Bigger impact - #1 pick or reversing the culture of losing

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think reversing the culture of losing is the most important thing, but regardless we don't necessarily need the number 1 pick, it's obvious we will recieve a top 5 pick which is still good enough to get an immediate impact player.

One player does not make the team drastically better but a team attitude can make a everyone much better. I really believe that attitude left over from the DJ era is fading. We need a strong voice on defense though to inspire these players more.

We've been winning 5-7 games for a while now, and that's considered a culture of losing that needs to be reversed.

Most likely the best case scenario would be the same this year, so how much help is it really going to be?

When the games are being played, I can't root for a loss; it just isn't in me. But I think having those high draft picks will do more for the future than another mediocre year with wins that don't go anywhere.

I would like to finish with at least 3 wins though, taking out the division the second time around. :flirt:

Both. The way you reverse the culture of losing is by building a good team with some great players. The Bills have ZERO great players. Since they have proven they have no idea how to draft in the middle of the first round, maybe we can get some help by having a top 2 pick.

We're been talking about 'reversing the culture of losing' for ten years of 7-9, 6-10, 5-11 seasons. 2-14 isn't going to faze me now.

I think the most important thing is that this team shows improvement by the end of the year. Jaurons teams would lose the last 3-4 games every year. The offense has played better and is scoring points. Let's see if the D can start playing better. Having said that, reversing the culture of losing is my choice.

Let's see, how many number 1 overall picks have the Steelers had? It's not where you pick in the draft, it's developing the players you pick and teaching them what it takes to be a winner.

You are correct. It is also who you draft, Maybin, Witner, McCargo, or someone that can play. The bills do alright in the later rounds, Johnson, Williams, Kyle, not mike, etc, but can't hit on the top picks. Is it scouting or coaching staff that say take Witner over Ngata? or Losman over someone else? That is what has to change.

You can't reverse the culture of losing without having the players capable to consistently win games. If you pit the best highschool football team, one that hasn't lost a game in a decade, against the worst NFL team, you know the results.

A culture of winning is established by getting elite-level play from your most important players.

The quarterback is the most important player.

Roger Goodell: "With the Number 1 pick of 2011's NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select - wait, there has been a trade. The Buffalo Bills have traded away their Number 1 pick for a "Culture of Winning" plus a revision of their 1-15 season to 8-8. The Carolina Panthers are now on the clock."

How great would that be?

Culture -- you need to expect to win, not hope to win. Great teams expect to win, and when they get a bad break, they forget it and move on. Watch the games from the early 90's -- the Bills expected to win every game, and they expected to score on every drive. They didn't wait for something good to happen, they made it happen.

Okay, so we pick a QB with the 1st pick. And he plays as well as Fitzpatrick did yesterday and loses. How is that helping anything?

Number one pick, don't fool yourself.

The Bills have had plenty of 7-9 seasons. Throwing a 4-12 on the pile doesn't help anything.

Finishing strong will help bring in the few FAs that the FO decide to target...high profile (less likely) or otherwise.

I'm with ya on this. I think the benefits of showing that the turnaround has begun, that the coaching staff is capable, and that the rest of the team has bought in outweigh the difference between pick 1 and pick 5 (just as an example). I also feel that with so many positions needing upgrades, we might want to trade down and it's sometimes tough to trade the #1 pick but trading #5 for #s 9 and 24 (again just an example) is more doable.