Glazer: Merriman to Buffalo

SKRAAPY

I have no idea how this move will pan out, but i don't understand how people can be critical of this move. We have absolutely NOTHING to lose by claiming him...if he's half the player he was in SD, he'd be 50x's better than anything we currently have on the outside passrush. go bills.

Maybe people are worried that he'll take away practice time from Maybin, who is the Bill's real future at the position.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A BIG "IF".

PTR

How? By showing them where to take the injections?

PTR

As a San Diego resident, other than getting occasional 90s in November (like today), I also have followed the Merriman stuff pretty closely. He clearly has not recently been the player he was, and that is obvious, because if he were he would not be on waivers.

The decline some combination of the PEDs, the knee injury he tried to play through, and some other wear and tear.

I hope you are not suggesting that he has nothing left in the tank, and is done as a player though.

He is 26 years old, and in 2007 was an impressive difference maker for a top playoff team and an all pro for the third time in three years. He missed 2008 with knee surgery, and was hobbled in 2009 by a couple of other injuries and his recovery, and didn't look great so far in 2010 again with some injury issues.

But he is so clearly better than what we are starting out there, and there is no reason to think that a 26 year old with only four total NFL seasons of wear and tear is done and over the hill. Maybe he won't get to his PED super star level, but he makes this team better right away, and I'm happy we get him.

Even though I think there is at best a 10% chance of this happening, if by the end of the season, Merriman is playing lights out, the franchise and transition tag numbers are not that bad. This year they were : $9.680m, and $8.373m, We were willing to and going to pay Schobel 9 million to play LB he never played before. Or franchise him and trade him to the team that is going to sign him for a 5th or 4th rounder.

Just to clarify for those hung up on the PED discussion. He had 17 sacks in 12 games AFTER he served his suspension for that. The knee injury cost him all of 2008 and he was significantly nicked up last year. With everything considered he's totally worth a free look.

New GM, same dumb ass moves. Lets keep bringing in other teams washouts because the used to be a name and keep sucking. but hey, ralphs cronies read you guys loving these moves so they keep making them and you guys keep flocking to the stadium to fill his pockets

The Bills could sign Peyton Manning and you'd find a way to be a miserable !@#$.

The Bills are 0-7. Linebacker is a weakness. How does this hurt?

I could care less if this pans out or not. I'm just happy that Nix is willing to make this type of move. I think this is different from the TO move, which was done primarily to fill seats. This move was done bc it fills two central needs: 1) Pass rusher 2) linebacker

Its just good to know that Nix is somewhat on his toes, though I guess everyone is still pissed he didn't claim Gibbson huh?

There are quite a few posters that belong to the "tin foil helmet" brigade. The sooner they're abducted and unable to continue posting drivel, the better.

...of which you're a card carrying member, whether you realize it or not.

Edited by Spiderweb

Even though I think there is at best a 10% chance of this happening, if by the end of the season, Merriman is playing lights out, the franchise and transition tag numbers are not that bad. This year they were : $9.680m, and $8.373m, We were willing to and going to pay Schobel 9 million to play LB he never played before. Or franchise him and trade him to the team that is going to sign him for a 5th or 4th rounder.

If I were Buddy Nix , I don't bring in a guy like Shawne Merriman just to see him walk at the end of the year , franchise tag or not. One would have to assume that Nix should've talk to Merriman's agent first about an extension before claiming him. Why waste the money? To buy a draft pick?b

Did I see correctly this will only cost the Bills 1.7 for the rest of the year? Why the hell not? If he's got something, they can offer him a deal on what could be an up and coming team. If he's got nothing, he'll fit right in and we're done with him in 3 months. I know this might blow our chance at the super bowl this year, but its a feel good story :beer:

...of which you're a card carrying member, whether you realize it or not.

The group that thinks the sky is falling no matter what the Bills do and bitches and moans constantly? No, I didn't realize I was a member of that group, douchebag.

Edited by Punch