Last playoff game we won was against the Chiefs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmGnHeylbDM&feature=player_embedded

1994 AFC Championship. I was at this game. Let me tell you a quick story.

I lost my job a few weeks earlier. There was no way I could spend money on a Bills ticket. But a snow storm dumped 2 feet of snow on RWS and the Bills were hiring people to shovel, so I went. Let me tell you it was miserable backbreaking work. freezing cold and windy. It felt like we'd never get done. When I was done I went to collect my cash pay and I was handed a ticket to the game along with my money courtesy of Ralph Wilson.

It's hard to believe that the Bills had trouble selling that game out but they did. Maybe it was losing 3 straight Super Bowls that kept folks away. So it's not like they were giving us tickets that could have been sold. But still it was a nice gesture. I gave one guy a ride home. He wasn't there to earn a Bills ticket. He was trying to keep his family warm and fed. he took a bus to RWS that day. No matter how bad you have it, someone else is in worse shape.

PTR

That's a terrific story, Promo. I was also at the game, with my father. I still remember the big grin on his face when the PA announcer mentioned that Thurman's 186 rushing yards were a new Conference (both AFC & NFC) Championship Game record---- and when he pointed out how the backs of Derrick Thomas' and Neil Smith's jerseys were soaked from getting knocked on their asses all day; possibly hyperbole on his part, but the point was made--- the Bills dominated the Chiefs that day. We sat in the endzone and all 3 of Thurman's TDs were right in front of us. It's still my fondest memory of attending a Bills game.

1995 wildcard round: Buffalo 37, Miami 22.

Feh! Details.

PTR

It used to be so much fun watching that/those Bills team play.

Yes it was. That's why I can't believe that folks became so jaded that they would stay home from an AFC Championship game. Now it's true that Rich stadium was still 80,000 seats and it was mostly full by game time, but success will spoil you. There were no internet fan boards in those days but people talked, and Bills fans were pretty down on this team for not winning the big one. Now that we have been wandering in the desert the last 10+ years we'd cut off a limb for a road wild-card game.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

At about the 6:45 mark, Bruce gets double-teamed by the LT & LG, then the C winds up coming over for the triple team. That's respect.

Yeah, you could see Bruce had lost a step by then. Three years earlier, he would have got the sack.

That's a terrific story, Promo. I was also at the game, with my father. I still remember the big grin on his face when the PA announcer mentioned that Thurman's 186 rushing yards were a new Conference (both AFC & NFC) Championship Game record----

That was some brutal blocking (in a good sense). The Bills' line was just crushing the Chiefs' front seven.

Compare that to today, when seeing ten yards downfield on a running play almost certainly means he missed an assignment and is completely confused.

Edited by DC Tom

I don't remember that being so tough to sell out. What I do remember is that the two games before that - they were the coldest games in Bills history........And, we were buying handwarmers, etc. around here like crazy.......And, then the weather turned out pretty good.

This is so bittersweet, because it was Thurman's greatest game as a Bill, and then it would be followed two weeks later by him quitting and the rest of the team following suit.

I don't remember that being so tough to sell out. What I do remember is that the two games before that - they were the coldest games in Bills history........And, we were buying handwarmers, etc. around here like crazy.......And, then the weather turned out pretty good.

This is so bittersweet, because it was Thurman's greatest game as a Bill, and then it would be followed two weeks later by him quitting and the rest of the team following suit.

I also thought the weather was okay that game, don't remember being very cold. What I do remember was having drinks with KC fans at the bar in the airport right after the game. Great, great fans. Also made an ass out of myself trying to talk/hit on whatever with Andrea Kramer. There i was a knuckleheaded, semi inebriated(maybe more than semi), onion,sausage,pepper,beer smelling Bills fan. Shocking I didn't get very far. :wallbash::oops:

youtube.com/watch?v=mmGnHeylbDM&feature=player_embedded

1994 AFC Championship. I was at this game. Let me tell you a quick story.

I lost my job a few weeks earlier. There was no way I could spend money on a Bills ticket. But a snow storm dumped 2 feet of snow on RWS and the Bills were hiring people to shovel, so I went. Let me tell you it was miserable backbreaking work. freezing cold and windy. It felt like we'd never get done. When I was done I went to collect my cash pay and I was handed a ticket to the game along with my money courtesy of Ralph Wilson.

