There seems to be an abundance of pessimistic sarcasm on this board

Pilsner

I've read some crap being called on Fitz. He's playing his heart and ass off for our team. Not much more can be asked of him. Now our D needs to step up and hold up it's end. Whether it's our lack of D talent and/or DC is up for debate. But Fitz has awakened a slumbering O. It's finally coherent now and learning it's steps.

Some here relish in looking for the negatives of our team and FO. We have some players on our team who give it their all no matter what the odds. They are the ones worthy of being leaders for our Bills. As fans, as people, can we say the same? Man up fans. I've been upset about our FO about some questionable calls, but it's only halfway thru the season and I'm giving Nix and Gailey time to prove themselves. (I'm assuming Nix has the damn Guts and Balls to tell Ralph to keep out of their team calls for the time being).

Seriously if i was in a foxhole in rl, I would only want about 20% of you in it with me. Man up fans and quit being such babies. We all want our Bills to get better, we all want our FO to actually do something, we all want Ralph to keeps his hands off, but some of your damn pessimism pisses me the hell off sometimes.

When I think of Buffalo Fans I think of Hard Core people who have the mindset of winning and never giving up no matter what the circumstances. I became a fan in 1987. About 18 years later I finally met my first fellow Bills fan.

Being critical of the FO is fine with me. I've been there myself. In fact they've pissed me off in the past. I've been a realistic optimist. Some of you however wallow in trashing our team however you can. To you I say, prolonged pessimism breads itself.

There is a certain bread of players that has the mentality to make it to the NFL. They're all extreme athletes, most have determination to succeed. Some cruise on their talent alone, most on desire to better their lives and make something of themselves. I honestly wish we all as fans had the same desire and determination to make the most of our situations.

Pessimism when overdone just honestly gets OLD. I'd rather have a team built on less talented optimists than more talented pessimists. Ideally tho I'd have our team full blown built up of talented optimists. I've been pessimistic plenty about things in life, but when I see you guys as fans being so down on our team it damn well pisses me off.

There are many here who's posts I thoroughly enjoy. Some guzzle koolaid, some are optimistic realists. I even try to gain some insight from the pessimistic troll. Pessimism only goes so far tho. Realism is where it's at with a big dash of optimism.

Go Bills!!

Go ahead naysayers, flame away. It'll just show me who's not worthy of sharing a foxhole.

Mmm breaded pessimism.

But anyhow, I disagree with your premise that voicing your frustration with the literal worst team (arguably) in Bills history doesn't make you a "man". It was fun when the blind optimists "manned up" before the season and predicted the playoffs, but most can objectively identify the problems with the team.

I suspect your "foxhole" is going to be one less crowded, but I guess I prefer to watch the games (when they aren't blacked out) from the couch.

Cheers!

Mmm breaded pessimism.

But anyhow, I disagree with your premise that voicing your frustration with the literal worst team (arguably) in Bills history doesn't make you a "man". It was fun when the blind optimists "manned up" before the season and predicted the playoffs, but most can objectively identify the problems with the team.

I suspect your "foxhole" is going to be one less crowded, but I guess I prefer to watch the games (when they aren't blacked out) from the couch.

Cheers!

It's fine with me if my foxhole is one less crowded. That person won't be missed. I'm mostly interested in the people who can be counted on. Whether it be a Bills player or fan.

I have no idea how you came to that opinion...

8 and 8 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

(Seriously, WELL-said, Pilsner! :thumbsup: )

Thanks Senator. Some peeps on this board have seriously pissed me off for a while with their damn downer attitudes. Ah well, sum peeps will never find something positive to think about.

Really? your kidding, right? :ph34r:

CJ is a bust, Fitz is what he is (a back up, a good back up but that is all), Chan and Nix don't know what they are doing, Edwards should be fired. The FO needs to be replaced, they haven't drafted well since the 90s. Fred is getting old and tired. Lee isn't a number 1. Poz and Whitner are both terrible. Dick was a better coach infact so was Perry. I want us to go back to cover 2. Would Wilson pass already! Jim Kelly can't be trusted! Merriman is ripping old Ralph off, how did we ever sign the guy, no way in hell we ever see him in a Bills uniform. :wallbash:

Oh and BTW,

Foxholes are over rated.

