Anyone own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata

zevo

I am also looking at VW Jetta TDI

I have two friends who recently acquired (1 bought, 1 leased) VW CCs. The guy who leased turned in his 3-year old Cadillac CTS. Both of them love the car. I have to admit I was very impressed with how it looks, especially the interior, which is quite slick.

Edited by The Dean

I don't own a Hyndai Sonata nor do I know anyone that currently owns one, but...

I know somebody who currently owns a Hundayi Santa Fei and previously owned a Sonata, and never had a problem with either

A local car critic Ed Wallace on 570AM in the Dallas Fort Worth area has high marks for the car. He may have some reviews online @ 570 that could give you some more info.

Hyundai is building an excellent reputation for quality and durability. VW, not so much. Check out their electric systems and their cabin switches and surfaces. My son has an Elantra with about 150k miles on it. Pretty much only put brakes and tires on it. I've owned two Audi A6 and will never buy another. They look sweet and ride like an absolute dream, but they just don't hold up. My 2¢.

Hyundai is building an excellent reputation for quality and durability. VW, not so much. Check out their electric systems and their cabin switches and surfaces. My son has an Elantra with about 150k miles on it. Pretty much only put brakes and tires on it. I've owned two Audi A6 and will never buy another. They look sweet and ride like an absolute dream, but they just don't hold up. My 2¢.

What did you replace the Audis with? I have a 10 year old A4 with 113k miles on it, I've spent over $5k this year in repairs, the AC is shot, it's leaking oil & the cam adjuster is going. The door molding is bad too. I'm probably headed to the Mercedes dealer within a few weeks, maybe even this week & I'm curious what your take on Mercedes is.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

I'm probably headed to the Mercedes dealer within a few weeks, maybe even this week & I'm curious what your take on Mercedes is.

I give mercedes terrible marks ... bought my wife an SLK 350 3 years ago... fun car to drive but very high cost of ownership. Mercedes charges out the arze for even simple, routine maintenance. I also just hate the "look and feel" of their instrumentation and interior layout. She wanted the two seater convertible so badly that I broke down and got it for her ... we still have it but eventually it will be sold and I will not get a mercedes ever again.

We just bought an Infinity EX 35 ... don't even have 100 miles on it yet.. but love how it looks, drives and feels.

Edited by BuffaloBill

I know a dude that used to own Jetta and he wasn't thrilled with the warranty/service

Not saying a Jetta is good or bad, just what I have heard from a previous owner

The only dudes I've know that owned a Jetta were women.

I give mercedes terrible marks ... bought my wife an SLK 350 3 years ago... fun car to drive but very high cost of ownership. Mercedes charges out the arze for even simple, routine maintenance. I also just hate the "look and feel" of their instrumentation and interior layout. She wanted the two seater convertible so badly that I broke down and got it for her ... we still have it but eventually it will be sold and I will not get a mercedes ever again.

We just bought an Infinity EX 35 ... don't even have 100 miles on it yet.. but love how it looks, drives and feels.

I lease my BMW and I pay nothing for maintenance. Everything is included except tires. I had a guy come out and tint the windows right after I bought it. and he cut the seal around the windows. He wouldn't admit he did anything. I told him you used a razor to cut the tinting and right afterwords the seal around the window is cut on two of the windows. That's a pretty amazing coincidence. Well he still wouldn't admit any guilt. So I took it to the BMW dealer to get fixed and was going to take the guy to small claims. I picked up my car from the dealer and asked how much. He told me "don't worry about it." Now THAT"S service.

So are you saying you hang with trannys? :unsure:

My wife owns a 2009 BMW and yes the service is top notch. I dont believe in spending 40k+ for an automobile. To each their own.

What did you replace the Audis with? I have a 10 year old A4 with 113k miles on it, I've spent over $5k this year in repairs, the AC is shot, it's leaking oil & the cam adjuster is going. The door molding is bad too. I'm probably headed to the Mercedes dealer within a few weeks, maybe even this week & I'm curious what your take on Mercedes is.

One with the other and that last one with an Acura TL AWD.

