Bills/Browns game viewed as so bad by CBS

Albany,n.y.

I'm going to the game, so for me it doesn't matter, but how bad is the Browns @ Bills game being thought of by the CBS network guys & the local Albany station that Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati is being shown here in Albany? I can't imagine why anyone in programming would choose showing any game the Bengals are involved in over the Bills in Albany.

Originally they were planning on showing NE @ Chicago but the NFL moved the game to 4:15 so now Albany gets screwed twice because instead of showing the NE game, Albany now gets Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati at 1 & the Miami @ Jets at 4:15.

The good news is it's not too late for everyone in Albany to buy tickets & watch the Bills try to avenge last season's 6-3 loss.

I'm going to the game, so for me it doesn't matter, but how bad is the Browns @ Bills game being thought of by the CBS network guys & the local Albany station that Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati is being shown here in Albany? I can't imagine why anyone in programming would choose showing any game the Bengals are involved in over the Bills in Albany.

Originally they were planning on showing NE @ Chicago but the NFL moved the game to 4:15 so now Albany gets screwed twice because instead of showing the NE game, Albany now gets Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati at 1 & the Miami @ Jets at 4:15.

The good news is it's not too late for everyone in Albany to buy tickets & watch the Bills try to avenge last season's 6-3 loss.

Bills/Browns,the TV ratings for that one have to be skimming the all time bottom unless you live in Utica or Akron. Got news for you, east of Syracuse, they are mostly Jets fans.

Bills/Browns,the TV ratings for that one have to be skimming the all time bottom unless you live in Utica or Akron. Got news for you, east of Syracuse, they are mostly Jets fans.

Yeah I am in Albany too. Big time Jets and Giants area. Still, you would think a New York based team would get aired around here over Pitt. Then again you have to take into consideration that the Jets losing on MNF puts them in a Wild Card spot had the season ended today. So I guess it makes sense to play the games of teams in other divisions that are leading their division or wild card race. <_<

That's not really big news. Usually this time of year, local affiliates would rather show ANY playoff caliber team than two clubs that are jockeying for draft position. Unless the stations are in NE Ohio or WNY, they have no obligation to show the Bills and Albany is way out of the Bills footprint imo.

Edited by zow2

im a little surprised since i thought albany was as big on the bills as they are on the jests and giants, but i can see why the interest in the bills is down compared to those teams

and i was at that browns game last year - worst. game. in. the. history. of. sports. history. you. can. tell. by. all. the. periods. period.

I lived in Central NY for several years and when the Bills are down, even Syracuse TV showed the Jets all the time. If Syracuse toggles back and forth on showing the Bills, I imagine Albany is much closer to being Jets/Giants territory than Buffalo.

The Bills have a radio station here & have been shown on tv 7 or 8 times out of the 12 games they've played. That's why Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati doesn't make a lot of sense. I could have understood New England @ Chicago over the Bills, but showing Pittsburgh kick Cincinnati's @ss is ridiculous. As recently as last year or 2008 the Bills weren't being shown one week when the Jets weren't on & there was such a protest that they changed their schedule & showed the Bills. I guess those of us who still want to see the game are either attending it or just resigned to it not being on home TV. Or, after watching last year's Browns/Bills game, nobody wants to watch anything involving those 2 teams ever again.

I am guessing it has more to do with the Steelers, than the Bengals. I live in Austin, TX. The Cowboys and Texans are on every week...the third game shown in the afternoon, is almost always the Steelers...they are a national team...like it or not...

im a little surprised since i thought albany was as big on the bills as they are on the jests and giants, but i can see why the interest in the bills is down compared to those teams

and i was at that browns game last year - worst. game. in. the. history. of. sports. history. you. can. tell. by. all. the. periods. period.

Yeah I was there as well, painfull game. Didnt some guy try to run some cops over as well?

Looks like another blackout so only Cleveland will see the game...oh, and Fort Smith, AR for some reason.

PTR

Peyton Hillis is from Conway, Ark and played at Arkansas. That's the only link of interest i can think between AR and this game? I don't know how often the networks carve up the nation to include specific player interest when they come up with these broadcast maps.

Peyton Hillis is from Conway, Ark and played at Arkansas. That's the only link of interest i can think between AR and this game? I don't know how often the networks carve up the nation to include specific player interest when they come up with these broadcast maps.

He must have relatives working at the station in control of programming.

Didn't Albany recently turn their market in the jests and giants direction? Geographically it makes sense a it's a 2 hour drive.

It has always been the Giants' market. Since the Giants started training in Albany, Albany also gets all preseason Giants games on local TV. Here's the story on the Jets. 2 years ago CBS channel 6 chose to take the Jets as their primary team. This included showing Jets exhibition games, which before that weren't shown around here. This past preseason, the Jets games weren't shown like 2009, I don't know why. A few years ago when CBS 1st got the AFC from NBC they were doing the same thing our local NBC station was doing & having us vote for the Bills or Jets. We won a good percentage of the time because we had a better organized voting bloc than the Jets did. When the Jets got good & the Bills continued to miss the playoffs, CBS Albany went Jets 1st. Back in the NBC days when we were Super Bowl contenders every year, we won a lot of those voting contests. It also didn't hurt that one of the guys who was making the programming decisions at NBC's channel 13 was originally from Buffalo & was a Fredonia grad.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

...Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati is being shown here in Albany?

