Pat Kirwan Thinks Bills win 4-5 Games This Season

HarkinBanks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b9a6f0/article/offenses-pay-the-price-for-putting-ball-in-the-air?module=HP_spotlight

We are down to one team without a win, as Buffalo fell to 0-6 after an overtime loss at Baltimore. Last year there were three teams without a win at this point in the season (Tennessee, St. Louis, Tampa Bay). A quick reminder that Tennessee finished the 2009 season 8-8, and I wonder if the Bills have that kind of turnaround in them after the way they played Sunday against the Ravens on the road.

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 29 of 43 passes for 374 yards and four touchdowns, hitting eight different receivers. The Bills defense, now in a 4-3 scheme rather than the 3-4 they started the season in, will get better in the next few weeks. I feel like the Bills have four or five wins in their future.

I was thinking the same type of thing this morning, but only in the context of how we would have a complete meltdown with the 'tards around here if the the number one pick is jeopardized.

Yep - as soon as they win a couple of games, people B word. If they keep losing, people B word.

The only way the Bills can win over their fans is to go 19-0.

Yep - as soon as they win a couple of games, people B word. If they keep losing, people B word.

That would be terrible. They would lose out on the number one pick.

:devil:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b9a6f0/article/offenses-pay-the-price-for-putting-ball-in-the-air?module=HP_spotlight

We are down to one team without a win, as Buffalo fell to 0-6 after an overtime loss at Baltimore. Last year there were three teams without a win at this point in the season (Tennessee, St. Louis, Tampa Bay). A quick reminder that Tennessee finished the 2009 season 8-8, and I wonder if the Bills have that kind of turnaround in them after the way they played Sunday against the Ravens on the road.

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 29 of 43 passes for 374 yards and four touchdowns, hitting eight different receivers. The Bills defense, now in a 4-3 scheme rather than the 3-4 they started the season in, will get better in the next few weeks. I feel like the Bills have four or five wins in their future.

Unlike a lot of the pundits, Kirwan actually knows something about football and football players. Good on it that someone of his ilk thinks we're improving.

It's just going to depend, does the team build off this and keep going, or fall flat?

I do think they're starting to drink what Chan is serving - play hard, execute, I don't care if you're an UDFA you'll be starting over the $3 million man.

And yo, $3 million man, if you're benched by the Bills, good luck collecting a salary from someone else.

FITTTZZZZZZZZZ!

The key here will be how the O-line adjusts to defensive scheme changes as the year goes on. Other teams on the schedule are going to be studying the Ravens game film closely, first to see why the line played so well, next to look for any weaknesses. So if the line can adjust to the changes they'll see, then we should have the first real bona fide O-line in years.

Something to build on.

Even that isn't true. I remember the Kelly years when the team would be 9-1 and might have a game where Kelly throws 2 picks and they play from behind but pull it out in the end, as they could do in those days.

I remember people complaining that Kelly needs to sit, the Bills are starting to fall apart, evidence of a lack of cohesion on the team, wahhh wahh wahhh.....

I was thinking the same type of thing this morning, but only in the context of how we would have a complete meltdown with the 'tards around here if the the number one pick is jeopardized.

If we go 5 - 5 the rest of the way, that means Fitz is playing well enough to keep the job longer term, so don't need the no. 1 overall pick (not that Ralph would pay even if we did have it). If we go 2 - 8 the rest of the way, that means Fitz is not Matt Hasselbeck and we need the no 1 overall for a QB. Pretty simple. I think Fitz is going to be good because Chan has always been able to throw the ball and score with whoever he had. Therefore, barring a bunch of IR injuries that blow everything up, my sense is Fitz keeps the job long term, we get the no. 5 pick or something and draft something other than a QB, probably front seven on D.

Who cares what any sports journalist thinks or doesn't think of this team. We had an exciting game but we still LOST. Sure, it's nice to hear people being not so critical, I guess, but until we can actually win a game (which I really believe the best chance to do it is in the next 4 weeks...@KC, vs CHI, vs DET and @ CIN) it's all just nonsense. My biggest hope for this season is to beat RoethlisRAPER and the Steelers this year. If that would be our lone win this year I'll sleep like a baby all offseason.

Edited by machinegun12

Who cares what any sports journalist thinks or doesn't think of this team. We had an exciting game but we still LOST. Sure, it's nice to hear people being not so critical, I guess, but until we can actually win a game (which I really believe the best chance to do it is in the next 4 weeks...@KC, vs CHI, vs DET and @ CIN) it's all just nonsense. My biggest hope for this season is to beat RoethlisRAPER and the Steelers this year. If that would be our lone win this year I'll sleep like a baby all offseason.

You sleep for the entire off season as well? I knew i wasn't alone. :flirt:

If we go 5 - 5 the rest of the way, that means Fitz is playing well enough to keep the job longer term, so don't need the no. 1 overall pick (not that Ralph would pay even if we did have it). If we go 2 - 8 the rest of the way, that means Fitz is not Matt Hasselbeck and we need the no 1 overall for a QB. Pretty simple. I think Fitz is going to be good because Chan has always been able to throw the ball and score with whoever he had. Therefore, barring a bunch of IR injuries that blow everything up, my sense is Fitz keeps the job long term, we get the no. 5 pick or something and draft something other than a QB, probably front seven on D.

Thats a fair assessment, I was talking more about the people that will be crying that the Bills should be throwing games should they start winning a few. These people of course will be ignoring the fact that if you have an organization that is willing to lose games on purpose in order to get a better draft pick, then you have bigger problems than any marquee QB can fix.

Even that isn't true. I remember the Kelly years when the team would be 9-1 and might have a game where Kelly throws 2 picks and they play from behind but pull it out in the end, as they could do in those days.

I remember people complaining that Kelly needs to sit, the Bills are starting to fall apart, evidence of a lack of cohesion on the team, wahhh wahh wahhh.....

I knew those days well...Reich should have been starting, too.

I admit I was a bit hesitant about saying nobody would complain if they went 19-0. Somebody wouldn't be happy that Spiller carried the ball in the wrong hand or Fitzpatrick's spiral is a bit wobbly or Gailey didn't tell us why he went for it on 4th down...

Best shots to win:

1) Detroit

2) Chicago

3) Cleveland

Cleveland would have been the pick, but all the sudden, they're gaining confidence, especially with the shocker over the Saints. Can't say it's because of McCoy. He passed for all of what, 74 yards against the Saints.

1-15 I'm guessing.

I hope we do more than just look at the standings to make that determination. We could still go 0-16 but if every game is like the Ravens game then how could you not keep Fitz at QB?

PTR

I hope we do more than just look at the standings to make that determination. We could still go 0-16 but if every game is like the Ravens game then how could you not keep Fitz at QB?

PTR

:thumbsup: Agreed. If Fitz and the offense keep this up, we should be looking to our defense in the draft.

Best shots to win:

1) Detroit

2) Chicago

3) Cleveland

Cleveland would have been the pick, but all the sudden, they're gaining confidence, especially with the shocker over the Saints. Can't say it's because of McCoy. He passed for all of what, 74 yards against the Saints.

1-15 I'm guessing.

KC and Cinci