Should Nix Trade Spiller?

DFITZ1

A Rochester D&C article alluded that Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller because they didn't realize how good Fred Jackson is (I presume they knew Lynch was going to go). Assuming we have more need positions than draft or FA signings can fill, would it make sense to trade Spiller? Naturally, it would have to be the right deal, but considering we need a DT, OT, LB, TE, QB (franchise, that is), it might be a viable option. If we could get a #1 or #2 pick, or perhaps a player for player swap for one of the need positions, it might get us one step closer to playoffs in 2011. Trading for a quality TE would help the offense immensely.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Rochester D&C article alluded that Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller because they didn't realize how good Fred Jackson is (I presume they knew Lynch was going to go). Assuming we have more need positions than draft or FA signings can fill, would it make sense to trade Spiller? Naturally, it would have to be the right deal, but considering we need a DT, OT, LB, TE, QB (franchise, that is), it might be a viable option. If we could get a #1 or #2 pick, or perhaps a player for player swap for one of the need positions, it might get us one step closer to playoffs in 2011. Trading for a quality TE would help the offense immensely.

What? for a 3rd or 4th round pick? He has no value beyond that because no one has seen what he can do yet. No way...You keep him and later you trade him when he has proven value...or you dont. You wont get the ninth pick in round #1 ever for him....

This makes no sense at all. In any trade scenario it is highly unlikely that the Bills get value. They only received a 4th for Lynch who was, arguably, a proven NFL RB. Spiller has potential but so far has not been stellar on the field.

As soon as they traded spiller, jackson would go down with an injury and everyone on this board would complain about how stupid nix was for trading him. So, to save bandwidth, no, they shouldn't trade them

Edited by Buckeye Eric

should have never drafted him. I would trade him for a player in the league because you never no what you will get in the draft. But I don't think any of this will happen so we should transform into a motion back/receiver like Welker/Wooddhead. He is never going be every-down back that can run between the tackles so he was a wasted pick as #9 in the first. :thumbdown:

Spiller has looked good when he has gotten chances. He stopped dancing around like he did early in the season and has looked sharp when he's was spelling Jackson. Jackson is also on the wrong side of 30 and probably only has a few good seasons left. Not to mention, if they're going to an 18 game schedule next season, you are going to need at the very least two feature backs just to get through a season. I like what I've seen from Spiller, and would like to see him used more in the passing game when he returns.

Glad you're not the gm then. On what planet would the Bills get a 1st or 2nd round pick for a rookie rb who hasn't established any value yet given his lack of touches? Come on man.

Check the post, a draft choice is just one option. The other (and I will admit more viable) option is a player for player swap. That would be the best chance to get equal value, just at another position. Player for player swaps are rare nowadays.

Frankly, the Bills should wish I was GM long ago. I've wanted more draft picks in the trenches (DL or OL) for the last 10 years, and only now the "experts" (media, that is) have recognized what I've said all along that this game is won and lost in the trenches. On offense, we're better off, but need tackle and TE upgrades. On defense, Williams is the only consistent performer (and if I were GM, I would not give Kelsey 6M/yr, nor would I have had Pat Williams walk), so we need one or 2 DE's plus LB help. The only "glut" of talent we have is RB. If that can be turned into an upgrade in one these positions, it might work out.

The Lynch trade does prove the point many posters made that Spiller hasn't established enough value to warrant a trade for a high draft pick, unless we find a team more desparate than we are for immediate talent.

I might not even want me as gm, but TD and Levy made moves that even I knew weren't going to help. I hoped I was wrong, but wasn't.

You answered yourself as far as your other "option" goes - how often do u see player for player trades? And what kind of player are you going to get for spiller at this point? Where are these great tight ends lying around that their present teams are itching to get rid of? How would Nix look if he traded away his very first pick after one year?

These are questions. You're a dumbass.

You answered yourself as far as your other "option" goes - how often do u see player for player trades? And what kind of player are you going to get for spiller at this point? Where are these great tight ends lying around that their present teams are itching to get rid of? How would Nix look if he traded away his very first pick after one year?

These are questions. You're a dumbass.

Hey - I'm NOT the gm! And if you're so smart, why aren't you. I just presented a possible option to improve this dreary team. I have more important things to do in my life than examine each and every team for possible player trade, especially since I can't make the trade anyway.

You may want to call me names, but after seeing the numerous high impact players the Bills have passed on in drafts over the years, I sure hope you're calling Modrak, Donahoe, Levy (though a great coach) and others who are highly paid to do what we just post about, names that are far worse.

How about instead of trading away top 10 talent picks...you allow for the bills to get more draft picks to rebiuld this team......

As much as people cant stand it....the bills needed a year like this where they end up not running middle of the road and get a top 5 pick. They will draft well enough next year that they will be able to get players to help on the defensive side of the ball.

What you are posting is nonsense.

Without even checking I'll bet it was Bob Matthews that wrote that gem. If Its not horse racing or soccer he's lost. Spiller was drafted for the future. He is a weapon that will come into his own when the O-line improves. You want Nix to build a team but can't understand when things don't pop instantly.

PTR