Should Nix Trade Spiller?

DFITZ1

First, unless you post nonsense (or wild ideas), you get little response from this forum so what's the use in posting something logical?

I got to partly disagree here. One thing that keeps me on this board is the quality of the discussion, people who see a good post and make a thoughtful response.

I do have to agree, a thoughtful post is likely to draw maybe a dozen responses not pages and pages. So if your goal in life is to have everyone on the board pig-pile on, then yeah, post silliness like "trade Spiller".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez relax :) Spiller is a rookie who is second on the depth chart behind a solid starter. There is no rush here. Look at Steve Johnson. I know he wasnt a 1st round pick but look at his production now after a few years.

Spiller will be great given time. He still needs to work on his pass blocking.

I am not worried at all. I think by the time Jackson is done in Buffalo (or is on the downside of his career) Spiller will be ready to go and step in without any problems

What Figo here said.

The cool thing Spiller states a great attitude that college to NFL is a bigger step than HS to college and he's working hard to make that step and get better.

A Rochester D&C article alluded that Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller because they didn't realize how good Fred Jackson is (I presume they knew Lynch was going to go). Assuming we have more need positions than draft or FA signings can fill, would it make sense to trade Spiller? Naturally, it would have to be the right deal, but considering we need a DT, OT, LB, TE, QB (franchise, that is), it might be a viable option. If we could get a #1 or #2 pick, or perhaps a player for player swap for one of the need positions, it might get us one step closer to playoffs in 2011. Trading for a quality TE would help the offense immensely.

It is like the stupid kid in the neighborhood, the one who always traded away his best stuff, and almost as soon as he got it, because he had no clue and no direction. I made a lot of good deals with him! (Wanta trade your 20 best aggots for that pretty blue marble that you like? Let me know...)

Don't let your mom know, please!

this is crazy talk. fred is 30 and probably has 2 more seasons in him at this kinda level[max]. spiller is a young guy who will be the feature back.

Exactly. Unless they can get close to 9th overall value for Spiller--which won't happen--it would be a bad idea to trade Spiller away. Like you said, Jackson is going to decline in a few years. If Spiller is gone when that happens, the Bills would decide they "needed" another first round RB.

The only way to stop the hemorrhaging of first round picks on the RB position is to keep the talented RBs we have for as long as possible.