Buddy Nix Has Some Work To Do

BillsPhan

#1) Fire Tom Modrak. Today.

#2) Fire George Edwards if Gaily won't - at season's end, and bring in a new DC who has at the very least DC'd at the major college level. (Keeping the same HC but bringing in TWO Coordinators has certainly seemed to "improve" the Chiefs this season!)

#3) Make sure he and Doug Whaley, the "whiz kid from the Steelers" are ready on March 1st to sign some productive free agents.

#4) Draft a QB with his #1 pick, even if it's Mallet,Locker or Newton, I don't care which one. Nothing happens in almost all major NFL rebuilding projects until the QB is in place. This past April All the naysayers said "don't draft a QB this year at #9, none of them are worth it....wait until next year's draft." Now, it seems those same naysayers are saying Luck is the only one worth drafting in the top 5 where the Bills will of course end up. B.S I say! Hey, the naysayers may have been 100% right in not wanting the Bills to waste their first round pick on Clausen, McCoy or Tebow. So what the hell has these other three great QB's done (Mallet, Locker and Newton) this past season to make the naysayers decide they aren't worth it either?? Locker had some injury issues, but he still looks pretty damn good to me. The other two had outstanding seasons. I do not believe that Andrew Luck is the only top 5 worthy QB in the draft, and I hope Buddy feels the same way.

#5) After the QB is drafted (I hope) number one, Nix must then start drafting players from bigger colleges who are more prepared for the "speed of the NFL." Troup and Carrington wasted too much time in the rookie learning curve this past season, and I believe rookies drafted in rounds two and three should be more prepared to contribute right out of the gate then those two guys were!

I like one through three.

I don't think the Bills need to draft a QB. Offensive or defensive line should be the first pick.

I don't think players need to be ready to contribute from day one. If there is talent that can be molded and you can get them at a "discount" because they come from a small school, why not? This team isn't going to contend next year, so build for the future and hope some of these guys like Troup and Carrington can be a part of the defense's rebuilding.

Edited by Dr. Fong

#2) Fire George Edwards if Gaily won't - at season's end, and bring in a new DC who has at the very least DC'd at the major college level. (Keeping the same HC but bringing in TWO Coordinators has certainly seemed to "improve" the Chiefs this season!)

#3) Make sure he and Doug Whaley, the "whiz kid from the Steelers" are ready on March 1st to sign some productive free agents.

#4) Draft a QB with his #1 pick, even if it's Mallet,Locker or Newton, I don't care which one. Nothing happens in almost all major NFL rebuilding projects until the QB is in place. This past April All the naysayers said "don't draft a QB this year at #9, none of them are worth it....wait until next year's draft." Now, it seems those same naysayers are saying Luck is the only one worth drafting in the top 5 where the Bills will of course end up. B.S I say! Hey, the naysayers may have been 100% right in not wanting the Bills to waste their first round pick on Clausen, McCoy or Tebow. So what the hell has these other three great QB's done (Mallet, Locker and Newton) this past season to make the naysayers decide they aren't worth it either?? Locker had some injury issues, but he still looks pretty damn good to me. The other two had outstanding seasons. I do not believe that Andrew Luck is the only top 5 worthy QB in the draft, and I hope Buddy feels the same way.

#5) After the QB is drafted (I hope) number one, Nix must then start drafting players from bigger colleges who are more prepared for the "speed of the NFL." Troup and Carrington wasted too much time in the rookie learning curve this past season, and I believe rookies drafted in rounds two and three should be more prepared to contribute right out of the gate then those two guys were!

Hold up sparky. You're mostly right-on with your ideas but lets get the facts straight first.

#1.) - Whateves - college football regular season is over the bulk of the scouting has already taken place. I don't know what effect that is going to have on the 2011 draft, but yes we have flopped on our 1st round picks for over a decade. No one has paid the piper for these flops beside the revolving doors of coaches and GMs, that is.

#2.) - Edwards was a DC for the Redskins and Florida Gators, but yeah he isn't proving to be very good. Doubt anyone would shed a tear, but for a franchise that continually changes coaches, it doesn't seem like changing coaches has much effect.

#3.) There will be no Free Agent signings on March 1st. The extended "no cap" year of 2010 is over, the CBA completely expires on March 1st 2011 and it doesn't look there is going to be anything resolved before then. But to your greater greater point whenever Free Agency starts this year, the Bills need to be ready to offer and sign players to fill needs.

#4.) Jake Locker is not regarded by any NFL scout as a 1st round pick, and there are really only people drinking Hatorade that think Mallet or Newton will not be picked in the 1st. Both Newton and Mallet are a bit of reach at pick 5 but QBs tend to shoot up the board as there are barely 32 people in the World that are capable of being a good NFL QB. So if the Bills took Mallet at #5 although the haters will come out of the wood work it wouldn't be an extremely unlikely pick.

