What was Whitner thinking???

jabtot

Was watching the replay of Johnson's 4th quarter touchdown, and wondering just what

Donte Whitner was thinking about on his coverage duties.

Johnson was singled up on Pozlusny,which should have thrown up a major red flag to

any other safety. On top of all that, both receivers on Whitners side cut their routes

off in the first 5 to 10 yrds. Whitner was standing in the end zone and watched Johnson

easily beat Poz off the ball. When Johnson comes free at the 10 yard line, Whitner hesitates.

Why he did'nt break to the ball and receiver is beyond me. Johnson easily catches the ball in the

end zone, and only then does Whitner come up to make a hit...5 yrds into the end zone.

One would think that your safety would want to pick up ANYBODY at maybe the 5 or the goal line.

Watching the video shows that either Whitner was sound asleep on the play, or is just not that good

of a safety. It almost could have cost us the damned game!!

We don't know what Whitner's job was on that play, Maybe his job wasn't to cover the middle of the field, maybe it was Bryd's or nones..I think's its more the defensive corr. fault for putting Poz in a losing situation, coaches always talk about putting there players in winning situations, I don't see Poz covering the best receiver on the field down field as a winning situation.. I'm sure you don't like Whitner which is why you blame him, but how do we know what Whitner's job was on that play..?

We don't know what Whitner's job was on that play, Maybe his job wasn't to cover the middle of the field, maybe it was Bryd's or nones..I think's its more the defensive corr. fault for putting Poz in a losing situation, coaches always talk about putting there players in winning situations, I don't see Poz covering the best receiver on the field down field as a winning situation.. I'm sure you don't like Whitner which is why you blame him, but how do we know what Whitner's job was on that play..?

agreed with this post. in today's NFL, it's impossible to place blame for certain things without knowing the defense that was called and the player's assignment.

Donte had a great game, I know that much from watching. Edwards made suspect calls that entire drive.

Who knows??...

agreed with this post. in today's NFL, it's impossible to place blame for certain things without knowing the defense that was called and the player's assignment.

Donte had a great game, I know that much from watching. Edwards made suspect calls that entire drive.

Who knows??...

Also maybe Poz, should of said, Oh S%^& wait, Time out...! Or looked back and said " hey Donte you see who I'm trying to cover here, how about you roll your coverage towards me and get my back..!"...Or Poz could have yelled over to the Def. Corr, or Chan, and said "is this right"..? I'm sure someone would of said "Hell No Poz.!"..

Anyway I love the Bills and hopefully they see that on film and laugh and say "Next time that happens change the damn defense Poz.>!"...Or whoever...

Also maybe Poz, should of said, Oh S%^& wait, Time out...! Or looked back and said " hey Donte you see who I'm trying to cover here, how about you roll your coverage towards me and get my back..!"...Or Poz could have yelled over to the Def. Corr, or Chan, and said "is this right"..? I'm sure someone would of said "Hell No Poz.!"..

Anyway I love the Bills and hopefully they see that on film and laugh and say "Next time that happens change the damn defense Poz.>!"...Or whoever...

Just so you know - if Poz had called time out - it would have been a 15 yard penalty. You can't call consecutive time outs without an intervening play.

As to the actual play - SOMEBODY f-d up and it wasn't Poz - no way SHOULD the coverage have been him on Johnson by himself. So either the DC screwed up or a specific player blew the coverage.

I watched that play again. It looked like Donte did not even notice it until it was to late. He was following the outside route and as soon as the QB threw the ball he tried getting to Megatron, but it was to late. I dont know if he was supposed to cover him, but it did look like he made an mistake.

Edited by b stein 22

What POZ should've done in that scenario was call his own number and launch an unabated blitzkrieg on Shaun Hill, whilst leaping into the air and raining down a SteveStojan storm on Hill the likes of which had never been seen before.

Just so you know - if Poz had called time out - it would have been a 15 yard penalty. You can't call consecutive time outs without an intervening play.

As to the actual play - SOMEBODY f-d up and it wasn't Poz - no way SHOULD the coverage have been him on Johnson by himself. So either the DC screwed up or a specific player blew the coverage.

Not only can you not call consecutive time outs, the Bills had used their last time out.

The only thing Poz could have done was tackle him and get called for holding.

i dont know what was called there watching the link. Byrd was lined up on the other side of the field and rolls to the top of the screen covering the reciever at the goal line. it looks like whitner is lined up at the line almost next to poz. i am not sure the call there, but resulted in a burnt poz and whitner caught underneith, with byrd playing overtop the other reciever in the endzone. it looks likes either byrd made the wrong read, or maybe a safety blitz that whitner pulled up on and dropped into coverage, and poz was beat. but that doesnt make much sense since whitner was rolling over to the bottom of the screen doubling which ever reciever that was. it looks like a blown coverage call to me.

