Ryan Mallett Sucks - Exhibit A: Aaron Murray

ajzepp

Are you watching the game or just the score?

What specifically is your beef with him?

Jarius Right dropped a touchdown pass right before half, or atleast a 1st and goal at the 1, then a false start to force a 3rd and long.

He looks good.

It doesn't have to be Luck or Mallet. Both can be good pro prospects.

Yep, got it on in HD on my 100" projector screen :thumbsup:

Dude, be careful with your soap box. He may very well end up a Bill, and then what? Are you going to be "one of those posters" with an ax to grind, wanting the team to fail, predicting it without giving the kid a chance to even have an NFL career?

He's had enough great games, and mistakes, and then big plays from learning from those mistakes, to be given a chance, IMO. The physical and, I believe, mental skills are there to translate to the pros.

I've switched from Mallett to Luck as my personal favorite, but I'd still be happy if we landed Mallett. Especially with Gailey around.

Dude, I'd never maintain this stance if he became a Bill, and there's no way I'd EVER wish the team to fail. If he becomes a Bill next April, then I'll be the biggest Mallett supporter on earth...at least for the first two or three years lol. I was all about JP until I felt he'd had enough time to develop....same with Trent...and now with Fitz. I'll happily give Ryan "don't call me Drew" Mallett the same respect and support :devil:

TOUCHDOWNNNNNNNNN ARKANSASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People that dog Mallet are ridiculous IMO. The Guy puts up great numbers in the best conference in the country. He can make all the throws and actually has quicker feet in the pocket than we think. I'd be thrilled if Buffalo got Mallet or Luck.

Wow, Petrino thinks so highly of Mallett that instead of giving him a shot to win the games, they run in right up the middle three times and let the KICKER try and win the game... :lol:

TOUCHHHHHDOWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ARKANSASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty good game! Not exactly a showcase for Mallett, but he got the win...of course, it was another team he was supposed to beat, so nothing really special. But we're getting closer to the next time he'll be tested by a team that is equal or better....we'll see how he does! Maybe he can finally win a big game?

People that dog Mallet are ridiculous IMO. The Guy puts up great numbers in the best conference in the country. He can make all the throws and actually has quicker feet in the pocket than we think. I'd be thrilled if Buffalo got Mallet or Luck.

Forrest Gump had faster feet than we think, too.

Im sorry but Mallet just isnt very good. He reacts too slowly and is simply too innaccurate. He never anticipates a route and is horribly horribly immobile.

Figuring that the Bills **should** be able to draft starters at OL/DL/LB in rounds 2 and 3, I wouldnt consider Mallet until round 4. I just dont see him being good and would prefer a starting G over him.

Im sorry but Mallet just isnt very good. He reacts too slowly and is simply too innaccurate. He never anticipates a route and is horribly horribly immobile.

Figuring that the Bills **should** be able to draft starters at OL/DL/LB in rounds 2 and 3, I wouldnt consider Mallet until round 4. I just dont see him being good and would prefer a starting G over him.

You hit it right on the head about route anticipation. In my opinion, that's why a guy who has all the talent in the world and all the motivation in the world - like, say, JP Losman - will fail every time. It's clear as day when you watch someone like Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway, etc (yes, they are legends, I know...) they know where the receiver WILL be, and they make the pass accordingly. You CANNOT have success in the NFL waiting for receivers to get open. Even if you can put a ball through a swinging tire from 30 yards away, all that accuracy won't mean a hill of beans if you can't anticipate. This guy will set our franchise back ten years.

You hit it right on the head about route anticipation. In my opinion, that's why a guy who has all the talent in the world and all the motivation in the world - like, say, JP Losman - will fail every time. It's clear as day when you watch someone like Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway, etc (yes, they are legends, I know...) they know where the receiver WILL be, and they make the pass accordingly. You CANNOT have success in the NFL waiting for receivers to get open. Even if you can put a ball through a swinging tire from 30 yards away, all that accuracy won't mean a hill of beans if you can't anticipate. This guy will set our franchise back ten years.

