Simulated Draft--

Astrobot

Dear Santa,

All I want is Cameron Newton as a Buffalo Bill..

LOL!

No seriously after that Bama game how can you really hate on the kid I mean C'MON. If Luck is gone we need CAM he's a winner something we currently don't have on this team...

Shhh I secretly would be happy if the Bills took him in the second but I can't say that as it would ruin my credibility.

The problem isn't his throwing motion it's his footwork. I think Chan and team could straighten out the footwork while Fitzy starts.

The kid is special but is risky. The Buffalo media would stir up a controversy faster than you can fry up a chicken finger sub at Jim's steakout.

Quinn and Newton is like drafting TNT twice it could be highly explosive. Which could be a good thing or bad thing if it's not handeled properly.

Your thinking on Newton doesn't make sense to me. He is steadily going to be moving up the chart. I realize I will be skewered for my opinion but I would take him with our first pick and then move on from there. In my view it is imperative that we get our long-term franchise qb on board as soon as possible.

Take note on my opinion on Newton. After Luck Newton is going to be the next qb taken. You noted that after the Alabama/Auburn game that Newton's value would decline-I beg to differ. His value will increase.

I'm glad you're not the Bills GM drafting Newton with 1st is a worse idea than taking Quinn with the first.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he didnt win that game for Auburn, at least not as a QB. maybe as a RB. but if anyone gets the win, its Fairley and the rest of D.

Newton is having 1 good season. Actually about 6 great games. They SHOULD win the SEC Champ, and National Champ. But even if they do, you dont look at Newton any earlier than round 2. The kid is a HUGE project, and doesnt have the character that the last huge QB project (Tebow) does. If you're choosing someone based mostly on them being a "Winner", they need to have won A LOT, and over at least a couple of seasons.

If you draft Newton at #3 overall, and give him that contract, he'll be busier spending his money with Maybin than learning the game.

I mean his passes were on point that 4th and 3 post-out pass was crisp and on target but I guess you blinked on that pass huh? His legs are a plus but the arm is there he has the energy and leadership ablilites. There's things im unsure of like his ability to read a defense but theres always gonna be something to be unsure of. He's a winner from HS to that junior college title and he's killing it in college at a high level I mean whats the problem. you can't really use that one year idea sorry.

I think Newton's stock went up after this game, too. I would definitely take him in the second round if we got a stud DL in the first (I don't see a LB worth it drafting that high, unless we fall to #9 or 10. I havent seen Quinn enough to make a real judgment on him but the stats in those big games is an eye opener. Also, they would have to do a lot of homework on Newton to see if he has the mental capacity to be a cerebral QB, too. I'm not worried about his arm or throwing or mechanics. His footwork can be taught. He's got a cannon and he throws like an NFL QB needs to. This isn't Vince Young or Tebow where you're going to have to change him.

Quinn and Newton is like drafting TNT twice it could be highly explosive. Which could be a good thing or bad thing if it's not handeled properly.

I'm glad you're not the Bills GM drafting Newton with 1st is a worse idea than taking Quinn with the first.

Just out of curiosity, how many games have you seen Quinn play? And if you happen to remember, do you remember which game it was?

Just out of curiosity, how many games have you seen Quinn play? And if you happen to remember, do you remember which game it was?

I've seen 0 games. I don't watch ACC football, that would be like poking my eyes with a fork repeatedly.

I have watched about 15 different Quinn clips.

Did you see how he performed last week? How about the week before? He is really developing his chip dip techniques on the couch.

Why you would draft a huge risk like that over a less risky Clayborn or Dareus, which I have seen play in many games because they play in legitimate football conferences, is beyond me. It is a horrible idea.

The point is this franchise can't take another whiff with their first round pick. You can not deny that there is a GIGANTIC amount of risk drafting a player that has been sitting around the dorm room the months leading up to the draft as opposed to playing and getting better.

However just like TNT the power can be used for good, but it is very risky. Quinn is going to fall like Randy Moss if not further.

he didnt win that game for Auburn, at least not as a QB. maybe as a RB. but if anyone gets the win, its Fairley and the rest of D.

Thats not a fair assessment Dr. He had some nice throws and really got most of his rushing yards on 1 play.

Alabama was committed to making him beat them with his arm

This is his stat line incase you didn't see the game:

13/20 216yards passing 65.0% 3TDs 22 carries for 39yards 1.8 ypc 12yards is the longest 1TD

I did and I'd be suprised that anyone that watched the game would say that.

Yeah Fairly was a beast.

He is a huge reason Auburn was able to come back. His red zone play, changed the outcome of the game including the strip, sack, fumble + fumble recovery!

If the Bills are in a 4-3 with Kyle and Fairley or a 3-4 with Fairly at a DE, and this is going to sound crazy at first Kyle at the otherDE, and more of big body run stuffer NT, that would be a pretty sick 3-4 D-Line that would free up LBs for 1-1s or 1onRBsorTEs.

I don't think Fairley projects well to a 3-4 DE but he can also play DT in a 4-3 like he does now. I think he is talented enough to play either position.

On a 3-4 where do you put Kyle? I don't think he would thrive at NT like he is at DT. 3-4 DE would seem to be a better fit?

I just can't understand why we would even consider changing his position when he is having a Pro-Bowl caliber year on a pretty bad defense. Why can't we appreciate what we have when its good?

I just can't understand why we would even consider changing his position when he is having a Pro-Bowl caliber year on a pretty bad defense. Why can't we appreciate what we have when its good?

I'm not the Defensive coordinator. I'm not consider changing the D alignment.

I would keep a 4-3 next year.

The question is if Edwards wants to try the conversion to a 3-4 again, I assume that is the end state for his scheme.