Just kidding dude,

LOL, nice to see this kind of post, Thanks Pilsner, I stopped even going in the shout box, just bores me to tears lately and during a game itis down right ugly.

thank you well put!!! at this point in our season i would love to go 8-8, it infuriates me to listen to people who want to lose them all so we can get a good draft pick, most drafts the best player (as judged by history) is very rarely the first pick

Count me in your foxhole brother...life is way to short for cynicism or pessimism.

I myself have been a fan since about '89, since I was kid growing up in MA. I was telling my wife the other day that I don't think I've ever rooted for this team as hard as I have this year. I drove up from NJ yesterday to come and root for my 0-8 team in person today. I don't need a medal, and I'm not blind. I am just as frustrated with the ten year playoff drought. But the Bills are my team and I love football, so what's the point of giving up?

I think Fitzy, Gailey, and Nix are guys that are easy to root for. I don't know if Fitz is the long term answer at QB, Gaily as coach, or Nix as GM.

But honestly, who seriously doesn't WANT them to be the answer? They are already here! They are already part of the Bills organization, so I HOPE above all hope that they WILL BE the answer. But who knows?

In the meantime, I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills (unlike Trent Edwards) and I will continue to take the disappointment when they lose and delight in their victories.

Here's hoping to one today...LET'S GO BUFFALO

thank you well put!!! at this point in our season i would love to go 8-8, it infuriates me to listen to people who want to lose them all so we can get a good draft pick, most drafts the best player (as judged by history) is very rarely the first pick

I also don't understand those who want us to lose in order to get a good draft pick, and I wold like to see us win. HOWEVER ...I have not been impressed one whit with the coaching staff up until recently, nor have I been impressed by the team overall, although there is significant improvement after the break (we are still winless).

Having actually been in combat, I'd prefer being in a foxhole with people with their wits about them, their eyes wide open and with a healthy dose of reality. <_<

I've read some crap being called on Fitz. He's playing his heart and ass off for our team. Not much more can be asked of him. Now our D needs to step up and hold up it's end. Whether it's our lack of D talent and/or DC is up for debate. But Fitz has awakened a slumbering O. It's finally coherent now and learning it's steps.

Some here relish in looking for the negatives of our team and FO. We have some players on our team who give it their all no matter what the odds. They are the ones worthy of being leaders for our Bills. As fans, as people, can we say the same? Man up fans. I've been upset about our FO about some questionable calls, but it's only halfway thru the season and I'm giving Nix and Gailey time to prove themselves. (I'm assuming Nix has the damn Guts and Balls to tell Ralph to keep out of their team calls for the time being).

Seriously if i was in a foxhole in rl, I would only want about 20% of you in it with me. Man up fans and quit being such babies. We all want our Bills to get better, we all want our FO to actually do something, we all want Ralph to keeps his hands off, but some of your damn pessimism pisses me the hell off sometimes.

When I think of Buffalo Fans I think of Hard Core people who have the mindset of winning and never giving up no matter what the circumstances. I became a fan in 1987. About 18 years later I finally met my first fellow Bills fan.

Being critical of the FO is fine with me. I've been there myself. In fact they've pissed me off in the past. I've been a realistic optimist. Some of you however wallow in trashing our team however you can. To you I say, prolonged pessimism breads itself.

There is a certain bread of players that has the mentality to make it to the NFL. They're all extreme athletes, most have determination to succeed. Some cruise on their talent alone, most on desire to better their lives and make something of themselves. I honestly wish we all as fans had the same desire and determination to make the most of our situations.