#5.) Very good point you are right on. Nix drafted only captains and definitely reached way into the Sun Belt conference to make picks, Which I agree was strange. The Bills as an organization have a history of picking from Ohio State and then many smaller schools in small conferences, it can't be a coincidence. I would think pulling in big time talent that played in big time games and Won could only help. Clearly Nix is trying to build an organization that has character and started in the 2010 draft unlike Levy's "character" lip service. Its definitely not a recipe for a rapid turn around and no Bills fan should expect a rapid turnaround. Nix has made it clear there will be more pain before there is pleasure. I expect him to have a similar draft style in 2011 draft, drafting captains and leaders whether it be from large or small programs. I may not agree with the strategy but atleast there appears to be a strategy.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Actually it likely is much harder than rocket science as thre are formulas to use in science. Here's it's gut instincts which can more easily be misproved.

Re #3, Yup, just look at the Redskins to show how great this works.

Re #4 , There are much more failures than successes out there. I'm very nervious about college QB's who ofte nlook good becasue thye have a great tema around them. There's much less prep time in college, so I think this gives offenses a much bigger leg up than in the pro's It becomes easy for QB's to look good.

Re35, I'd pefer someone who looks good in 3 or 4 years to drafting the rookie of the year and see little if any improvment.

This has to be one of the worst ideas ever posted. You don't just pick any QB. All you have to do is see what Donahoe did in 2004. He tried desperately to trade up for Roethlisberger and failed. So using your theory, he decided that he could pick another QB in the 1st round and ended up with JP Losman. That's the same JP Losman who is thrilled to be Seattle's 3rd string QB. Locker a great QB worth a top 5 pick? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

1. Yes

2. How about we give the guy some talent and see if he can get things going first.

3. ABSOLUTELY!!! I agree with you here the most. If I hear Buddy's sleeping the first day of FA, I'm going down to OBD and puking on his desk.

4. No. We have too many problems. If Luck is going to enter the draft, you draft him. Otherwise, it's a wasted pick on a QB. Get A LB or DE in the First Round.

5. Agreed. Players in Round 1-3 Should be impact players that come in hear with passion and contribute Immediately

1. Yes. Look at all the Zero's on his draft board. The NFL stand for "Not For Long" when you draft **** talent on a regular basis on almost any other team. Maybin being the most biggest loser maybe even bigger than Mike Williams. I'm also not impressed too much with the 2010 draft thus far Buddy!!!

2. How about we give the guy some talent and see if he can get things going first.

3. ABSOLUTELY!!! I agree with you here the most. If I hear Buddy's sleeping the first day of FA, I'm going down to OBD and puking on his desk.

4. No. We have too many problems. If Luck is going to enter the draft, you draft him. Otherwise, it's a wasted pick on a QB. Get A LB or DE in the First Round.

5. Agreed. Players in Round 1-3 Should be impact players that come in here with passion and contribute Immediately

1. I honestly do not know how much of the problem really is Modrak. Given that the picks in the later rounds and free agency tend to out-perform our first and second round picks, I have to believe that other voices are making the final call on those early picks and then deferring to Modrak and his team for the less recognized, later-round players. Still, the draft record under his regime has not been good, and it may just be time to turn the page.

2. A month ago, I was screaming that Edwards should be fired NOW. However, the defense has at least gotten better in recent weeks. Even on Sunday both the score and rushing yards allowed were a bit misleading. Maybe I am the only person in the world who watched the game and felt like the Bills did a decent job of holding Peterson (who is a bona fide stud) in check most of the game. Take away that long TD run he had in the 4th quarter, which came after a demoralizing turnover when the outcome had already been decided, and he only rushed for about 50 yards. The other 2 TDs were set up by 1st and goal-to-go from the 1 yard line: the first came courtesy of a pass interference penalty on Leodis and the second after the fumble on the Center-to-QB exchange. I will have to say that the defense has done a better job of applying pressure to the QB and forcing turnovers since the second half of the season. So maybe the players are starting to buy what Edwards is selling. While I am no longer in the "Fire Edwards NOW!" camp, it is still worth noting that he oversees one of the worst defenses in the league, even if it has shown marginal improvement of late. I guess I would just like to see how well the guys play in the final four games before making a final pronouncement on Edwards' future. After all, Fewell is showing in NY how much smarter he looks when he has a more talented roster to work with.

3. Free agency activity is unfortunately going to be based on what is going on with the labor talks. Since there is probably not going to be an agreement in place by March 1, we may have to be patient in these regards. Whaley is likely to follow the way he was taught in Pittsburgh, which is to make low key, not-so-costly free agent acquisitions. Still, if he could acquire a couple of seasoned linemen and a quality linebacker that would be an excellent start.

