Ryan Mallett Sucks - Exhibit A: Aaron Murray

ajzepp

Because Mallett is being talked about as our potential first pick in the draft and Aaron Murray is a freshman. Aaron Murray has also been showing flashes of greatness all season, not just the game against Auburn today.

And I totally agree about AJ Green. I like this kid so much I would almost love to see us take him with our first pick, even though we have no need there. This guy is a game changer, and given the mediocre talent on the offensive side of the ball for the 'dawgs, he's been a great partner for Murray.

Sounds like you want to be partners with Murray. I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon in GA but the two of you can tie the knot in DC.

The Bills have to make a draft decision in the 2011 draft. Mallet isn't "clutch" compared to John Elway either. Plus as Georgia fan I'm sure you love most Arkansas players.

Sure Murray may be a swell kid but he won't be in the draft that is why the comparisons are irrelevant.

Mallet may not be in the 2011 draft either.

If Murray and Mallet both come out for the 2012 draft then this is some good analysis. Thanks.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Mallett is being talked about as our potential first pick in the draft and Aaron Murray is a freshman. Aaron Murray has also been showing flashes of greatness all season, not just the game against Auburn today.

And I totally agree about AJ Green. I like this kid so much I would almost love to see us take him with our first pick, even though we have no need there. This guy is a game changer, and given the mediocre talent on the offensive side of the ball for the 'dawgs, he's been a great partner for Murray.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007

Look at Mallett's numbers this year. Remember that 3 of his INT's came against Alabama. He's only thrown 5 picks otherwise in the 9 other games. He also got knocked out early versus Auburn when he was off to a hot start. Also, the rushing game didn't get going until the Ole Miss game which means every team knew what was coming when they faced Arkansas and Mallett still put up good numbers. You can say all you want about the guy, but he has a strong arm, can make any throw under the sun, and is the 2nd best QB prospect in the draft if he and Luck both come out. If Luck stays and he declares he becomes the best QB prospect in the draft. The only thing that makes me a little weary is Brohm put up excellent numbers in a Petrino offense as well and we see where Brohm is right now, but Brohm does not have an arm that Mallett has either. I would like to see Mallett put on about 15-20 more pounds on that 6'6" frame of his so he could stand stronger in the pocket ala Ben Roethlisberger. He does seem to go down too easy sometimes. About the Georgia QB, I haven't seen enough of the young man to form an opinion.

This fascination with Mallett has more to do with the possible unavailability of Luck than the actual player ranking of Mallett. The Bills need a long term franchise qb. There is no doubt about it. We have been looking for that need since the retirement of Kelly. Mallett will be ranked in the 15-25 range. The Bills will probably be drafting in one of the top three spots. If that is the case then under the Nix philosophy of drafting for value Mallett wouldn't be such a good value pick.

What I would do if I were the Bills and Luck was not available would take the highest rated player (not DBs, RBs or receivers) and then take Cam Newton in the second round. What the Auburn/Georgia game demonstrated is that Newton can accurately make all the throws. Another appealing attribute of Newton is that he is much more mobile and durable than Mallett. Any qb playing for the Bills is going to take a pummelling. Newton can handle the hits better than the lanky and lumbering Mallett.

As the original poster noted Aaron Murray is very impressive. He is one of the most impressive qbs I have seen thus far. But he isn't available, and won't be available for at least another two years.

Nix has a reputation for favoring SEC players. If he has been watching Auburn play I'm sure he has noticed who the most dynamic player is in the toughest conference in the country.

Mallett is 16-7 at Arkansas, including 8-2 this season. He's thrown for 6500 yards and 54 TDs in less than two years against 15 INTs. Maybe I'm just a biased Razorback fan, but in a division with Alabama, LSU and Auburn...especially with the way all three have been playing...I'd say that's pretty good. He's made a few bad plays, but he's also had to carry his team on many occasions, and inevitably made a few big mistakes under the circumstances. I can live with that. They wouldn't have won some of those 16 games without him, and its worth noting that they were 5-7 the year prior to his arrival.

This whole argument reminds me of when many labeled Peyton Manning a loser in college because he never beat Florida and because he lost the national championship game. Ryan Mallett isn't Peyton Manning, but like Manning, its hardly his fault that his team is simply outclassed by the elite teams they've faced. They're getting better, but their overall level of talent is still not on par with the three elite teams in that division.