AWD Audis have THE best ride IMHO. I ride with my azz, if you know what I mean. You're married to the road in an Audi. Absolutely the most comfortable hoad-hugging ride in an auto, in my view.

We noticed on both of them that the steering wheel started to crumble, the window switches on the doors and the button/pads on the dash were wearing away, like someone had washed them hard in solvents. It happened to both of them. That was purely cosmetic. I hit a dear with the first A6 and it never was the same after that. Got another one and loved it - till it started getting flaky on me. The coils went - on three different occasions. Ended up getting them all replaced with a recall - but it ruined two vacations. Last summer we gave up on it when the check engine light went on for the fourth time (it was either both catalytic converters and/or the sensors). We traded it in on the Acura which is also an AWD 6 cylinder. The ride is second to an A6 - but not by much and we're loving it.

As for the Mercedes, we considered them. Went to two C-Spot Drive parties over the last four years or so. I was impressed with them, and they have AWD models - fourmatic I think they call it. The drives were a hoot. First one was at the Englishtown, NJ raceway - where they have the National drag racing championships. They let people drive through a few courses - one of which was wet down and a plastic sheet was laid down and fire hosed over. I could not make the car slip, slide nor skid and I was impressed. Overall though, the C class is smaller and we liked the A6 size better.

My take on most of the German cars are that they are mechanically very fine, but they seem a bit chintzy on things like the surfaces in the cabin and the electronics.

Don't know if any of this helps at all. Go test drive 'em all.

Wifey's from Slingerlands, by the way.

I lease my BMW and I pay nothing for maintenance. Everything is included except tires. I had a guy come out and tint the windows right after I bought it. and he cut the seal around the windows. He wouldn't admit he did anything. I told him you used a razor to cut the tinting and right afterwords the seal around the window is cut on two of the windows. That's a pretty amazing coincidence. Well he still wouldn't admit any guilt. So I took it to the BMW dealer to get fixed and was going to take the guy to small claims. I picked up my car from the dealer and asked how much. He told me "don't worry about it." Now THAT"S service.

The CFO in my company has a 3 series - he loves it but admits that he has had a number of nagging issues with it. He has the same all inclusive service but claims he will dump it once it ends.

I agree that the replacement of window seals is outstanding service. I used to get that kind of attention from the Acura dealer in Knoxville, TN. I am not so much a fan of Acura's new models. The legend I owned at the time was the best car I have ever had - put 225K miles on the thing before trading it in. Never did anything to it other than standard maintenance.

Daughter in law bought a limited version. Pearl white. Nice car for the money. Outstanding 4 cylinder.

the 4 cylinder turbo on the genesis coupe starts at $22000. that seems an outstanding value to me. if i were trading i'd look at this car first.

Audi's like I have are hard riding and stiff. I have the Quattro version. My next ride will be little less stiff.

i leased one of the first TT's delivered to my local dealer. very fun car that turned heads and i really liked it but had some electrical problems even in 2 years. when i handed it in Audi held back $200 of my deposit for scratches UNDER the car. will never buy/lease another Audi or VW.

Edited by birdog1960

Audi's like I have are hard riding and stiff. I have the Quattro version. My next ride will be little less stiff.

I have an 99.5 1.8t A4 Quattro that is literally slammed (speed bumps are hell) and the ride is still smooth as butter. Granted, it has a premium coilover suspension on it, but lowered cars usually ride alot rougher than mine. It has 139k on it and the only problems I have had with it are with the turbo (that is far from stock and pushes 23-24 lbs of boost) and that has no bearing on Audi's manufacturing. I have always owned German vehicles, and while they can be cranky at times, I absolutely love the Autobahn-inspired engineering.

My office mate just got the 2011 Sonata a couple months ago. She loves it, though there was a recall, something to do with the steering.

As for the Jetta, I had a 2002. First year they had moved production to Mexico. Had a lot of electrical problems. From what others on this string have said it sounds like they have since fixed those problems but I'll never own another VW. Currently have an 07 Civic. No problems (first year of the new body style, often times this leads to a recall or two.)