It's hard to believe that the Bills had trouble selling that game out but they did. Maybe it was losing 3 straight Super Bowls that kept folks away. So it's not like they were giving us tickets that could have been sold. But still it was a nice gesture. I gave one guy a ride home. He wasn't there to earn a Bills ticket. He was trying to keep his family warm and fed. he took a bus to RWS that day. No matter how bad you have it, someone else is in worse shape.

PTR

I was there also. What an incredible force the Bills were in those days on both offense and defense.

Terrible, awful, painful, dismal game. Up there with the Lin Elliott game and the 2003 Syracuse game in painfulness. One of the worst ever. Joe Montana is a chump.

It's not Joe Montana's fault the Chiefs defense was steamrolled. Remember the 44-10 Bills-Chiefs divisional playoff game in 1991? That was pretty fun, too ;)

It's not Joe Montana's fault the Chiefs defense was steamrolled. Remember the 44-10 Bills-Chiefs divisional playoff game in 1991? That was pretty fun, too ;)

I was a high school freshman in 94 so 91 was a little before my time. Schottenheimer was a decent coach but all those 90s teams absolutely sucked in the postseason. Going 13-3 to lose the first game of the playoffs at home... ugh.

Haley is doing good things with this team. You will start seeing KC in the postseason again.

I was a high school freshman in 94 so 91 was a little before my time. Schottenheimer was a decent coach but all those 90s teams absolutely sucked in the postseason. Going 13-3 to lose the first game of the playoffs at home... ugh.

Haley is doing good things with this team. You will start seeing KC in the postseason again.

Just a little good natured ribbing! :beer:

The Chiefs being a perennial contender is nothing but good for the NFL. I've always rooted for the other original AFL teams secondarily, so good for you guys in hopefully turning it around.

Edited by Punch

This was probably the best Bills game I have ever went to. Had seats around the 35yrd line 14 rows (from what I recall without pulling the stub) from the field on the Bills sideline...

I remember seeing Thurman walking into the stadium and I yelled, "We need a huge day from you...200 yds and 3 tds would be perfect" :unsure: Everyone was looking at my like I was nuts....He looked at me nodded and said he'd try his best.

I recall seeing Bruce walk in wearing this huge fur coat...and that Montana was crushed my hansen, Wright and Smith - last game of his career...The fans were awesome that day...

Damn we suck so bad now :wallbash::bag:

I really miss those days :cry:

This was probably the best Bills game I have ever went to. Had seats around the 35yrd line 14 rows (from what I recall without pulling the stub) from the field on the Bills sideline...

I remember seeing Thurman walking into the stadium and I yelled, "We need a huge day from you...200 yds and 3 tds would be perfect" :unsure: Everyone was looking at my like I was nuts....He looked at me nodded and said he'd try his best.

I recall seeing Bruce walk in wearing this huge fur coat...and that Montana was crushed my hansen, Wright and Smith - last game of his career...The fans were awesome that day...

Damn we suck so bad now :wallbash::bag:

I really miss those days :cry:

Montana came back with the Chiefs in '95 and actually had a better year. His last game was a (I think WildCard) playoff game in Miami that season.

"We're back. Deal with it, America!"

Perhaps the greatest sign ever held up in a stadium came from that very game. I remember it like yesterday.

Montana is STILL dizzy from the pounding he took. Ironically, Jimbo would go out in a very similar way three years later against Jax.

GO BILLS!!!

Just a little good natured ribbing! :beer:

The Chiefs being a perennial contender is nothing but good for the NFL. I've always rooted for the other original AFL teams secondarily, so good for you guys in hopefully turning it around.

Yeah, it's been too long. To be fair though, the Bills have a tough division. AFCW is a lot easier this year. Being matched up with NE and NYJ cannot be easy.