This fascination with Mallett has more to do with the possible unavailability of Luck than the actual player ranking of Mallett. The Bills need a long term franchise qb. There is no doubt about it. We have been looking for that need since the retirement of Kelly. Mallett will be ranked in the 15-25 range. The Bills will probably be drafting in one of the top three spots. If that is the case then under the Nix philosophy of drafting for value Mallett wouldn't be such a good value pick.

What I would do if I were the Bills and Luck was not available would take the highest rated player (not DBs, RBs or receivers) and then take Cam Newton in the second round. What the Auburn/Georgia game demonstrated is that Newton can accurately make all the throws. Another appealing attribute of Newton is that he is much more mobile and durable than Mallett. Any qb playing for the Bills is going to take a pummelling. Newton can handle the hits better than the lanky and lumbering Mallett.

As the original poster noted Aaron Murray is very impressive. He is one of the most impressive qbs I have seen thus far. But he isn't available, and won't be available for at least another two years.

Nix has a reputation for favoring SEC players. If he has been watching Auburn play I'm sure he has noticed who the most dynamic player is in the toughest conference in the country.

I disagree Mallet looks good on his own merits, but you're correct about being concerned with taking him at #3. Is he really a franchise changing QB? He might be. I think Mallet has more potential than Sam Bradford.

Running QBs like Cam Newton rarely pan out in the NFL.

But Cam is starting to look special as a thrower too. That pass before half was a NFL quality pass. He does have a little too much wobble on his ball and his receivers had two huge drops.

I'm starting to think if the Bills pass on a QB in the top three. Cam Newton is there in the second it could be tempting.

As long as the FBI doesn't go after him personally on the money trail or the IRS doesn't get involved for tax avation, he is really showing off his arm these days and just seems like a special leader.

I'm still not a believer but Cam Newton is starting to make a compelling case.

If he works with an NFL QB coach for a year to get that throwing motion consistent , the kid has a high ceiling but is definitely high risk / high reward type of draft pick.

I worry the Bills can't afford the risk.

I disagree Mallet looks good on his own merits, but you're correct about being concerned with taking him at #3. Is he really a franchise changing QB? He might be. I think Mallet has more potential than Sam Bradford.

Running QBs like Cam Newton rarely pan out in the NFL.

But Cam is starting to look special as a thrower too. That pass before half was a NFL quality pass. He does have a little too much wobble on his ball and his receivers had two huge drops.

I'm starting to think if the Bills pass on a QB in the top three. Cam Newton is there in the second it could be tempting.

As long as the FBI doesn't go after him personally on the money trail or the IRS doesn't get involved for tax avation, he is really showing off his arm these days and just seems like a special leader.

I'm still not a believer but Cam Newton is starting to make a compelling case.

If he works with an NFL QB coach for a year to get that throwing motion consistent , the kid has a high ceiling but is definitely high risk / high reward type of draft pick.

I worry the Bills can't afford the risk.

I certainly wouldn't take Newton with a high first round pick. But as you noted some of the throws he made were NFL caliber. In my view he has a lot of upside that can be developed. The Bills are in an excellent position to take this type of raw material qb and have him play behind Fitz for a year or so.

There isn't a player in college who elevates his team more than Cam Newton. What impresses me about his running is not so much its productivity (which it is) but his durability. That would be a tremendous attribute with a not so much accomplished blocking Buffalo line.

I have seen CN in a number of games. Each week his passing gets more developed and refined. He certainly has an NFL arm. His accuracy is impressive and he does have a touch on some of his throws.

Andrew Luck is my first choice as a draft pick. If he is not available then the front office has to adjust and take the next best value pick. Without a doubt Mallett is not a high round caliber of player. Taking an impact defensive player with our first pick and maybe getting CM in the second round would be a terrific alternative.

Edited by JohnC

Right now, Ralph Wilson is on record saying he wants a QB and Buddy Nix is on record saying best player available. This could be interesting.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007

Look at Mallett's numbers this year. Remember that 3 of his INT's came against Alabama.

