Eric Wood at center

Pirate Angel

just thought Id add that Eric Wood had a tremendous day at center, I caught as much as I could of him. No muffed snaps very smooth, and stoned a very good Shaun Rogers at the line of scrimmage numerous time today. IMO If his move is permanent we will have one of the top 3 centers in the league next year.

That's exactly why the Bills drafted him...

After redshirting his initial year at Louisville, Wood started all 12 games at center for the Cardinals in 2005...Wood remained Louisville's starting center in his sophomore and junior seasons, starting all 13 and 12 games, respectively. Led by quarterback Brian Brohm, the 2007 Cardinals offense ranked sixth nationally with an average of 488.0 yards per game. Wood earned All-Big East honors in both years, and again in his senior season. He finished his career with 49 consecutive starts at center, the second-longest streak in school history behind Travis Leffew (51, 2002-05). Alongside Alex Mack, Wood was considered one of the best centers available in the 2009 NFL Draft. He has been compared to Brad Meester by The Sporting News, but his instincts and "nastiness" on the field had scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Kudos to the Bills front office for the trade, and for using the draft pick well.

No sure how Hang would do at RT but putting him in at guard when he comes back might not be a bad idea. Urbik I think is the starter at RG next year.

Hangman and Urbik will compete at RG. I wouldn't give it to Urbik just yet. And may the better man win.

I have this dream that we sign Logan Mankins in the offseason. I don't believe he's inked a long term deal with the Pats and would probably love to play those guys twice a year. With Urbik and Hangman as our backups we'd have one of the toughest and deepest interior lines in the league.

Definitely agree.

The Bills really did well running up the middle today, and Wood looked very good manning the Center position.

If Wood keeps it up(pun intended) for the remaining three games, I'll bet we will see a Levitre-Wood-Urbik interior line, with Hangartner backing up all three positions.

+100, then we can draft Anthony Costonzo in the first for LT and Matt Reynolds RT in the third and we will have the best line in the NFL.

Wood was great. He will be the starting center next year. I was in favor of shutting him down for the rest of the season to let his leg heal for next season. But with Hangman going down I think these next three games against division foes playing at the center position will be good for him - assuming Wilfork doesn't cheap shot him.

Hangman and Urbik will compete at RG. I wouldn't give it to Urbik just yet. And may the better man win.

I don't think Hangman is big enough to play guard.

I actually was thinking about the idea of moving Wood to Center and Handy to guard (A position he played at times in Carolina). If we go out and draft a RT in round 2 he is going to need an experienced player next to him.

So this would be the composition of the line next year

Lt- Bell (Only going to improve as he gets more playing time and is further removed from injury)

LG- Levitre (Already a solid guard only stands to improve with more consistency around him)

C- Wood (Played the position in college and today showed he can do it also will get better removed from injury)

RG- Handy (A solid veteran player that can help Wood adjust to center and teach a young RT)

RT- Rookie (We need another tackle as tackle play is essential for a good O-line and having a vet like Handy next to him helps)

If the team could acquire a vet or two as well as a mid round choice for depth the O-line could improve by leaps and bounds next year.

Wood was great. He will be the starting center next year. I was in favor of shutting him down for the rest of the season to let his leg heal for next season. But with Hangman going down I think these next three games against division foes playing at the center position will be good for him - assuming Wilfork doesn't cheap shot him.

I don't think Hangman is big enough to play guard.

Hangman played guard for Carolina at times when they had a pretty potent rushing attack. As I said in a previous post Hangman as a one year transitional player could help a rookie RT and let Urbik be a depth player until he is ready to step up and play full time.

Ive seen a few Cleveland games this year and big Shaun Rogers was unblockable. He seemed pretty much invisible today. If Rogers wasn't playing injured or sick, then our OL is better than I give them credit for. We ran it right down their throats even on plays when they had up to 9 in the box and they knew it was coming.

ON Tv today they said rodgers was 350 lbs my ass he is 400 + all day and twice on Sunday !

BTW, it looked to me like the Bills offensive line splits were considerably narrower than usual. And I've seen uncountable televised games from the Ralph so I don't think it has anything to do with the camera locations. Did anyone else notice this?

It looked to me like the linemen were closer together as well......

Hey, thanks for posting this.

Due to my location, I couldn't watch any of the game, but was very curious to see how Wood did

Just an FYI, location does not need to stop you from watching the game. You can do what I do: if you are friends with anyone in the US who uses DirectTV and has NFL sunday ticket, for a small fee you can use their directTV registered e-mail address and a seperate password and register their sunday ticket for online viewing and watch the game streaming live online. I think its $50USD per season for all the games and stats, etc. or you can hook up the same deal via slingbox and someone else's direct TV account.

I live and work in Hong Kong but I haven't missed a game this season... its been tough considering the 2am kickoffs in HK of all the 1pm EST games... which is the only timeslot we play this year.

I'm a chef out here and was up at 5am to get to work on prep for a large party this past sunday afternoon... went out and had a few drinks after work (my tailgating), came back at 1:30am to catch some of the pregame show... game ended at 5am. I work 6 days a week, off on mondays. all this to watch a 2 win team...3 wins now.

Bills for life, baby.

Just an FYI, location does not need to stop you from watching the game. You can do what I do: if you are friends with anyone in the US who uses DirectTV and has NFL sunday ticket, for a small fee you can use their directTV registered e-mail address and a seperate password and register their sunday ticket for online viewing and watch the game streaming live online. I think its $50USD per season for all the games and stats, etc. or you can hook up the same deal via slingbox and someone else's direct TV account.

I live and work in Hong Kong but I haven't missed a game this season... its been tough considering the 2am kickoffs in HK of all the 1pm EST games... which is the only timeslot we play this year.

I'm a chef out here and was up at 5am to get to work on prep for a large party this past sunday afternoon... went out and had a few drinks after work (my tailgating), came back at 1:30am to catch some of the pregame show... game ended at 5am. I work 6 days a week, off on mondays. all this to watch a 2 win team...3 wins now.

Bills for life, baby.

I live in Bangkok and watching this years games at 1am, before the time change it was 12am. It has been much better than last year because of all the 4pm starts (which were 4am here). To be honest I don't have any friends with DTV and I catch the games by other means. I would pay, especially if they would offer some sort of rewind of games here. The NFL really needs to rethink marketing in Asia (actually I think they need to think about black outs some more and the whole over abundance of commercials, even NFL.com has them during the highlights) and some other ways that they might make money. They are just in it for the money and not the love of the game like us dedicated fans and it is just too bad.

It takes real commitment to be a fan from over here, congrats!!

just thought Id add that Eric Wood had a tremendous day at center, I caught as much as I could of him. No muffed snaps very smooth, and stoned a very good Shaun Rogers at the line of scrimmage numerous time today. IMO If his move is permanent we will have one of the top 3 centers in the league next year.

Eric Wood is the best center on the team period!! His being moved to guard reminded me of Jim Ritcher.. Ritcher won the outland trophy in college as a center and was moved to guard by the Bills.. He was still a really good player but not his natural position.. I hope the Bills will keep him at center and use Geoff Hangartner as a back-up..