Cassel had appendectomy 12/8

Albany,n.y.

They have changed quite a bit. I had mine out in '88 while in college. I had surgery on a Thursday night, was out of the hospital on Saturday AM (could have left on Friday night if I pushed it, but I had a cute nurse), and was back in class on Tuesday.

Now they do it laparoscopically, and it is much less invasive than in '88. I'm a little surprised he could play on Sunday, but given how minimal the laparocopic procedures are these days, I believe it.

Unless procedures have radically changed in the 28 years since I had my appendix removed, how can Cassel play on Sunday?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/12/08/chiefs-qb-cassel-undergoes-appendectomy

They have changed quite a bit. I had mine out in '88 while in college. I had surgery on a Thursday night, was out of the hospital on Saturday AM (could have left on Friday night if I pushed it, but I had a cute nurse), and was back in class on Tuesday.

Now they do it laparoscopically, and it is much less invasive than in '88. I'm a little surprised he could play on Sunday, but given how minimal the laparocopic procedures are these days, I believe it.

Leaving the hospital and being ready to take the physical punishment of QBing a football game are two different things.

No matter how it's done, he's still going to have an unhealed surgical incision in his innards where the appendix was snipped out.

Take a hard blow to the abdomen, pop those sutures, and he's going to have guts all right -- guts leaking into his tum-tum and major peritonitis.

Then there's the (small, granted) surgical incisions that let the camera in. If those don't heal properly, can result in a ventral hernia; can also have nasty complications from post-surgical infection if not kept properly clean. I'm not sure an NFL football game is compatible with "properly clean"

It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

I can see Cassel feeling well enough to play.

I can't see it being a good idea.

GOLD!!!!!!!: (could have left on Friday night if I pushed it, but I had a cute nurse)

Leaving the hospital and being ready to take the physical punishment of QBing a football game are two different things.

No matter how it's done, he's still going to have an unhealed surgical incision in his innards where the appendix was snipped out.

Take a hard blow to the abdomen, pop those sutures, and he's going to have guts all right -- guts leaking into his tum-tum and major peritonitis.

Then there's the (small, granted) surgical incisions that let the camera in. If those don't heal properly, can result in a ventral hernia; can also have nasty complications from post-surgical infection if not kept properly clean. I'm not sure an NFL football game is compatible with "properly clean"

It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

I can see Cassel feeling well enough to play.

I can't see it being a good idea.

I agree. This is one ''lower body'' injury that needs to be taken seriously.

Unless procedures have radically changed in the 28 years since I had my appendix removed, how can Cassel play on Sunday?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/12/08/chiefs-qb-cassel-undergoes-appendectomy

Big Ben had one in 2006. He couldn't play four days later though he did play 11 days later.

Robert Gallery had one last year. He missed two weeks of training camp.

I was wondering about this when I heard it.......I remember Jim McMillan of the Braves having one and missing something like 6 weeks, so I was wondering myself if things have advanced that much in 35 years. Apparently, they have!