To be AT LEAST 9-7 in 2011

Sorry, I can't speculate right now as i am headed into a meeting, but you guys tell me to at least get to 9-7 what we would need.

Not a Super Bowl team, mind you, just 9-7.

For a quick example: three players - OT, pass rushing LB, DE...something like that.

If you have a name, go for it.

If you think the guys we have are getting good enough now without any changes, with due consideration to an easier schedule next year, feel free to shout that out, too.

The answer to improvement is obvious - Defense.

No such thing as a team even thinking about playoffs that can't stop the run.

Two things - get a run stuffer or two and someone (maybe the same person) who can pressure the crap out opposing QBs.

The Bills offense will improve. The O-line, while not spectacular, is serviceable and will get better through playing together and experience.

Including the injured Parrish and Easley, the Bills will have a good stable of receivers. They have good running backs. If there is one place on offense that needs an upgrade and marquee performer, it's Tight End.

One or two top flight linebackers and dominating a defensive end would nice. I want to say defensive tackle, but Williams is a presence to be reckoned with, and we still have an unknown commodity with the still learning Terrell Troup.

Finding a way to stop the run has got to be the primary focus this coming offseason. If the Bills can solve that problem, 9-7 or better is realistic in 2011.

about 3-4 LBs. 2 in the first 2 rounds that can come in and make a difference now. we could maybe get QUINN and then a LB in free agency. but if we went quinn then hinezrich to play OLB on both sides id be happy. poz and andra in the middle and we should be much improved. the Oline is looking better with theQB play. some depth on the Dline and we could be much improved.

3 things that would make us much better. we need a RT too. but the other are far more pressing needs

The schedule looks as tough, if not tougher than this year. We have the NFC East and an improving AFC West as the variable divisions we play. 9-7 may be a dream.

Funny, Albany, I just e-mailed that to a friend of mine. However, I differ a little with your opinion in that I don't find the NFC East all THAT impressive...good, but not great, and I will take the improving AFC West b/c they are still the "not very good" AFC West. Yes, I want a piece of Oakland and Denver, i know what KC is like and we still almost beat them and the Chargers are coming around again like they always do, but that is a changing team, none the less.

Recap as of now:

All 9 teams we've lost to have winning records.

7 of those nine teams are 7-4 or better.

5 of those teams, more than half our losses, are to teams 8-3 or better.

Current AFC West:

KC 7-4

SD 6-5

Oak 5-6

Den 3-8

Current AFC North:

Bal 8-3

Pit 8-3

Cle 4-7

Cin 2-9

Funny, Albany, I just e-mailed that to a friend of mine. However, I differ a little with your opinion in that I don't find the NFC East all THAT impressive...good, but not great, and I will take the improving AFC West b/c they are still the "not very good" AFC West. Yes, I want a piece of Oakland and Denver, i know what KC is like and we still almost beat them and the Chargers are coming around again like they always do, but that is a changing team, none the less.

Recap as of now:

All 9 teams we've lost to have winning records.

7 of those nine teams are 7-4 or better.

5 of those teams, more than half our losses, are to teams 8-3 or better.

Current AFC West:

KC 7-4

SD 6-5

Oak 5-6

Den 3-8

Current AFC North:

Bal 8-3

Pit 8-3

Cle 4-7

Cin 2-9

I'm thinking we sweep the Fish next year then split with both NYJ and NE. That's right.

I think we split the NFCE and I think we go 3-1 against AFCW.

That puts us at 9-5.

We could have been 9-7 this year if we didn't make terrible mistakes at crucial points in the game.

The key word is "if". The next question is "why?" The answer is more talent on the field.

The point is that the Bills don't curently have the personnel to overcome "terrible mistakes".

All teams make mistakes throughout the season, but it takes the right combination of players and talent that can overcome them, as well as the poor officiating calls that have a tendency to sway games at the least convenient times. Good teams don't let those things get in their way.

The Bills are still in the "close but no cigar" category. We can only imaging the "what if" if the Bills carried 3 or 4 high contributing players in place of the warm bodies that were early round picks, but now merely occupying roster spots. Instead, they'll be looking to fill those voids in the next couple of years through the draft and FA.

