spiller becomes truly ready for primetime. The young guys on D have gotten a lot of playing time this year, and with a FA acquisition or two and decent draft the team could compete immediately for the playoffs.

And yes, I realize this whole plan is contingent upon the decision-makers at OBD making smart choices in the draft.

:thumbsup: I definitely can live with FITZ as our QB for next season and perhaps the following one. The clear need on the Bills is a defensive stud either at linebacker or DE who plays with fire and reckless abandon.

I was thinking about Easley too ... remember how many of us thought he was the steal of the draft with the potential of being rookie of the year well you add him to the receiving corps of Evans (yes, I still think he is worth having), Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, and Naaman ... what super weapons plus I agree Spiller will be better. Freddie Jackson hopefully will be recognized for the talent he is and our OL is actually becoming an asset (check out the blocks that Mr. Bell is making over at LT) with some of these mid-season pick-ups plus the free agent guys. So on offense we need a tight end since Nelson's migraines are going to cost him a career.

It is defense where that one special guy when added to Kyle Williams, Troup, Carrington, Moats, Poz (Moats makes him a better player), and our d-backfield will move this team up to the next level.

So, give me a FITZ ... oh wait, Jimmy Clausen would have turned us around just look at Carolina ... I don't want another headline grabbing college superstar when we have a QB with guts and smarts .... but we do need to find a QB to move up in a few years, might be Levi.

im just happy not to see you have the name Luck in here... someone who has never confirmed going into the draft, and was noted saying earlier, he will finish school.

but i also agree (except whitner)

Boy wouldn't it be a great idea to get some 'luck' and pick up a player who has not had a full college career and chooses to graduate early.

All those thinking that luck rather than experience and smarts will help the team just need to remember a certain team (to be left unnamed) that saw a phenom defensive end from a top end college program based in Pennsylvania and decided just 'MAYBE' this will be a steal so let's draft him with our #1 ... we will be such winners.

It's not about luck ... it's about putting a team together ... we are finally moving up.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ...

thanks for you opinion concerning our QB.

thank god Nix and Galiey all want a franchaise QB and not one who can win 6 or 7 games.

the bills will get their QB this year

If you don't take one in the first five rounds, why take one at all? We already drafted one of the clowns last year and wasted a pick. Until we get a franchise quarterback, and yes Fitz is exciting at times, frustrating at times, but he isn't a franchise quarterback, we won't be really in the mix for a championship.

If you don't take one in the first five rounds, why take one at all? We already drafted one of the clowns last year and wasted a pick. Until we get a franchise quarterback, and yes Fitz is exciting at times, frustrating at times, but he isn't a franchise quarterback, we won't be really in the mix for a championship.

I'm curious to what you consider a franchise quarterback. Would you say that Hasselback was a franchise qb for Seattle?

I'm curious to what you consider a franchise quarterback. Would you say that Hasselback was a franchise qb for Seattle?

There are different levels of franchise qbs. Wouldn't you prefer an upper tier Rivers or Rodgers type of franchise qb over a mid-level franchise qb such as Hasselback or Cassell?

Most people don't want to touch this issue.

Especially when you consider the Owner has already spoke publicly about it...I know that was before the ground-swell for Fitz, but with Ralph do we really know? Can you imagine the buzz that a Player like Cam Newton would bring to The Buffalo Bills Franchise?...Can you even put a dollar figure on it? B-)

Especially when you consider the Owner has already spoke publicly about it...I know that was before the ground-swell for Fitz, but with Ralph do we really know? Can you imagine the buzz that a Player like Cam Newton would bring to The Buffalo Bills Franchise?...Can you even put a dollar figure on it? B-)

What's wrong with having a BUZZ when the franchise is mostly noted for causing the NFL fanbase to sleep? Marketing is part of operating a franchise. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the development of the team is the priority. The NFL is a business, first and foremost.

Stay away from JaMarcus Newton!!!

