Time for NFL to ban Time out just before Kick!

turbobike

It's time for the NFL to step in and BAN the timeouts just before the kicker hits the ball. Some thing like no timeouts with 5 seconds on the play clock. What say you?

And if it had been the reverse situation and the Bills had won the game by doing that most people here would be praising Gailey for his game management.

I do, actually, like your plan with a concrete number of seconds left on the playclock and would be for it.

It gets old and annoying the way it is. A football game drags on as it is without that adding to it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy fix. Only players can call a timeout when you line up in FG formation.

How is this an easy fix? lol...you dont think a player on the field cant just do the exact same thing and call a TO just before the ball is snapped?

For those complaining once again about rules: The NFL rule book will NEVER be written in a way so that every rule benefits the Bills on every single play. Everyone plays by the same sets of rules and other teams find a way to win. MOST importantly, we are not losing games because of Refs or Rules, we are losing games because of a pourous D, a terrible turnover ratio with bad INT's and fumbles, missed throws to open recievers, dropped passes, penalties, and a number of other things that are all within our own control.

Edited by Alphadawg7

All of you are missing a key point...the rule changed a few years ago so that the coach is allowed to call a timeout. It used to be that only the players on the field could call a timeout.

Now that this is allowed, I don't know how they get a timeout if the play starts. Can we presume that the coach knows when the ball is going to be snapped and calls the timeout immediately before that? Probably not, so I would think that the coach just guesses. If they're allowed to stop the play once the ball is snapped, then that needs to be changed.

The rule that should be eliminated is the one allowing coaches to call timeout. Either that or disallow timeouts called by the sideline with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. Something...ANYTHING to stop this stupid tactic.

I understand. This is why the game is going downhill with less control in the player's hands... And too much control by the coach... IE: look what headsets and tech has done. Again, the game is "bigger" but not "better."

The players should be the only one calling timeouts, making the final choices. The term "coach" doesn't mean "ultimate ruler."

Anyway on the tech front... Also... Who really knows that the headsets are being shut off. The point is, not conspiracy (I don't believe that), things are so much murkier now... It creates negative perception of the game.

Mark my words, the game will kill itself unless the fools embracing this aberration of the classic game wisen up.

How is this an easy fix? lol...you dont think a player on the field cant just do the exact same thing and call a TO just before the ball is snapped?

For those complaining once again about rules: The NFL rule book will NEVER be written in a way so that every rule benefits the Bills on every single play. Everyone plays by the same sets of rules and other teams find a way to win. MOST importantly, we are not losing games because of Refs or Rules, we are losing games because of a pourous D, a terrible turnover ratio with bad INT's and fumbles, missed throws to open recievers, dropped passes, penalties, and a number of other things that are all within our own control.

I agree. Not complaing. Just taking time out to say what I believe about the game. Sure I wouln't feel as bad if the Bills iced the other team... YET, I still would feel the same way about the rules, tech, and other things... I would still argue to change them!

Why are you crying?

I don't see people in this thread crying that we lost the game because of the timeout, only that the timeout is a stupid rule in general. I told a coworker about the game and his first comment was, "That timeout thing is a stupid rule." It's not just Bills fans complaining about it - it's a dumb rule.

Waaaah.

People are whining because it happened to the Bills. It's a dumb rule that you can call a timeout to your advantage?

Waaaah.

Uh, OK. Your "theory" is exactly how it works. Anyway, if we missed the first attempt, no doubt you and many others would be overjoyed at our good fortune of having a second chance. You wouldn't be calling it a "stupid rule" this morning if Lindell had made the second attempt after missing the first. You would instead be laughing at Haley for trying to "ice" him.

Rules suck when you are at the wrong end of their outcome.

Did you not read what I said?

I've said a number of times in the past (twice in this thread) that it's a stupid tactic no matter the outcome. It's within the rules, so I can live with the outcome, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

This is just like a hitter in baseball dropping down a bunt in the 8th inning of a no-hitter. It's within the rules, but it's a silly, chickensh*t way to break up the no-hitter.

Did you not read what I said?

I've said a number of times in the past (twice in this thread) that it's a stupid tactic no matter the outcome. It's within the rules, so I can live with the outcome, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

This is just like a hitter in baseball dropping down a bunt in the 8th inning of a no-hitter. It's within the rules, but it's a silly, chickensh*t way to break up the no-hitter.

Sounds like you want to ban all strategy from all sports and just play arcade style.

