Ugh - Leslie Nielsen has passed

bbb

:cry:

Surely, he will be remembered for "Airplane!" & The Naked Gun series?

Yet let's not forget his turn as Commander J.J. Adams in "Forbidden Planet", or playing Debbie Reynolds' love interest in "Tammy and the Bachelor".

RIP, and thank you for the good memories.

Wow, this is really sad news. It's staggering to think of how many times he must have made people laugh during his life. RIP, Leslie...thanks for everything!

PS. I sure hope Jesus speaks Jive.

:(

Complications from pneumonia??? That's no way to die...

“A parachute not opening… that’s a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine… having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that’s the way I wanna go!”

- Lt. Frank Drebin

From his NY Times obit -

In keeping with his adopted comic persona, when Mr. Nielsen in 1993 published an autobiography, “Naked Truth,” it was one that cheerfully, blatantly fabricated events in his life.

They included two Academy Awards, an affair with Elizabeth Taylor and a stay at a rehabilitation center, battling dopey-joke addiction.

link

Hard to imagine anyone not liking his style of comedy - I thought the short-lived ' Police Squad ' TV-series (the basis for the Naked Gun movies) was some of the funniest and most clever comedy ever.

Leslie Nielsen’s Genius Extended Far Beyond Silly Gags

RIP, Drebin.

Edited by The Senator

And the last thing he said to me, "Doc," he said, "Sometime when the crew is up against it and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go out there with all they've got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good. That's for sure."

-Dr Rumack, Airplane!

A bit of trivia: Christopher Lee was offered the role of Dr. Rumack (Airplane) before Leslie Neilsen.

Wow, the kung fu guy would not have been nearly as funny in delivering those lines.

RIP

Well, I don't have anything to say, you've done the best you could. You really have, the best you could. You can't expect to win em all. But, I want to tell you something I've kept to myself through these years. I was in the war myself, medical corps. I was on late duty one night when they brought in a badly wounded pilot from one of the raids. He could barely talk. He looked at me and said, "The odds were against us up there, but we went in anyway, I'm glad the Captain made the right decision." The pilot's name was George Zip.

Ted Striker: George Zip said that?

Rumack: The last thing he said to me, "Doc," he said, "some time when the crew is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."