Down on Spiller? Look at McFadden.

Mr. T

There are some here who have already decided that Spiller has been a big disappointment, or even a bust. To you I say look at what Darren McFadden has become this year. Prior to this year he did almost nothing as the 4th overall pick a few years ago. This year he's tearing it up.

Freddy Jackson turns 30 this year and will be hitting the wall that ALL rbs hit eventually. He probably has 2 more good years in him. When he hits that wall Spiller should be more than ready to break through.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People constantly write off Fred Jackson.

You'll see.

To be fair Mr T didn't actually write off Fred Jackson completely, he did say he has 2 good years left.

And yes, I agree, it's too early to write off Spiller. The kid will be good. Some things just take time :)

Edited by Steve_JOHNSONS_hair

Giving up on any player before their 3rd year is flat out stupid.

Exactly...it's a huge jump from college to the pro game, and a lot of these players need to mature their game and refine their techniques through coaching. Our team this year alone has several solid examples of it...Stevie, Moats, and maybe the Nelsons are going to make a little more noise before the year is out. Our young'ns are sprouting wings right before our eyes...let's get a few more and water those mofos!

How about the people who have completely given up hope on Maybin? Seems like 90% of the board has.

Unfortunately, this is Maybins 2nd year and he looks like he doesn't belong on an NFL football field. I was one of the fans thinking if he picked up a few pounds and got into an OLB position in a 3-4 he would be average to possibly very good. But his physical attributes cannot do enough for how stupid and uneducated he is about the game. I just hope he can hit the books really hard this offseason. If he's here next year this time it will be because he studied hard. If he doesn't, he'll be cut.

Exactly...it's a huge jump from college to the pro game, and a lot of these players need to mature their game and refine their techniques through coaching. Our team this year alone has several solid examples of it...Stevie, Moats, and maybe the Nelsons are going to make a little more noise before the year is out. Our young'ns are sprouting wings right before our eyes...let's get a few more and water those mofos!

Shawn Nelson won't be doing anything on the field this year. IR

People constantly write off Fred Jackson.

You'll see.

To be fair Mr T didn't actually write off Fred Jackson completely, he did say he has 2 good years left.

And yes, I agree, it's too early to write off Spiller. The kid will be good. Some things just take time :)

I think Fred gets an extra year or two since he has not been as beaten up as most 30 yr old NFL RBs get.

PTR

Sometimes a running back isn't an impact player right away. People often think running backs can come in right away and be superstars as it happens a lot but sometimes it takes a year or two for a RB to see their full potential. Give Gailey an off-season to watch tape and see how he can get Spiller involved and hopefully Spiller will be used effectively.

Spiller also will be given some time to watch tape on himself and figure out what to do and what to improve on. Its far too early to give up on the guy.

Sometimes a running back isn't an impact player right away. People often think running backs can come in right away and be superstars as it happens a lot but sometimes it takes a year or two for a RB to see their full potential. Give Gailey an off-season to watch tape and see how he can get Spiller involved and hopefully Spiller will be used effectively.

Spiller also will be given some time to watch tape on himself and figure out what to do and what to improve on. Its far too early to give up on the guy.

True. Ryan Mathews isn't tearing it up in San Diego either. Like u say sometimes things take time. Spiller will be very good sooner than later.

I firmly believe the Spiller pick will be remembered for one of the best picks of the decade(I know, that's not saying much) but It's clear to me he can play, and has already flashed some serious talent. If we all remember, the knock on Thurman his first year was that he was small and underweight, but still managed to gain 881 yards his rookie year. If Spiller had been the featured back the entire year, we would have seen a modest output from him this year as well.

There are some here who have already decided that Spiller has been a big disappointment, or even a bust. To you I say look at what Darren McFadden has become this year. Prior to this year he did almost nothing as the 4th overall pick a few years ago. This year he's tearing it up.

Freddy Jackson turns 30 this year and will be hitting the wall that ALL rbs hit eventually. He probably has 2 more good years in him. When he hits that wall Spiller should be more than ready to break through.

First, there's a difference between trading down and getting a guy like Spiller at 20-30 (range for guys like Felix Jones and Chris Johnson) and taking him at 9 overall.

Secondly, for every Darren McFadden, there's 25-30 guys who suck their rookie year because their skills don't translate to the pros, they're injury-prone, or they have personal issues that prevent them from being good pros.

Basically, if they suck their rookie year, there's a greater than 50% chance they're not going to work out. By year 3, it's about 100% chance.

So, yes, Run DMc shows that it's not a foregone conclusion, but it's more likely than not that Spiller is not going to be worth a 9th overall pick at the very least.

First, there's a difference between trading down and getting a guy like Spiller at 20-30 (range for guys like Felix Jones and Chris Johnson) and taking him at 9 overall.

Secondly, for every Darren McFadden, there's 25-30 guys who suck their rookie year because their skills don't translate to the pros, they're injury-prone, or they have personal issues that prevent them from being good pros.

Basically, if they suck their rookie year, there's a greater than 50% chance they're not going to work out. By year 3, it's about 100% chance.

So, yes, Run DMc shows that it's not a foregone conclusion, but it's more likely than not that Spiller is not going to be worth a 9th overall pick at the very least.

You make some very valid points. I think what a lot of people are missing, though, is Spiller really hasn't been that bad. His YPC is right around league average, and he has shown more of a propensity to run inside as the Browns game showed. I'm not saying he'll ever justify the 9th overall pick but to say he has sucked seems a little unreasonable to me.

Spiller has in fact been a disappointment and a bust. He might become something better, and I hope he does. Until he's shown he's a good choice, he's not a good choice.