Easy answer. Because the 6th and 7th round are Modrak's Wheelhouse in the draft. :devil:

(I do kid and know where Levi Brown was drafted.)

:thumbsup: I definitely can live with FITZ as our QB for next season and perhaps the following one. The clear need on the Bills is a defensive stud either at linebacker or DE who plays with fire and reckless abandon.

I was thinking about Easley too ... remember how many of us thought he was the steal of the draft with the potential of being rookie of the year well you add him to the receiving corps of Evans (yes, I still think he is worth having), Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, and Naaman ... what super weapons plus I agree Spiller will be better. Freddie Jackson hopefully will be recognized for the talent he is and our OL is actually becoming an asset (check out the blocks that Mr. Bell is making over at LT) with some of these mid-season pick-ups plus the free agent guys. So on offense we need a tight end since Nelson's migraines are going to cost him a career.

It is defense where that one special guy when added to Kyle Williams, Troup, Carrington, Moats, Poz (Moats makes him a better player), and our d-backfield will move this team up to the next level.

So, give me a FITZ ... oh wait, Jimmy Clausen would have turned us around just look at Carolina ... I don't want another headline grabbing college superstar when we have a QB with guts and smarts .... but we do need to find a QB to move up in a few years, might be Levi.

The same Levi they cut in favor of Brohm? We don't know about Brohm...never a chance to start. We don't know about Levi...same....but, we do know, that Chan shipped Levi out of town rather than cut Brohm. Weren't you following the same team this summer?

What's wrong with having a BUZZ when the franchise is mostly noted for causing the NFL fanbase to sleep? Marketing is part of operating a franchise. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the development of the team is the priority. The NFL is a business, first and foremost.

You answered your own question, right? A buzz for the sake of a buzz (signing T.O.) isn't developing a team.

Fitz is solid but he is no Tom Brady Peyton Manning or Joe Montana. We do need to draft a QB and this year there are several good ones to choose from. IF Luck isn't available then I say we get Mallett or Newton.

Don't worry. There are 3 or 4 future hall of famers in every draft.

PTR

I don't begrudge Mr. Wilson a good living. I also am appreciative of the fact that he is charitable, and that he has kept the franchise in NY.

That said, some of the Bills first round picks (the ones that sell season tickets) look more like marketing ploys than a valid attempt to build a football team. In his defense, maybe after trusting absolutely terrible football people such as Levy and Jauron, he figured that he couldn't do any worse.

I don't begrudge Mr. Wilson a good living. I also am appreciative of the fact that he is charitable, and that he has kept the franchise in NY.

That said, some of the Bills first round picks (the ones that sell season tickets) look more like marketing ploys than a valid attempt to build a football team. In his defense, maybe after trusting absolutely terrible football people such as Levy and Jauron, he figured that he couldn't do any worse.

When the owner is inept there shouldn't be much surprise when the organization is inept. The people who have made terrible football decisions are the same people he personally hired. He got what he got! The outcome was predictable.

I agree with everything but, that we are on player away on D. We are three away, we need a DE, ILB and OLB.

So will a competitive playoff team.

You are 100% correct, but you need a playoff caliber quarterback for that and I don't think we have that. I like Fitz and he is fun to watch (in the second half, he sucks in most first halves), but he isn't a playoff caliber quarterback.

You are so right, the Hall of Fame is full of absolutely terrible football people. Those of you that give Levy so much credit or blame for what happened while he was here are clueless. He was a face that Bills fans knew, that is why he was brought in here, Ralph wanted to save face with the people that buy his tickets. Levy didn't have much say in anything, and everyone that has a clue knows that.

You forgot that QBs sell tickets.

Call me crazy, naive, whatever...but I am giving Ralph the benefit of the doubt here, that he will allow Nix and Gailey to make the choices and not be swayed by the lure of a "PR" pick.

And FWIW, I don't think Nix/Gailey saw Spiller as a "flashy" pick -- I believe they didn't quite know what they had in Jackson yet, and truly feel that Spiller will be a big time playmaker in this league.