Pessimism when overdone just honestly gets OLD. I'd rather have a team built on less talented optimists than more talented pessimists. Ideally tho I'd have our team full blown built up of talented optimists. I've been pessimistic plenty about things in life, but when I see you guys as fans being so down on our team it damn well pisses me off.

There are many here who's posts I thoroughly enjoy. Some guzzle koolaid, some are optimistic realists. I even try to gain some insight from the pessimistic troll. Pessimism only goes so far tho. Realism is where it's at with a big dash of optimism.

Go Bills!!

Go ahead naysayers, flame away. It'll just show me who's not worthy of sharing a foxhole.

Pils, from all indications that I get you come across as a nice young man and I admire the optimism. Great avatar too. Reminds of a time period back in 1985 ... (thats another story :beer: ).

I would like you to name who the great leaders on this team are. I am curious. One of my complaints is that we lack real leadership on this team and our top drafted players are often mentally weak whenit comes to football and leadership. Not talking about the players that are quotable, or cheerlead, or talk smack. Leadership. Who sets the example by working hard and teaches it on to others? Who makes the big plays when needed? Who fires up the troops when things get tough?

I have a few names. Too few I am afraid. I am interested in your opinion here.

Go Bills!!

I've read some crap being called on Fitz. He's playing his heart and ass off for our team....Seriously if i was in a foxhole in rl, I would only want about 20% of you in it with me....I became a fan in 1987...Go ahead naysayers, flame away. It'll just show me who's not worthy of sharing a foxhole.

Fitz is a good back up quarterback to have on the bench - if he was needed to step in for 4 games, he might be able to go 2-2-0. With his lack of consistent accuracy in his arm, that is all he will ever be, no matter how optimistic you want to be about the guy. If I were him, I would pay Peyton Manning to work with me through as many off seasons as I could to practice throwing the ball over and over and over and over again. But of course I'm not him, so Fitz is what he is.

I don't understand your fox hole takes, and the fact that you brought it up twice makes me laugh. :w00t:

Unless you are in the armed forces or are a vet, and then I will take back my laugh and salute and thank you for your part in protecting our rights to be on this board! :thumbsup:

You became a Bills fan in 1987? Well how incredibly lucky for you! It wasn't too "hard" to remain a die hard Bills fan over the next 14 seasons, now was it?? Let's see, during your first 14 seasons as a Bills fan, they won 6 AFC East Championships, 4 consecutive AFC Championships, but lost 4 consecutive Super Bowls (looking at that one optimistically, as I choose to do, it's hard to imagine any team ever playing in 4 straight SB's again!), and made the playoffs 10 out of those 14 seasons.

Wow, you really suffered your way through those first 14 seasons leading into the 21st century, huh? :oops::nana:

Now, I on the other hand, first became a Bills fan in 1968. Here's my Bills' teams first 14 seasons that I cheered for and became a die hard fan during: They won 1 AFC East Championship, 0 AFC Championships, and made the playoffs 3 out of those 14 seasons.

And oh by the way, the following 5 seasons leading up to your first season as a fan in 1987, I continued to go to all the games and cheer for the Bills despite the fact they "racked up" a 20-53 record, from 1982-1986!

So please excuse some of us older fans that enjoy our sarcasm, negative or otherwise. We feel we've earned it!

Just like Rocky Balboa, the Bills are determined not to go down again. This team looks like it has totally figured it out. After 8 games, they have learned what not to do. I predict they will roll the table from here. It is a fact that some 8 and 8 teams have made the playoffs. This could be the year. Get To The Top Of The First Round Buffalo. You never know we could get Luck_

You don’t have to win to be optimistic. Oh darn I said the word. I may have doomed it all.

Fitz is a good back up quarterback to have on the bench - if he was needed to step in for 4 games, he might be able to go 2-2-0. With his lack of consistent accuracy in his arm, that is all he will ever be, no matter how optimistic you want to be about the guy. If I were him, I would pay Peyton Manning to work with me through as many off seasons as I could to practice throwing the ball over and over and over and over again. But of course I'm not him, so Fitz is what he is.

