Changing Brake Pads

I have a 2007 Civic EX and the rear brakes are grinding. I hate to pay someone to do a job I can do myself. I am moderately mechanically inclined. For those of you with auto repair experience, is it worth doing myself or should I pay the $ to have my mechanic change the pads?

Edited by chknwing334

Ask around and see if there is anyone you know that has done them before. It's not hard once you see how it's done. If you find someone, give them a case of beer for their trouble. Its a Civic so you may as well do both rotors and pads.

Depends on how much you value $ & dislike a hassle. I will say that the 2nd time you do them, it'll be a piece of cake. The 1st time, you'll likely run into some headaches.

I'm assuming you have solid rotors back there. I had great difficulty trying to find someone who cuts rotors around here, so I'd strongly suggest that you replace them as well. Retail, they're usually pretty cheap, maybe $30 each.

As a rule of thumb, I always change the rotors with the pads. The caliper (where the pads are attached) is off the rotor and that just pulls off like a LP from a turntable. Wait. Does anyone under 25 know what turntables are? If they are pads for drum brakes - - look for help.

Don't forget to have a large C clamp on hand to re-open the caliper.

If they are disc brakes they are very easy to change. best part about it is your car is still fairly new so nothing should be too rusted yet.

If you have any friends with mechanical knowledge ask them to help for a case of beer and go to autozone or somewhere and buy the parts. you should be able to get brakes and rotors for about $100. the entire job without really knowing what you guys are doing shouldn'nt even take more than an hour or 2.

in fact i think if you have any type of mechanical ability i'm sure you can save the case of beer for yourself and probably find some online instructions with pics included showing exactly what to do. Not a hard job at all to do on your own.

just as a bit of safety advice, when you jack up the side of car you are working on, you should use a jack stand to hold the weight, and use some type of chocks/blocks on the wheels on ground to prevent rolling.

This is just geriatric advice as I have never done civic brakes but what you may encounter, in order: [a] They will be disc's on a 2007. Guaranteed. The caliper pins may require a socket you don't own. Large Torx[male or female] or large Allen head are common.[c]Once you remove the pins, stick a large screw driver between the rotor and pad and pry. This will partly collapse the piston making prying the caliper off easier.[d] You will need rotors. That grinding you hear is the pad backing plate chewing up the rotor. The rotor may be stuck to the hub; you are replacing it anyway, so just whack the edges with a large hammer to break it loose.[e] When you seat the piston[c-clamp works fine, I prefer a large set of slip joint pliers] leave the old pad on. Caliper pistons are made of a brittle material-the pad spreads the force of the tool out and prevents them from cracking. If you can't collapse it it's seized[rare now a days] and must be replaced. When you collapse the piston don't be alarmed if you see brake fluid running out from the front of the car-you are just forcing excess fluid past the master cylinder cap.

Replace the rotor and pads,bolt the caliper back on and put the tire back on. At this point PUMP THE BRAKES! you will have no brakes till the piston you bottomed out comes out far enough that the pad contacts the rotor. 2-3 pumps will do it-the pedal will firm up noticeably.

Use factory pads. After market pads may or may not be cheaper but are not worth the potential headaches[soft pedal,squealing, etc.]

Bleeding is unnecessary unless you open the hydraulic system, which you will not unless you find it necessary to replace the caliper.

Now seat the pads. make several firm stops from 40 MPH stops, driving some between them to allow the brakes to cool. You may notice some smoke/burning smell while doing this-normal, just the preservative coating burning off the rotors.

I have a 2007 Civic EX and the rear brakes are grinding. I hate to pay someone to do a job I can do myself. I am moderately mechanically inclined. For those of you with auto repair experience, is it worth doing myself or should I pay the $ to have my mechanic change the pads?

As long as you don't drive behind me leaving the stadium, I say, go for it!

i am about as mechanically dis-inclined as they come and i have changed brake pads. I suggest you get a buddy that knows how to do it, get some beer and have him/her change them with you. Once you do it a couple times you will be amazed at how easy it can be.

wow...talk about great minds.....i responded without reading through the thread.....excellent advise, sir :thumbsup:

Ask around and see if there is anyone you know that has done them before. It's not hard once you see how it's done. If you find someone, give them a case of beer for their trouble. Its a Civic so you may as well do both rotors and pads.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, have a decent set of tools and work area, and aren't averse to the occasional skinned knuckle, brake pads are a fairly easy job.

And, there's always a ton on info and 'how-to' videos on the 'net...

Edited by The Senator

i know nothing about civics, but my old explorer had the parking brake drum inside the rear rotor. what a pain in the ass that was, if yours is like that buy a set of parking brake pads because they will break in half when you take the rotor off...