4. Disagree here. Fitz isn't perfect, but he is a legitimate NFL QB -- and we have several other positions currently being manned by guys who do not deserve to be on the final roster. Still a talent like Luck comes along so rarely that I believe you HAVE to draft him, if he is there. Otherwise, in Round 1 the Bills should draft the best OL, DL -- or even CB (yes, I said that) available. There will be quality options at LB in the 2nd-3rd round.

5. Agreed. Although, if Troupe and Carrington manage to become solid starters in the future, I would consider both to be good draft picks regardless of their plodding development in Year 1.

This has to be one of the worst ideas ever posted. You don't just pick any QB. All you have to do is see what Donahoe did in 2004. He tried desperately to trade up for Roethlisberger and failed. So using your theory, he decided that he could pick another QB in the 1st round and ended up with JP Losman. That's the same JP Losman who is thrilled to be Seattle's 3rd string QB. Locker a great QB worth a top 5 pick? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

well said

Following the OP's well thought out plan we'd have burned a #1 on Clausen, McCoy or Tebow. No offense but I'll get behind Buddy's plan.

In all seriousness, what is the plan beyond repeatedly saying they'll build through the draft? I'll grant that the OP should have thought the QB thing through, but he's not far off. This franchise doesn't have all the time they had in SD.

Edited by BillsVet

In all seriousness, what is the plan beyond repeatedly saying they'll build through the draft? I'll grant that the OP should have thought the QB thing through, but he's not far off. This franchise doesn't have all the time they had in SD.

What do you mean by that?

Well the injured guys coming back should make for an interesting TC. Batten, Coleman, Davis, Torbor, Meriweather for LBs and Edwards on the DL. Draft is the most important tool but I'd be surprised if they didn't make a run at some top FA's......providing there football next year at all.

Fitz with a good line is a good QB & a Buffalo type of guy !! And have we forgotten what history has taught us ????

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS !!!! How long has that been said , if history has a way of repeating it self we should get a defensive stud with our first round pick . There are a few real good D lineman & LB's that will declare this year for the draft that would be worth a first round look .

I think Nix has gotten some good lineman in here through free agency (Urbik , Wrotto) so if what he is doing continues with UDFA & other FA signings after he get's the guys we want in the draft we should be alright .

Plus don't forget all of the players we will be getting back from IR next year that have been on IR from the beginning of the season . Batten & Easley will be almost like getting 2 more draft picks !!

I agree with 1 through 3. But

I would keep Fitz as the QB the guy has thrown for 20 TD passes with a crap O-line in front of him and a inconsistent running game. Give the guy some more talent in front of him and another season.

They should spend the 1st pick on a defensive playmaker preferably a pass rusher. Then with the 2nd go for a RT to help the O-line. Trade back up into the 2nd with the 3rd and Lynch picks and take a MLB. The O-line sees improvement with the RT and the defense gets two linebackers to help re-stock the D.

I would also resign Poz and Whitner both guys are capable defensive players.

Buddy Nix and his friend Chan better drop those ignorant-sounding hillbillie accents, or they will be run out of Buffalo on a rail (unless we make the playoffs next year, and then we will like them for being "folksy" in an "everybody like Karl Childers kind of way)

Edited by Bills99999

#4...nothing sets an organization back further than missing on a QB early in the first round...primarily because of the money involved...it's the only position that has acquired immunity when it comes to salary slotting

#5...Agree...Players from the SEC have dominated the NFL draft for the past few years by a large margin. Last year, 25 of 32 teams drafted at least one player from an an SEC school. Buffalo was not one of them. Six (6) of New England's draft picks were from SEC schools.

Edited by 217014170

Since this thread was started, I'll throw in my 2 cents on what I would do if I was a GM.

1.) Sign Fitz to a contract that extends him through the 2013 season (make it front end loaded)

2.) Free Agency - Sign a stud Right Tackle

3.) Free Agency - Sign either a Stud Strong or Free Safety (a game changer in pass coverage)

4.) Trade Lee Evans for a 4th Round Draft Pick (if you can't get a 3rd)

5.) Draft - Round 1 - Left Tackle (future of franchise)

6.) Draft - Round 2 - Best QB Available

7.) Draft - Round 3-7 - Draft best DE, OLB, MLB available (starting with DE)

8.) Give Maybin another year to prove his worth, if he comes to camp and sucks, outright cut him.

9.) Start Fitz in 2011 with the Rookie 3rd string.

Hopefully we are fighting to be .500 in 2011.

10.) Once eliminated from the playoffs, start your Rookie QB with no pressure to see what potential he has.

11.) Open QB competition in 2012 Training Camp, loser is 2nd string

In 2012 we're in the hunt for the playoffs.