are we done talking about fitz!!

13player

I guess when the defending Super Bowl MVP throws 4 INT's to the same player in the same game, that makes him mediocre and only good enough to be a back up QB. Or Favre, with almost every available QB record throws almost 1 INT for every 2 TD's he will only be a back up QB. Fitz is beginning to come into his own. He has made a couple bonehead mistakes that have cost us a game or two, and he may not be the next Favre or Marino or Manning, but I for one, think he is the spark we have been needing, with a couple holes plugged, the wins will come.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spritzy will be replaced soon enough by our #1 overall pick, so there isn't any reason to panic over his costly bumbles. He is the perfect guy to lead our almost-winless season - sure, he'll give some games away but at least they are entertaining.

Aside from some homer fans who will annoint anyone under center for the Bills 'the next Jim Kelly', most all football people understand who Ryan Fitzpatrick is. A game, journeyman backup quarterback.

We can still like him, much the way that everyone loved Frank Reich. He'll be back behind the clipboard soon enough, and should be a great influence on our next shot at an elite-level franchise quarterback.

I guess you will be disappointed when they take a DL with the first pick of the draft, and the second, and the third and then some LB's.

"Almost" plays don't count. That's how it's relevant. And I'm no Fitz lover.

Except when you are evaluating a performance. Stat sheets don't tell the story of the game, and in the reality of the game, he threw 4 bad passes that should have all been INT's, one of which a certain return for a TD on first play of the game. 3 of them were dropped, which saved him and allowed the game to stay close when it really shouldnt have the way our offense played and defense played. You dont get to ignore that because if you keep putting it in the defenders hands, they are going to catch some of them, which they finally caught the 4th one while we were driving to win the game in regulation.

This doesnt even include some of the other wildly inaccurate throws he made, including the missed game winner to Spiller. Fitz is a great backup, plays well enough to keep you competitive and just bad enough to hurt your chances of winning. If he can cut down the bone head mistakes that plague him at times, then I can see him being a full time starter, but he has never been able to do that thus far and still continues to make some really bad throws. This is Tyler Thigpen part 2 under Chan IMHO...makes him a serviceable fantasy QB though

Edited by Alphadawg7

Here are Fitz's stats once we tied the game for the end of regulation and OT: (Four drives)

5-15, 33% comp, 62 yards, 4.13 ypa, 0 TD, 1 INT, and an intentional grounding penalty...

Send him to the Pro Bowl...lol. Guy is a gamer sure, but he had a game where he should have ended with 4 picks but KC gifted 3 back with straight drops. His first half was terrible and he was not very good in the 4 drives after he tied the game where he could have gotten us a win by completing just 33% of his throws with an INT. So outside of his one drive that led to the tie, what else did he exactly do all day?

Here are Fitz's stats from the 2nd half kickoff up until he threw the INT to Berry.

11-18, 61% comp, 104 yards, 5.77 ypa, 1 TD, 0 INT, and several scrambles including a key 7 yard run on 3 and 3 to keep the FG scoring drive alive...

Do I need to mention that throwing a TD on 4th and goal is a good play, too?

Or how about engineering a 15 play, 8:57 drive to start the second half?

Even the most cynical of cherry pickers would have to agree that this answers the question of, "What else did he exactly do all day?"

Or, maybe not.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I guess when the defending Super Bowl MVP throws 4 INT's to the same player in the same game, that makes him mediocre and only good enough to be a back up QB. Or Favre, with almost every available QB record throws almost 1 INT for every 2 TD's he will only be a back up QB. Fitz is beginning to come into his own. He has made a couple bonehead mistakes that have cost us a game or two, and he may not be the next Favre or Marino or Manning, but I for one, think he is the spark we have been needing, with a couple holes plugged, the wins will come.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sorry but his logic just doesnt make sense to me. Fitz hasnt had just 1 bad game, so idk why some people keep using that stat. He has had ONE great game. He was ok to mediocre in his other 4 starts this season. Can u say that same thing about Brees or Manning? Have they been only mediocre in the rest of their starts? The answers no. So comparing them is asinine. Great Qbs have great games all the time, and yes an occasional bad one. Not to mention 2 of the 3 bad games listed(manning, brady "bad games") they still won. I dont think anyone here is saying Fitz sucks. But its important to look at fitzs entire body of work. And the people who are arguing against him are simply saying this shows he is not the answer.

Except when you are evaluating a performance. Stat sheets don't tell the story of the game, and in the reality of the game, he threw 4 bad passes that should have all been INT's, one of which a certain return for a TD on first play of the game. 3 of them were dropped, which saved him and allowed the game to stay close when it really shouldnt have the way our offense played and defense played. You dont get to ignore that because if you keep putting it in the defenders hands, they are going to catch some of them, which they finally caught the 4th one while we were driving to win the game in regulation.