The 4th Quarter vs. Alabama killed Mallett this year...But to his credit he brushed it off and went forward positively...Take out that 4th Quarter alone vs. Alabama and Mallett is in the running for the Heisman no question...But I think he needed that letdown to mature a bit more...The last INT he threw in that Game was pure laziness...And I doubt you'll see that from him any more...He's still a work in progress, but his upside is limitless if he's willing to put the work in...And that's really the only question with Mallett...It's not how good he could be cause he's already got everything he needs physically to be great in the NFL...It's how good he wants to be and how hard he's willing to work to get there once money is not an issue in his life...How much does he love Football?...How much does he love the X's and O's?...How obsessed is he with being the best? How much Film work is he willing to do to be the best?...Etc, etc... B-)

Mallett is 16-7 at Arkansas, including 8-2 this season. He's thrown for 6500 yards and 54 TDs in less than two years against 15 INTs. Maybe I'm just a biased Razorback fan, but in a division with Alabama, LSU and Auburn...especially with the way all three have been playing...I'd say that's pretty good. He's made a few bad plays, but he's also had to carry his team on many occasions, and inevitably made a few big mistakes under the circumstances. I can live with that. They wouldn't have won some of those 16 games without him, and its worth noting that they were 5-7 the year prior to his arrival.

This whole argument reminds me of when many labeled Peyton Manning a loser in college because he never beat Florida and because he lost the national championship game. Ryan Mallett isn't Peyton Manning, but like Manning, its hardly his fault that his team is simply outclassed by the elite teams they've faced. They're getting better, but their overall level of talent is still not on par with the three elite teams in that division.

Excellent Post Brandon and what I've been saying around here for weeks now...

Watch this Arkansas Team Folks...Just go back and watch the Games this year...This IS NOT a Team on par with Alabama and Auburn in overall talent but Mallett has elevated this Team with his presence and it's as clear as day...Just watch them and tell me you can't see it...It's tangible... B-)

I certainly wouldn't take Newton with a high first round pick. But as you noted some of the throws he made were NFL caliber. In my view he has a lot of upside that can be developed. The Bills are in an excellent position to take this type of raw material qb and have him play behind Fitz for a year or so.

There isn't a player in college who elevates his team more than Cam Newton. What impresses me about his running is not so much its productivity (which it is) but his durability. That would be a tremendous attribute with a not so much accomplished blocking Buffalo line.

I have seen CN in a number of games. Each week his passing gets more developed and refined. He certainly has an NFL arm. His accuracy is impressive and he does have a touch on some of his throws.

Andrew Luck is my first choice as a draft pick. If he is not available then the front office has to adjust and take the next best value pick. Without a doubt Mallett is not a high round caliber of player. Taking an impact defensive player with our first pick and maybe getting CM in the second round would be a terrific alternative.

Newton is a HUGE risk up top (Top 5-10) but I think in the end he could be a better version of Vince Young...And I have NO idea what that ends up being...But nonetheless... B-)

Murray was getting smacked with latehits and cheapshots by Nick Fairley yesterday and continued to get up and throw the ball well. It was fun watch. Prediction for the NFL 2011 season....Nick Fairley is most fined player in the league.

We dont have to look too far past our own roster when thinking about how Mallet will adjust to the NFL.

Brian Brohm is from the same system. He put up #s that were just as good if not better than Mallet. The system is an infamous 1 read system - which doesnt bode well for his NFL career. Brohm is now a relagated backup in the NFL. Mallets backup came in a lit it up. when Mallet went down. The system really helps the numbers.

Ryan Fitzpattrick. Why are we still talking about replacing him? Because he is too inaccurate. 5-8 inaccurate passes a game are why he is a journeyman/backup and not a full time starter and going to probowls. So now we are going to draft Mallet? A guy who is just as inaccurate if not more inaccurate the Fitz? Why would we do that? Doesnt make sense.....

Its Luck or no one. Luck is the only guy who is going to turn into a legit starter.

Right now, Ralph Wilson is on record saying he wants a QB and Buddy Nix is on record saying best player available. This could be interesting.

Andrew Luck will fit in both of those.

PS I think Physically Newton is alright. But its the mental stuff he will struggle with. Reading the D, anticipating routes, thats the tough stuff. Thats why Peyton and brees are so good, not their arms or size. Rivers throws like a horse but is accurate and intelligent. Luck is that, Newton will have to learn that. He could, but likely wont.