I say what you just said all the time. If you react to the play you are already too late. Far too often Mallet has brain faarts and is left standing in the pocket pump faking. Also, his accuracy is just plain bad. Swinging tire at 30 yards? Mallet would be lucky to hit the tree the tire is swinging from :sick:

You brought up Losman which is funny, every time I watch Mallet I cannot keep images of Losman out of my head....They are like the same player.

I say what you just said all the time. If you react to the play you are already too late. Far too often Mallet has brain faarts and is left standing in the pocket pump faking. Also, his accuracy is just plain bad. Swinging tire at 30 yards? Mallet would be lucky to hit the tree the tire is swinging from :sick:

You brought up Losman which is funny, every time I watch Mallet I cannot keep images of Losman out of my head....They are like the same player.

Hell, in the NFL, Mallett would get tackled by the damn tree, cause he's gonna be so statue-esque in the pocket it's going to be embarrassing. I'm with you, though...if he's there in the 4th round, take a flyer on the guy :lol:

Edited by ajzepp

"Never anticipates a route" really Never? You know Mallet is the big tall guy wearing #15.

By your nonsensical response you'd think he wouldn't have 67% completion percentage.

Yeah through 11 games against the best defenses in the country he just gets lucky 67% of the time.

He should go to Vegas.

Yeah the #21 ranked team in the country was just a speed bump. The #13 ranked team should have blown them out by 21. :wallbash:

Yeah Manning, Brady, and Marino were just the most mobile QBs in NFL history. Mallet could never be a good passer unless he can move like Cam Newton.

Oh wait Cam Newton is a bad prospect because he is too mobile.

I think both of your biggest problems with Mallet are Mallet isn't named Luck.

You put on a #12 Luck jersey on Mallet's back and you both would be hyperventilating about how he lead his team to a 2OT win against one of the best teams in the country and what a leader he is to pull out the W.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

"Never anticipates a route" really Never? You know Mallet is the big tall guy wearing #15.

By your nonsensical response you'd think he wouldn't have 67% completion percentage.

Yeah through 11 games against the best defenses in the country he just gets lucky 67% of the time.

He should go to Vegas.

Yeah the #21 ranked team in the country was just a speed bump. The #13 ranked team should have blown them out by 21. :wallbash:

Yeah Manning, Brady, and Marino were just the most mobile QBs in NFL history. Mallet could never be a good passer unless he can move like Cam Newton.

Oh wait Cam Newton is a bad prospect because he is too mobile.

I think both of you're biggest problems with Mallet are Mallet isn't named Luck.

You put on a #12 Luck jersey on Mallet's back and you both would be hyperventilating about how he lead his team to a 2OT win against one of the best teams in the country and what a leader he is to pull out the W.

I don't understand the point you're making about mobile QBs. I mentioned those QBs because they are able to anticipate routes. It doesn't matter how immobile you are when you can do that. Ask Bernie Kosar, cause he could anticipate a route, too! ;)

I don't really want Luck either. I'm on record plenty of times as wanting to go front 7 with our top pick. I want a dominating, nasty, stanky, PULVERIZING defense in B-lo again.

I don't understand the point you're making about mobile QBs. I mentioned those QBs because they are able to anticipate routes. It doesn't matter how immobile you are when you can do that. Ask Bernie Kosar, cause he could anticipate a route, too! ;)

I don't really want Luck either. I'm on record plenty of times as wanting to go front 7 with our top pick. I want a dominating, nasty, stanky, PULVERIZING defense in B-lo again.

I want the Beef too!

When Luck doesn't declare. A Nasty Pass rusher is the key.

I'm tired of opposing QBs looking like they just came from the dry cleaners after playing the Bills.

If Luck is there you have to take him, and Mallet is better than you're giving him credit.

But the pass rush is a joke right now.

I want the Beef!

He should go to Vegas.

You are taking that out of context. I assume that at least once he has anticipated a route before, but he never does it with regulatrity, he just doesnt. There isnt really anything else I can say about that, he doesnt anticipates his routes and he reads defenses slowly.

Maybe I would care about his stats if this were fantasy football, but its not. Completion % is the most misleading thing going. He isnt accurate, he just isnt. Thats why so many of his passes are low, high, behind, getting picked off. Remember JP Losman short hoping balls to Lee Evans all day? Mallet is version 2.0

If you watch him play and this he is great then thats fine, but you have low standards. Thats really the only possible explanation I can think of.

