Can Fitzpatrick Overcome His Choking?

I think Fitz could cut into his interceptions if he put a little more arc on the ball for intermediate post-route type plays over the middle. It's one thing to zip the ball in there on an out route, but to do it when your receiver is running 15 yds downfield through the middle is asking for deflections/INTs.

In my mind at least part of his accuracy problems are due to the fact that he's about to get creamed and doesn't get to make a perfect throw on the ball.

He should get at least 3 more games before they even consider working Brohm in. I like Ryan and he deserves more than his fair chance to prove himself, especially as the O-line continues to gain confidence. He's already impressed me in many ways, let's see if he can step up his game as he continues in the starter role. I think the final answer will be clear if we remain patient till the end of the season.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Nobody here says he doesn't have lapses in accuracy. All the quarterbacks EXCEPT the first ballot-HOFers tend to...

Heck, I've seen many HOF QBs in person, on TV, and on film/tape struggle with "lapses in accuracy." I've seen arms as strong as Namath, Harris, and Elway throw passes that looked like the bullets shot from Ricochet Rabbit's gun as they would stop in mid-air, make an abrupt left or right turn, and suddenly drop like a stone to the turf when having to contend with the winds at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

ALL quarterbacks, HOFers included, have bad games at times. Just as ALL athletes in any sport experience slumps. Sometimes the "flow" just isn't there. No reason why Fitz should be any different.

GO BILLS!!!

So how does he avoid the rookie cap?

And what if there is a lockout?

Rodriguez won't be fired. He's turning things around and has a lot of frosh/sophs he's winning with now.

Brent Musberger?

If owners won't pay rookies like under the old CBA (and I hope you are right), obviously he won't avoid the rookie cap whether he comes out this year or next. But he loses a year of NFL money by waiting and possibly more if the 2011 season doesn't go well.

For the last time, WE WON'T KNOW IF THERE'S A LOCKOUT BY JANUARY 14, 2011. We probably won't know until midnight March 2, 2011. The likelihood is that something gets done sometime in 2011, so Luck would get his money AND playing time.

Rodriguez is "turning things around?" Before that 3-OT squeaker against unranked Illinois, the Wolverines had lost 3 straight, the last one to the unranked Nittany Lions, and they sit 6-3 overall and tied for 7th in the Big Ten conference at 2-3. In his 3rd year as HC. Lloyd Carr got canned for an 9-4 overall and 6-2 conference record in 2007.

Yes, Brent Musburger. What's the problem (other than my slight misspelling of his last name)?

Edited by Doc

Heck, I've seen many HOF QBs in person, on TV, and on film/tape struggle with "lapses in accuracy." I've seen arms as strong as Namath, Harris, and Elway throw passes that looked like the bullets shot from Ricochet Rabbit's gun as they would stop in mid-air, make an abrupt left or right turn, and suddenly drop like a stone to the turf when having to contend with the winds at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

ALL quarterbacks, HOFers included, have bad games at times. Just as ALL athletes in any sport experience slumps. Sometimes the "flow" just isn't there. No reason why Fitz should be any different.

GO BILLS!!!

:thumbsup:

I like Fitz...he tough as nails and has gotten better under Chan but he will have a few bad throws a game.

The INTs in the Bears game he had pressure in his face. The one to Johnson to me was a bad call. They had the lead, should have ran the ball. The second he was trying to make a play also with pressure in his face.

To me the only way Fitz get better to get him a better Oline. If with that he is who he is...a better than average backup.

this is a great question because if he can he's a top 10 QB in this league. Of course when is a good time for an interception ? Good teams the defense comes out gets a stop and it doesn't kill you, but this team right now has such a small margin for error every turnover is a killer. I don't know if he "learn" more but I would lean towards yes. If so improve the pass rush get some LB's and we will be viable for a playoff spot next year.

If owners won't pay rookies like under the old CBA (and I hope you are right), obviously he won't avoid the rookie cap whether he comes out this year or next. But he loses a year of NFL money by waiting and possibly more if the 2011 season doesn't go well.

For the last time, WE WON'T KNOW IF THERE'S A LOCKOUT BY JANUARY 14, 2011. We probably won't know until midnight March 2, 2011. The likelihood is that something gets done sometime in 2011, so Luck would get his money AND playing time.

Rodriguez is "turning things around?" Before that 3-OT squeaker against unranked Illinois, the Wolverines had lost 3 straight, the last one to the unranked Nittany Lions, and they sit 6-3 overall and tied for 7th in the Big Ten conference at 2-3. In his 3rd year as HC. Lloyd Carr got canned for an 9-4 overall and 6-2 conference record in 2007.

Yes, Brent Musburger. What's the problem (other than my slight misspelling of his last name)?