Seriously, are you a Bills fan first and then a Giants or Jets fan a close second? Or are you a Giants or Jets fan first and a Bills fan a CLOSE second?

The area of NYS that I would consider Bills territory - Binghamton-

Elmira, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo is presently covered in snow.

Albany has no snow. None!

That blanket of snow over CNY and WNY and not ENY is the Buffalo Bills blanket of snow.

Seriously, are you a Bills fan first and then a Giants or Jets fan a close second? Or are you a Giants or Jets fan first and a Bills fan a CLOSE second?

The area of NYS that I would consider Bills territory - Binghamton-

Elmira, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo is presently covered in snow.

Albany has no snow. None!

That blanket of snow over CNY and WNY and not ENY is the Buffalo Bills blanket of snow.

I have season tickets to the Bills & go to every game. In fact I had a streak from mid 1990-mid 2007 where I never a regular season home game, playoff home game or any of the 4 Super Bowls. I'm not any type of Giants or Jets fan. I'm not originally from Albany, I'm from LI & went to college at Fredonia & lived in WNY a few years after I graduated.

There's snow on the grass in my yard right now-we got an inch in Delmar yesterday.

It has always been the Giants' market. Since the Giants started training in Albany, Albany also gets all preseason Giants games on local TV. Here's the story on the Jets. 2 years ago CBS channel 6 chose to take the Jets as their primary team. This included showing Jets exhibition games, which before that weren't shown around here. This past preseason, the Jets games weren't shown like 2009, I don't know why. A few years ago when CBS 1st got the AFC from NBC they were doing the same thing our local NBC station was doing & having us vote for the Bills or Jets. We won a good percentage of the time because we had a better organized voting bloc than the Jets did. When the Jets got good & the Bills continued to miss the playoffs, CBS Albany went Jets 1st. Back in the NBC days when we were Super Bowl contenders every year, we won a lot of those voting contests. It also didn't hurt that one of the guys who was making the programming decisions at NBC's channel 13 was originally from Buffalo & was a Fredonia grad.

Got it!

They like the Jets & Giants in Albany. But, NYC is 1/2 the distance from Albany that Buffalo is. So it makes sense.

Why the continual new posts about this subject?

Got it!

They like the Jets & Giants in Albany. But, NYC is 1/2 the distance from Albany that Buffalo is. So it makes sense.

Because the people who live here don't always check the TV listings and may want the information. Not everyone on this board lives in Rochester.

Got it!

lot of bills fans in albany from the 1990's glory days...you would be suprised

Because the people who live here don't always check the TV listings and may want the information. Not everyone on this board lives in Rochester.

That, and typically if the Jets and Giants games aren't available when the Bills game is, WRGB (Albany CBS) carries the Bills. It is quite shocking that they are not carrying the Bills this weekend.

This game is going to be so bad that on CBS they are running a triple crawl at the bottom of your tv.bottom one scores of other NFL games,2nd is fantasy football. The 3rd will be all the closing schools and bingo games since we have lots of snow.

This is funny...as early as Tuesday, the 506 maps had the Albany area getting this game. I agree with Albany - you might as well have a NY team on in this area instead of watching broken nose Ben smack the Bengals around. Besides, if CBS6 showed the Bills & Vikings last week (two teams having bad years), then why NOT show the Bills-Browns?

That, and typically if the Jets and Giants games aren't available when the Bills game is, WRGB (Albany CBS) carries the Bills. It is quite shocking that they are not carrying the Bills this weekend.

That's been the rule - I don't know if it's set in stone, but if the Jets or Giants aren't on, the Bills are. I know the Bills are 2-10, but it's more than shocking.

I'd write to CBS6, but I don't know if it's worth the time & effort. The programming director there wanted to show Colts-Vikings over Bills-Jaguars a couple of years ago (in September, no less). He was convinced to change it, but gave everyone an attitude about it.

Yeah, I'm sure the Thruway is gonna be packed with folks anxious to make that trek...

_$15.00 round trip thruway fare

_$95.00 round trip fuel price

_$100.00 scalped price for 4 tickets

_$20.00 parking fee.

_$160.00 food & beverages enroute, before, after game.

_$120.00 Hotel fees

_Witnessing Peyton Hillis be the first human to rush for 325 yards in an NFL game... PRICELESS

_Witnessing the look on your face when you realize you could have bought a new laptop with the money you just pissed away... PRICELESS

Yeah, I'm sure the Thruway is gonna be packed with folks anxious to make that trek...

_$15.00 round trip thruway fare

_$95.00 round trip fuel price

_$100.00 scalped price for 4 tickets

_$20.00 parking fee.