You are taking that out of context. I assume that at least once he has anticipated a route before, but he never does it with regulatrity, he just doesnt. There isnt really anything else I can say about that, he doesnt anticipates his routes and he reads defenses slowly.

Maybe I would care about his stats if this were fantasy football, but its not. Completion % is the most misleading thing going. He isnt accurate, he just isnt. Thats why so many of his passes are low, high, behind, getting picked off. Remember JP Losman short hoping balls to Lee Evans all day? Mallet is version 2.0

If you watch him play and this he is great then thats fine, but you have low standards. Thats really the only possible explanation I can think of.

Or what's more likely is you're seeing things. If anything he overthrows high.

Look at the game tonight how many of those passes hit the receiver in stride and let the receiver run after the catch?

I would say most of them.

That called being impartial.

Just because I want the defense to improve doesn't mean Mallet throws phantom inaccurate passes.

You must think he had the most amazing receiver corps if they're able to reel in all those wiley passes.

Or what's more likely is you're seeing things. If anything he overthrows high.

Look at the game tonight how many of those passes hit the receiver in stride and let the receiver run after the catch?

I would say most of them.

That called being impartial.

Just because I want the defense to improve doesn't mean Mallet throws phantom inaccurate passes.

You must think he had the most amazing receiver corps if they're able to reel in all those wiley passes.

No, he doesnt have the worlds best receivers, but they are good. O and just FYI, a pass can be caught and inaccurate - which is where my raise your standards point comes in. He threw a pick on the sideline that was late bc he couldnt anticipate teh route, and the pass was also high and behind the WR. Early in teh game he threw the ball ski high over a guy in the flat when he was unpressured. I dont have to fabricate any errant throws because he throws plenty for himself.

We are talking about QBs because of all the errant passes Fitz throws - why would we want to draft this guy who has just as bad if not a worse problem?

Stats aside, Mallett has led the Razorbacks to a 9-2 record so far with a chance to win two more, including the bowl game. Arkansas has not won 11 games since 1977 and they've only won 10 games once since joining the SEC in 1992. For that matter, this is only the fourth time in 19 SEC seasons that the Razorbacks have won 9 games, and only the sixth time that they will finish above .500 against the SEC.

But yeah, Mallett is a loser. :rolleyes:

Stats aside, Mallett has led the Razorbacks to a 9-2 record so far with a chance to win two more, including the bowl game. Arkansas has not won 11 games since 1977 and they've only won 10 games once since joining the SEC in 1992. For that matter, this is only the fourth time in 19 SEC seasons that the Razorbacks have won 9 games, and only the sixth time that they will finish above .500 against the SEC.

Exactly...I've tried to make this point before around here but it falls on deaf ears...Probably because some Folks have watched The Bills lose for so long they have NO CLUE what having a QB that actually inspires his teammates means anymore...They would not know a winner if he came up and smacked them upside the head...Trent lost in College...So did JP...Luck and Mallett are WINNERS...Mallett was 4-0 as a Pure Frosh Starter at Michigan when he basically had no clue what he was doing...He's a winner...Luck as well...Were sitting here watching these 2 College powerhouses in the SEC and PAC 10, Alabama and USC...um no wait...Florida and Oregon?...Nope not yet...Freaking Arkansas and Stanford!!! And we have Buffalo Bills Fans...Fans who have sat through JP, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards and now Fitz, and they're nitpicking these 2 to absolute death...It's a joke...I'm SO glad Buddy Nix will not do the same...These 2 Kids are winners who inspire better performances out of their Teammates week in and week out...They would both make incredible additions to this Football Team...Both will need a Year or two to get caught up and find themselves, but once they do they'll do the same thing in the NFL they've been doing since they were Kids...They'll win... B-)

Were sitting here watching these 2 College powerhouses in the SEC and PAC 10, Alabama and USC...um no wait...Florida and Oregon?...Nope not yet...Freaking Arkansas and Stanford!!!

Exactly. People need to realize that what they've accomplished is unusual for their particular teams. The Razorbacks were 109-92-2 from 1992-2008, 61-65 in SEC play. Mallet is 17-7 as a starter at Arkansas, which is very clearly outpacing the typical team performance over nearly the last two decades. That 8-7 in-conference record isn't great in the grand scheme of things, but its also better than their average, and he's 5-2 so far this year.