The 4th Quarter vs. Alabama killed Mallett this year...But to his credit he brushed it off and went forward positively...Take out that 4th Quarter alone vs. Alabama and Mallett is in the running for the Heisman no question...But I think he needed that letdown to mature a bit more...The last INT he threw in that Game was pure laziness...And I doubt you'll see that from him any more...He's still a work in progress, but his upside is limitless if he's willing to put the work in...And that's really the only question with Mallett...It's not how good he could be cause he's already got everything he needs physically to be great in the NFL...It's how good he wants to be and how hard he's willing to work to get there once money is not an issue in his life...How much does he love Football?...How much does he love the X's and O's?...How obsessed is he with being the best? How much Film work is he willing to do to be the best?...Etc, etc... B-)

Excellent Post Brandon and what I've been saying around here for weeks now...

Watch this Arkansas Team Folks...Just go back and watch the Games this year...This IS NOT a Team on par with Alabama and Auburn in overall talent but Mallett has elevated this Team with his presence and it's as clear as day...Just watch them and tell me you can't see it...It's tangible... B-)

Newton is a HUGE risk up top (Top 5-10) but I think in the end he could be a better version of Vince Young...And I have NO idea what that ends up being...But nonetheless... B-)

I will admit I'm on the mallett bandwagon. I don't know if he will be an all pro but I agree he has mad an average team much better.

As for cam - dynamic? Yes! Huge question mark? Yes! This is a kid that was about to get booted from Florida, and might lose his eligibility at auburn. He's willing to roll the dice on his NFL career repeatedly and to me that's a bigger red flag then anything in the game.

We dont have to look too far past our own roster when thinking about how Mallet will adjust to the NFL.

Brian Brohm is from the same system. He put up #s that were just as good if not better than Mallet. The system is an infamous 1 read system - which doesnt bode well for his NFL career. Brohm is now a relagated backup in the NFL. Mallets backup came in a lit it up. when Mallet went down. The system really helps the numbers.

Ryan Fitzpattrick. Why are we still talking about replacing him? Because he is too inaccurate. 5-8 inaccurate passes a game are why he is a journeyman/backup and not a full time starter and going to probowls. So now we are going to draft Mallet? A guy who is just as inaccurate if not more inaccurate the Fitz? Why would we do that? Doesnt make sense.....

Its Luck or no one. Luck is the only guy who is going to turn into a legit starter.

Andrew Luck will fit in both of those.

PS I think Physically Newton is alright. But its the mental stuff he will struggle with. Reading the D, anticipating routes, thats the tough stuff. Thats why Peyton and brees are so good, not their arms or size. Rivers throws like a horse but is accurate and intelligent. Luck is that, Newton will have to learn that. He could, but likely wont.

You have some valid points but can you atleast try to get the facts correct.

Look it up Ryan Mallet has 67% completion percentage and doesn't have the scatter shot arm of Fitzy by any stretch of the imagination if you actually watch him play.

Brohm is not Mallet, you can watch both of them in game. Mallet is strong armed, and contrary to 2008 draftnik information, is an accurate passer. By that logic you don't want Luck because Trent Edwards cam from Stanford. They are two different players.

Yes they play a lot of 1 read and throw in the offensive system and yes that is a reason to deduct points from Mallet. However a talent evaluator has to decide if its the system or the player. That is the real decision point. Many people think its the player, some people think its the system.

His Back up lit up Auburn's secondary as well as the Arkasnas offense. Tyler Wilson threw two interceptions in that game over 4 TDs, Mallet has 5 interceptions on the whole season over 24 TDs.

Plus why can't he read defenses? Its not 1950. Black QBs can learn NFL systems.

I am a native WNY'er having lived in AR for the past three years, I've become a Razorback fan and been to many games at Razorback stadium. I'll say Mallet is raw and makes mistakes however, over the last two years he has progressed in his thought process and skill set. He wins the games he is suppose to and has kept his team in tough games. The 65 points Auburn racked up wasn't due to the Razorback offense. They scored 45 themselves in an away game. Nothing to scoff at. My main concern with him being in a Bill's uniform is whether he can take a pounding behind a porous O-line. Beef up the O line and put him behind center. We will once again have a winning team.