_$160.00 food & beverages enroute, before, after game.

_$120.00 Hotel fees

_Witnessing Peyton Hillis be the first human to rush for 325 yards in an NFL game... PRICELESS

_Witnessing the look on your face when you realize you could have bought a new laptop with the money you just pissed away... PRICELESS

The Thruway is $25.70 or $24.42 with EZ Pass for the round trip from Exit 23 to the Depew toll booths.

Gas is in the mid $80s or less depending on MPG

Save $10 on parking by walking half a mile.

Don't eat as much.

Don't stay overnight

Bet correctly & you can afford a laptop and pay for the rest of your Christmas presents.

If you went to last year's game, have bragging rights for life that you were at the 2 worst games ever played in the NFL-PRICELESS!

The Thruway is $25.70 or $24.42 with EZ Pass for the round trip from Exit 23 to the Depew toll booths.

Gas is in the mid $80s or less depending on MPG

Save $10 on parking by walking half a mile.

Don't eat as much.

Don't stay overnight

Bet correctly & you can afford a laptop and pay for the rest of your Christmas presents.

If you went to last year's game, have bragging rights for life that you were at the 2 worst games ever played in the NFL-PRICELESS!

Well, a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to make the drive out there in case someone he knew was going to hand over his tickets. The tickets would be free, but I wouldn't be too thrilled about driving out that morning and back that night.

Then there's the weather...

Not so fast, Promo - we got 'til 1 PM today to sell out!

I just checked on ticketmaster and had no trouble getting multiple blocks of 8 tickets anywhere in the stadium.

Of course this could mean there are 1000 tickets left and TV will buy them up, but I'm thinking it will be internet hookup to the TV again this week.

Quite a few Bills fans in the Albany area. They're just not as vocal as the loud and obnoxious jets and giants fans. Used to work out there and was surprised how many closet bills fans I met.

Albany Bills fans not vocal, loud and obnoxious? I'm going to suggest McGeary's Pub on Sunday.

Can you blame them? The last time these two teams played it might have been one of the worst games in the history of the NFL. Derek Anderson was 2 of 17 passing and was the winning quarterback? I don't think they are showing the game in Albany because the Bengals are playing, it is because the Steelers are playing, a team which has one of if not the biggest bandwagon fanbase in the league. We might be Bills fans on here and the games are important to us, but as much as we want it to, the league doesn't revolve around the Buffalo Bills, in fact they more than likely would prefer that we didn't exist based on the product on the field for over a decade.

Can you blame them? The last time these two teams played it might have been one of the worst games in the history of the NFL. Derek Anderson was 2 of 17 passing and was the winning quarterback? I don't think they are showing the game in Albany because the Bengals are playing, it is because the Steelers are playing, a team which has one of if not the biggest bandwagon fanbase in the league. We might be Bills fans on here and the games are important to us, but as much as we want it to, the league doesn't revolve around the Buffalo Bills, in fact they more than likely would prefer that we didn't exist based on the product on the field for over a decade.

True Story:

A friend of mine, and his father, were at the NFL Hall Of Fame, the day that last game was played...they were showing the game on the monitors. When it was over, my friend (not a Bills fan, but a Bears fan!) said that an announcement came over the PA, saying something to the effect "Ladies and Gentlemen, if you were watching the game between the Buffalo Bills and the Cleveland Browns, you may have just witnessed the worst football game in NFL history"...there were lots of chuckles...

I am also a season ticket holder and drive from Albany for about 6 games per year. I have been doing since 1985 making every game before kids in 2000. I remember a game in 1986 also in early December with bad weather against Cleveland and the Bills lost. Early days of Kelly and he threw a long TD to Burkett early in the 3rd qtr that made the game close. I am pretty sure I remember shoveling a lot of snow off my seat for that game.

As for now, Albany still has a lot of Bills fans a solid Bills Backer group, but just not as visible with the losing. The TV coverage has been an issue since the mid 90's that is why when I had my house built I went with DirecTV and use the package when I am home. Also allows my wife to watch the game when she stays home.

I am also a season ticket holder and drive from Albany for about 6 games per year. I have been doing since 1985 making every game before kids in 2000. I remember a game in 1986 also in early December with bad weather against Cleveland and the Bills lost. Early days of Kelly and he threw a long TD to Burkett early in the 3rd qtr that made the game close. I am pretty sure I remember shoveling a lot of snow off my seat for that game.As for now, Albany still has a lot of Bills fans a solid Bills Backer group, but just not as visible with the losing. The TV coverage has been an issue since the mid 90's that is why when I had my house built I went with DirecTV and use the package when I am home. Also allows my wife to watch the game when she stays home.

Wow...I was at that game, and I remember it well...I went with a girl I worked with, at Tops. She had never been to a Bills game...she was miserable...the only time, in all my years, that I left a game early, because I thought she was going to freak out...I remember it being extremely, windy and rainy...and of course bitter cold...perfect football weather!

Edited by Buftex