People need to be realistic about their expectations of the kid and his ability to generate wins. He's not lining up under center for friggin' Ohio State or USC, folks.

No, he doesnt have the worlds best receivers, but they are good. O and just FYI, a pass can be caught and inaccurate - which is where my raise your standards point comes in. He threw a pick on the sideline that was late bc he couldnt anticipate teh route, and the pass was also high and behind the WR. Early in teh game he threw the ball ski high over a guy in the flat when he was unpressured. I dont have to fabricate any errant throws because he throws plenty for himself.

We are talking about QBs because of all the errant passes Fitz throws - why would we want to draft this guy who has just as bad if not a worse problem?

That is an accurate assessment of the INT (minus the amazing one handed dive the safety made), and I remember that overthrow in the flat.

But you're neglecting the other passes that were on the money and on time as well as the drops, Like the one at the one before the half.

If you're that critical of Mallet please tell me you see how Luck throws short often. How he wlll put the ball behind the receiver and not by play design often, because if you have such high standards you have to see that too.

If you dont you're clearly seeing what you want to see and not what's actually happening on the field.

Don't get me wrong Luck is the better prospect but he does under throw his receivers often.

Mallet definitely isn't as scattered arm as Fitzy. Mallet is a less Fiery less durable Philip Rivers with a stronger arm and if somehow he is drafted by the Bills he will be an upgrade over any QB the Bills have has since #12 retired.

But the real question come draft is, is taking a QB first priority that's where personally I would take Defense Marcell Dareus if the plan is to stay 4-3 but if the Bills and Nix take Mallet it wouldn't be a wasted pick. It would be a much needed addition for the future success of the Bills.

Am lovin' all the Mallett-talk - sure beats readin' 'bout Andy 24/7 !!!! :beer:

MSU coach Dan Mullen, like many coaches in the Southeastern Conference, is very impressed with Arkansas’ offense and its quarterback.

How impressed? Well, quarterback Ryan Mallett is the top NFL prospect when it comes to quarterbacks, in his opinion.

“I think people get lost that an athletic quarterback is one that can just run the ball and is really fast,” Mullen said. “An athletic quarterback can also be a guy that buys himself some extra time in the pocket. And he has the arm strength where he can throw a 50-yard pass and it takes about half a second for it to get there.”

(link)

Then, there's this...

Ryan Mallett threw for 305 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winner to Knile Davis in double overtime, and No. 13 Arkansas beat No. 22 Mississippi State 38-31 on Saturday night.

Mallett had a rough start to the game, but got going in the third quarter with an 89-yard touchdown pass to Jarius Wright — the second-longest in school history. The junior completed 17 of 26 passes and found Davis wide open for a 7-yard touchdown in double overtime to help the Razorbacks win their fifth straight.

On top of his touchdown reception, Davis rushed for 187 yards and two scores as Arkansas (9-2, 5-2 Southeastern Conference) won its fifth straight.

(link - No. 13 Arkansas tops No. 22 MSU 38-31 in double OT)

And, of course, for video hi-lites, stats, game replay, etc. - link

Should be a great opportunity to watch ' The Punisher ' in action, in a HUGE game against #5-ranked LSU next Saturday, Thanksgiving weekend, on CBS (2:30 EST)

Edited by The Senator

While I don't mind Bills draft either Mallett or Luck, I think college records and stats are not a good pointer to project player's NFL success. For example, another SEC QB lead his school to 9-3, 11-2, and 11-2 records recently. In his freshman season, he completed 50.7% with 9 TD and 4 INT. In sophomore year, his completion percentage was 60.5% with 15/9 TD/INT. In his junior season, the completion percentage was further improved to 67.8% and the TD/INT ratio was also improved to an impressive 28/8. He lead his school to a BCS bowl win this year and won the Sugar bowl MVP this year.

Who is this quarterback? His name is JaMarcus Russell. And yeah, we all know Russell is a winner in NFL. :rolleyes: Yes, the school is different and the player is different. But my point is, college stats are pretty useless when projecting NFL performance.