This doesnt even include some of the other wildly inaccurate throws he made, including the missed game winner to Spiller. Fitz is a great backup, plays well enough to keep you competitive and just bad enough to hurt your chances of winning. If he can cut down the bone head mistakes that plague him at times, then I can see him being a full time starter, but he has never been able to do that thus far and still continues to make some really bad throws. This is Tyler Thigpen part 2 under Chan IMHO...makes him a serviceable fantasy QB though

The next questions would be who made the mistake on the near INT's? Was it Fitz or the receiver? Did the wind play a factor? Maybe none of these did, but I'd be interested to know.

And if he continues to play like yesterday and most of the mistakes were his fault, put in the next guy. It's better to find out if one of the guys they do have is a possible answer, because there is no guarantee that any QB in the draft will be a success.

Im sorry but his logic just doesnt make sense to me. Fitz hasnt had just 1 bad game, so idk why some people keep using that stat. He has had ONE great game. He was ok to mediocre in his other 4 starts this season. Can u say that same thing about Brees or Manning? Have they been only mediocre in the rest of their starts? The answers no. So comparing them is asinine. Great Qbs have great games all the time, and yes an occasional bad one. Not to mention 2 of the 3 bad games listed(manning, brady "bad games") they still won. I dont think anyone here is saying Fitz sucks. But its important to look at fitzs entire body of work. And the people who are arguing against him are simply saying this shows he is not the answer.

:worthy:

I can't speak for anyone else around here so I won't. I, too, don't think that Fitz is the proverbial "franchise" once-in-a-decade type of QB. Nobody I know does. But, unless the Bills are in a position to pick that player when their turn comes in the next draft, I AM saying that we could do A LOT worse than Fitz is currently doing and the FO can address other critical needs.

What he did against the Ravens was simply a masterful job of quarterbacking. What he did hadn't been done to them in a long, long time. Especially in their yard. I can't easily dismiss that as a fluke. At least not yet. And he did enough in a tough place to play yesterday to have us in a position to win the game. Ultimately, his INT didn't hurt us. It just didn't help. There's a HUGE difference. If Lindell makes the second one after the time out in OT, nobody is complaining. Well, almost nobody. There are those that complain no matter what.

GO BILLS!!!

Fitz is a great backup, plays well enough to keep you competitive and just bad enough to hurt your chances of winning.

I can agree with this. ---Your observations are what most Back-ups do. Look at our roster, is there anyone more worthy of starting?

Every fan gets dissapointed with their QB play from time to time and can scruitinize their play. Fitz and his recent accomplishments of 'resurrecting' Evans and propeling Stevie Johnson's career so that he has become a weekly mention on the NFL channel are something that noone else on our roster has accomplished.

Fitz is not the Franchize answer but he is adequate for now, all things considered, week eight, 0-7, etc etc.... When we bring in a Franchize QB, Fitz should remain as the seviceable 'back-up' that he is. Or is the Alphadawg going to argue this meager point as well? :wallbash:

I watch alot of San Diego games, Rivers is no better than Fitz. Rivers might be a bit better on the deep ball, but not by much. Really, Rivers wouldn't do any better than Fitz out there. It takes all the guys on offense to do everything right to make a play work. The QB is just one piece of the puzzle. I really don't want to take a chance on a QB , and watch him struggle for the next 3 years. Fitz can do the job just fine, lets focus on RT, DL and LB's in the next draft.

I can agree with this. ---Your observations are what most Back-ups do. Look at our roster, is there anyone more worthy of starting?

Every fan gets dissapointed with their QB play from time to time and can scruitinize their play. Fitz and his recent accomplishments of 'resurrecting' Evans and propeling Stevie Johnson's career so that he has become a weekly mention on the NFL channel are something that noone else on our roster has accomplished.

Fitz is not the Franchize answer but he is adequate for now, all things considered, week eight, 0-7, etc etc.... When we bring in a Franchize QB, Fitz should remain as the seviceable 'back-up' that he is. Or is the Alphadawg going to argue this meager point as well? :wallbash:

I dont disagree with any of this, why would I argue it, its essentially the same thing I have said all along. I actually like Fitz a lot and the way he plays on the field with so much heart. Thats the kind of players we need more of. At the same time, I just don't see him as a long term solution the way he is mistake prone. However, I would love to see him in Buffalo still as our backup or even a stop gap while we groom a potential franchise guy.

