Steve Johnson Should Not Blame God

NaPolian8693

Matthew 27:45-46

"Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Admittedly He was going through a lot more than a dropped pass in overtime, but the point is there.

Job's wife was known to advise Job to "curse God and die".

We have had our dark moments where we have (wrongly..but understandably imhop) blamed the Higher Power.

Hopefully the Big Guy will privately intercede with SJ and straighten things out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew 27:45-46

"Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Admittedly He was going through a lot more than a dropped pass in overtime, but the point is there.

Job's wife was known to advise Job to "curse God and die".

We have had our dark moments where we have (wrongly..but understandably imhop) blamed the Higher Power.

Hopefully the Big Guy will privately intercede with SJ and straighten things out.

Agreed - the comments from people who claimed to be so shocked that SJ might have blamed God in a moment of despair are - in my estimation - mostly disingenuous garbage from people who know nothing about faith except that they enjoy seeing others lose theirs.

Edited by BobChalmers

Agreed - the comments from people who claimed to be so shocked that SJ might have blamed God in a moment of despair are - in my estimation - mostly disingenuous garbage from people who know nothing about faith except that they enjoy seeing others lose theirs.

I don't think anyone is "shocked"--these guys are always praining Jesus or someone for their TDs, goals, home runs, etc.

It's more that this kid can't seem to keep any thoughts to himself--and the public is surprised and justifiably amused that he would blame, of all beings, God. It's silly. Imagine if twitter had been around when this kid didn't get the Christmas presents he was praying for.

You weren't nailed to the cross. You didn't die for the sins of others. You dropped a ball, God had nothing to do with it, leave Him alone. Just STFU and go out and have a great game Sunday.

You weren't nailed to the cross. You didn't die for the sins of others. You dropped a ball, God had nothing to do with it, leave Him alone. Just STFU and go out and have a great game Sunday.

This public service announcement brought to you by someone who fell asleep in high school English the day they covered "metaphors".

It's more that this kid can't seem to keep any thoughts to himself--and the public is surprised and justifiably amused that he would blame, of all beings, God. It's silly. Imagine if twitter had been around when this kid didn't get the Christmas presents he was praying for.

Last time i checked, Santa delivered Christmas gifts, not Jesus or God.

And you of course, have proof that God is a fictional character?

Is it his job to prove that every possible character is fictional, or is it yours to prove that your specific character is not fictional?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

If you've never questioned the existence or benevolence of God when tragedy or sorrow entered your life; then I would argue you're not a person of faith.

His reaction was quite normal. The problem was, in this day of every thought being posted to the internet, he let everyone know of his doubts. But , then again, isn't that why he's on twitter - to let everyone knows his constant stream of thoughts? It's all just blown completely out of proportion.

This public service announcement brought to you by someone who fell asleep in high school English the day they covered "metaphors".

No, actually. SJ isn't using metaphor--he is blaming God for his drop. Others who try to rationalize this absurdity are now comparing such a trivial "tragedy" with Christ's suffering on the cross and his plea to God, saying Stevie's just doing the same thing.

Clearly the public school system in DC is deficient: in high school, we understood the proper use of metaphor and would have recognized this as ridiculously inappropriate.

If you've never questioned the existence or benevolence of God when tragedy or sorrow entered your life; then I would argue you're not a person of faith.

I would think that people of faith would save such outbursts of doubt for actual tragic events. He dropped a ball. He's the one who blew it out of proportion.

Last time i checked, Santa delivered Christmas gifts, not Jesus or God.

And it was Fitzy who delivered that game winning OT NFL TD that Stevie has been praying (to God) for since childhood. What's your point?

I would think that people of faith would save such outbursts of doubt for actual tragic events. He dropped a ball. He's the one who blew it out of proportion.

Tragedy, like many things, is in the eye of the beholder.

You've never thought something in your life wasn't a great tragic event, just ot realize how silly you were a year later?

People ask God for support in a myriad of trivial tasks every day. What's so wrong with questioning his support in response to trivial things. Should players not praise God when they make a game winning catch? Should I not ask God for help guidance in my every day, trivial life? Conversely, should I stop talking to God when things in my life - big and small - don't work out? Who decides what's an actual tragic event? The problem is he's having an open conversation with God and that offends too many people. Not because he's having the conversation, but because it's not a glowing, all is good conversation.

No idea where to even put this comment; there's so many Stevie threads; but just wanted to say....

I just watched his Wed. press conference and you just can't help but like this guy's attitude and approach to the game. One thing that really stood out was when asked if the subsequent hoopla to his tweeting would change the way he acts in the future (with regard to tweeting and all). And he acknowledges that it probably will, at least for a bit, because he's getting attention for all the wrong reasons. He always thought he'd get noticed for what he did on the field not for this other stuff.

I mean... how can you not like this guy? The more I hear him, the more I'm proud to have him on the Bills.

No idea where to even put this comment; there's so many Stevie threads; but just wanted to say....

I just watched his Wed. press conference and you just can't help but like this guy's attitude and approach to the game. One thing that really stood out was when asked if the subsequent hoopla to his tweeting would change the way he acts in the future (with regard to tweeting and all). And he acknowledges that it probably will, at least for a bit, because he's getting attention for all the wrong reasons. He always thought he'd get noticed for what he did on the field not for this other stuff.

I mean... how can you not like this guy? The more I hear him, the more I'm proud to have him on the Bills.

He said the lesson he learned is that he is "not in control". This was a short sound bite so it is hard to get the context but I assume he means you cannot control everything that happens to you. I hope he also understands that he has control of his reaction and how it affects him. The dropped pass may have been the root cause of this issue but it was his reaction started all the fuss in the national media. I sure hope he gets that part of it.

Edited by Bob in STL

He said the lesson he learned is that he is "not in control". This was a short sound bite so it is hard to get the context but I assume he means you cannot control everything that happens to you. I hope he also understands that he has control of his reaction and how it affects him. The dropped pass may have been the root cause of this issue but it was his reaction started all the fuss in the national media. I sure hope he gets that part of it.

I completely agree. And I'm guessing/hoping by his later comment that he doesn't want to be known for the wrong reason that he does get that. I suspect or hope that if he does score this week we'll see a little lower key celebration and twitting about it.

I do like his energy and passion that he brings to the team, and wouldn't want him to get rid of that part of his personality all together. But a little reeling it in for a while to let his play speak for itself would be refreshing to see.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/For-Johnson-Its-all-good/5779ce22-b690-4f28-8e78-d9b70ecf5692

Good article... but why so much talk about god?!

Since we're all on the subject - I must quote...

The GREAT George Carlin:

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

...But He loves you."

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Edited by Rust Belt Brotherhood