You have some valid points but can you atleast try to get the facts correct.

Look it up Ryan Mallet has 67% completion percentage and doesn't have the scatter shot arm of Fitzy by any stretch of the imagination if you actually watch him play.

Brohm is not Mallet, you can watch both of them in game. Mallet is strong armed, and contrary to 2008 draftnik information, is an accurate passer. By that logic you don't want Luck because Trent Edwards cam from Stanford. They are two different players.

Yes they play a lot of 1 read and throw in the offensive system and yes that is a reason to deduct points from Mallet. However a talent evaluator has to decide if its the system or the player. That is the real decision point. Many people think its the player, some people think its the system.

His Back up lit up Auburn's secondary as well as the Arkasnas offense. Tyler Wilson threw two interceptions in that game over 4 TDs, Mallet has 5 interceptions on the whole season over 24 TDs.

Plus why can't he read defenses? Its not 1950. Black QBs can learn NFL systems.

Completion % doesnt = accuracy. You act like his accuracy is a fact? Im talking about ball placement. He IS INACCURATE, you will have to watch the games to see it. If you call his accuracy good, then rase your standards, because its not NFL good. A completed pass behind a WR is an interception in the NFL. He is just like scatter amrmed Fitz, even thowing bad INTs at the worst time.... because of his inaccuracy!

Mallet is strong armed, thats his only great quality. His #s are inflated by the system, unless of coarse you htink Brohm is an aweome QB and Mallets back up is a 1st rounder too. Going on #s alone he looks great, but #s never tell the whole story.

PS: CN Hasnt read defenses. So he will have to learn to. History ahs shown that running QBs rarely figure it out, so odds are agaisnt him. Please leave race out in the future.

Edited by Thoner7

Yes we should pass on Mallett and hope that this freshman comes out the same year we would have to have the top pick of a team needing a QB. Perfectly logical.

I don't even know what this means, so I'll just assume ur among the other three or four fuktards in this thread who can't seem to respond without being a douche.

Sounds like you want to be partners with Murray. I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon in GA but the two of you can tie the knot in DC.

The Bills have to make a draft decision in the 2011 draft. Mallet isn't "clutch" compared to John Elway either. Plus as Georgia fan I'm sure you love most Arkansas players.

Sure Murray may be a swell kid but he won't be in the draft that is why the comparisons are irrelevant.

Mallet may not be in the 2011 draft either.

If Murray and Mallet both come out for the 2012 draft then this is some good analysis. Thanks.

Speaking of fuktards...

Completion % doesnt = accuracy.

I totally agree. And anyone who reads some of the feedback about Mallett - particularly this year, since there is a whole lot of it - will see that he is very frequently criticized for lack of accuracy and touch, and how he tends to miss wide open receivers.

I think everyone knows....deep down....in their heart of hearts....that somehow someway Ryan Mallett will be a Buffalo Bill. All this talk is either people denying it or starting to get used to it :nana:

Edited by baskin

Completion % doesnt = accuracy. You act like his accuracy is a fact? Im talking about ball placement. He IS INACCURATE, you will have to watch the games to see it. If you call his accuracy good, then rase your standards, because its not NFL good. A completed pass behind a WR is an interception in the NFL. He is just like scatter amrmed Fitz, even thowing bad INTs at the worst time.... because of his inaccuracy!

Mallet is strong armed, thats his only great quality. His #s are inflated by the system, unless of coarse you htink Brohm is an aweome QB and Mallets back up is a 1st rounder too. Going on #s alone he looks great, but #s never tell the whole story.

PS: CN Hasnt read defenses. So he will have to learn to. History ahs shown that running QBs rarely figure it out, so odds are agaisnt him. Please leave race out in the future.

I've watched 75% of all of Arkansas games and if you think Mallet is scattered arm nearly as close Fitzpatrick you are watching a different Arkansas team.

This would be the Arkansas Razorbacks that Malllet plays for.

Speaking of fuktards...

Good reading comprehension.

People that use the word "!@#$tard" should be neutered. I expect you have reported yourself to the proper authorities and will have your ovaries or testes removed.