The Bills presently don't have a legitimate long-term franchise on its current roster. Fitz is a mediocre starting qb and a very good backup qb. If your aspirations are for the historically bad Bills to elevate themselves up to being a mediocre franchise then keep Fitz as your starting qb.

Fitz would make an excellent bridge qb for the next couple of years for a more talented qb to work himself into the starting position. Few teams are serious contenders without a very talented qb. Until that caliber of qb is identified and acquired the Bills will be what they are: an irrelevant team.

Ideally, if we couldn't get Luck I would love to be able to trade down and then get Newton with a lower first round pick. As I stated to Astrobot I'm very confident that Newton will be moving up the draft charts as the draft evaluation period advances.

I think Newton's stock went up after this game, too. I would definitely take him in the second round if we got a stud DL in the first (I don't see a LB worth it drafting that high, unless we fall to #9 or 10. I havent seen Quinn enough to make a real judgment on him but the stats in those big games is an eye opener. Also, they would have to do a lot of homework on Newton to see if he has the mental capacity to be a cerebral QB, too. I'm not worried about his arm or throwing or mechanics. His footwork can be taught. He's got a cannon and he throws like an NFL QB needs to. This isn't Vince Young or Tebow where you're going to have to change him.

Agree with everything you are saying. D-line first, QB second. The laptop incident makes me wonder about Newton's brain though!

Picks one and two are a disaster. Newton is NOT an NFL QB. You can't run the QB Wildcat-style option in the NFL. If we draft a QB can we draft someone who we don't have to teach how to play his position in the NFL?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Bills presently don't have a legitimate long-term franchise on its current roster. Fitz is a mediocre starting qb and a very good backup qb. If your aspirations are for the historically bad Bills to elevate themselves up to being a mediocre franchise then keep Fitz as your starting qb.

Fitz would make an excellent bridge qb for the next couple of years for a more talented qb to work himself into the starting position. Few teams are serious contenders without a very talented qb. Until that caliber of qb is identified and acquired the Bills will be what they are: an irrelevant team.

Ideally, if we couldn't get Luck I would love to be able to trade down and then get Newton with a lower first round pick. As I stated to Astrobot I'm very confident that Newton will be moving up the draft charts as the draft evaluation period advances.

Taking Newton in the top 10 is exactly how you make sure he is an unsuccessful QB in the NFL, imo.

He needs at least a year to learn before he is ready for the NFL, and needs to earn a big deal instead of getting handed one by default, again imo.

Buddy Nix was part of one of the last executive teams that was able to sit a top 10 QB for an entire year with Rivers. Maybe Nix could make this happen but when a franchise takes a QB in the Top 10 and gives them 25-50 million in guaranteed money there is a huge amount of pressure to put them on the field immediately and I don't think anyone would say Newton is ready to start in the NFL week 1 2011. Thats the kind of QB you take with a top10 pick.

Tennessee could take Newton in the mid 1st, thats the earliest I see him going.

I hope that a team is willing to follow the Jets model and wants to trade up to get Prince or Patrick Peterson and the Bills are able to make a trade and parlay that into additional picks.

However Fairly is a beast and if he is there when the Bills pick it would be hard to trade out, I would feel OK passing on Clayborn or Dareaus if you can get Akeem Ayers or Von Miller in the mid first.

But there is a lot of football to be played and maybe we pick #9-#11 anyway and "reach" a little on Ayers or Miller there anyway.

The hype around the 2 corners can work to the Bills benefit as far as possible trades go.

Picks one and two are a disaster. Newton is NOT an NFL QB. You can't run the QB Wildcat-style option in the NFL. If we draft a QB can we draft someone who we don't have to teach how to play his position in the NFL?

PTR

Cam Newton will not be a wildcat qb in the NFL. He has an NFL arm with the necessary touch.

Most drafted qbs take some time to develop. There are only a few who can come in and make an immediate impact. As I have told Astrobot Cam Newton will steadily make a climb up the draft boards. My preference is to take Luck if he is available. That is improbable for a number of reasons.

If Buddy Nix believes that Newton can be a franchise qb then he needs to take him. If he can maneuver down in the draft somewhat and get him at a lower range (still first round) then that would be a better case scenario than taking him high in the first round. When all is said and done I believe Newton is going to be the second qb taken in this draft. Just wait and see.

I cannot believe people want to draft Quinn and Newton. Quinn is a one year wonder who would have to convert to OLB in the NFL (Maybin 2.0). Newton is a run first QB with only 1 year of big time college experience. Newton is the flavor of the month. Wasting our 1st two picks on guys like Quinn and Newton is how you stay mediocre. We have several holes on this team and people are actually advocating taking these guys? I.... just..... don't..... understand..... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Cam Newton is a talent way beyond Tebow. The comparison to Tebow is a joke. Cam has an accurate arm and throws for alot of TD's. He is in a different league. Bigger, faster and stronger then Vince Young. The comparison being they are both WINNERS. If you watch him play, you know. Cam Newton in the 2nd round would be a great pick. Nick Fairley is a game changer, I want him hitting Brady and Sanchez. Fairley in the first and Newton in the second has my vote.

Cam Newton is a talent way beyond Tebow. The comparison to Tebow is a joke. Cam has an accurate arm and throws for alot of TD's. He is in a different league. Bigger, faster and stronger then Vince Young. The comparison being they are both WINNERS. If you watch him play, you know. Cam Newton in the 2nd round would be a great pick. Nick Fairley is a game changer, I want him hitting Brady and Sanchez. Fairley in the first and Newton in the second has my vote.

Cam Newton has won nothing. Saying he is a winner is laughable.