The Bills "Starting Front 7"

BillsPhan

Taken off the current depth chart at BuffaloBills.com, if the Bills start off in their 3-4 look this week against Chicago, here would be your starting front 7 if the second string completely replaced the first string, except for Kyle Williams of course:

LDE Alex Carrington

NT Kyle Williams

RDE Spencer Johnson

SLB Arthur Moats

MLB Akin Ayodele

WLB Keith Ellison

JLB Aaron Maybin

Now, considering the Bills are last in most defensive categories after almost half the season, not replacing at least some of the starters is a slap in the face of their back ups who practice hard all week and I'm sure would love the opportunity to do better! Looking at that entire second string, I can't imagine the results being much worse if Edwards grew some cahones' and replaced the entire band of 6 stiffs playing with Kyle Williams this week!!

It seems to me that even bad football players can get motivated to play a little "less badly" if they are benched when they suck as much as these guys have sucked so far in 2010. Chan sits there and tells us he believes in "tough players" and "discipline and hard work." B.S Chan! Bench some of these slackers and then we might believe that hyperbole and "tough talk."

FWIW, we're not the worst D in the league (at least, not right now):

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-o=1&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

We are giving up the most points per game still though...

And all that said, I think we all agree that we'd like to see the young bucks get some PT before next season. I bet we will eventually.

Taken off the current depth chart at BuffaloBills.com, if the Bills start off in their 3-4 look this week against Chicago, here would be your starting front 7 if the second string completely replaced the first string, except for Kyle Williams of course:

LDE Alex Carrington

NT Kyle Williams

RDE Spencer Johnson

SLB Arthur Moats

MLB Akin Ayodele

WLB Keith Ellison

JLB Aaron Maybin

Now, considering the Bills are last in most defensive categories after almost half the season, not replacing at least some of the starters is a slap in the face of their back ups who practice hard all week and I'm sure would love the opportunity to do better! Looking at that entire second string, I can't imagine the results being much worse if Edwards grew some cahones' and replaced the entire band of 6 stiffs playing with Kyle Williams this week!!

It seems to me that even bad football players can get motivated to play a little "less badly" if they are benched when they suck as much as these guys have sucked so far in 2010. Chan sits there and tells us he believes in "tough players" and "discipline and hard work." B.S Chan! Bench some of these slackers and then we might believe that hyperbole and "tough talk."

I don't think they suck because they aren't trying. I think the coaches believe they are trying too (Gailey mentioned this in the press conference, and even national media have commented on the Bills effort). They just aren't talented enough.

Why does everyone get off on punishing the players? It's not going to equal more wins. Yes, I think it would be beneficial to get the backups in there, but not all at once.

here's my front seven:

carrington - troup - k williams - kelsay

maybin - poz - moats

i don't think maybin is going to get any better on the sidelines. he's still young and i don't think we've seen all he has to offer. i don't think any of the vets are gonna be a long term answer. however, if maybin continues to suck, then get batten in there asap.

edit: or coleman, if not batten

Edited by uncle flap

here's my front seven:

maybin - poz - moats

i don't think maybin is going to get any better on the sidelines. he's still young and i don't think we've seen all he has to offer. i don't think any of the vets are gonna be a long term answer. however, if maybin continues to suck, then get batten in there asap.

Any front 7 combination that includes Kelsay as a starter, is an automatic FAIL. The guy can't get off the blocks of backup tight ends and fullbacks, how do you think he'd do going against an OT for the entire game?! He had 1 assist in 75 minutes of football at OLB last week, if you put him at DE, he won't have a single tackle for the remainder of the season. Every offensive play, he'll watch from the "pancake" position.

