Spiller's Future in Buffalo

If you take out the first game of the season against Miami, he's got 4.7 ypc and long runs of 15+ in 5 out of the 9 games all with 7 or less rushes a game (this includes the GB game where he got a single rush). He also has a kick return for a TD; doesn't seem too terrible to me. He's on a bad team, and we need to be patient. There are glimpses of good shtuff here.

SPILLER 4 PRESIDENT

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take out the first game of the season against Miami, he's got 4.7 ypc and long runs of 15+ in 5 out of the 9 games all with 7 or less rushes a game (this includes the GB game where he got a single rush). He also has a kick return for a TD; doesn't seem too terrible to me. He's on a bad team, and we need to be patient. There are glimpses of good shtuff here.

SPILLER 4 PRESIDENT

Jahvid Best's numbers are beter and he's on an equally bad team

I swear, people who support Spiller because he's fast must really LOVE Al Davis's approach to drafting. :nana:

Thats the point im trying to make. If we got him middle or late first round, then i'd be A LOT more patient with him. It's completely different than Mendenhall or Steven Jackson. Those RB's were taken late first round and arent as costly so I wouldnt care as much if it took time for them to produce. But why the hell do we have to WAIT for Spiller to show promise? Top 10 picks should produce IMMEDIATELY. They should at least play enough to make some kinda impact. 500 or 600 yds maybe. 5 TDs? Am I asking for too much from a top 10 RB?

So you originally compared Mendenhall, and Steve Jackson with Spiller, and now you decided to change your tune. Now its, "well Steven Jackson was drafted 15 spots after CJ Spiller. So If you're drafted #24 you get a year, if you're drafted #9 you don't get a year." Awesome opinion, thanks.

Spiller has had little impact through the first 12 games and was drafted with #9 pick. Great, you accessed the obvious, Amazing analysis.

No one is arguing the obvious.

Care to offer anything original or insightful?

Its Week 14 Spiller is on the roster, what do you suggest the Bills do?

(As a side note the Oakland Raiders are 6-6 and have an outside chance at a Wild Card. Also even though ESPN likes to make fun of Al Davis outside of JaWalrus and Darrius Heyward-Bey, they have had 4 years of very good draft picks that are making a difference on the field. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/draft.htm)

Thanks. :nana:

I apologize that you're never able to prove your points.

Its easy to be "right" when you state the obvious, have to wait years to be proved wrong, and ignore direct questions.

What happens when Spiller has back to back 1,000 yards in 2013 and 2014 on a Bills' playoff run?

Was it still a wasted pick then?

Its easy to be "right" when you state the obvious, have to wait years to be proved wrong, and ignore direct questions.

What happens when Spiller has back to back 1,000 yards in 2013 and 2014 on a Bills' playoff run?

Of course not but we all know that, that won't happen so as of right now, it's a waste of a pick. You guys can dream and hope and pray that Spiller doesn't become the next Whitner or the next McCargo, or the next Mike WIlliams, or the next Losman, or the next Flowers, or the next Maybin, or the next McKelvin.

I make judgements off what I've seen and what they've done. And I haven't been impressed with Spiller at all. Sure he has over 4 yds per carry, but he doesn't have a lot of carries. 4.1 yds per touch for the AVERAGE 4.8 carries he has in a game That doesn't impress me at all.

So if Freddy is the 11th best back in the best football league in the world (bar none) he is average? Got it. High standards you have..

Actually no, he is far more worse than that. Was just being cute to make the point. He's currently 20th in the league in rushing. But yeah, I guess you'd call him a slightly-below-average-NFL-running-back, but average is easier to type.

A universe away from being elite, though.

Actually no, he is far more worse than that. Was just being cute to make the point. He's currently 20th in the league in rushing. But yeah, I guess you'd call him a slightly-below-average-NFL-running-back, but average is easier to type.

A universe away from being elite, though.

You do realize how much scheme affects your beloved stats, right?