Using the quote from Hill:

""That was a well-designed play by (offensive coordinator) Scott Linehan," Hill said. "It was designed to get him isolated on the middle linebacker and that's exactly what happened."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101114/SPORTS0101/11140331/Sloppy-Lions-outdo-themselves--lose-25th-straight-on-road#ixzz15OM6Mmkd

This would appear to be just a good call at the right time by the Lions. (Other teams do watch film on the Bills)+

I know finding fault on Donte is the in thing here, but this one doesn't look like Whitners fault.

Kinda makes you wonder about past games and the middle being open.

Edited by Aplusfool

When I look at the video, It looks like the Bills were in a cover 2 zone dime. McK looked to be on CJ but outside when they motioned CJ inside, looked like dime cover 2 zone which usually has the MLB (the only LB on the field) covering the middle.

After the snap 85 picked up Scott and Best out to the flat sucked in McKelvin (probably the second option depending on the read). As it was 4th and 2 at the 22 Whitner, I guess cheats toward the sideline maybe expecting a short sideline completion for a first down and clock stop, it WAS 4th and two remember. From there Poz was 1 on 1 and only an incredible play by Poz or horrible throw would have prevented a TD. Whitner doesn't get there in time unless he guesses where the ball is going before the pass and leaves the sideline open.

I agree with a lot of posters here where maybe you allow them a completion but prevent the home run by going cover 3-man and line your best on their best with cushion, if they move the chains so be it. Clock keeps ticking.

Detroit made a heck of a play call and Buffalo made a poor one.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think that the play was designed just like Hill said. In that situation, 4th and 2 time running out, the defense is naturally going to give up the middle of the field. The Lions made a gutsy call by Motioning Johnson inside betting on the safeties rolling to the sidelines. The game was going to be decided on that play. They put all their eggs in Johnson getting free and Pos making a step forward, as any good LB would do naturally on 4th and short. After that it was easy pitch and catch, but if Poz stepped back, or Mckelvin goes with Johnson and rolls Whitner to the outside receiver, maybe its different. It was a gamble by Detroit, and it paid off. Nice play. No defensive fault, just a well designed play.

I think that the play was designed just like Hill said. In that situation, 4th and 2 time running out, the defense is naturally going to give up the middle of the field. The Lions made a gutsy call by Motioning Johnson inside betting on the safeties rolling to the sidelines. The game was going to be decided on that play. They put all their eggs in Johnson getting free and Pos making a step forward, as any good LB would do naturally on 4th and short. After that it was easy pitch and catch, but if Poz stepped back, or Mckelvin goes with Johnson and rolls Whitner to the outside receiver, maybe its different. It was a gamble by Detroit, and it paid off. Nice play. No defensive fault, just a well designed play.

Hill made alot of completions over the middle yesterday. Sigh.

Poz was on Sirius today with Tim Ryan/Pat Kirwan and they asked him about that play. He said their LB coach today told him "that's a tough play", meaning trying to cover anyone especially Calvin Johnson running down the middle of the field. When asked what he would do differently next time, he said he'd try to get a hand on him at the snap, and then try to turn and run with him knowing that he SHOULD have safety help deep.

Edited by DanInSouthBuffalo

Ill pass the blame around, Edwards for not making Calvin Johnson priority #1 in his defensive coverage (or did he), Poz for letting him get a free realease of the line of scrimmage (You know you cant run with him so you either get depth fast or jam him @ the line) and Whitner drifting back towards a player who is not Calvin Johnson (this is Detroits best player if not one of the best players in the league and were not going to key on him when the games on the line?? Whats really frustrating is that out of this young team these 2 are actually the veterans.

Using the quote from Hill:

""That was a well-designed play by (offensive coordinator) Scott Linehan," Hill said. "It was designed to get him isolated on the middle linebacker and that's exactly what happened."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101114/SPORTS0101/11140331/Sloppy-Lions-outdo-themselves--lose-25th-straight-on-road#ixzz15OM6Mmkd

This would appear to be just a good call at the right time by the Lions. (Other teams do watch film on the Bills)+

Bingo. It was a great design called on the perfect down/distance. Watching Johnson come inside and then that instant traffic exploding from the slot right at the snap made me pucker before Hill even hit his drop. It was beautiful football.

Was watching the replay of Johnson's 4th quarter touchdown, and wondering just what

Donte Whitner was thinking about on his coverage duties.

Johnson was singled up on Pozlusny,which should have thrown up a major red flag to

any other safety. On top of all that, both receivers on Whitners side cut their routes

off in the first 5 to 10 yrds. Whitner was standing in the end zone and watched Johnson

easily beat Poz off the ball. When Johnson comes free at the 10 yard line, Whitner hesitates.

Why he did'nt break to the ball and receiver is beyond me. Johnson easily catches the ball in the

end zone, and only then does Whitner come up to make a hit...5 yrds into the end zone.

One would think that your safety would want to pick up ANYBODY at maybe the 5 or the goal line.

Watching the video shows that either Whitner was sound asleep on the play, or is just not that good

of a safety. It almost could have cost us the damned game!!

Good post ... I thought that is what I saw but I didn't have time to replay the game ...

Makes you wonder why this defense isn't on top of the ball ... lost opportunities and Whitner (even though he had a decent game) never seems able to catch the ball.