Messages like this are for people who don't know how to plan or communicate

I'd actually be perfectly fine with benching some of our defense. I you think about it:

Kelsay- Do I need to say anymore? (Bench)

Stroud- I really used to like the play of the beast, but his age is showing (Bench)

Edwards-Maybe i'm wrong but to me he disappears alot and doesn't seem to get much consistent push (Bench)

Poz- I'm a huge fan and am still hoping it gets better (Start)

Davis- Aging and sure he's got the size but wouldn't it be fun to see some playmaking? or plymaker potential?(SITUATIONAL)

Williams- Everyone agrees he's not to be touched.(STAY)

So thats 3 out of our front 7 who probably wouldn't be missed to much if they sat out for a game. It could really do a positive to give them a wake up call and it would show us fans how our 2nd stringers can play. Throw Carrington, Moats and S.Johnson and see what they can do, it'd make our defense interesting. Wake some of the defense up a little bit make them realize they have to show that they can start or even BE in the NFL(Kelsay).

Love the idea BillsPhan

It is absolutely criminal that Kelsay is starting anywhere on this team. He is just awful. He played as bad a game last week as I have ever seen a front seven player play. He was abused or was just plain out of position on every single play. It makes absolutely no sense for him to start again. I would let Moats, Coleman and Maybin rotate at outside LB for the entire game. How are these guys going to improve if they never play? On the D line I would bench Stroud and Edwards and Johnson. (watch his play and he is not the answer to our D line troubles) and rotate McCargo, Carrington and Troup in with Kyle Williams on the D line. The sad thing is looking at the names of our guys, there really isn't much talent there. The cupboard right now is just BARE. Anyone who doesn't rip Buddy Nix for putting this garbage of a defense (and offensive tackles for that matter) on the field just doesn't get it. I find it absolutely mindboggling how a professional sports team can have so little talent at so many positions. It doesn't make sense. But I still watch them and root each week for a victory as much as if we were heading to the Super Bowl-now that doesn't make much sense either.. LOL

FWIW, we're not the worst D in the league (at least, not right now):

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-o=1&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

We are giving up the most points per game still though...

And all that said, I think we all agree that we'd like to see the young bucks get some PT before next season. I bet we will eventually.

Actually, they have been last in the league for more games than any other team, so one could

still consider then the worst D in the league.

Oh yeah, then there's that 30+ points / game thing.

Let's not split hairs here.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Sure kyle is great and the young guys have potential! But the bills front seven's biggest problem is they are week at the point of attack! IMHO, that's the main reason teams run on us the way they do!

When looking at passing situations, the only pressure we basicly get is from kyle! The others are flat out weak and the young guys need to get stronger and develope technique!

I ain't crazy bout maybin at all, but they don't use him right! Its simple! Let him stand and move him around! At least they could try it! Load one side like Miami did when dansby crushed trent! Wtf, try something!

Any front 7 combination that includes Kelsay as a starter, is an automatic FAIL. The guy can't get off the blocks of backup tight ends and fullbacks, how do you think he'd do going against an OT for the entire game?! He had 1 assist in 75 minutes of football at OLB last week, if you put him at DE, he won't have a single tackle for the remainder of the season. Every offensive play, he'll watch from the "pancake" position.

no, an automatic "fail" is using an outdated internet meme - jk...

seriously, stroud and d edwards haven't impressed me. at least kelsay is a positive locker room influence and leader.

how do i think he'd do against an OT for an entire game? not great, but prolly better than stroud or edwards. kelsay has been pretty consistent over the years as a DE. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KelsCh21.htm

not prow bowl numbers or anything but, i since as long as he's been resigned and is a captain - let's put him where he can play to his potential.

if stroud were playing better this year, he'd have my vote (for many of the reasons i chose kelsay). but he isn't.

and if the bills had better options, then i'd be all for cutting stroud, edwards, AND kelsay. but they don't

Stroud is certainly not "over the hill". He is simply playing out of position. Just because a guy loses weight doesn't make him a defensive end. I would love to see a 4-3 with Kyle, Stroud, and Troup (when he develops) all rotating. Not sure what the hell to do about a pass rush. Hopefully, Merriman comes in and has that type of impact

here's my front seven:

maybin - poz - moats

You lost me at Kelsay. He should be on the waiver wire.

LDE Alex Carrington

NT Kyle Williams

RDE Spencer Johnson

SLB Arthur Moats

MLB Akin Ayodele

WLB Keith Ellison

JLB Aaron Maybin

Are you serious? We would get killed for real with this line up. Moats is the only backup doing anything, I would like to see what Carrington can do though.