Of course not but we all know that, that won't happen so as of right now, it's a waste of a pick. You guys can dream and hope and pray that Spiller doesn't become the next Whitner or the next McCargo, or the next Mike WIlliams, or the next Losman, or the next Flowers, or the next Maybin, or the next McKelvin.

I make judgements off what I've seen and what they've done. And I haven't been impressed with Spiller at all. Sure he has over 4 yds per carry, but he doesn't have a lot of carries. 4.1 yds per touch for the AVERAGE 4.8 carries he has in a game That doesn't impress me at all.

Just so I can understand what you are saying......

- You denounce Spiller's 4.1 yards per carry because he doesn't have enough touches

- Then you applaud Best because he has more stats on a equally bad team....and is the main back with lots of touches

Okkkkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy

Sounds about right, but don't we need to get more out of him given his high draft status?

Reggie Bush has more than 30 touchdowns in this league. I don't think it's a given Spiller will have as successful a career as Reggie Bush.

Spiller better average a lot more than the 400 yds / year rushing Bush puts up.

Spiller was an obvious Ralph Wilson pick, the goal being to draw more fans and increase profit. The problem is, the season is 3/4 over and Spiller didn't produce enough to sell tickets. Will he? One never knows but I for one doubt it.

A qb WOULD sell tickets next season because that is the way it works. Luck will be gone and Ralph will draft Ryan Mallett, unless Dallas trades ahead of us and grabs him first.

The thing is, this is the one time Ralph would be doing the right thing. Nix/Gailey can go after blockers and LBs in rounds 2-7 and free agency, but I digress.

Spiller looks to be a tiny little gadget player. If he breaks one now and then people will have stats to point to, but he was a very ill advised draft selection in terms of the Bills winning football games. To put it into context, drafting Spiller was almost as bad as drafting Whitner at #8 or McKelvin at #11, and these picks were nothing short of utter idiocy.

Spiller was an obvious Ralph Wilson pick, the goal being to draw more fans and increase profit. The problem is, the season is 3/4 over and Spiller didn't produce enough to sell tickets. Will he? One never knows but I for one doubt it.

A qb WOULD sell tickets next season because that is the way it works. Luck will be gone and Ralph will draft Ryan Mallett, unless Dallas trades ahead of us and grabs him first.

The thing is, this is the one time Ralph would be doing the right thing. Nix/Gailey can go after blockers and LBs in rounds 2-7 and free agency, but I digress.

Spiller looks to be a tiny little gadget player. If he breaks one now and then people will have stats to point to, but he was a very ill advised draft selection in terms of the Bills winning football games. To put it into context, drafting Spiller was almost as bad as drafting Whitner at #8 or McKelvin at #11, and these picks were nothing short of utter idiocy.

- I agree that this might have well been a Ralph Wilson pick...but that doesn't have to be all bad. We need playmakers and while he might have been a "ticket selling pick" we may have gotten some talent along the way

- Wouldn't you like to see Spiller get some starts past his rookie year before you start declaring him Whitner or McKelvin?

- It is way to early to be calling Spiller a bust

I would've seriously have had a long look at Brandon Graham at that spot or Jason Pierre Paul. Would've been slight reaches but wouldve helped our 34 defense immensely.

Fair enough

But in all fairness they didn't know what was going to happen with Schrobel, Drafted Troupe in the next round, then Carrington after that.....both Troupe and Carrington look like they could be solid players.

I dont believe in getting gunshy after bad picks.....but maybe after the Maybin pick they got skittish? But if one of those players DID pan out our defense would look a lot better now.

Now that is some seriously wishful thinking.

Yes, but not entirely out of the question either. Both of these players attended small schools, so the learning curve was going to be there. We will see more of them in the next few games, and hopefully they will gain much needed experience. I am, as of now, happy with both selections. At least they are big, strong players.

Btw, I think that the Bills will focus a lot more on offense in April. Sportswriters and fans are now complaining about the OL on a regular basis. It is no longer just a couple of chronic moaners on a message board. :) This OL is horrid for the world to see. Fitz, with his mobility, does place a bandaid on this gaping wound, but it obviously isn't enough.