Whats the point of baseball...to win. How do you win...score more points then the other team. How do you score points...with base runners. How do you get base runners...with hits, walks, and bunts.

So are you saying you want some rule that states you cant bunt if its the 7th inning or later and the opposing pitcher has a potential no hitter? Or, maybe the pitching team should just be prepared for the bunt and make the defensive play to defend against the hitting teams strategy...

Sports would be nothing more than a giant arcade version of itself if all strategic plays were removed from the game.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Not sure if there is an easy fix, but as a fan I hate this. "Is the kick good, did they call a time out, should we cheer, etc?"......Takes the spontaneity out of being a fan.

So, yes having a player have to call it, at least I would see the timeout being called. So, if they can't fix this, at least make a player call it.

Waaaah.

People are whining because it happened to the Bills. It's a dumb rule that you can call a timeout to your advantage?

Waaaah.

No. Totally wrong. Because of my apathy when it doesn't happen to the Bills, I don't bring it up. Now that it happened to the Bills, I use the situation as vector to convey my true thoughts on the rule. I would still have the same argument if the Bills benefited from the rule.

Yes... It is a dumb rule when you keep giving the coaches more and more ultimate power... The game suffers. Look at the mess young Qb's are in now? Didn't you just love how McMahon used to get Ditka's goat. Those '85 Bears would have won nothing today with a control freak like Ditka behind every piddly move.

With regard to the no-hitter, bunt reference... Can't the team in the field (ie: no-hitter team) make an error on purpose... Of course they can't make it look like a pruposeful error... But my point is, they can at least protect the no-no.

So yes, the analogy is stupid, that is why it does not happen.

Ok I gotta ask because this is getting really !@#$ing stupid. What rule is does everyone have a problem with?

Coach calling timeout. Game should be in the PLAYER'S control, just like it always was.

The D players are in the line of sight of the kicking team. They should call, then the kicking team can see and stop the play.

With regard to the no-hitter, bunt reference... Can't the team in the field (ie: no-hitter team) make an error on purpose... Of course they can't make it look like a pruposeful error... But my point is, they can at least protect the no-no.

So yes, the analogy is stupid, that is why it does not happen.

Coach calling timeout. Game should be in the PLAYER'S control, just like it always was.

The D players are in the line of sight of the kicking team. They should call, then the kicking team can see and stop the play.

So how does the offense stop the play AFTER timeout has been called. :wallbash:

Ok I gotta ask because this is getting really !@#$ing stupid. What rule is does everyone have a problem with?

So how does the offense stop the play AFTER timeout has been called. :wallbash:

I agree with you (CJ) that this isn't a bad rule because to arbitrarily decide when a team can and cannot use its 3 timeouts is stupid.

But, the caveat here is what I could be persuaded to agree with. Maybe the players on the field should have to call the TO so that the they are in the line of sight of the offense. This prevents the "double kick" which is irritating.

I agree with you (CJ) that this isn't a bad rule because to arbitrarily decide when a team can and cannot use its 3 timeouts is stupid.

But, the caveat here is what I could be persuaded to agree with. Maybe the players on the field should have to call the TO so that the they are in the line of sight of the offense. This prevents the "double kick" which is irritating.

Ok I don't get this. How does having the players call the time out. Their call is right before the snap just as the coach does. The only thing that might happen is the offense doesn't get the snap off. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Either way I don't think the kicker gives a ****. As someone mentioned earlier they like it. Gives them the opportunity to judge the kick and get a second chance.

It seems the people most offended by this are the ones that don't understand what's happening.

The TO is presnap.

The coach isn't telling the ref to blow the whistle at the snap. They are saying I will be calling a TO soon, so have your whistle ready. This warning system happens a lot - like a surprise onside kick or other trick play. Often times the refs are warned pre game, or shortly before there occurrence to make sure they are properly officiated. Same thing.

Ok I don't get this. How does having the players call the time out. Their call is right before the snap just as the coach does. The only thing that might happen is the offense doesn't get the snap off. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Either way I don't think the kicker gives a ****. As someone mentioned earlier they like it. Gives them the opportunity to judge the kick and get a second chance.

I'm actually on your side. I was mainly playing devils advocate. I think it is a stupid use of a time out which, if anything, gives the Kicker a better chance.

I'd rather the coaches just not do it as it is a useless tactic that only serves to slow down the game.

Some kickers prefer the warmup. Also, I think simply for rhythm kickers will atleast put a foot on it either way. Once they start approaching I think you are getting a kick. I'm sure most of the time they hear the whistle and see the refs but kick anyway.