Spiller's Future in Buffalo

How do you envision CJ Spiller being used next season?

Do you think he will be the starting running back, handling most of the workload, or do you think Jackson will once again be the featured back?

I wonder if Spiller will try to add ten pounds to his frame, or continue at his current playing weight. I would like to see him get some reps as a slot receiver in specialized situations.

It just seems hard to imagine him winning the starting job next season. It feels like the Bills almost have to make him the starter at some point and give him the carries, given the extraordinarily high price we paid to get him - whether he earns it or not. I don't want him to end up as the next Maybin.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread will quickly devolve into a "what a wasted pick" thread. Bottom line, CJ is very talented kid who is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. He's got amazing speed/quickness. That said, he needs to learn a LOT about the NFL game. You can't get by in the NFL with just physical gifts. If he learns, I envision him being the next Chris Johnson. If not, the next Reggie Bush.

Maybin! :sick: don't curse the poor guy. He should either start or become a Wes Welker type. Every time they Take carries away from Fred he stinks. One of them needs to be the guy and the other moved. I would like to see Spiller get a start now that he has got a few months under his belt and see if can carry the load and have Fred return Kicks where he excelled (and McKelvin doesn't)and do some third down plays.

Maybe 8 carries a game, used as a slot receiver on some plays and continuing returning kicks

Sounds about right, but don't we need to get more out of him given his high draft status?

This thread will quickly devolve into a "what a wasted pick" thread. Bottom line, CJ is very talented kid who is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. He's got amazing speed/quickness. That said, he needs to learn a LOT about the NFL game. You can't get by in the NFL with just physical gifts. If he learns, I envision him being the next Chris Johnson. If not, the next Reggie Bush.

Reggie Bush has more than 30 touchdowns in this league. I don't think it's a given Spiller will have as successful a career as Reggie Bush.

Bottom line, CJ is very talented kid who is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball.

Seems like a an empty threat at this point. It's the NFL - which running back has no chance of scoring when they get the ball? That isn't really a compliment, it's the job description.

Reggie Bush has more than 30 touchdowns in this league. I don't think it's a given Spiller will have as successful a career as Reggie Bush.

I use Reggie Bush as an example only because he's a situational back and kick returner, not an every down back.

Seems like a an empty threat at this point. It's the NFL - which running back has no chance of scoring when they get the ball? That isn't really a compliment, it's the job description.

Nonsense. Sure, all NFL running backs are great athletes, but not every one of them is a legit "take it to the house" threat every time they touch the ball. Like I said, CJ has a LOT to learn to be a quality back in this league. If (and it's a big IF) he can learn to run between the tackles and block in the backfield, he's got the potential to be a VERY special player.

I use Reggie Bush as an example only because he's a situational back and kick returner, not an every down back.

Nonsense. Sure, all NFL running backs are great athletes, but not every one of them is a legit "take it to the house" threat every time they touch the ball. Like I said, CJ has a LOT to learn to be a quality back in this league. If (and it's a big IF) he can learn to run between the tackles and block in the backfield, he's got the potential to be a VERY special player.

He's a RB drafted by a desperate team in the top 10. That should not be a developmental pick, especially at RB. And this stuff about "scoring anytime he touches the ball" we heard in the off-season, yet he really hasn't demonstrated anything like that yet.

when Freddy Jackson's career long rush is only 43 yards i think the spiller pick makes sense. He was the best player on the board.

He has to fine tune his running game for the NFL but ive seen more potential from him this year to hit a home run than ive ever seen from freddy.

Spillers 95 yard KR for a TD should have opened some eyes to the fact this guy is talented.

I can't think of a single 1st round RB who struggled in their rookie season and turned it around to become a "special player." I'm sure there have been a few, I just can't think of any...

RB is the easiest position to pick up and play well right off the bat and if you struggle its usually because you're not going to make the transition and be the player they thought you would be.

I can't think of a single 1st round RB who struggled in their rookie season and turned it around to become a "special player." I'm sure there have been a few, I just can't think of any...

RB is the easiest position to pick up and play well right off the bat and if you struggle its usually because you're not going to make the transition and be the player they thought you would be.

RIght off the bat, T Thomas did not have a good rookie season, he scored 2 TDs and avg 4.3 yds a carry. He also had something like 10 fumbles.

Spiller is avg 4.1 yds per carry.

Its way too early to make a call on CJ. It might be hard to draw a comparison to other guys who turned out fine, but in the majority of those cases they got all the reps. CJ is playing 2nd fiddle to Freddy right now.

Ever hear of a guy named O. J. Simpson????

Just sayin'

Withholding judgement until I see a game where he gets 9 or 10 carries and doesn't get hit 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage by half the defense on every play. That said, its clear that FJ has learned how to run with these conditions, Spiller has yet to develop that skill.