Obviously Bills Are Going Defense With First Pick

BuffaloBaumer

Chan clearly knows how to coach these Qbs and although Fitz is the starter next year, Chan will pick the future QB in 2 or 3. At this point, I don't even care which one he picks because Chan obviously knows the type of guy that works. This will be the first time in his career (I believe) where he can hand pick his student. I think this means nothing but good things as they load up the lines in FA and the draft this year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan clearly knows how to coach these Qbs and although Fitz is the starter next year, Chan will pick the future QB in 2 or 3. At this point, I don't even care which one he picks because Chan obviously knows the type of guy that works. This will be the first time in his career (I believe) where he can hand pick his student. I think this means nothing but good things as they load up the lines in FA and the draft this year.

I don't have much confidence in the Bills F.O. bringing in any quality O line people. They have just never been able to do it. And

look how bad the D line draft has been.

why waste a QB at any pick? If you draft a QB in rounds 2 and 3, odds are he isn't going to be a franchise guy. Might as well draft more defense and o-line in rounds 2 and 3.

Why does everyone knock the O-line so hard? Fitz hasn't been getting sacked all that much...a couple break downs a game. But I think the bigger issue is that we are hurt. We have played with an obscene number of different line ups on the O-line.

I think they are very happy with the O-line we have and if I had to guess it will not be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

Heres you guy

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2010/sep/26/wood26-ar-525499/

If you're assuming The Bills will not take a QB in the 1st Round, and you think that's a good thing, you may be setting yourself up for a HUGE disappointment...

If you're Gailey and you want to hand pick a student as you say, why in the word would you want to wait and choose from the Lockers and Ponders if you have a chance to Draft from the Newtons and Malletts?...If he wants a QB he's going to take the one he wants...And if he wants Cam Newton he's going to take him in the Top 5, or Trade down a bit...Same with Mallett...So nothing is obvious or guaranteed just yet...We'll see how it all plays out... B-)

I don't have much confidence in the Bills F.O. bringing in any quality O line people. They have just never been able to do it. And

look how bad the D line draft has been.

Never? What about Wood, Bell, Levitre, Hangman, and Urbik? Heck throw in Howard, who looks like a serviceable backup, and Wrotto, who may be the RT of the future.

If you're assuming The Bills will not take a QB in the 1st Round, and you think that's a good thing, you may be setting yourself up for a HUGE disappointment...

If you're Gailey and you want to hand pick a student as you say, why in the word would you want to wait and choose from the Lockers and Ponders if you have a chance to Draft from the Newtons and Malletts?...If he wants a QB he's going to take the one he wants...And if he wants Cam Newton he's going to take him in the Top 5, or Trade down a bit...Same with Mallett...So nothing is obvious or guaranteed just yet...We'll see how it all plays out... B-)

Please no Cam-arcus Newton.

why waste a QB at any pick? If you draft a QB in rounds 2 and 3, odds are he isn't going to be a franchise guy. Might as well draft more defense and o-line in rounds 2 and 3.

You are absolutely right. Second and third round quarterbacks are never any good.

Brett Farve

Kurt Warner

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Matt Schaub

Tony Romo

Some of these guys are pretty good.

wilson said he wants a qb in this draft .... i think we're gonna find out who he likes in an early round, probably the 1st.

You are absolutely right. Second and third round quarterbacks are never any good.

Brett Farve

Kurt Warner

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Matt Schaub

Tony Romo

Your point is well taken, but Brady was a 6th rounder, and I belive Romo was undrafted...

i do not believe the bills will select a QB past the first round. There are too many other holes, especially in the defense to take a chance on a position that we do not necessarily "need" to be successful. If the bills dont make a move for a QB in the first round we will not draft a qb. Since Luck wont be available, we should pursue Fairley, Bowers, or Quinn (in that order).

I think our interior is fine, but I'm not happy with our tackles (esp. RT). Bell is improving, but I'm not yet sold. I'd like to get one OT in the first three rounds, and a second in the later rounds.

I am not sold on Bell at all. He got beat on the play that resulted in the fumble. I think Chan has come up with an offense tailored to cover up the OL weakness. Bell is serviceable against average

DE's but struggles mightily against anyone with any talent. The thing is, if you are trying to get to the playoffs and win a championship, you are going to face some top notch DE's in critical games.

This is not a weakness that can be covered up for long. Our ability to advance in the post season would be seriously hampered if we have a LT that gets beat regularly when up against

top DE's.