Given this season is a complete wash, I would actually like to see Brohm at some point get a few starts to see what he can do with Chans offense with the starters. Other than that, I dont have a problem with Fitz as our QB right now, I just also don't see our franchise guy in him right...of course, that doesnt mean he cant get better and develop into that guy as he shows potential.

I can't speak for anyone else around here so I won't. I, too, don't think that Fitz is the proverbial "franchise" once-in-a-decade type of QB. Nobody I know does. But, unless the Bills are in a position to pick that player when their turn comes in the next draft, I AM saying that we could do A LOT worse than Fitz is currently doing and the FO can address other critical needs.

What he did against the Ravens was simply a masterful job of quarterbacking. What he did hadn't been done to them in a long, long time. Especially in their yard. I can't easily dismiss that as a fluke. At least not yet. And he did enough in a tough place to play yesterday to have us in a position to win the game. Ultimately, his INT didn't hurt us. It just didn't help. There's a HUGE difference. If Lindell makes the second one after the time out in OT, nobody is complaining. Well, almost nobody. There are those that complain no matter what.

GO BILLS!!!

I have to admit to having been very pleasantly surprised by what Fitz achieved against the Ravens. He threw with improved accuracy, made quick decisions, and made the right decisions.

But this game against Kansas City was about what I would have expected from him before the season began. A few good plays here and there. But an overall performance which demonstrated why, when he'd been a free agent a few years ago, no general managers saw him as more than a backup. Alphadawg's point about the dropped interceptions is well-taken. Fitz came away from the game with bad stats: a low completion percentage, a lousy yards-per-attempt, only 10 points in five quarters of play.

I'll grant this was just one game. Kansas City is a tough place to play, and maybe Fitz's small hands worked against him in the windy conditions. And as has been pointed out, every quarterback has a bad day now and then.

But Fitz came into this game with a lot to prove--at least if his goal is to be a long-term starter. Obviously, he took a significant step back in achieving that goal. We still have the rest of the season to evaluate him, and to determine whether the Ravens game or the KC game was the real fluke.

But Fitz came into this game with a lot to prove--at least if his goal is to be a long-term starter. Obviously, he took a significant step back in achieving that goal. We still have the rest of the season to evaluate him, and to determine whether the Ravens game or the KC game was the real fluke.

I disagree, he had an OK game that any QB would have had. That OL wasn't blocking anybody, they were jail breaking on some of those plays. Cassel thru a few would be picks in that game as well. All QB's do that. We need a RT, DL and LB's before we need a QB.

I disagree, he had an OK game that any QB would have had. That OL wasn't blocking anybody, they were jail breaking on some of those plays. Cassel thru a few would be picks in that game as well. All QB's do that. We need a RT, DL and LB's before we need a QB.

Some fans here are clueless and obviously lack the capacity to factor in how hard it is to have a great passing day in the conditions Fitzpatrick was facing yesterday. Swirling winds, no running game (Jackson sucked), loud stadium, road game. Yet he and his receivers were able to make enough plays to put the Bills in position to win the game. Fans are acting like brainless fools today. Fitzpatrick did as good as any QB in the league would have done given those tough conditions. He still needs to play his butt off the rest of the season to have a chance of nailing down the Bills' QB spot, but this grilling Fitzpatrick for yesterday is just plain stupid and I expect more intelligence from Bills fans.

I completely disagree with this post. All QB's do not do what Fitz has done collectively for the season. Elite level QB's play lots of great games and maybe a few bad ones. They don't play consistently mediocre ones and 1 great game. Also elite QB's find was to win and drive there teams down the field to win. Again no one here is saying Fitz sucks. He is completely serviceable.

As far as you comparing Rivers to Fitz. I've seen a lot of Philip Rivers as well. To compare them is completely asinine as well. Rivers body of work speaks for itself. I don't really understand how you can compare the two. Since taking over starting duties Rivers has taken his team to the playoffs each year. And he has been to the pro bowl 2 times. This year, he leads the #1 passing attack in NFL. He has had 5 games of passing over 300 yards(there's that not playing mediocre all the time, but playing great all the time). Not to mention 2 of those games were over 400 yards!! He has 15 tds with 7 int. He has played more games that Fitz this season, but seeing as Rivers has consistency on his side I'd say its not a fluke that he is doing this well. All of this, while not even having his #1 wideout this year. Idk, what your watching but Rivers is light years ahead of Fitz. This week he was even able to win and throw for over 300 despite Malcolm Floyd, Legedu Naanee, and Craig Davis all missed the game, and Antonio Gates was hurt. And against a very good Titans defense. Hmmm being able to have a great game despite who is playing at receiver. Does that sound like another Elite NFL QB? Sure does. I think you may have heard of him, in case you haven't his name is Peyton Manning.