I hope they can get a "Bulaga" style RT. One that played LT in college but doesn't project to LT in the pros. I wouldn't put Love in this category because imo he does project to LT and his stock will rapidly rise. Either way, I am hoping for more OTs, and even another guard. I'm not so thrilled with Eric Wood at this point.

I love Fred make no mistake about it-

Spiller is a homerun threat every time he touches it, jeez guys give him some time to adjust not only to the league but this is a pass happy offense he needs to know his blitz pickups etc. He's going to be great lets let him get 12-15 games under the belt.

Says who? and he's had 10 games already.

I have not seen one homerun yet, but we sure have seen a lot of strikeouts already.

At this point I think most would settle for some doubles, but at this point that also seems to be asking a lot from Spiller.

He seems more like a "punch and judy hitter" than anything else.

Edited by FreakPop

How do you envision CJ Spiller being used next season?

Do you think he will be the starting running back, handling most of the workload, or do you think Jackson will once again be the featured back?

I say let FJ remain the #1 back until he shows he doesn't deserve it any longer.

Probably. Fred Jackson is a 1,000 back and we didn't need to waste a high pick to get him. Teams like New England and Denver routinely take RBs off the scrap heap and turn them into productive backs because they were smart enough to draft for the OL.

To win in this league you need a QB and you need lots of big, fast guys to play on the front 7 and OL. As long as the Bills continue to spend high picks on RBs, CBs, midget WRs and other assorted players who have questionable skills and/or no natural position in the NFL, don't expect that playoff run anytime soon.

Probably. Fred Jackson is a 1,000 back and we didn't need to waste a high pick to get him. Teams like New England and Denver routinely take RBs off the scrap heap and turn them into productive backs because they were smart enough to draft for the OL.

To win in this league you need a QB and you need lots of big, fast guys to play on the front 7 and OL. As long as the Bills continue to spend high picks on RBs, CBs, midget WRs and other assorted players who have questionable skills and/or no natural position in the NFL, don't expect that playoff run anytime soon.

Yeah except that hasnt been what they have been doing for the most part

Aaron Maybin (yeah i know.....but he WAS drafted as a linemen too bad he sucks)

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

Torrell Troup

Alex Carrington

And we haven't been drafting midget WR's for a while......Easley is huge....Johnson is over 6'.....Nelson is getting a lot of playing time......

If Spiller was drafted by ANY of the playoff bound teams, I wonder how different his stats would be when he isn't stuffed at the handoff.

I wonder what he could accomplish if he was plugged into the backfield in Green Bay.

What we need is to draft some really tall WRs. They are a can't miss!

FJ isn't getting any younger. He is a the perfect guy for CJ to learn from. Spiller will probably be used the same way next year 8-10 carries a game and 2-4 catches and returns. now in 2 years, he very well could be the featured back. he needs to learn to hit the hole north and south a little more, everyone knows that. there is no way he is near the bust that JS is stating. he's going to be a very, very good player for us.

How do you envision CJ Spiller being used next season?

Do you think he will be the starting running back, handling most of the workload, or do you think Jackson will once again be the featured back?

I wonder if Spiller will try to add ten pounds to his frame, or continue at his current playing weight. I would like to see him get some reps as a slot receiver in specialized situations.

It just seems hard to imagine him winning the starting job next season. It feels like the Bills almost have to make him the starter at some point and give him the carries, given the extraordinarily high price we paid to get him - whether he earns it or not. I don't want him to end up as the next Maybin.

He is a potential bust. He is too small to get it done as a RB and an overpaid special teams guy.

After watching the Bills Browns game...Fred Jackson > CJ Spiller.

Did we watch the same game? As Nick Mendola said in his immediate reactions to the game, had the stat lines been reversed we would have been screaming for Jackson to have gotten more carries.

I'm a bit confused about all the anti-spiller sentiment. Yes, it was a luxury pick, but he couldn't help where he was drafted. I think if spiller got a good amount of carries per game, he'd be doing great, right now. Freddie just refuses to play poorly, and so CJ has to deal with a limited amount of touches.