Fitzpatrick=Derek Anderson, hope not!

Mr. T

Like most everyone else I'm more than a little surprised to see the level of play that Fitz has shown over the past 4 weeks. I really, really hope he proves me and a lot of people dead wrong about thinking he was nothing more than a decent backup QB. The Bills need this to be the case so they can move on and start filling some other serious problems.

But I can't help not thinking about what Derek Anderson did a few years ago with the Browns. A pro bowl year had everyone fooled into thinking he was going to be the man in Cleveland for a long while. Hasn't done anything since that ONE big year.

Man, I want Fitz to be the real deal!

Fitz has forgotton more about reading defenses than Anderson has yet to learn. Anderson never adapted to what defenses took away from him. Fitz seems to have defenses where he wants them at the moment. I lost count of how many times he audibled last week.

Yes he will continue to be inaccurate, especially in crucial times. And he's going to try to force a few when he shouldn't because he's confident. He's just plain going to have a bad day now and then like every QB.

But there is no doubt he knows how to take what a defense is giving him. And EVERY defense gives you something. What he did to the Ravens hadn't been done in years to that team. It was masterful. You keep taking what a defense gives you and sooner or later you can start taking what you want.

No chance he pulls a Derek Anderson.

And no chance Anderson pulls a Fitzgerald, either. I've seen too much of him to know he can't fool a decent defense and rarely can he adjust at the LOS.

GO BILLS!!!

Like most everyone else I'm more than a little surprised to see the level of play that Fitz has shown over the past 4 weeks. I really, really hope he proves me and a lot of people dead wrong about thinking he was nothing more than a decent backup QB. The Bills need this to be the case so they can move on and start filling some other serious problems.

But I can't help not thinking about what Derek Anderson did a few years ago with the Browns. A pro bowl year had everyone fooled into thinking he was going to be the man in Cleveland for a long while. Hasn't done anything since that ONE big year.

Actually, he didn't fool too many people on the inside. After he made it to the pro bowl, there were anonymous rumblings from within the Browns camp that Anderson really wasn't that good. Players nor coaches came out and talked about Anderson being a potential franchise quarterback. I thought it was odd considering the banner year he had, but he proved all the naysayers right the following year. Anderson never had the support and confidence of all his receivers like Fitzy does. Anderson never had O-linemen talking about how much he knows and helps the offense like Fitzy does. There was almost none of the buzz that Fitzy is getting right now. We need to let the season play out, but if Fitz continues to perform I'll be confident he won't turn into a Derek Anderson.

Fitz has forgotton more about reading defenses than Anderson has yet to learn. Anderson never adapted to what defenses took away from him. Fitz seems to have defenses where he wants them at the moment. I lost count of how many times he audibled last week.

Yes he will continue to be inaccurate, especially in crucial times. And he's going to try to force a few when he shouldn't because he's confident. He's just plain going to have a bad day now and then like every QB.

But there is no doubt he knows how to take what a defense is giving him. And EVERY defense gives you something. What he did to the Ravens hadn't been done in years to that team. It was masterful. You keep taking what a defense gives you and sooner or later you can start taking what you want.

No chance he pulls a Derek Anderson.

And no chance Anderson pulls a Fitzgerald, either. I've seen too much of him to know he can't fool a decent defense and rarely can he adjust at the LOS.

GO BILLS!!!

The thing I am loving about Fitz is there always seems to be a positive option.

Everybody covered? No problem I'll just RUN it for 10 yards....but he doesn't get all run happy like Losman did....his mind is processing the reads really quickly and he is making his decisions really quickly.

Or, he might just end up being a Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, or Yancy Thigpen.

I can't recall one time any of them played like Fitzpatrick is playing. I haven't seen most of the games they started, but I don't think they played at this high of a level.

Fitz is getting better each week, more accurate, more aggressive, and quicker decisions.

I agree, more is needed, but this looks pretty good, you have to admit. I think Buffalo has their quarterback, finally.

Anderson only completed 56.5 percent of passes and fell off precipitously once November came in 2006, his only good statistical season. Fitz has hit on over 63 percent of throws this year and, with November about to dawn, we'll find out pretty quickly whether he's the real deal or an Anderson-style flash in the pan.

I used to loathe Fitz because it seemed he was nothing more than a career backup, and thus playing him was a waste of time, but he has made me look like a fool this season. Hopefully it continues, because it's sure as hell fun to watch real quarterbacking, and it would be nice to keep building the defense through the draft rather than spending a high pick on a QB. Godspeed, Fitz.

In the preseason I predicted Fitzy would get cut because he had hit his ceiling. I was very wrong about that. Now I'm curious, under this system, with more experience, just how high is his ceiling? He's very intelligent and seems to process information on the field QUICKLY. He just needs to keep improving on his accuracy.

I've been wrong before, but I don't think he'll pull a Derek Anderson next season. I keep forgetting how young he is.

Fitzy's processor is to Anderson's as quad core is to the time before dual.

Edited by Pilsner

Or, he might just end up being a Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, or Yancy Thigpen.

That's the way be true to form -- look to the dark side Bills stomper never try to cross over from the dark side and look toward the light !!

I love Fitz and will welcome him on this team for as long as he wants. However, I'll wait out this last 10 games to determine if he is legit starter material. But the thing that always surprises me is that Fitz is only 27. He seems a lot older than that. Sometimes if you get enough game reps, the light turns on.