He has had ONE great game. He was ok to mediocre in his other 4 starts this season. Can u say that same thing about Brees or Manning? Have they been only mediocre in the rest of their starts? The answers no.

Okay, two points in rebuttal: First, it takes more than just one start to jump up into being the 2nd highest rated passer in the league after a handful of games. We all know he won't REMAIN at that level, but he's played decent ball since getting his job ack. As far as the Brees and Manning comparison, Brees had 3 years and like 30 starts before he started to become more accurate and consistent. If he had been all that great in the early part of his career, Philip Rivers would be on another team. I'm not saying Fitz will be the next Brees, but sometimes QBs deveop later on after they've been in the league a while. IF Fitz can maintain the same level of play he's been at the last few games AND he can fix some of the late game mindfarts, I'd have no problem keeping him as the starter for a while

Okay, two points in rebuttal: First, it takes more than just one start to jump up into being the 2nd highest rated passer in the league after a handful of games. We all know he won't REMAIN at that level, but he's played decent ball since getting his job ack. As far as the Brees and Manning comparison, Brees had 3 years and like 30 starts before he started to become more accurate and consistent. If he had been all that great in the early part of his career, Philip Rivers would be on another team. I'm not saying Fitz will be the next Brees, but sometimes QBs deveop later on after they've been in the league a while. IF Fitz can maintain the same level of play he's been at the last few games AND he can fix some of the late game mindfarts, I'd have no problem keeping him as the starter for a while

Well you were right about one thing.... he won't remain the 2nd highest rated QB in the league.

QB ratings

Also that seemed like one point overall, i don't think you ever stated your 2nd point, or I missed it. Im confused as to why you say everyone knows he won't remain at that level. So basically you are admitting he isn't an elite level QB because he can't keep the stats up? Kinda proves the point i was making that he is a serviceable QB and maybe not the long term answer, no?

Listen, I am not saying he sucks, I actually enjoyed his play in the Baltimore game, it was exciting. And yes he does have the rest of the season to prove that he deserves to be a starter. But people can't get upset when other people say he is what he is. Or he is what we thought he was. Its not that the KC game was his only mediocre game to judge him by, he played 3 other fairly mediocre games this season as well, which i think most fans are not taking into account.

Some fans here are clueless and obviously lack the capacity to factor in how hard it is to have a great passing day in the conditions Fitzpatrick was facing yesterday. Swirling winds, no running game (Jackson sucked), loud stadium, road game. Yet he and his receivers were able to make enough plays to put the Bills in position to win the game. Fans are acting like brainless fools today. Fitzpatrick did as good as any QB in the league would have done given those tough conditions. He still needs to play his butt off the rest of the season to have a chance of nailing down the Bills' QB spot, but this grilling Fitzpatrick for yesterday is just plain stupid and I expect more intelligence from Bills fans.

Agree with all your points, especially the highlighted. Even the super bowl Bills got killed in KC during the regular season (twice I think) before returning the favor at home during the playoffs.

Well you were right about one thing.... he won't remain the 2nd highest rated QB in the league.

QB ratings

Also that seemed like one point overall, i don't think you ever stated your 2nd point, or I missed it. Im confused as to why you say everyone knows he won't remain at that level. So basically you are admitting he isn't an elite level QB because he can't keep the stats up? Kinda proves the point i was making that he is a serviceable QB and maybe not the long term answer, no?

Listen, I am not saying he sucks, I actually enjoyed his play in the Baltimore game, it was exciting. And yes he does have the rest of the season to prove that he deserves to be a starter. But people can't get upset when other people say he is what he is. Or he is what we thought he was. Its not that the KC game was his only mediocre game to judge him by, he played 3 other fairly mediocre games this season as well, which i think most fans are not taking into account.

I think we probably agree more than we disagree, it's just that I'm not a believer that you need Joe Montana in order to win superbowls. I think it's pretty clear that you can have an average, game manager type QB at the helm when you have other pieces in place. There are arguments for both sides of the issue, and both sides are valid. You have the Montanas, Bradys, and Elways winning SBs just like you have the Dilfers, Hostettlers, and Brad Johnsons doing it. My personal belief is that it's better to have a great defense than it is a great QB, so yeah, even though I don't think for a minute that Fitz is the 2nd best QB in the NFL, I think that for now he's "fine" as our starter. I think he'll put us in position to win games more often than he'll be the reason we lose. If the next Peyton Manning or Dan marino comes along in the draft, then great...take him. But I just don't know that that person will be there in this draft. So that being said, I say let Fitzy play.