I don't understand your fox hole takes, and the fact that you brought it up twice makes me laugh. :w00t:

Unless you are in the armed forces or are a vet, and then I will take back my laugh and salute and thank you for your part in protecting our rights to be on this board! :thumbsup:

You became a Bills fan in 1987? Well how incredibly lucky for you! It wasn't too "hard" to remain a die hard Bills fan over the next 14 seasons, now was it?? Let's see, during your first 14 seasons as a Bills fan, they won 6 AFC East Championships, 4 consecutive AFC Championships, but lost 4 consecutive Super Bowls (looking at that one optimistically, as I choose to do, it's hard to imagine any team ever playing in 4 straight SB's again!), and made the playoffs 10 out of those 14 seasons.

Wow, you really suffered your way through those first 14 seasons leading into the 21st century, huh? :oops::nana:

Now, I on the other hand, first became a Bills fan in 1968. Here's my Bills' teams first 14 seasons that I cheered for and became a die hard fan during: They won 1 AFC East Championship, 0 AFC Championships, and made the playoffs 3 out of those 14 seasons.

And oh by the way, the following 5 seasons leading up to your first season as a fan in 1987, I continued to go to all the games and cheer for the Bills despite the fact they "racked up" a 20-53 record, from 1982-1986!

So please excuse some of us older fans that enjoy our sarcasm, negative or otherwise. We feel we've earned it!

Sorry BillsPhan, but unless you were at the old Thruway Plaza to greet the '64 AFL Champions and nearly got crushed trying to get Daryle Lamonica's autograph, you don't qualify as an 'old fan' :beer:

Unless you begged your folks to get you one of these for Christmas...

JC Penny Catalog 1970-pg 216

JC Penny Catalog 1970-pg 217

...and wore it proudly at every neighborhood sandlot pickup game (my brother and I had the old Bills white uni's w/ the red-striped pants - got 'em for X-mas in '65, I think), you can't give younger fans any self-righteous crap! 0:)

Yeah, we...ahem...'older' fans have endured more ups and downs than those born after us, and while I get as frustrated as any Bills-fan - and it occasionally shows - I refuse to join in the relentless Bills-bashing and scream, " The Sky is falling!!! " at every single Bills-related news item, as has been the M.O. of many recent and even some not-so-recent TSW members.

Every team - in every sport - has it's ups and downs. It's all cyclical - so-called 'dynasties' only last so long, before the inevitable rebuilding process slaps you back down to the basement.

Then, eventually, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, it's...

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

Now go get your face-paint on - it's time to support the team...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Senator

I remember when Richie Lucas was the quarterback of the future we drafted and when Buster Ramsey coached...I remember a center named Walt Cudzik whose belly hung over his pants, andWarren Rabb and Al Dorrow qb'd....and I remember my dad taking me to the parade to welcome the Bills to Buffalo.

Whatever pessimistic sarcasm is on this board, and I have given my share, is just a way for us long time die hard Bills fans to deal with the garbage product on the field and the worst owner in the NFL who has screwed up this organization beyond repair-or at least beyond 5-7 years worth of repair-after he isn't the owner anymore.

I remember when Richie Lucas was the quarterback of the future we drafted and when Buster Ramsey coached...I remember a center named Walt Cudzik whose belly hung over his pants, andWarren Rabb and Al Dorrow qb'd....and I remember my dad taking me to the parade to welcome the Bills to Buffalo.

Now that's a true old timer.....

I go back to the 1966 season and the loss to KC in the Championship game as a wee lad.....

If Im in a foxhole I want a guy next to me who can shoot and throw grenades.

They are one of the worst teams in the league, and one of the bottom 3 franchises in NFL history.

I'll get optimistic when there is new ownership and a clear plan for improvement.

Unti then, Ill remain not pessimistic but skeptical.