Two LBs and a DE.

Dork, Bagel on these boards would love ya. He almost told me the exact same thing via e-mail.

Now that I have thought about it for a bit and consulted with bagel i can give my opinion:

ILB

OLB - pass rusher

OT - quality, not all-pro

gets us to 9-7.

As bagel had requested, "what gets us to 12-4?"

TE - that can block and catch

DE - pass and rush

Sorry JH...a dominant C

Yes, I honestly think 6 guys gets you to 12-4.

Some might say that is a lot, but I don't think it is too many it is more than achievable for this team in 2 years.

These guys don't have to be the best in the league, just better than what we have and of pretty good quality.

...well, I would like the pass rushers to be quite good. :blush:

The key word is "if". The next question is "why?" The answer is more talent on the field.

The point is that the Bills don't curently have the personnel to overcome "terrible mistakes".

All teams make mistakes throughout the season, but it takes the right combination of players and talent that can overcome them, as well as the poor officiating calls that have a tendency to sway games at the least convenient times. Good teams don't let those things get in their way.

The Bills are still in the "close but no cigar" category. We can only imaging the "what if" if the Bills carried 3 or 4 high contributing players in place of the warm bodies that were early round picks, but now merely occupying roster spots. Instead, they'll be looking to fill those voids in the next couple of years through the draft and FA.

This is a really good point. The stud difference makers (like roethlisberger, harrison, polamalu) can make a game changing play when it matters. How many of those guys do we have? I would say none. Key will be to try to get some of those guys in the draft and FA.

To get to 9-7 next year, I'd do the following:

1. Fire Edwards and hire Marvin Lewis as DC after he gets fired by the Bungles

2. Stay with the 4-3

3. Get better linebackers

4. Get a better backup QB via FA. Maybe Kolb

5. Get a better RB to backup Fred. Someone like Fred Taylor or Westbrook.

6. Use Spiller in more of a Reggie Bush type role. Throw passes to him isolated on LBs and reverses and stuff.

7. Improve the OLine through draft or FA

To get to 9-7 next year, I'd do the following:

1. Fire Edwards and hire Marvin Lewis as DC after he gets fired by the Bungles

2. Stay with the 4-3

3. Get better linebackers

4. Get a better backup QB via FA. Maybe Kolb

5. Get a better RB to backup Fred. Someone like Fred Taylor or Westbrook.

6. Use Spiller in more of a Reggie Bush type role. Throw passes to him isolated on LBs and reverses and stuff.

7. Improve the OLine through draft or FA

hmmm...interesting.

letsgobills46

well the colts won a superbowl with a ****ty run defense

yeah, and Peyton Manning. :P

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Sorry, I can't speculate right now as i am headed into a meeting, but you guys tell me to at least get to 9-7 what we would need.

For a quick example: three players - OT, pass rushing LB, DE...something like that.

If you think the guys we have are getting good enough now without any changes, with due consideration to an easier schedule next year, feel free to shout that out, too.

Names? You want names?

Here we go...( I realize it's a stretch, but wtf, why not...and not so sure any contract work has been done on my FA wishlist)

Free Agency:

Carl Nicks, OG, NO Saints. They made Evans the highest paid Guard in the NFL this past offseason and need to resign one of two guys they have for LT...they may not be able to afford Nicks.

David Harris, ILB, NY Jets. One of the best young up and comming LB's inthe league and the Jets have $$ issues with all the moves they've made and need to make as priorities of Harris.

Ray Edwards, DE, Minn. Will be expensive but, IMHO, worth the big contract offer he'll undoubtably get elsewhere if Minn doesn't pony up the cash.

Re-sign Merriman on the cheap and see what he's got left, if anything. Good shot at this with the Nix connection

Draft: (Assuming we don't go QB)

Trade down, pick up an extra 2nd;

1st Rd - Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss State. 6'5" 305lbs. Plays LT @ BC, but I like him @ RT. Rare quick feet & good balance. Great Run and Pass blocker. Picking him up and adding Nicks allows us to move Wood to C...Our O-Line is fixed. I saw a few "experts" say that the game looks like it "comes easy" to this kid.