Thought you said that he would leave millions on the table if he doesn't come out this year because there would be a rookie cap in 2012. Anyway, there's not a limit on the years he gets to play in the NFL. If he comes out a year later, he doesn't "lose a yearof NFL money".

Yes, we won't know if there is a lockout by Jan 14. (Also, I thought you had said one was likely). But this is likely the question the Lukc family will be pondering on January 13th, doctor. And if they think their boy will not be playing NFL football in 2011, he just may well stay in school.

Rodriguez is having his best year yet. It's a young team. Michigan will dump him only if they are sure Harbaugh is coming, I think.

Back to the talking heads, eh? What's Marshall Faulk's take on this?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Thought you said that he would leave millions on the table if he doesn't come out this year because there would be a rookie cap in 2012. Anyway, there's not a limit on the years he gets to play in the NFL. If he comes out a year later, he doesn't "lose a yearof NFL money".

Yes, we won't know if there is a lockout by Jan 14. (Also, I thought you had said one was likely). But this is likely the question the Lukc family will be pondering on January 13th, doctor. And if they think their boy will not be playing NFL football in 2011, he just may well stay in school.

Rodriguez is having his best year yet. It's a young team. Michigan will dump him only if they are sure Harbaugh is coming, I think.

Back to the talking heads, eh? What's Marshall Faulk's take on this?

Goodell himself said that a rookie salary cap could come in 2011 at the earliest. If a rookie cap in 2011 was so certain, why the qualifier? And players have finite careers. A year delayed going into the NFL is one less year of making NFL money. They still face wear and tear from that last college season. And if they get injured during that last college season, or their play declines...

The Lucks have a big decision to make. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, he'll definitely be rated the top overall prospect for the 2011 draft. Knowing that, do they gamble on the possibility of a lockout and/or rookie cap and have him return to Stanford for another year, where at best he's again looking at being the top overall pick in 2012 with a definite season and rookie cap? And what if the lockout extends into the 2012 season?

Saying this is Rodriguez' best year isn't saying much. By year 3 Michigan should be better than 7th in the conference (Harbaugh had Stanford tied for 2nd in the Pac-10 in his 3rd year and he's a Michigan alum). At this rate, just another 7 years for them to be tops!

Brent Musburger isn't a "talking head" doc; he's a sportscaster. He was merely reporting what he was told by the Luck family.

Goodell himself said that a rookie salary cap could come in 2011 at the earliest. If a rookie cap in 2011 was so certain, why the qualifier? And players have finite careers. A year delayed going into the NFL is one less year of making NFL money. They still face wear and tear from that last college season. And if they get injured during that last college season, or their play declines...

The Lucks have a big decision to make. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, he'll definitely be rated the top overall prospect for the 2011 draft. Knowing that, do they gamble on the possibility of a lockout and/or rookie cap and have him return to Stanford for another year, where at best he's again looking at being the top overall pick in 2012 with a definite season and rookie cap? And what if the lockout extends into the 2012 season?

Saying this is Rodriguez' best year isn't saying much. By year 3 Michigan should be better than 7th in the conference (Harbaugh had Stanford tied for 2nd in the Pac-10 in his 3rd year and he's a Michigan alum). At this rate, just another 7 years for them to be tops!

Brent Musburger isn't a "talking head" doc; he's a sportscaster. He was merely reporting what he was told by the Luck family.

Well, a rookie cap certainly can't come earlier than 2011, so the Commish is correct. But if there is a CBA by then, there will be a cap---it's not like they would agree to a CBA and add the cap later. If there is no CBA, then I would assume the team could offer him as little as they want becuase there is no bargaining agreement. If he holds out, there will be a rookie cap in place before he signs. If the lockout extends into 2012, then that's 2 years that Luck doesn't get paid "NFL money".

Injury in college. That's always a risk. "Wear and tear"? That's a new one! Look, his career will be just as long no matter when he comes out.

Harbaugh has a good thing going in Stanford. Why leave? Rodriguez was doing pretty well before he got to Michigan too. That program isn't what it used to be. It's like Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. Harbaugh understands whats going on in Michigan. Anyway, Rodriguez stays unless he loses out. If he beats Ohio St., no way they fire him.

Well, a rookie cap certainly can't come earlier than 2011, so the Commish is correct. But if there is a CBA by then, there will be a cap---it's not like they would agree to a CBA and add the cap later. If there is no CBA, then I would assume the team could offer him as little as they want becuase there is no bargaining agreement. If he holds out, there will be a rookie cap in place before he signs. If the lockout extends into 2012, then that's 2 years that Luck doesn't get paid "NFL money".

Injury in college. That's always a risk. "Wear and tear"? That's a new one! Look, his career will be just as long no matter when he comes out.