Unfortunately, the defense is in such dire need of help that I don't know that they can afford to use early picks at LT or QB. I think there is a good chance they are going to go after defensive

players and hope that Bell will keep improving along with Wang and some other young guys on offense. Fitz is getting it done at QB, lord knows how but he is. I don't envy Chan on that one,

sticking with Fitz or drafting a QB high. I trust him to make that decision but there is a little voice whispering in my ear saying "...but Chan is the guy who decided that Trent was better than

Fitz...."

Brett Farve

Kurt Warner

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Matt Schaub

Tony Romo

VERY true...

Thing is if you had a re-Draft all of those guys would go high in the 1st Round...Brady, Montana and Favre would go #1 overall...So while it's true that great, Hall Of Fame QB's can be had outside the 1st Round, it's also true that the reason for that is crappy Scouting throughout the league...I often here "no one could have know this one or that one was going to be great." Well...Is it not their job to know?...Just saying... B-)

i do not believe the bills will select a QB past the first round. There are too many other holes, especially in the defense to take a chance on a position that we do not necessarily "need" to be successful. If the bills dont make a move for a QB in the first round we will not draft a qb. Since Luck wont be available, we should pursue Fairley, Bowers, or Quinn (in that order).

Your logic would apply to any position outside of QB...No offense but I really can't understand how Fans of the NFL don't get this...QB is never looked at in the same light as other positions...Unless QB is a clear and obvious strength on your Team there is always the potential that you will take a QB high if the right one is available and your FO loves the guy...How in the world has this fact gotten lost on NFL Fans?...I just don't get it? And yes there is most definitely a chance that the QB you Pick will be a bust...It's probably a higher chance than most other positions...It's classic risk vs reward stuff though...Most Teams will risk the high pick, assuming they do not have a Franchise-type in house, if they think the potential reward is a Franchise guy...I swear to Y'all it really is that simple...

So the only question you need to ask yourself is this...Do Nix and Gailey think Fitz is a Franchise QB? Cause that is the only question that matters in this discussion...If the answer is yes they will more than likely go Defense in the 1st Round...If the answer is no, and they really like a QB that is available when they Pick, they WILL take that QB...Period...End of story...It wont matter if we have zero LB's and DE's on the roster at the time...They will take that QB... B-)

VERY true...

Thing is if you had a re-Draft all of those guys would go high in the 1st Round...Brady, Montana and Favre would go #1 overall...So while it's true that great, Hall Of Fame QB's can be had outside the 1st Round, it's also true that the reason for that is crappy Scouting throughout the league...I often here "no one could have know this one or that one was going to be great." Well...Is it not their job to know?...Just saying... B-)

My opinion only, but the challenge to scouting QBs is that most of the guys that look good in college

are playing on great teams (because they were top recruits to begin with). Their OL is superior, their WRs

are open by 5 yards instead of the few inches separation that Pro receivers often get, the run

game that supports them is usually very good.

Because of the above, you often can't get a good feel for how they read defenses, how quickly they can

make decisions and go through their progressions. You can't tell if they have the mental game, etc.

Your point is well taken, but Brady was a 6th rounder, and I belive Romo was undrafted...

Also, Kurt Warner was un-drafted. I think its hard to expect enough from a later round pick. Its a big leap to think that one can be developed and be a franchise star.

Here is the top 31 QBs currently on ESPN stats for 2010 in order of stats. 16 of the 31 came in Round 1.

R1 - 16, Vick(x), Rivers(x), Rodgers(x), Roethlisberger(x), Flacco(x), PManning(x), Ryan(x), EManning, Cutler, Freeman, Campbell, Smith, Bradford, Palmer, McNabb, Sanchez

R2 - 4, Brees(x), Henne, Favre, Clausen

R3 - 0

R4 - 3, Garrard, Schaub, Orton

R5 - 0

R6 - 3, Brady(x), Hasselbeck, Anderson

R7 - 2, Cassel, Fitzpatrick

UD - 3, Romo, Kitna, Hill

I 'X'ed all QBs who could be considered Franchise QBs right now. Lets make this the test... would you trade our first round pick for this guy straight up? Favre, Mcnabb too old, EManning, Cutler haven't proven it consistently and Freeman, Bradford, Sanchez haven't done enough yet.

So that leaves 9 Franchise QBs, with 7 of them drafted in the first round. Brees was projected first round and was the first pick of the 2nd round when he dropped. Brady is the luckiest pick of all time.