Rd. 2A - Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada. @ 6'1" 242lbs. this kid ran a 4.25 40 in the spring and consistantly runs in the high 3.8's. 30 Career sacks and 60.5 career tackles for a loss @ DE in a 4-3. Looks perfect to make the transition to OLB in the 3-4. Not much said about his coverage skills, but with his speed he can't be worse than what we have.

Rd. 2B - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor. 6'4" 340lbs. True run stuffer/space eater. Kids got 45 tackles @ DT this season, including 28 solo and 7 for a loss. He's also strong as an OX with a bench around 500 and squat around 700lbs.

Late round GEM - Nick Bellore - ILB, CMU. 6'1" 250lbs. I like this kids size, not to mention he's had 19 career 10+ tackl games and 3 consecutive 100+ tackle seasons.

Sign some good role playing free agents, cut some dead weight.

Draft the best football player available at each of our seven picks. Don't buy the revolving door of what we are supposed to "need" and expect a rookie to fix it before that isn't our biggest problem anymore. A franchise QB and play maker LB would be my priorities if multiple players are pretty closely graded at our top picks.

Continue to play hard every week and progressing in the system and getting better.

Lather, rinse, and repeat...

but for the record, Spiller, Troup, Carrington, and Easley look like they have the potential to be four very good football players, but you see the limited impact they have on our 2010 team. Don't expect rookies to make a huge difference in year 1, and because of that, don't draft them based on what you think you need most in year 1. Three or four years out your needs have changed, but you are stuck with the reach player instead of the star player.

The good news is it is pretty clear that Nix learned something about that while in SD helping build the most talented roster in the NFL, and Chan knows how to coach them. I think we have a lot of potential to do well in 2011, but what I'm most excited about is building a consistent contender who can get us a shot at a ring in the next few years. Just ask Red Sox fans...one ring cures decades of disappointment in a hurry.

Don't expect rookies to make a huge difference in year 1, and because of that, don't draft them based on what you think you need most in year 1. Three or four years out your needs have changed, but you are stuck with the reach player instead of the star player.

very good point, never really thought of it like that.

Altho, I would expect limited results from 1st rnd pick the 1st year.

Defense has to be top priority:

1. NT

2. LB

3. OL because you can never have enough quality in this area.

#1 - Pass Rushing DE in the mold of Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers, Bruce Smith. Problem is, guys like this come around once or twice a decade. Remember when Mario Williams was gonna be the next Bruce or Dwight. Hasn't quite panned out.

#2 - A reliable pass catching TE in the vein of Jermichael Finley or Marcedes Lewis. Gotta get production out this position, can't believe the best thing since Pete Metzellars has been Jay Riemersma.

#3 - Linebackers. I don't care inside or out, pass rushing or run stuffing, this is the weakest link on the defense. Tight ends have torn apart this unit, opposing running backs have run wild, and overall this unit has been mediocre at best. They get by, they make tackles, but are there any disruptors - guys who change the way the offense plays? This unit, hell, this team, needs a Bart Scott, a (in his prime) Ray Lewis - a dynamic, playmaking linebacker.

#4 - A ball-hawking Safety. I don't need the best tackler in the world, I'll take Ed Reed over just about anybody at this position. This unit as it stands now is adequate, but they don't come up with big plays. How long did it take to get an interception this year from the safeties?

#5 - A stud LT. Find one like Joe Thomas or Jake Long, and the position is secure for 10 years.

And if they do all this in the next draft, maybe we'll hit .500 next year. Assuming the lock-out doesn't ruin the season. :wallbash:

I don't have the same concern for Edwards as some earlier posts. The transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 was a big task. In addition, our OLB play has been inconsistent, at best. The horse is dead on that.

One thing I have noticed over the past few weeks is our defensive adjustments at halftime have been great. That's one decent indicator of his ability.