Aaron Maybin is playing out of position

Got_Wood

here is the link for a quick look at Maybin's stats-

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Aaron-Maybin/155045d6-7d6b-46bf-957b-676c5668d804

Where there is smoke there is fire. Put the pieces together. Maybin not suiting up for his homecoming game. And Wood calling out Maybin in practice. For him to say that before all his teammates leads me to believe that is the underlying sentiment among Bills players. Either they think Maybin has an attitude problem and/or he does not belong in the nfl IMO

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard him talk much, other than admitting he needs to get better. Regurgitating the zero sack thing is a little passe by now, too. Once again, it makes financial and roster sense to give him year three. If he shows nothing by then, then you get to say your good-byes.

+1, right on the money.

Unfortunately, I believe he found his position this past Sunday. That would be in the press box. The kid was a one year wonder at Penn State. From what I've seen, (and I'm no expert) he just doesn't get it. If he can't even use his speed and athleticism to contribute to special teams, he's gone.

You would think he'd be a monster on special teams ... no big guy blocking him ... just use those athletic skills and speed to get to the ball.

Frankly, his position would be in a flag football league because he doesn't appear to want to hit nor be hit.

I give Gailey credit for making an example of him this week ... all his family and bud's in the stands waiting to see him do nothing and he really did nothing!

Let's get the guys on the field who want to play and just cut those who don't and never look back at them again!

it is passé to expect sacks from our $20 million pass rusher? Yep that was right on the money

The point here is that you shouldn't argue that the guy doesn't have any sacks. You have to be on the field to record a sack. He hasn't been on the field enough this season.

The point here is that you shouldn't argue that the guy doesn't have any sacks. You have to be on the field to record a sack. He hasn't been on the field enough this season.

how do you explain ZERO sacks last year? He played plenty. We took project Maybin over real pass rushers such as Clay Mathews. Great players you can't keep off the field

It's hard to get sacks when you're laying on your ass watching the running back go through the gaping hole you created by trying to go around the Florida peninsula to get from Georgia to Alabama.

how do you explain ZERO sacks last year? He played plenty. We took project Maybin over real pass rushers such as Clay Mathews. Great players you can't keep off the field

He didn't play at all last season. And again, not very happy about taking a project player either. But it would be a huge waste to give up on a 22 year old player that you've essentially already paid for anyway. It's about being smart with a #11 pick investment. That's all.

You would think he'd be a monster on special teams ... no big guy blocking him ... just use those athletic skills and speed to get to the ball.

This is what baffles.

As for his size--if he's listed at the same weights as Urlacher, Bullock, Dansby, and Brooks, then somebody...somewhere...is lying.

Maybin does NOT have a position.

#1- he has no power to be a lineman.

#2- he can NOT stop, cut or change direction to be a linebacker.

Maybin is a BUST.

He is a major flop. The only question remains is when will he be cut?

The problem with building through the draft is that your organization has to know how to do it effectively. There is plenty of evidence that the Bills have no idea what they are doing. There were so many red flags on Maybin it is a shame nobody at One Bills Drive took heed of them.

Why do you suppose he hasn't been on the field? Could it be that he isn't good enough to earn a spot on the field?

He's guaranteed $15 of the $17.6 million from his contract. You're going to pay it no matter, there is no stop loss.

His contract is for $25MM, not $17.6MM; with approximately $13MM gaurenteed and only 2 years into a 5 year deal for the other $10MM-$12MM; they can save a significant sum (and improve the team) by parting ways with him.

His contract is for $25MM, not $17.6MM; with approximately $13MM gaurenteed and only 2 years into a 5 year deal for the other $10MM-$12MM; they can save a significant sum (and improve the team) by parting ways with him.

8/21/2009: Signed a five-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed. Another $7.4 million is available through incentives based on playing time and sacks (WHICH HE WILL NEVER REACH and is the reason he is inactive). 2010: $395,000, 2011: $757,500, 2012: $1.12 million, 2013: $1.4825 million, 2014: $1.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

Why is all the talk about height and weight? Its not about that. Its about being good at football. Some people are, and some people aren’t. there are a lot of 6’4’’ 240lb athletes out there that aren’t in the NFL – and its because they aren’t good at football. Maybin falls into that category, he just isn’t good at football. No matter which position he plays. No matter how much he weighs. He just is not good at football. He never was, and he never will be.

yep! and he just isn't, another draft pick :oops:

8/21/2009: Signed a five-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed. Another $7.4 million is available through incentives based on playing time and sacks (WHICH HE WILL NEVER REACH and is the reason he is inactive). 2010: $395,000, 2011: $757,500, 2012: $1.12 million, 2013: $1.4825 million, 2014: $1.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

Thank you sir. And this is why he stays on the team, and we're patient with his development. No point in throwing away all that money for nothing.

Can someone please help me understand something. It's my understanding that Maybin is supposed to be playing OLB. Why then, every time I see him on the field is he down on all fours in a DE position?

It seems to me that if he has any chance to succeed it's going to be taking advantage of his speed in open spaces, not playing crab on the D line.

Did you watch any preseaon games? Put him in as a linebacker in open space and you can run straight at him and right over him. He is absolutely horrible against the run. He is weak and gets moved easily. His instincts are poor. He best opportunity is as a pass rusher were he can use his speed to get around a tackle and get to the QB.

Of course, we are still waiting for him to accomplish this feat in a real game.

Why is all the talk about height and weight? Its not about that. Its about being good at football. Some people are, and some people aren’t. there are a lot of 6’4’’ 240lb athletes out there that aren’t in the NFL – and its because they aren’t good at football. Maybin falls into that category, he just isn’t good at football. No matter which position he plays. No matter how much he weighs. He just is not good at football. He never was, and he never will be.

Agree. Look at London Fletcher. He is smaller than Maybin, went undrafted out of John Carroll College, yet he has been in the NFL for 13 years without ever missing a game. Coaches love him because he brings it. He has been a captain on every team he was on. He had a SB ring, pro bowls, 1000-ish tackles and lots of big plays.

I look at Maybin and I don't see anything.