Wikileaks under major attack

DrDawkinstein

Is there any logical discrepancy with wanting the Plame leaker and the WikiLeaker leaker prosecuted (on legal grounds), and at the same time believing the press is free to use whatever they have. (on 1st Amendment principles).

I don't see a problem with this stance.

First of all, I thought Novak should have been prosecuted. Why does a press badge give you the right to disclose classified information?

That was not the point anyway. The left seems delighted that we know the armed status of missiles in Poland, But jumped on the Wilson leak with outrage that our national security could be so terribly breeched. Why? Because they saw it as a shot at Bush.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current death toll attributed to Wikileaks posting classified information: 0

Current death toll attributed to these major Governments' wars (which were due to their own greed and ambition) over only the past 100 years: roughly 116,000,000

amen

Who are the terrorists against the people?

Thread merge in PPP in 3,2,1...

No. There are certain threads that are fun to leave here. The best part is when someone chimes in who has never been to PPP. You read their post and you just knew that was the side they'd take and they've never talked politics before.

Oh and BTW what I hate about this WikiLeaks **** and that you and I feel EXACTLY the same way. :censored: you!! :lol:

youtube.com/watch?v=hG443N7lo4Q

!@#$ Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Wolfowitz! They are evil, not Assange. If you got nothing to hide then full disclosure should be no big deal

That song reminds me of Richard Perle, someone I bet most Americans aren't even aware of. YET he's in the defense business who profits from war. He was also a chief protaginist for the war on Iraq in the Bush Adminstration. Several years earlier he had advised the Israeli government to wage war on Syria, Iraq and Iran, and saw the post-9/11 environment as his opportunity to get US started on this plan. To paraphrase Bush, if evil has a face, then it's Richard Perle.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No. There are certain threads that are fun to leave here. The best part is when someone chimes in who has never been to PPP. You read their post and you just knew that was the side they'd take and they've never talked politics before.

Oh and BTW what I hate about this WikiLeaks **** and that you and I feel EXACTLY the same way. :censored: you!! :lol:

I may have to start agreeing with you more often. :devil:

That song reminds me of Richard Perle, someone I bet most Americans aren't even aware of. YET he's in the defense business who profits from war. He was also a chief protaginist for the war on Iraq in the Bush Adminstration. Several years earlier he had advised the Israeli government to wage war on Syria, Iraq and Iran, and saw the post-9/11 environment as his opportunity to get US started on this plan. To paraphrase Bush, if evil has a face, then it's Richard Perle.

Oh and don't forget Feith he's a real doll.

Free Press

Freedom of Speech

The People's Right to Information about their own government

If you can't beat 'em, and if you can't arrest 'em, have your secret agency kill him... (even though that's exactly the type of stuff that should keep the people watching the Government)

Free Press

Freedom of Speech

The People's Right to Information about their own government

If you can't beat 'em, and if you can't arrest 'em, have your secret agency kill him... (even though that's exactly the type of stuff that should keep the people watching the Government)

youtube.com/watch?v=d36xEvVnF2I

For once, I agree with Beckel. ONCE!

Watergate has nothing on the lies, deception, megalomania, and absolute disregard of the constitution, nor concern for our troops that was the Iraq cluster!@#$. Assange deserves a statue. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz deserve to be treated like Ceausescu or Milosovec. Add Henry Kissenger to the despicable scumbags that have dictated our foreign policy without consent of congress or the American people

Watergate has nothing on the lies, deception, megalomania, and absolute disregard of the constitution, nor concern for our troops that was the Iraq cluster!@#$. Assange deserves a statue. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz deserve to be treated like Ceausescu or Milosovec. Add Henry Kissenger to the despicable scumbags that have dictated our foreign policy without consent of congress or the American people

And what 'consent' does Assange have?

Care to venture a guess how WWII may have turned out had our enemies known how far along we were the the atomic bomb?

Bad example. How about:

Care to guess how WWII may have turned out had our enemies known we were reading their mail?

Consequences will never be the same herp herp derp. For what? Someone knowing where the Kinko's is in Alabama? Someone knowing that we have large dams in certain places? I mean, really, I get your point. I guess, you're right, I mean we do lack the ability to communicate on a big scaled network of other people to share information in any means capable! Imagine, a way you could talk to someone across the world to share insight, maybe even use video and voice, too. Seriously, do you not realize terrorists and foreign countries have spy satellites all over us, spies in the gov, etc? Do you not realize you can go to any number of websites and figure out about how many bombers we have at some base in timbuckto because some guy who likes planes counts them and puts them on his fan page? I mean, there are thousands of pages devoted to train spotting! What is so secret about this stuff? Spare me that we do not know what will happen because of this, because it is not at all important.

No, not at all. I think if the Government stops lying to the people we will live a much healthier life. We will be able to elect our officials accurately based on the truth, we'll get rid of Rangel's, Steven's, Obama's, Bush's, Palin's. All people who lie every bit they can.

There are 2 million people who would love to kill me by torture in a second and that will never change, even if the world knows we found out the President of X is cheating.

3 days passed in the time we dropped the first and second on Japan and they were not ready to back out. Did you know that Germany was very close, as well. If the war had gone on another year the German army could have had jet fighters.

Yes, and you cannot ride Lucy, she's all mine.

Ah, that explains everything. You're ignorant. Laughably so. :lol:

Is there any logical discrepancy with wanting the Plame leaker and the WikiLeaker leaker prosecuted (on legal grounds), and at the same time believing the press is free to use whatever they have. (on 1st Amendment principles).

I don't see a problem with this stance.

Only issue I have is whether or not Assmange is "press", or just a megalomaniacal idiot.

Furthermore, there's some question as to whether or not the press is legally allowed to solicit for information obtained illegally. It came out of the Pentagon Papers: if the media had specifically requested the information be leaked, then they may have been committing a crime and not shielded by the First Amendment...and it's pretty damned clear-cut that Assmange is soliciting restricted information.

And furthermore...as a point of law, the limits of a free press have never truly been tested in this case. The Supremes ruled, in the Pentagon Papers, only on the government's right to exercise prior restraint in stopping publication. After publication, a media outlet may still be charged with a crime.

The funny thing is, the law's muddled and untested enough that they'd have a better chance charging him with possession of stolen property than espionage (also a fundamental difference between the media and Assmange: media typically sources, Assmange shares. Media merely demonstrates access while Assmange has possession). Funnier still...RIAA has more legal recourse w/r/t stolen media than the US government does. If the government stamps a © on their documents, Assmange is indisputably a criminal. :w00t:

Frankly, I wish they'd charge him with espionage and possession of stolen property, not because I think he broke the law, but so I could watch the appeals wind their way through the courts.