RTB

Pils, from all indications that I get you come across as a nice young man and I admire the optimism. Great avatar too. Reminds of a time period back in 1985 ... (thats another story :beer: ).

I would like you to name who the great leaders on this team are. I am curious. One of my complaints is that we lack real leadership on this team and our top drafted players are often mentally weak whenit comes to football and leadership. Not talking about the players that are quotable, or cheerlead, or talk smack. Leadership. Who sets the example by working hard and teaches it on to others? Who makes the big plays when needed? Who fires up the troops when things get tough?

I have a few names. Too few I am afraid. I am interested in your opinion here.

Go Bills!!

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I enjoyed reading them. I missed the game today due to a bday party. But tried my best to keep track of the game on my phone. I'll have to read up and see how the game went. Close victory.

Bob in STL, I agree with you that we do lack some leadership. I have hope that hard working players such as Fitz, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, and Wood amongst others will fill this void. This is a young team and imo it'll take more time for these players to grow into this leadership role. This is assuming they will take it by the reigns and go with it. They'll also need more consistently good games to fully earn the respect needed to be viewed as leaders.

Go Bills!!

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I enjoyed reading them. I missed the game today due to a bday party. But tried my best to keep track of the game on my phone. I'll have to read up and see how the game went. Close victory.

Bob in STL, I agree with you that we do lack some leadership. I have hope that hard working players such as Fitz, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, and Wood amongst others will fill this void. This is a young team and imo it'll take more time for these players to grow into this leadership role. This is assuming they will take it by the reigns and go with it. They'll also need more consistently good games to fully earn the respect needed to be viewed as leaders.

Go Bills!!

I think that Fitz is a leader. He is smaert and he sacrifices himself. The players notice that he puts it on the line.

Wood is going to be similar to Ken Hull as a leader. At least I think so.

Kyle Willaims and Poz on defnese. We need to get some better players around them.

George Wilson is another that impresses me as a quiet leader.

We need more.

Cheers!

to answer the senator's question for myself, I am happy the bills won the game against Detroit. I am happy that we have improved from being won of the worst playing football teams of all time before the bye to be tied for the last place in the league right now. If we keep improving I'll be less pessimistic, but I would like to see us get to .500 before I'm going to believe we are on the right track.

Still...its nice to see improvement.

I understand the frustration, and my only comment is that the transition to this new regime would probably have received a little more slack around here if the constant coaching and poor HC hires of the last 7 years had not occurred. I truly think this team is on the right track, and some of us guys who have learned that we have really nothing but patience to give are enjoying what we see as a far more competitive team than any of the last 6 seasons combined.

The team is 1-8, actually playing solid offense for the first time since Bledsoe's first year, and have been exciting to watch. I have looked back at some of the wins, and when you see punt returns and kickoff returns as the reasons the team won, it feels a little hollow, since the offense couldn't score. This team is scoring now, and if it's any consolation, seems to be looking like a more complete team than in recent years despite the Win/Loss columns indicate. A solid follow up draft this off-season will do wonders next year, and I am hoping a few key defensive acquisitions help put the right people in position to succeed.

With the exception if this last week, has anyone noticed how much fewer injuries this team has sustained? I don't think that's coincidence. My thumbs up to what looks like a much more physical, and better conditioned team, and that's not blind optimism, that's just the cold hard facts.

I do hope more people speak up on some of the out-of-line comments, this is in fact a game, and whether or not the team wins or loses really doesn't give anyone the right to go over the top and bash people around here, or wish ill-will towards some players, coaches, etc. I have been lurking and reading some of the better posts around here since about '03, and never wanted to post, simply because of all the bashing people get when they post an honest opinion, but I am hoping to see this board turn a corner, and see some people realize we are all rooting for the same team, and for most, live in the same community. This board is becoming highly visible, and I'd hate to think what is said from time to time is an indication of the integrity and resolve most us are made of, and what Bills fans are truly like.

Good post, thanks for taking the time to speak your mind.