Answer Me This Bills Fans !!

T master

I was just on ESPN watching a clip on how they let there head coach go & next year they will be paying 3 head coaches salaries that no longer work for them . That also brought to mind the bungle that our illustrious owner pulled by signing DJ to a 3 year extension of which the Bills are still paying while he is currently employed by another team ??

I don't get it !! In the real world when you are TERMINATED from a position - you no longer receive payment from the said employer -- YOU SCREWED UP --- YOU WERE FIRED -- TERMINATED !!!

Another thing when a team releases a player before the end of a contract (unless like Veke it was injury related) they don't pay out the contract (or do they ?) this whole deal has got me thinking i need to get some kind of job with the NFL if they fire you & still pay you that's a sweet deal !!!

What i am asking is how & why are these coaches that get fired still able to collect on these million dollar contracts when they are just that FIRED ?? I might be able to see it if they were unemployed but they go to work for other clubs and still get paid by there previous employer i don't get it !!!!! :blink:

They should be made to give it to a local charity at least dang money mongers !!!!!

If the contract gives guaranteed money over a certain time period then said person gets that money no matter what over that time period... It happens in the real world also. It's business. It happens all the time. What the Bills should of included is a non compete claus. That would say something like if you quit or get fired you can't get another job with a competitor for a certain time period and if you do we no longer owe you that money

Another thing when a team releases a player before the end of a contract (unless like Veke it was injury related) they don't pay out the contract (or do they ?) this whole deal has got me thinking i need to get some kind of job with the NFL if they fire you & still pay you that's a sweet deal !!!

If you had a job in the NFL or for an NFL team you would be fired and thrown out on the street. This happened to all of the FO personnel that they teams let go recently because of the economic downturn. Thousands of workers were fired across the league to squeeze out a few more dollars. Those that were fired got minimal severance packages. But some useless slug like Randy Moss can turn in sub par after sub par performance, or Albert H can whine and cry and not try, or Lee Evans does not produce but these guys always get paid. Coaches need guaranteed contracts, IMO, or they would be hired and fired at a more alarming rate than they are.

I have read some incredible contracts in business a 50 pager with 7 addendums is a recent example. There are all kinds of terms and conditions spelled out. To ensure th terms are precise what is compliant and non-compliant is typically defined. Think of the contract to buy your home and all the terms and conditions of the sale, and that is on a specific transaction not ongoing installments with performance implications to boot.

I can only image the complexity in one of these NFL contracts where an individual (player or coach) is compensated with vast sums of money.

As far as a coach, the terms define what things would actually lead to a breach of contract and it seems that most NFL coaches are contractually obligated to deliver a certain record or other performance metric.

I have read some incredible contracts in business a 50 pager with 7 addendums is a recent example. There are all kinds of terms and conditions spelled out. To ensure th terms are precise what is compliant and non-compliant is typically defined. Think of the contract to buy your home and all the terms and conditions of the sale, and that is on a specific transaction not ongoing installments with performance implications to boot.

I can only image the complexity in one of these NFL contracts where an individual (player or coach) is compensated with vast sums of money.

As far as a coach, the terms define what things would actually lead to a breach of contract and it seems that most NFL coaches are contractually obligated to deliver a certain record or other performance metric.

You had a great post going until the last line which is idiotic.

No contract says "7-9 or you are history". When a head coach signs say a five year deal at a million per, all he knows for sure is that he will receive 5 million, even if they fire him after one year.(Unless of course he breached a clause such as morality or embarassing the club off the field) The reason for this is that these men have reached the pinnacle of their profession and put in about 70 hrs a week during the season and have crappy job security.

Coaching contracts are guaranteed. Player contracts aren't, which is why players wrangle for huge signing bonuses and "guaranteed" money.

I'm all for guaranteeing player contracts in the next CBA. This will punish idiot teams like the redskins.

You had a great post going until the last line which is idiotic.

No contract says "7-9 or you are history". When a head coach signs say a five year deal at a million per, all he knows for sure is that he will receive 5 million, even if they fire him after one year.(Unless of course he breached a clause such as morality or embarassing the club off the field) The reason for this is that these men have reached the pinnacle of their profession and put in about 70 hrs a week during the season and have crappy job security.

:thumbdown:

HIs last line isn't idiotic.

Yours probably isn't idiotic either, just rude. I wouldn't sign a guaranteed-number-of-wins contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if such things have happened. I doubt they're the norm, but since they're generally not public, it would take a lawyer with contract history specific to the nfl to talk with as much certainty as you're tossing around.

I don't get it !! In the real world when you are TERMINATED from a position - you no longer receive payment from the said employer -- YOU SCREWED UP --- YOU WERE FIRED -- TERMINATED !!!

Very true of typical employer/employee relationships.

When you get into management in the "real world" with considerably bigger salaries/responsibilities the employee is under contract to the employer with the terms of the contract negotiable. One of the terms frequently is buyout or termination or "golden parachute" where if the employee gets the boot for whatever reason, (s)he still gets some or all of the money left for the remainder of the contract. A sweet deal really if you are the employee. If you are the employer, not so much.

I was just on ESPN watching a clip on how they let there head coach go & next year they will be paying 3 head coaches salaries that no longer work for them . That also brought to mind the bungle that our illustrious owner pulled by signing DJ to a 3 year extension of which the Bills are still paying while he is currently employed by another team ??

What i am asking is how & why are these coaches that get fired still able to collect on these million dollar contracts when they are just that FIRED ?? I might be able to see it if they were unemployed but they go to work for other clubs and still get paid by there previous employer i don't get it !!!!! :blink:

They should be made to give it to a local charity at least dang money mongers !!!!!

One of MANY huge blunders made by this organization. Who really cares though...Ralph certainly has enough money to go around. I think we are about 25 million under the salary cap this season.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Who really cares though...Ralph certainly has enough money to go around. I think we are about 25 million under the salary cap this season.

---------–

There is no cap this year and it will remain that way until the new CBA is completed. Not that it matters since it is Ralphs money and the more he spends the better.

Why are you in such a tiff over this?

Ever hear of CEO's getting the Golden Umbrella deals?

It's a clause in a high-ranking executive's hiring contract describing a lucrative severance package once the executive leaves the company. The package often includes cash and stock options worth millions of dollars, as well equity in the company.

They get this EVEN WHEN THEY FAIL!!

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about, do you? Have you ever worked under contract?