Harbaugh has a good thing going in Stanford. Why leave? Rodriguez was doing pretty well before he got to Michigan too. That program isn't what it used to be. It's like Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. Harbaugh understands whats going on in Michigan. Anyway, Rodriguez stays unless he loses out. If he beats Ohio St., no way they fire him.

Michigan might not be what it used to be (not that Rodriguez is helping matters any), but it's still a more prestigious program than Stanford. It's also Harbaugh's alma mater. That's why Harbaugh would jump at the chance to coach there.

Now maybe Rodriguez sticks if he beats OSU. But the hard part is doing it, and that's doubtful at best. It's looking like the Wolverines finish out their season with at least 2 losses to the only ranked opponents left (Wisconsin and the aforementioned OSU) and Rodriguez gets canned. And if Harbaugh leaves and Luck is determined to be the top overall pick (both of which have a high likelihood of happening), Luck declares. And if a new CBA is agreed-upon like you think it will be, it's more reason to declare.

As for having the same length career in the NFL regardless, not quite. If Luck turns out to be a good player and plays until he can no longer do it, it's a matter of age catching up with him. If he sucks and is forced out, then his career would have been the same length.

Edited by Doc

How come there are no posts about Lindell choking? He missed the makable one in KC and the extra point against da Bears. KC one definitely cost us that game and the missed extra point meant it wasn't tied after regulation.

There's been plenty of choking going around. Roscoe dropped a long one followed by Lee Evans dropping on the next play. In the Ravens game Shawn Nelson choked by getting the ball stripped. Several DBs have choked by not getting picks when they should have. Spiller choked by fumbling that KO return against Ravens that cost us a TD.

These are team losses. Sure some of Fitz' picks have hurt us, but if he didn't play the way he does, we wouldn't even be in these games. He's a lot better now than he was last year and will continue to improve if given time.

That PAT was blocked, Lindell didn't miss it. Check the game again.

That PAT was blocked, Lindell didn't miss it. Check the game again.

It was blocked because he kicked it too low. On a kick that in close, the kicker is supposed to kick it high to clear the line. As the distance gets longer, the kicker has to drive the ball more to get the distance which causes it to travel over the line lower. An extra point should never be blocked if the kicker doesn't choke and kicks it correctly. Check the game again.

It was blocked because he kicked it too low. On a kick that in close, the kicker is supposed to kick it high to clear the line. As the distance gets longer, the kicker has to drive the ball more to get the distance which causes it to travel over the line lower. An extra point should never be blocked if the kicker doesn't choke and kicks it correctly. Check the game again.

You're not theoretically wrong, but it's clear that YOU, friend, did not follow your own advice and check the game again.

Two lineman--Wood and someone else--are quite literally blown backward as SOON as the ball is snapped. The guy who got the block, and the guy next to him were able to encroach a yard or two into the Buffalo backfield.

Fitz is now in that journeyman category, to the rest of the NFL he is a good back up. ....even then he can't really be trusted to win all by himself when he comes in now can he...

When the game is on the line and he has to make a play to win the game... the pressure gets to him and he hesitates with his passes resulting in the INT's. Fitz would be a good mentor for the next new QB and teach him the ropes.

The thing that Chan Gailey can do is look at a QB and get him to improve his technique, footwork, release, timing and learn how to read defenses and call protections. The things he can't teach are intangibles like the desire to find a way to win.... look at his won lost record as it speaks for itself 8-14-1

Looking more and more like the Bills should have drafted Colt McCoy.... you guys really wanna trust the future of the Bills to Buddy "nap time" Nix?

You're not theoretically wrong, but it's clear that YOU, friend, did not follow your own advice and check the game again.

Two lineman--Wood and someone else--are quite literally blown backward as SOON as the ball is snapped. The guy who got the block, and the guy next to him were able to encroach a yard or two into the Buffalo backfield.

Do you know where a highlight clip of that block is? I can't seem to find it. I'd love to review it. Do you have such a link?

Fitz is now in that journeyman category, to the rest of the NFL he is a good back up. ....even then he can't really be trusted to win all by himself when he comes in now can he...

When the game is on the line and he has to make a play to win the game... the pressure gets to him and he hesitates with his passes resulting in the INT's. Fitz would be a good mentor for the next new QB and teach him the ropes.

The thing that Chan Gailey can do is look at a QB and get him to improve his technique, footwork, release, timing and learn how to read defenses and call protections. The things he can't teach are intangibles like the desire to find a way to win.... look at his won lost record as it speaks for itself 8-14-1

Looking more and more like the Bills should have drafted Colt McCoy.... you guys really wanna trust the future of the Bills to Buddy "nap time" Nix?

McCoy? Please. McCoy's been able to ride his running game and defense. The Bills have neither of those.